CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

rvi5

5 couples compete Oct 17 (tomorrow)
4 couples compete Oct 24
3 couples compete Oct 31
2 couples compete Nov 7

If the final is Oct 31st, they will need to speed-up the elimination process, or have back-to-back episodes. I doubt they will have back-to-back episodes, since that would require couples to train two routines quickly.

Last edited:

DE93

4 couples compete Oct 24
3 couples compete Oct 31
2 couples compete Nov 7

If the final is Oct 31st, they will need to speed-up the elimination process, or have back-to-back episodes. I doubt they will have back-to-back episodes, since that would require couples to train two routines quickly.

If I were to guess, I think they will have 3 couples in the finale. (Just a guess though)

Alvyne

4 couples compete Oct 24
3 couples compete Oct 31
2 couples compete Nov 7

My guess is that 2 couples will be eliminated tomorrow. They did that in season 4. They eliminated one couple after the skate off, and the other eliminated couple was the one who got the lowest score of the night. That way, they can have the 3 best couples in the finale.

rdavies

I believe the hockey series in question is an evaluation camp with exhibition games against the US, important but not vital. And on the subject of hockey, we've seen the attempted recruitment of Darcy Tucker, Sarah Nurse and maybe another attempt with Colby Armstrong. I also have a nomination.

We know from year one of BOTB that they wanted to get a goalie for the show with Sean Burke having to bow out (to be replaced by Claude Lemieux) As of this writing, they have yet to have a goaltender compete on the show.

How about Canadian national team goalkeeper Emerance Maschmeyer.

KXlJlNY.jpg
sh4SRR5.jpg

Ok, I don't really have a good argument aside from she has a really cool name :)

rdavies

More observances below from the unprofessional, uneducated, and unknowledgeable observer.

Kennedy and Weaver should have this thing locked up but I was trying to think what spoje would have to do to make a contest of this. I think they are in dire need of at least one super dramatic piece along the lines of which Kennedy/Weaver have performed a few times already. And I`m not counting the spoje country music routine as dramatic.

I've seen people be critical of spoon (which I don't think is warranted) but the Juicy Wiggle routine, although again good, (and maybe her best) left me a little unsatisfied. I think it came to me as more of the same from them and I want to see something dramatically (pardon the expression) different. They need to take a big, big, shot in the dark.

I believe she has been criticised for her lack of knee bend but I`m not sure if that is warranted either. She has some long and non figure skating legs IMO. She is the "Trixi Schuba" of BOTB and I think maybe the visual illusion does not help her achieve as pleasing a line as someone who is smaller.

Oh yeah, and she does have to lift Andrew, and I thought of that before Sarah Nurse.

Colonel Green

Week 5: Rhythm and Blues
Guest judge: Meagan Duhamel

We open with another Kurt and Elladj number. Ron sits this one out until the very end (though he is clearly still having a great time with this).

Bottom 2:

Ekaterina & Bruno (three weeks running!)
Violetta & P.J.

Oh for Heaven's sake, who is voting for Amanda & Colton?

Colonel Green

Performance #1: Natalie & Andrew
Music: "Powerful" by Major Lazer (feat. Ellie Goulding)

They talk about wanting to do more transitions, etc. This is certainly a more intricate program, mostly they pull it off. He holds her above his head completely horizontally for a bit, which is impressive. Natalie is singing along with the music most of the time.

Scores
Colby - 5.7
Meagan - 5.7
Kurt - 5.6

Last edited:

Desperado

Loved the look of Natalie’s dress and it made her look way more strong then Andrew. 😊 The program looked a little laboured and rough though.

rdavies

I'm becoming less and less enamoured with spoje, to me that was their least entertaining program so far (in my uneducated opinion) I don't think Kurt has liked them at all, in the competition, and if it wasn't for the anti Russian sentiment, I think they could be gone barring the unlikely saving of Orr/Evora who are still miraculously in the competition.

Colonel Green

Performance #2: Amanda & Colton
Music: "Rise Up" by Andra Day

They seem to know this guy just isn't a performer, so they're going all in on the big tricks. And the tricks are indeed big. At one point they do a Group 5 lift where she literally stands with her blade resting on his shoulder, which, ouch...

Scores
Colby - 5.8
Meagan - 5.7
Kurt - 5.7

rdavies

Orr and Evora, that was one scary lift, I wonder if he hurt himself, he might be feeling that later. I just can't buy that a lift (no matter how difficult) and poorly executed, can hide his horrible skating. Sorry to be that way but even I can't go along with the ouster of the other two teams and Orr/Evora still being in.

Colonel Green

Performance #3: Kaitlyn & Sheldon
Music: "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer

Sheldon refers to this as music "from my era". For much of this performance I wasn't sure if they were going to bring any particularly notable new dance element in this week, but then they end with him spinning her around by one leg... :eek: Minor loss of balance at one point.

Score
Colby - 5.8
Meagan - 5.9
Kurt - 5.8

Desperado

So impressed by how Sheldon controlled that change of position lift, didn't look like they lost speed at all. And the head banger, oh my. :eek:

rdavies

I don't know why, but I'm getting jaded, Sheldon does great lifts but that performance affected me the least of any they've done so far, and I like the tune. I'll rewatch and see if I like the performances better later. This could be a night when the team going home could be better than all the teams staying.

rdavies

Amanda is so damn fearless. She looked great out there. Has Colton's stroking improved? He looked scared to death he would drop her on the last lift poor guy.
She is fearless, he looked like he wanted to pull the chute and she forced him to keep going, I thought he might have pulled a Colby trying not to drop her.

Alvyne

Amanda is so damn fearless. She looked great out there. Has Colton's stroking improved? He looked scared to death he would drop her on the last lift poor guy.

I don't get Kurt's lathering on the compliments - a tear in his eye?? Okie dokie.
I don't get it either. I don't think this performance deserved higher marks than Natalie and Andrew. Colton might have improved, but his skating kills are non existant and the lift was scary. Maybe Kurt is doing some reverse psychology, if he says they are great, their fans might not vote so much. Remember they were in the bottom 2 the first week, so either their fan base has increase, or there is less voting in general for the other teams.

rdavies

If Bruno had any facials at all, they'd be pretty hard to beat. He looks like a skater more than any hockey player but still has difficulty selling, better than before though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information