CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

Desperado

That was my favourite program from Katia and Benoît and the first time I've seen her smile on the ice.

Additional tidbit, on his hockey show Benoît mentioned that he hurt his neck practicing "moving Katia around his neck like a scarf". (Funnier in French… :D)

rdavies

I wonder if anyone agrees with me but I found this the least entertaining show so far. And Kurt loves Katia and does not care for Natalie.

PJ and V go out with class, as expected.

If Orr and Evora aren't off the show next week I don't know if I will ever watch the show again, I bitched in the past over Evora and Thornton but Orr and Evora are off the charts not good.

Desperado

Violetta is tearing up.:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed This show is so cruel. I still love it though…

EDA: Maybe Colton hurt himself with that scary lift, will no longer be able to perform and PJ and Violetta will have to come back like the last time they were on?

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Nice little fluff show, sorry i missed it live with some of my FSU pals, nice it is all for charity. Scott an Tessa are guest skaters next week. My favourite skate purely from entertainment perspective were Kaitlin and Sheldon. Right couple went home imho.

Alvyne

I thought Meagan was a much better judge than Tessa...

Ron said the skate off will be at the beginning of the show next week, I wonder how this is going to work… usually at top 3 they do 2 routines, one new and repeat an old one.

rdavies

Performance #1: Natalie & Andrew
Music: "Powerful" by Major Lazer (feat. Ellie Goulding)
Music choice killed it for me, routine for me wasn't any better second time around, usually they are, because I am concentrating on them and not watching and posting here, but not this one.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
How come no one has commented on Meagan's haircut? That used to be good for 3 pages, at least. I thought she looked very different and cute. No mention of her " interesting condition" either.
And as always, for me, the best parts of the show were scenes with Elladj in them. 😘

Last edited:

rdavies

She is fearless, he looked like he wanted to pull the chute and she forced him to keep going, I thought he might have pulled a Colby trying not to drop her.
Less scary the second time around but I still wonder if it was fright, relief or injury on his face after the lift.

rdavies

I don't know why, but I'm getting jaded, Sheldon does great lifts but that performance affected me the least of any they've done so far, and I like the tune. I'll rewatch and see if I like the performances better later.
Sheldon screws up, laughs it off and continues, he's brilliant. He was breathin' hard at the end, performance was more laboured than any of their others so far.

screech

Even though I didn't love this week's performance, IMO Sheldon and Kaitlyn are still in a class of their own. The others focus on getting from one trick to another, but they focus on the actual skating. And aside from the pairs tricks, he works on learning individual elements. Like doing a full rotation jump in both directions this week. Or the twizzles last week.

I find they also have the absolute best chemistry of all the teams. They look like they genuinely love spending time together, and it shows in their performances.

I think I would have had Katia slightly ahead of Kaitlyn this week, though definitely not a 6.0. And would have Andrew ahead of Amanda.

I wish they would have the judges write down their scores for the first team in the skate-off so they aren't just making it up as they go.

And Meagan is the best guest judge they've had all season. And huge kudos to her for doing it while she looks like she's ready to pop!

fruchick

I already made fun of this on social, but after PJ interrupted Kurt and joked "6.1!" they actually keyed that in instead of Kurt's mark (Kurt seen here mimicking my reaction). Canadian production at its finest!

C4l8qMq.jpg

Skate Talker

Even though I didn't love this week's performance, IMO Sheldon and Kaitlyn are still in a class of their own. The others focus on getting from one trick to another, but they focus on the actual skating. And aside from the pairs tricks, he works on learning individual elements. Like doing a full rotation jump in both directions this week. Or the twizzles last week.

I find they also have the absolute best chemistry of all the teams. They look like they genuinely love spending time together, and it shows in their performances.

I think I would have had Katia slightly ahead of Kaitlyn this week, though definitely not a 6.0. And would have Andrew ahead of Amanda.

I wish they would have the judges write down their scores for the first team in the skate-off so they aren't just making it up as they go.

And Meagan is the best guest judge they've had all season. And huge kudos to her for doing it while she looks like she's ready to pop!
Agree with 99% of your post - well put. Just wouldn't have Katia even slightly ahead of Kaitlyn.
I already made fun of this on social, but after PJ interrupted Kurt and joked "6.1!" they actually keyed that in instead of Kurt's mark (Kurt seen here mimicking my reaction). Canadian production at its finest!
Was this screen shot doctored? If not they fixed it before it was shown in my timezone - no 6.1 on my screen, lol. Pretty funny either way.

Lanja

Could there be a clause in Katia's contract that specifies she must make the top 3/top 2? Being overseas I can only watch the individual performances and not the whole show with judges' comments, but from the posts here it sounds like Kurt in particular is trying to justify keeping them around for no particular reason.

liv

I was glad Katia stayed. I have had them in my top 3 throughout the show. I really don't notice that he's a hockey player out there compared to the others. I saw a blended program where the moves went together pretty seamlessly...Kurt.. 6.0... he really wanted no one to doubt his choice.

Kaityn and Sheldon. THey should win this. They've been great from their debut program. He really is giving it his all both seem to be enjoying this experience.

I do NOT get the love for Spooner/Poje... even my admiration for him cannot overcome it.

Amanda/Colton. I continue to be amazed at how they avoid the bottom 2... and that program was scary. He really looks like he's struggling out there.

Meaghan looks so different. I knew it was her, but what a round faced little Mommy to be she is right now!! I thought she had some excellent comments and enjoyed her guest judge spot here.

is it just me or is the quality of this year's skating not as good as in other years?

trouble77

Banned Member
Being overseas....

I use a free VPN on my phone, and I select Canada as a country of choice. I have been able to enjoy the entire show.

rdavies

is it just me or is the quality of this year's skating not as good as in other years?
It's not just you, if it wasn't for Weaver and especially Kennedy this season would be a disaster. Think of it, a 50 year old, out of the game for 20 years, is making everybody look bad, compared to him.

Sk8tn

I was glad Katia stayed. I have had them in my top 3 throughout the show. I really don't notice that he's a hockey player out there compared to the others. I saw a blended program where the moves went together pretty seamlessly...Kurt.. 6.0... he really wanted no one to doubt his choice.

Kaityn and Sheldon. THey should win this. They've been great from their debut program. He really is giving it his all both seem to be enjoying this experience.

I do NOT get the love for Spooner/Poje... even my admiration for him cannot overcome it.

Amanda/Colton. I continue to be amazed at how they avoid the bottom 2... and that program was scary. He really looks like he's struggling out there.

Meaghan looks so different. I knew it was her, but what a round faced little Mommy to be she is right now!! I thought she had some excellent comments and enjoyed her guest judge spot here.

For me, as an adult ice dancer in my early 50s, it’s no question that Sheldon is the best by a wide margin. However, Spooner‘s speed, cleanness and difficulty of turns, and relationship to the music are second only to Sheldon among the hockey players.

Japanfan

Could there be a clause in Katia's contract that specifies she must make the top 3/top 2? Being overseas I can only watch the individual performances and not the whole show with judges' comments, but from the posts here it sounds like Kurt in particular is trying to justify keeping them around for no particular reason.

Katia has always been a superstar, going back to when she was the sweetheart of the 1988 Olympics, perhaps further.

But to me it is Kaitlyn Weaver who is stealing the limelight in this competition. And it's wonderful to see her shine, especially since she and Andrew spent so many years living/skating in the shadow of V/M. Sheldon does support her well and shines on his own in the competition. But I find myself watching Kaitlyn more than I do him.

How come no one has commented on Meagan's haircut? That used to be good for 3 pages, at least. I thought she looked very different and cute. No mention of her " interesting condition" either.

He face has gotten very round due to the pregnancy. She looks adorable and I'm sure she is getting teased about it plenty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information