CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

Desperado

Bad night for Bruno to be injured, having to do two programs. So the bottom two prepared two routines and one couple did it for nothing? Hmm...

rdavies

I think I am out of the loop here. Why are they repeating past routines, to fill the hour? Is there a vote? I thought the three teams all went to next week for the finale. This year the competition has not been as enjoyable as in the past (for me) It seems rushed, are there less teams?

honey

I was under the impression that this is the last night of skates that count for votes. Ron said at the top that after voting off the bottom pair, that was the end for the judges marks and Canada would decide the winner. Therefore, I think this is it for performances that count.

Desperado

I think I am out of the loop here. Why are they repeating past routines, to fill the hour? Is there a vote? I thought the three teams all went to next week for the finale. This year the competition has not been as enjoyable as in the past (for me) It seems rushed, are there less teams?
I’m confused too. Why not give marks for at least one of the programs? I didn’t like the two programs idea because it gave us two many “messy” routines. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed seeing Bruno and Katia program from last week.

And it’s probably sacrilegious to say so, but I think Virtue & Moir have overstayed their welcome coming back next week.

rdavies

I was under the impression that this is the last night of skates that count for votes. Ron said at the top that after voting off the bottom pair, that was the end for the judges marks and Canada would decide the winner. Therefore, I think this is it for performances that count.
I am watching the time shift and I think that is what he said, also pisses me off how the judges (especially Kurt) are selling Katia for the win.

Spooner skate was better on second viewing, paying more attention.

rdavies

And it’s probably sacrilegious to say so, but I think Virtue & Moir have overstayed their welcome coming back next week.
Yes, but Tessa is less annoying than some other things tonight. I always listen to my TV with headphones on, I want to hear what she said after Kurt threw them under the bus, I think she made a comment (deservedly so)

Edit: I believe she said "That's awful, that is awful"

Last edited:

rdavies

I know you're not a fan. But perhaps you can tone it down now that they've been eliminated. What is your agenda anyway?
WTF? I've seen every moment of every show for every season. What's my agenda? I don't want to see somebody crack their skull on the ice on live television like I did when Doug Ladret dropped Christine Hough, that's my $&@#% agenda!

apollo13

WTF? I've seen every moment of every show for every season. What's my agenda? I don't want to see somebody crack their skull on the ice on live television like I did when Doug Ladret dropped Christine Hough, that's my $&@#% agenda!

That's not your agenda. You have been saying very negative things about them (as well as Scott Thornton) all along from the get go. People notice - I notice.

Amanda won't do it if she feels her partner is not capable. Now that they're out, stop with your nasty asides.

rdavies

That's not your agenda. You have been saying very negative things about them (as well as Scott Thornton) all along from the get go. People notice - I notice.

Amanda won't do it if she feels her partner is not capable. Now that they're out, stop with your nasty asides.
Please don't tell me what to think, there's no nasty asides, he was not a good skater, full stop. Sorry if you are an Amanda fan, so am I, but dancers throughout the history of this show have gotten no respect, until Sheldon. Amanda and Colton should never have made it this far and you are likely one of the very few to think so.

I don't want to see somebody get hurt, WTH? Yeah, those lifts were perfectly executed, perfectly safe, un huh. You must have a death wish if you were comfortable watching her make him finish that lift the first time.

apollo13

Please don't tell me what to think, there's no nasty asides, he was not a good skater, full stop. Sorry if you are an Amanda fan, so am I, but dancers throughout the history of this show have gotten no respect, until Sheldon. Amanda and Colton should never have made it this far and you are likely one of the very few to think so.

A lot of people vote them in, that's why despite the judges marks, they have been safe till tonight. And since Amanda is a Florida skater who retired in 2012, virtually unknown and no following in Canada - people must have been voting for Colton!!! Maybe they like him a lot more than you do. They have seen improvement in his skating.

This is the Battle of the Blades - technically the contestants are the hockey players.

If you prefer ice dancers, maybe you should agitate for a "Battle of the Ice Dancers". Or Dancing with the Stars! How about that!

apollo13

Exactly, and would you care to run a poll here to have people say who the best figure skating hockey player is?

"Any pair boy will tell you that launching a pair girl into a throw or a twist is a hard-earned and difficult skating skill. His partner is not a javelin or a shotput which can be thrown with abandon. Lifting your partner over your shoulder while trying to skate is another skating skill that novice pair boys take months and months to learn, and these hockey players are expected to do with ease in a couple of weeks. These two skills just are as difficult, and more dangerous than twizzles, Choctaws and mohawks"

I said this before and I will say it again. Above the shoulder lifts, twists and throws as far as I know are difficult skating skills. Both Bruno, Colton and Vanessa's partner have done these skills with relative ease. So at least give them credit for that. Who are the best skaters of the hockey players? That's why there are judges and fans voting.

BUT UNLIKE YOU I don't disparage any of the hockey players on this board. I don't diminish their accomplishments.

screech

I find they add absolutely nothing to the show, other than their names. I also find that in public speaking, they both (mainly her) come across a bit fake. I think that Meagan was the absolute best judge of the season, hands down.

To me, there's no contest who should win. Sheldon is by far the best skater out of all the hockey players, plus he could perform, showed range, and had an actual connection with his skating partner.

Based on tonight though, I'd have Katia and Bruno second, Natalie and Andrew third.

coppertop1

We are talking about the show and if (like in past years) producers are following this thread then I, as a fan, am going to give my opinion, ok?
You and Apollo wer arguing. No need to be so aggressive. I just asked you two get back to discussing and stop bickering

rdavies

BUT UNLIKE YOU I don't disparage any of the hockey players on this board. I don't diminish their accomplishments.
And I haven't, I said your boy isn't the best skater by any metric, that's not disparaging, it's a fact, don't let your blindness for Amanda rule your judgment. I love spoon, but I can be critical of her and see Sheldon has done better.

apollo13

And I haven't, I said your boy isn't the best skater by any metric, that's not disparaging, it's a fact, don't let your blindness for Amanda rule your judgment. I love spoon, but I can be critical of her and see Sheldon has done better.

And I hope Katia and Bruno win!!!

Alvyne

I think Katia and Bruno were the best tonight, despite the injury. Bruno might not be the best at emoting, but he has good skating skills and presents Katia well. I think they are the smoothest overall. Loved the lift where Katia is upside down in the air (it looked like the one Charlie and Lubov are doing).

Natalie has tons of energy, but sometimes it looks uncontrolled and can cause some mistakes, which happened tonight. She is improving every week and her smile is contagious. She loves it out there.

Like someone said upthread, I think Kaitlyn and Sheldon have hit a plateau on their abilities, but they should win and probably will, unless they split the vote with Natalie and Andrew. That's always what have happened in the past when there was two good dance teams in the finals, the pairs team won.

Satellizer

existing
I think Katia and Bruno were the best tonight, despite the injury. Bruno might not be the best at emoting, but he has good skating skills and presents Katia well. I think they are the smoothest overall. Loved the lift where Katia is upside down in the air (it looked like the one Charlie and Lubov are doing).
That upside-down lift is a Sale/Pelletier move they did a lot during their professional career.
Natalie has tons of energy, but sometimes it looks uncontrolled and can cause some mistakes, which happened tonight. She is improving every week and her smile is contagious. She loves it out there.
Although I've become less enamored with this team as the weeks have gone by I still love and admire her energy.
Like someone said upthread, I think Kaitlyn and Sheldon have hit a plateau on their abilities, but they should win and probably will, unless they split the vote with Natalie and Andrew. That's always what have happened in the past when there was two good dance teams in the finals, the pairs team won.
Yeees, Kaitlyn and Sheldon should (and rightfully so) win as they've got the judges and audience support. I'd think it wouldn't look good for the show to crown Katia and Bruno winners when they don't have huge support from the public. And I'm also someone who values the artistic side as much as the technical side and I'm still not buying Bruno's stone face.:slinkaway

Edit: I rewatched Katia and Bruno and I must give credit as he did a little more in the face today which was nice. Also spotted 2 other choreographic pieces used from Sale/Pelletier. I think Renee Roca choreographed for them too.

Last edited:

rdavies

Although I've become less enamored with this team as the weeks have gone by I still love and admire her energy.
and I'm still not buying Bruno's stone face.
Agree with both comments, I can't put my finger on why spoon's routines don't seem as enjoyable as they were before. Are they too similar? Check out her look when the two teams were side by side, she looked ready to go to war, I'm not sure if the pressure was getting to her. Not sure, but after Canadian Girl I think she mouthed "Shit!" Can't blame her. Don't quote me on that, I'd have to see it again.

rvi5

Kaitlyn and Sheldon improved that head banger. The first time they performed it, Sheldon had to lower Kaitlyn onto the ice before she got up. This time she exited the rotations onto her skates. Not bad considering neither are Pairs skaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information