CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

victoriajh

trying to ignore rod and find the eurosport feed
Could there be a clause in Katia's contract that specifies she must make the top 3/top 2? Being overseas I can only watch the individual performances and not the whole show with judges' comments, but from the posts here it sounds like Kurt in particular is trying to justify keeping them around for no particular reason.
Katia has a HUGE following - also I heard perhaps they may have had a "thing" before..... and I mean who doesn't have a thing for her!!!! lol

Japanfan

Katia has a HUGE following - also I heard perhaps they may have had a "thing" before..... and I mean who doesn't have a thing for her!!!! lol

Kurt is still married to Sonia Rodriguez, SFAIK. However, some on this board have indicated otherwise.

Katia was said to be with David Pelletier, but if so, I don't know if they are still together.

screech

Kurt is still married to Sonia Rodriguez, SFAIK. However, some on this board have indicated otherwise.

Katia was said to be with David Pelletier, but if so, I don't know if they are still together.
Unfortunately being married doesn't always mean anything...

I thought Kurt and Sonia split a couple years ago, as did Katia and Ilia. Things could have happened before she got with David...

In any case it's all speculation. While I don't agree with a 6.0, IMO it was clear that they deserved to win the skate-off. Based on skating, Amanda and her partner (I don't remember all the hockey player names) should clearly be gone next, but who knows?

apollo13

In any case it's all speculation. While I don't agree with a 6.0, IMO it was clear that they deserved to win the skate-off. Based on skating, Amanda and her partner (I don't remember all the hockey player names) should clearly be gone next, but who knows?

It's a reality show and people are voting. They obviously want to keep Colton in. He must have a following.

Sonata

Could it be possible that Amanda and Colton are not in bottom two? I know they were in first week, but you never know. If they make finals, might they even win? I think Kennedy and Spooner probably are safe, but if they are not, then one team likely goes against Katie and Bruno, at which point the judges decide. If the choose Katie and Bruno to go ahead, then Amanda and Colton’s chances to win increase a lot.

Satellizer

existing
Could it be possible that Amanda and Colton are not in bottom two? I know they were in first week, but you never know. If they make finals, might they even win? I think Kennedy and Spooner probably are safe, but if they are not, then one team likely goes against Katie and Bruno, at which point the judges decide. If the choose Katie and Bruno to go ahead, then Amanda and Colton’s chances to win increase a lot.
Sheldon and Natalie have yet to be and the bottom 2, and they each a big fanbase. But you're right.. Colton and Amanda might squeeze by. If Natalie is in the bottom 2, after their not so great performance last week, I think the judges will favour Katia and Bruno, especially Kurt.

apollo13

Its irritating me a bit that the Colton and Bruno are doing very little skating on their own, just seem to be lifting their very good partners. I think Natalie and Sheldon definitely have been challenging themselves to do more solo moves.

I disagree. Any pair boy will tell you that launching a pair girl into a throw or a twist is a hard-earned and difficult skating skill. His partner is not a javelin or a shotput which can be thrown with abandon. Lifting your partner over your shoulder while trying to skate is another skating skill that novice pair boys take months and months to learn, and these hockey players are expected to do with ease in a couple of weeks. These two skills just are as difficult, and more dangerous than twizzles, Choctaws and mohawks.

Alvyne

Its irritating me a bit that the Colton and Bruno are doing very little skating on their own, just seem to be lifting their very good partners. I think Natalie and Sheldon definitely have been challenging themselves to do more solo moves.
I think the fault lies with the choreographer. Bruno is clearly capable of doing more complicated footwork and moves, but their numbers have a lot of standing still at the beginning and the end. Kurt commented on it once, and last week said he wanted to see more footwork. I've not been a fan of Renee Roca's choreography in this show. Julie Marcotte choreography for Sheldon and Kaitlyn has been great.

I disagree. Any pair boy will tell you that launching a pair girl into a throw or a twist is a hard-earned and difficult skating skill. His partner is not a javelin or a shotput which can be thrown with abandon. Lifting your partner over your shoulder while trying to skate is another skating skill that novice pair boys take months and months to learn, and these hockey players are expected to do with ease in a couple of weeks. These two skills just are as difficult, and more dangerous than twizzles, Choctaws and mohawks.
I mean no disrespect to any of the hockey players, and yes lifts and throws are definitely difficult, but I guess I wish the judges would comment consistently, telling some to work on their own footwork and not mentioning it to others

Last edited:

beebee

I think the fault lies with the choreographer. Bruno is clearly capable of doing more complicated footwork and moves, but their numbers have a lot of standing still at the beginning and the end. Kurt commented on it once, and last week said he wanted to see more footwork. I've not been a fan of Renee Roca's choreography in this show. Julie Marcotte choreography for Sheldon and Kaitlyn has been great.
Not to take anything away from Julie Marcotte, but I have to believe one secret ingredient in Kaitlyn and Sheldon’s fabulous choreography is the massive input of Kaitlyn into their numbers (every week they perform what looks to me like an actual competitive skating program). The other secret ingredient is that Sheldon seems to be one heck of an amazing student!

Colonel Green

Week 6 (no theme this week, I guess?)
Guest judges: Tessa & Scott, again.

Skate off: Amanda/Colton vs. Natalie/Andrew

Ekaterina/Bruno finally miss the bottom two.

Ron, in a rare trivia slip-up, incorrectly cites Tessa & Scott as four-time World champions. Or maybe he still feels strongly about 2013 Worlds.

Colonel Green

Performance #1: Natalie & Andrew
Music: "Shut Up and Dance" by Walk the Moon

They end with Natalie lifting Andrew, somewhat clumsily, but it calls to mind the saying about the dancing bear; they also do a throw(!). Much more fluid than last week.

rdavies

Aside from her improved knee bend, I thought the first half was the same routine as last week but then they upped the ante in the second half of the routine. They were challenged for her to lift him and she did, mission accomplished. She seems more nervous the past two weeks but the second half should see them move on in the competition.

Colonel Green

Performance #2: Amanda & Colton
Music: "Leave a Light On" by Tom Walker

Uh, yeah, this shouldn't be a hard decision.

Scores
Amanda & Colton
Kurt - 5.8
Colby - 5.8
Tessa/Scott - 5.7

Natalie & Andrew
Kurt - 5.8
Colby - 5.8
Tessa/Scott - 5.8

I get being nice, but that was much closer in scores than it should have been.

Desperado

That’s a lovely dress on Amanda. I can’t believe they did that blade on his shoulder lift again, scary through out.

rdavies

Spoon's got somethin' goin' on, she has not been the same the past two weeks. It almost looks like she's become super competitive but if that's the case I don't think it's working for her. Time to get back to what brought you to the dance.

Colonel Green

Performance #3: Kaitlyn & Sheldon
Music: "I'm Still Standing"

Reprise of the headbanger from last week. I think these two might have about hit their technical ceiling (which is very high), though we'll see if they've got anything else saved for next week.

rdavies

I get being nice, but that was much closer in scores than it should have been.
Tessa about to kick Kurt's ass for throwing her and Scott under the bus. Sheldon's routine didn't do much for me this week, maybe it was the song choice, I was more emotionally moved by Lanny MacDonald. I can see Bruno winning the night tonight unless the injury prevents.

Colonel Green

Performance #4: Ekaterina & Bruno
Music: "Make Me Feel" by Janelle Monae

Bruno is skating through a bicep tear, which, respect. Good performance, you wouldn't know he was injured other than the bandage on his arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information