Kévin Aymoz fan thread

whiteskates

What would western European skating be without the French? Not much in way of originality and watchability! The French are special. I became a fan of Aymoz last year and was very happy for him yesterday when he got the bronze. Hope to see him live soon.

DreamSkates

What would western European skating be without the French? Not much in way of originality and watchability! The French are special. I became a fan of Aymoz last year and was very happy for him yesterday when he got the bronze. Hope to see him live soon.
Creativity for sure. I still remember Cadeloro's skating. So memorable, interesting and fun to watch.

dinakt

Team train wreck has been on the Aymoz bandwagon for years. This little boy is a true original and finally starting to come into his own :respec: :rockstar: :rollin:
Truer words were never spoken. True original, yes!
I have also been a big fan since his Junior days. Never thought Aymoz would get to the big leagues and am thrilled he is doing so well while remaining unique, original, compelling, musical, vulnerable... just so very interesting!

nimi

Recent (but pre-IdF) interview with Kévin, there's audio but also a transcript:

This bit I found interesting. Judging by how quickly he recovered from that botched lutz in the SP and how well he delivered the rest of the program, this "box" approach is working!
When you're performing, what is in your head? Are you thinking about jump after jump, are you thinking about your performance?

Oh my god, during my programs, my brain is thinking about so much stuff. I'm thinking of my jumps, I'm thinking of competitions, I'm thinking of everything at the same time. I'm like "Oh my god!!" So I work with John and Silvia to do every element of the program like a box. So, I don't know how to say, it's like a box. The first technical element is a box, and when you're done with this box, you put this box away. And you change the box, and move this box, and change - so it's like one element at a time.

It's like step by step?

Yes, yes. I'm gonna explain but it's so bad. It's like the stuff where you put your clothes in your home. Everything's like when you put stuff in and then you close it, and after the next one you close it, and after the next one you close it. It's like that, so every element is a part, and when the jump is over you close it, but after this one you can't go back and you need to be there for the next one.

nimi

The men's event at the GPF might be unpredictable, but one thing is easy to predict: there will be crying in the kiss'n'cry! (GS article)
“Today was hard for me to fight, but I did the best I could tonight. I am just happy to be there on skates. It’s going to be my first Grand Prix Final. It wasn’t my goal for the season, so I am just going to take the experience from this. My coach Silvia Fontana did her Olympic performance on that rink (Torino), so there will be a lot of emotion for me at this Grand Prix Final.”
ICYMI: Silvia skating (and beaming and crying) in Torino

ETA: his emo gala program (non-geoblocked version)

Last edited:

ldec

Well done to Kevin in the SP at GPF yesterday. Now please, keep your head cool, just go out there, do your thing and enjoy yourself but in a channeled, focused manner though. So basically not completely your stuff, more of that hyper focused thing you did yesterday.
Gooooo Kevin, yesterday was pure sass and magic. He was so ON!
Go Kevin! It was a pleasant surprise that he didn't lose his focus despite the music trouble. GP final's medal is within a reach! I bet lots of top skaters will go to Fontana as a choreographer next season due to Kevin's magical executions! :D:cheer2:

Agree with all the positives and superlatives that have been listed here. His performance was pure bliss. I enjoyed it the most out of the whole bunch yesterday and I hope he can follow up with another good skate he could be proud of.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Go Kevin! It was a pleasant surprise that he didn't lose his focus despite the music trouble.

Well, Fontana & Zimmerman already have practically been coaching most of the French skaters, as a direct result of their uber success in collaborating with/ coaching James/Cipres.

Fontana appears to have a special relationship with Kevin, almost like an older sister or a Mom. Kevin is so creative and emotionally connected to his performances. Kevin should have got 100 pts with extra points bonus for the fact that someone either inadvertently or purposely tried to mess with Kevin's focus at the beginning of his performance, especially with him skating first. I was so happy for him that he stayed focused and determined and slam-dunked, like he was having fun! :love:

I thought Kevin might receive at least 98 points for how well he skated (I dislike how they seem to purposely drag out revealing the scores in order to get a huge reaction -- this drawing out is done to replace the lack of 6.0 magic in the kiss 'n cry).

I notice the judges did not give Hanyu minus GOE on his stumble and turn-out on one of his jumps. Anyone else would have been docked. It seems to me that the judges were trying to boost Hanyu's scores. I understand that Hanyu garners respect as a two-time Olympic gold medalist, and he's superior when he's on. But he missed on a jump, and this is an old program, and Kevin was better than Hanyu on the day and should have slightly edged Hanyu in the scoring, IMO.

It was a very enjoyable performance by Kevin. Of the men, Nathan and Kevin were the stand-outs.

Sylvia

TBD
OT reply:
I notice the judges did not give Hanyu minus GOE on his stumble and turn-out on one of his jumps.
Every judge gave Hanyu the required minus 5 deduction for not completing the 4T in combination (check the protocols).

GREAT JOB in the SP, Kevin! :cheer: Luca Lanotte interviewed him afterwards:

Here's hoping he will have a FS he's happy with tomorrow.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Every judge gave Hanyu the required minus 5 deduction for not completing the 4T in combination (check the protocols

Sure, I'm going by what I saw on screen. I know that isn't the last word. But there were no deductions shown at all on the ticker for that jump during Hanyu's performance. Maybe the tech panel called it late or something.

Best of luck to lovely and talented Kevin Aymoz! :love:

angi

Sure, I'm going by what I saw on screen. I know that isn't the last word. But there were no deductions shown at all on the ticker for that jump during Hanyu's performance. Maybe the tech panel called it late or something.
If you go back and watch the program again, there was no deduction after the jump because there wasn't a score for the element, it appeared as an element with 0.0 BV and 0.0 GOE.

Back on topic though, Kevin gave the performance of his life and I was proud of him for not losing focus after the music mishap. Fingers crossed he will come into the FS with the same confidence, focus, and determination.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Fire Baton twirling at that, or maybe we can save this if he becomes European Champion but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Congrats for handling the pressure like a pro, if he can just keep the outcry at the very last second of his programs and in the K&C, he will be a force to reckon with. That and maybe couple more quads in the FP.

nimi

Congrats to Kevin! Loved the signature bawling at K&C.
Oh yeah congrats to KEVIN AYMOZ THE 2019 GPF MEDALIST!!! How is this real life?! 🥉
Let the happy tears flow!!

Congrats for handling the pressure like a pro, if he can just keep the outcry at the very last second of his programs and in the K&C, he will be a force to reckon with. That and maybe couple more quads in the FP.
He said he might try the 4S in his next competition

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information