Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Oly Channel/NBCSN won’t air until noontime. I’d stream, but computer is otherwise occupied. Thanks for any pbp.

Lorac

Simone was nearly flawless on the beam - barely a wobble. Her joy at winning was lovely to see as she now has become the most decorated gymnast in world championships!!!

Lorac

Wow - Joe Frasier of GB won gold on PB!!! He laid down an awesome routine and his major competitors all faltered!!! Onder of Turkey gets the silver and Kaya of Japan the bronze!!!

D

Deleted member 40371

Wow - Joe Frasier of GB won gold on PB!!! He laid down an awesome routine and his major competitors all faltered!!! Onder of Turkey gets the silver and Kaya of Japan the bronze!!!
Onder was a bit unlucky since reference judging kicked in. He E score is high, bit was likely much higher brought his score down.

D

Deleted member 40371

Sunlisa Lee had a better routine than the rest, music was interesting.

D

Deleted member 40371

I enjoyed Saravia and Moors, rest are not worth remembering

D

Deleted member 40371

This final is laid out for Mikulak to win if he can handle the pressure.
Tang Tanks his HB and he will not medal, the top qualifier is gone.
No gold for China at this championships.

Tyson BULL of Australia has qualified for the finals and Olympics ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 40371

I would have preferred to see either one of them on the podium, especially since Melnikova obviously bobbled on each of her turning series.
Saravia would have, unfortunately, she almost collapsed after the first pass. Moors is low difficulty and she had her demons on the last pass. I think a clean Moors would have still been close.

FiveRinger

Saravia would have, unfortunately, she almost collapsed after the first pass. Moors is low difficulty and she had her demons on the last pass. I think a clean Moors would have still been close.
I saw what you saw, but I desperately wanted to ignore that part...lol. You’re correct, but the other exercises just were so much more interesting.

millyskate

I enjoyed Saravia and Moors, rest are not worth remembering
Did you not like Popa? She had my favourite routine. I thought it a shame with routines like Moors, Saraiva and Popa in the final - the podium went to the gymnasts it did. Sunisa Lee has beautiful gymnastics and artistic potential, she just needs slightly more elaborate choreography. The code for next quad really does appear to try and micromanage the gymnasts into the direction of artistry on floor, we'll see if it's successful.

I think that if the code was different, Simone would likely still win - she'd just have to strategise differently. I'm not excited about seeing routines with 2 OOBs win with such a high margin, but I guess the same debates exist in skating.

D

Deleted member 40371

Wow - I though Sam would be on the podium - only 5th!!!
Replay didn't do him any favours, there was so much to deduct bends arms, muscled in between and 0.3 hop to end. Others were almost perfect. Emotionally we would like him to succeed but I think he is too laid back.

Dismount and reaction of Mariano together is a 10.0 for artistry.

Lorac

Replay didn't do him any favours, there was so much to deduct bends arms, muscled in between and 0.3 hop to end. Others were almost perfect. Emotionally we would like him to succeed but I think he is too laid back.

Dismount and reaction of Mariano together is a 10.0 for artistry.

Yeah - watching it in slo mo there were more bent arms than I saw the first time through. The hop at the end cost him as well.

FiveRinger

Did you not like Popa? She had my favourite routine. I thought it a shame with routines like Moors, Saraiva and Popa in the final - the podium went to the gymnasts it did. Sunisa Lee has beautiful gymnastics and artistic potential, she just needs slightly more elaborate choreography. The code for next quad really does appear to try and micromanage the gymnasts into the direction of artistry on floor, we'll see if it's successful.

I think that if the code was different, Simone would likely still win - she'd just have to strategise differently. I'm not excited about seeing routines with 2 OOBs win with such a high margin, but I guess the same debates exist in skating.
Popa was lovely. I enjoyed her a lot. Unfortunately, she didn’t have enough difficulty.

Personally, from a choreographic perspective, I think that Suni had the best artistry of the Americans. I liked her routine and compared to others, I had no problems with it. She did well to go from not qualifying for floor finals to being the silver medalist. Congrats to her!

By the way, does anyone know why a Jade didn’t compete?

millyskate

Popa was lovely. I enjoyed her a lot. Unfortunately, she didn’t have enough difficulty.

Personally, from a choreographic perspective, I think that Suni had the best artistry of the Americans. I liked her routine and compared to others, I had no problems with it. She did well to go from not qualifying for floor finals to being the silver medalist. Congrats to her!

By the way, does anyone know why a Jade didn’t compete?
Yes I do like Sunisa too. Just still a bit of untapped potential when compared to the best choreographed routines in the final. Definitely a nice routine though, and I thought the best overall performance of the final today - although it's hard to argue against Simone's tumbling with this code.

Sunisa beat Jade in qualifying. They had the same score but Sunisa broke the tie-break on execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information