OES News 2019/20 Season

hanca

Values her privacy
This Zhuk girl :rofl:
Zhuk was a promising RUS junior skater with Britkov, came in 4th at juniors and 9th at seniors, 2017 iirc.
Later she teamed up with Miroshkin, but well, we never saw them compete.
@Ka3sha is this right or am I mixing things up? Did I forget someone between Britkov/Miroshkin?

So she is a really decent pair girl with lots of potential and actually a good catch for Martin. Now let's hope she gets/is released and they can develop.
You are not mixing her with anyone. She definitely has lots of potential, but she was great two years ago. Will she manage to get at least to the same level as she was then, before Bidar gives up on her? She matured physically and the jumps that were completely consistent did not look that consistent at this competition. I know that they are only at the beginning of their work together, but I expected their skating to be better. Judging by Russian juniors who swap partners in the off season and yet they are ready to compete in the following season, Zhuk/Bidar definitely are not ready.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Well one can only hope that if this Zhuk girl & Bidar team doesn't work and he is available then Aliona Savchenko can return one more time for another shot at Olympic Gold team up with Bidar and makes him olympic champion ala Bruno :D

hanca

Values her privacy
Well one can only hope that if this Zhuk girl & Bidar team doesn't work and he is available then Aliona Savchenko can return one more time for another shot at Olympic Gold team up with Bidar and makes him olympic champion ala Bruno :D
No worries, there would be plenty of other Russian pair girls waiting in a queue for Bidar to try to skate with.

greenapple

Deniss Vasiljevs talked to Tatjana Flade about capturing his first Challenger Series medal at Ondrej Nepela Trophy, how he chose his long program music and his passion for baking.

J

Jeschke

Do we know if Zhuk is finally released?
After Mid Atlantics they were/are not entered for any competition at all 🤷‍♂️

J

Jeschke

Some news about Yoonmi Lehmann and Yasmine Yamada? Where are hey this season?
Both were quite impressive last season.

Sylvia

TBD
For those who missed seeing it in the GP Assignments thread, Loena Hendrickx posted this update on her injuries 3 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4DAKBjJnxC/
Dear all,
I’m so so sad to tell you that I will not be able to get ready for the Grand Prix in France as the Grand Prix in Russia.. due an injury on my right foot, 3 torned ligaments and a fracture. I struggled with this through the whole summer. I was hoping I would compete the whole season, but unfortunately I can’t. I am so devastated and heartbroken at the moment, but I will come back for Europeans and show everyone that I am a fighter!
Love Loena! 💞
Fingers crossed she will be recovered for the second half of the season!

Vagabond

Hmpf.
And we have no reasons?
Injury, secret pregnancy, what's going on? :watch:
There is no mention of any injury anywhere on Lehmann's website, but she does say that she plans to be a psychiatrist and wants to compete at the 2022 Olympics. Maybe she is concentrating on her studies this year so that she concentrate on skating over the next two seasons. :unsure:

Oh, and she's selling off old skating costumes and training clothes. Her ubers can find the links for themselves.

Sylvia

TBD
Ziegler/Kiefer talk about how much Jean-François ("Jeff") Ballester meant to them, among other topics:

“That really changed for us with Jean-Francois coming into the picture,” Kiefer said. “He reset our focus a little bit and made us set bigger goals. He believed in us and made us believe in ourselves even more. He said you’re going to win medals. You have to. You’re ready for this. Go home and work harder and let’s do it. He really instilled that kind of hunger and confidence and belief in ourselves to do better, not just to go out there and see and try.”

Last edited:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Really interesting article. Thank you for posting it.

Good to highlight that skaters from smaller skating countries are self funded and how difficult that can be.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Warsaw Cup men's sp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3er-gtJoD3M Lukas Britschgi SUI (7)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3er-gtJoD3M Roman Galay FIN (5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eh-u_JwcpU Daniel Albert Naurits EST (6)

Some promising young male skaters from European countries that aren't generally strong in the men's discipline in recent years, or in most disciplines for that matter. Of course Switzerland once had the wildly talented Lambiel who is now a very good coach.

Speaking of Lambiel, Deniss V skated very well in the sp at Rostelecom Cup. Hopefully, DV will continue to shine in the fp, and eventually get a solid quad under his wing. He's an exceptional performer, who apparently is trying to learn how to be creatively free in his performances while remaining focused on successfully managing technical elements.

Perhaps Lambiel will be able to help Shoma get over his angst and rediscover/ realign with his mojo, as well as reconnect with why he's skating.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Zhuk/Bidar skated this weekend at inner-fed czech competition. 149,59pts in total (SP 48,98pts, FS 100,61pts).
Well, we are still waiting for the release to happen to see them internationally :(

hanca

Values her privacy
Zhuk/Bidar skated this weekend at inner-fed czech competition. 149,59pts in total (SP 48,98pts, FS 100,61pts).
Well, we are still waiting for the release to happen to see them internationally :(
Maybe there is no point waiting fro release. In five months he will swap Zhuk for someone better anyway.

hanca

Values her privacy
Pah! I am not giving up on my hope for Bidar yet!
Zhuk doesn’t look quite the same as she did when she skated so well a few years ago. The video that was posted with them skating together at their first competition, she looked to me quite out of shape. That would clearly have implications for her jumps, and for all lifts. Based on the score of this last competition, it seems that the same problems are still ongoing. Will Bidar be patient and give it time, or will he start looking elsewhere? To me, he didn’t seem like the most patient guy. I have my opinion about what he will do, but let’s wait, we will see.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Not to detract from Bradie's disappointment at the Warsaw Cup, because I know she's a fighter and will come back strongly at the GPF.

But Poland's Ekaterina Kurakova was outstanding at this event, and is making a name for herself as one to watch. She reminds me somewhat of Tanja Szewczenko, Anna Rechnio, and Oksana Baiul, where her program is all about the performance and not just the elements.

Great to see her do so well on home turf, too.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
J

Jeschke

I don’t get RUS fed release politics; they let Miliukov go that easily (kinda same with Tkachenko and Khaliavin) who showed good results.
What is the point holding on to Zhuk?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I don’t get RUS fed release politics; they let Miliukov go that easily (kinda same with Tkachenko and Khaliavin) who showed good results.
What is the point holding on to Zhuk?
My personal speculation: depends where they are going may be? Aka Belarussian figure skating happens in Russia mainly anyway; Tkachenko was retired and he only came back to skate with Tobias - it's not as if he would have skated with anyone else. Am really not sure why did they release Khaliavin, but am grateful they did.

hanca

Values her privacy
But they are very inconsistent with the releases. Didn’t release Akopova (junior pair girl who doesn’t seem to have great results).

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Back to OES news...

Congratulations to Guzide Irmak Bayir for winning the bronze medal at the Bosphorous Cup in Istanbul this weekend. She's improved significantly this season and achieved minimum Worlds TES for the LP here (she was .13 short for the SP TES). She is fun to watch, with big triples and a really fun performer. :cheer:

Also at Bosphorus, Olga Mikutina (Austria) won with 166 points. Coupled with her silver at Golden Besar (172 points), she's putting together a solid season. How does Austria select their Euros team? Does Pesendorfer have a shot at nationals?

Alina Urushadze (GEO) also attempted 3Lz3Lo here, winning bronze, but was hit with a plethora of < calls.

J

Jeschke

How does Austria select their Euros team?
3 best events combined (every senior b, cs, gp or nationals)

Does Pesendorfer have a shot at nationals?
No.
Her best score (160pts Prague Cup) is worse than Mikutina's 3rd best score (162pts CS EST).
I'll post the complete calculation in the nationals thread before austrian championships.

But without miracles, Mikutina seems safe. Wonder what they will do with the JW spot.

J

Jeschke

According to this article, these are the results of Lithuanian Championships 2019.

1. Golovkina 138,72 (56,55 SP)
2. Kropa 128,91 (best FS)
3. Morkyte 126,62

#EurosRace was decided with 2 international scores + national scores:
1. Golovkina 410,08
2. Morkyte 368,30
3. Kropa 348,70

I am really happy for Golovkina (though I am no fan of the boring FS and wished she would go for another round of her Mozart FS :p )
Great comeback of her this season :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information