Sasha Cohen engaged, expecting a baby

gkelly

I can't speak for Sasha.

I have known a number of slightly older couples who have started trying for a baby at the same time as planning for a wedding, knowing that pregnancy might not happen easily. And then sometimes it does happen before the wedding plans are complete.

sk8girl

Which is different than the people who do believe in it but decide they aren't ready for the commitment but are ready to have a kid together - which is a much bigger commitment. That is what I find perplexing.

I'm guessing that in that situation, though, a lot of couples didn't necessarily plan to have the kid together just then. They may not actually be ready for that commitment either, but it happened so they are just doing their best to handle it.

(But I definitely agree that it would seem surprising for people who believe in marriage to actually plan to have a child before they feel ready for the commitment of marriage.)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'm guessing that in that situation, though, a lot of couples didn't necessarily plan to have the kid together just then. They may not actually be ready for that commitment either, but it happened so they are just doing their best to handle it.

(But I definitely agree that it would seem surprising for people who believe in marriage to actually plan to have a child before they feel ready for the commitment of marriage.)

A musician that I like and his girlfriend (now wife) had the baby first, then got married, and then moved in together. He was kind of proud that they did the whole marriage-and-family thing in reverse order :rofl:

soogar

Those two had been together for years - prior to her first marriage and now. They still have time to make it legal in a civil ceremony or maybe she wants to have the baby first and then have time to look great in her wedding dress.

Either way, does anyone really care if people are married when they have children? I was a "love child" from the 70's when there was allegedly more "stigma" attached, however no one really seemed to care if people are married when they have a child. There are lots of unwed parents out there and Sasha doesn't seem particularly religious that it would even matter.

moebius

Marriage doesn't mean much these days. At least half of them end in divorce at some point. Not getting married makes it easier and less messier to part ways if things don't work out. Humans are not like love birds who are more capable of being monogamous. The only reason why some humans stay with the same partner forever is because they are not allowed to divorce for cultural reasons or it will bring shame. Of course there are those that stay with the same partner forever because they truly want to be together for the rest of their lives. But that is a very small percentage of couples. As long as there is a loving and healthy relationship between couples, that is all that matters. You don't have to be married to have that kind of relationship. You can be married, but be in an abusive and painful relationship.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Those two had been together for years - prior to her first marriage and now. They still have time to make it legal in a civil ceremony or maybe she wants to have the baby first and then have time to look great in her wedding dress.

Either way, does anyone really care if people are married when they have children? I was a "love child" from the 70's when there was allegedly more "stigma" attached, however no one really seemed to care if people are married when they have a child. There are lots of unwed parents out there and Sasha doesn't seem particularly religious that it would even matter.
I care. I am old school. And Sasha already had a fairy tale wedding. And, yes, there are lots of un-wed parents.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should .

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I care. I am old school. And Sasha already had a fairy tale wedding. And, yes, there are lots of un-wed parents.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should .

The baby is going to be born to two parents that are ready for a child, that are excited to welcome him, that can give him a safe and happy home, and that are able to take care of him and love him. But sure, let's ignore those things and get bent out of shape because the parents aren't married :rolleyes:

Last edited:

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
I can't speak for Sasha.

I have known a number of slightly older couples who have started trying for a baby at the same time as planning for a wedding, knowing that pregnancy might not happen easily. And then sometimes it does happen before the wedding plans are complete.
I actually have had more than a few friends and colleagues(all well to do professionals) who made sure they could get pregnant first before they made the legal decision to intertwine their lives, medical care, and finances through marriage...:shuffle:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Wow, you're not kidding. Too rounded to be a coffee table, too low to be a TV tray, no pockets to store stuff. Just seems to be a random sculpture placed in the pathway of the living room.

becca

She is 35 a wedding takes time to plan its possible they prioritized trying for a child right away. It’s not something I would do but I can see why some might.

I would never agree to have baby with someone who didn’t want to marry me. Yes child is huge commitment folks who aren’t married far more likely to split up.

But if they already made the decision to wed I can see why they would try for baby.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
folks who aren’t married far more likely to split up.

But (at least in Canada) many common-law couples have already been married or in a previous common-law relationship. So they probably already know what they want out of a relationship, and are more willing or able to walk away if things aren't fixable. It's not that common-law relationships are somehow less stable than marriages.

Last edited:

becca

But (at least in Canada) many common-law couples have already been married or in a previous common-law relationship. So they probably already know what they want out of a relationship, and are more willing or able to walk away if things aren't fixable. It's not that common-law relationships are somehow less stable than marriages.
At least in US studies show differently. Personally though pregnancy isn’t a reason for marriage. I am old school in i think stable relationship and kids come out of that. And so that had to be the primary relationship.
But I guess I feel you don’t trust someone to be connected legally financially should you have a kid with them?

Japanfan

At least in US studies show differently. Personally though pregnancy isn’t a reason for marriage. I am old school in i think stable relationship and kids come out of that. And so that had to be the primary relationship.
But I guess I feel you don’t trust someone to be connected legally financially should you have a kid with them?

It can be wise for couples to keep their finances separate, barring shared expenses. If one gets into big financial trouble, that person doesn't take the other down along with her or him.

Last edited:

Skating0310

At least Sasha tells it like it is, honest and true, no hideous Instagram posts, like some other skater who initials are E.L. and about to get married in a couple of weeks, an arranged marriage in Thailand. It’s so sad how so many believe his lies, the only skater who does this.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
At least Sasha tells it like it is, honest and true, no hideous Instagram posts, like some other skater who initials are E.L. and about to get married in a couple of weeks, an arranged marriage in Thailand. It’s so sad how so many believe his lies, the only skater who does this.

What an interesting turnaround!

ashk8177

I was so impressed with her maturity on the Peter Attia podcast. Does anyone know what happened between her and Nastia Liukin? They used to post pictures together all the time and call each other best friends, but now they have both unfollowed each other.

theredpepper

I was so impressed with her maturity on the Peter Attia podcast. Does anyone know what happened between her and Nastia Liukin? They used to post pictures together all the time and call each other best friends, but now they have both unfollowed each other.

Nastia has gone through a lot of “best friends” who were featured prominently on her social media and then disappeared over the years. I’d be inclined to think the problem was not Sasha.

Nadya

It can be wise for couples to keep their finances separate, barring shared expenses. If one gets into big financial trouble, that person doesn't take the other down along with her or him.
If you're married, it doesn't matter if you keep your finances separate in practice. It's all marital property in the divorce court.

Nadya

Marriage doesn't mean much these days. At least half of them end in divorce at some point. Not getting married makes it easier and less messier to part ways if things don't work out. Humans are not like love birds who are more capable of being monogamous. The only reason why some humans stay with the same partner forever is because they are not allowed to divorce for cultural reasons or it will bring shame. Of course there are those that stay with the same partner forever because they truly want to be together for the rest of their lives. But that is a very small percentage of couples. As long as there is a loving and healthy relationship between couples, that is all that matters. You don't have to be married to have that kind of relationship. You can be married, but be in an abusive and painful relationship.
Actually marriage does mean a lot these days, and it's also a class marker. It has declined in the working class and underclass segments, but middle class and especially UMC folks tend to marry and stay married. A legal union also correlates with greater prosperity and better outcomes for children of that union.

Half of all marriages may end in divorce, but that average doesn't mean much - as we say in my country, "average temperature in our hospital is normal" - because it's an average drawn from the intensive care AND the morgue. The divorce rate for white people with college degrees who marry after 29 years of age is around 12%.

I am sure Cohen will marry the father of her child. It is very uncommon for someone of her socioeconomic background not to.

Congratulations to the parents-to-be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information