CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

rdavies

The dreaded toe pick: Why hockey players hate it but figure skaters need it
Battle of the Blades CBC.ca Oct 28, 2019

Battle of the Blades choreographer Julie Marcotte teaches us about the function of the toe pick and why figure skaters need them. 1:18

They are a hockey player's number one nemesis: the dreaded toe pick.

Toe picks are located at the front end of a figure skate. They're small, sawlike ridges at the front of a skate that assist figure skaters in executing their tricks, jumps and lands on the ice. Throughout Season 5 of Battle of the Blades, we saw many of our hockey stars succumb to the dreaded toe pick, and saw them fall. Hard.

Battle of the Blades choreographer Julie Marcotte explains that without the toe pick, no jumps or landings are possible. Despite their difficulty for the hockey players — who use a more curved, unobstructed blade to skate on — they are one of the most crucial parts of figure skating.

Brian McGrattan said it best, "Once she [a toe pick] starts, you're goin' down. Face first."

rdavies

I don't follow FS as much as I used to, but do know WePo were oft in the shadow of VandM. Is it possible, that this show, as a marketing tool, could enhance their career even more than their legitimate skating. I don't think BOTB is going to hurt Kaitlyn Weaver's career too much, she's coming out of this smelling like the proverbial (yellow) rose.

When I say hasn't hurt, I really mean greatly enhanced her visibility, likeability and total Q factor.

Desperado

Did anyone laugh at that the timing of that shot where Ron asked the audience if they wanted to see Kurt skate and they immediately cut to Brian just sitting there not applauding. Unintentional of course but I found it funny.
Nam was pretty quiet too. 😉

Desperado

Was Ron trying to avoid having Katia say a few words? They did a great job together because as seen in the group numbers, Bruno cannot move to music at all. 😂 He was quite a trouper out there though and I enjoyed their numbers.

rdavies

Was Ron trying to avoid having Katia say a few words?
Yeah, it looked like he didn't want to give up the stick, likely because they are running behind. You don't want to rush the final reveal and go straight off the air. Second half of the show seems better, the first half looked like it was thrown together live.

Good to see Yannick Bisson, they needed more of those big time players during the series.

rdavies

Have to say unlike some of the BOTB contestants Tessa has picked up her game as the series closed. Thought she looked great and I loved the outfit, I wonder how many channels she can pick up with those earrings. :)

Desperado

I’m happy with the results and look forward to the finale next week. Sheldon and Caitlyn will win (I love his success story and dedication) and B&K (my favourite team) will be third.
Called. It. 😊

Wow, the trophy has gotten bigger. This was another weird hour though. Ron blabbing on, all the backstage footage, Kurt, Elladj, CBC show pimping, judges comments and hardly any time to hear and see the finalists. Better luck next year?

Edited to correct Elladj’s name.

Last edited:

Satellizer

existing
Called. It. 😊

Wow, the trophy has gotten bigger. This was another weird hour though. Ron blabbing on, all the backstage footage, Kurt, Elaj, CBC show pimping, judges comments and hardly any time to hear and see the finalists. Better luck next year?

Don't forget that Frozen number:rollin:

I could deal with all of it but I wanted to see more of the finalists as you mentioned. It was all so anticlimactic. Also, bringing back Tessa and Scott for... what exactly? Give some generic judges comments and then stand and hand flowers and trophy to winners.

rdavies

Ekaterina and Bruno finish third. The lack of public support finally catches up to them.
I mused about this before the series began, when they spoke of there being international voting I figured Katia's followers would help her. I am firmly convinced that Canadians want to see people they are familiar with and have followed throughout their careers. Have to say I am surprised it did end that way.

Desperado

Also, bringing back Tessa and Scott for... what exactly? Give some generic judges comments and then stand and hand flowers and trophy to winners.
I know! What’s the point of having judges if there’s nothing to judge? At least get them to skate! The interview with the kids was cute though even if rehearsed. 😉

I saw Elladj interview skaters at Skate Canada and I hope he’ll be hosting the show next. By himself.

Edited to correct Elladj’s name.

Last edited:

Anemone

As much as I enjoy watching both Elaj and Kurt as skaters, and have nothing to complain about in terms of their numbers. But I really, really wish they had used this time for skates by the finalists. I also think it is kind of foolish on their part to have talked about Mini Blades so much on social media, introduce them on the show and then..... crickets. Why not show them skate? Show some clips? Something, anything. Lost opportunity for viewers, because you know that everyone and anyone who would know the mini-blades skaters would have tuned in to watch, even if they weren't regular watchers of the show.
Again, can't complain about getting to watch Kaitlyn & Andrew skate - but that Frozen number just made me roll my eyes. And I agree with whoever upthread asked how much did Disney pay for that promo?
That said, I am more than happy to have the show at all, and hope we get a season 6.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I was very glad to have the show back and hope it will return next season. Congratulations to the winners - when it was down to the final two we were assured of an ice dancer being part of the winning team :D

I, for one, am not going to criticize how the show was produced/paced/packaged. Obviously there are several folks here, however, who think they could do a better job - perhaps they should apply for jobs next season....

rdavies

I, for one, am not going to criticize how the show was produced/paced/packaged. Obviously there are several folks here, however, who think they could do a better job - perhaps they should apply for jobs next season....
As someone who has been involved at the network level and studied this stuff since childhood (the family business), I think I can pass judgment that this show (that has been so brilliantly produced over the years) was left wanting this year. I'm happily retired from the biz, not the jealous type, understand the problems that are faced and am judging this season honestly. The production and the skaters seemed to lose steam after the halfway point of the series.

I love Kurt, but he is not a natural host, there is still some discomfort there, he shouldn't be placed in that position, it's not his fault and that should be recognized by those in charge. In the early years, with Sandra around, the load was shared and nobody was exposed.

As for the OP, if you want to see another season like that, I don't. Did we even get to know the skaters this year, how many backstage pieces did you see aside from the pre-skate pieces.

I have never been about bitching for bitching sake, unless with criticism you are going to contribute something constructive. And the only thing they need to do is dig out some of the old shows and watch them and see how they were put together.

The one thing that does limit them is the quantity, quality, and personalities of the hockey players, this was a tough year for the producers.

Last edited:

rdavies

As much as I enjoy watching both Elaj and Kurt as skaters, and have nothing to complain about in terms of their numbers. But I really, really wish they had used this time for skates by the finalists. I also think it is kind of foolish on their part to have talked about Mini Blades so much on social media, introduce them on the show and then..... crickets. Why not show them skate? Show some clips? Something, anything. Lost opportunity for viewers, because you know that everyone and anyone who would know the mini-blades skaters would have tuned in to watch, even if they weren't regular watchers of the show.
Again, can't complain about getting to watch Kaitlyn & Andrew skate - but that Frozen number just made me roll my eyes. And I agree with whoever upthread asked how much did Disney pay for that promo?
That said, I am more than happy to have the show at all, and hope we get a season 6.
You make some good points

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information