From Russia with Love [#34]: Autumn 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoopCombo

I might be the only person who liked that program with Oblivion. This song doesn't do it for me and Liza still seems to have some problem executing this choreography with energy. I love her new dress.

You’re not alone. I liked the program with Oblivion too, and the judges rewarded Liza in PCS for the new style of the program at the Lombardia competition, I thought. But I feel like the choreography does suit the Drumming Song better, especially the places where Liza covers her ears and moves her head when the music references the drumming noise inside her head. I didn’t understand in the SP at Lombardia why there were multiple ear-covering moves. I really liked her green dress, but the black dress is a little edgier so it goes well with the new-old music!

Tinami Amori

Foto with a comment from Alexandra Trusova :EVILLE:
"I am Daenerys. Only in the end they will not kill me".

starrynight

Actually, Mishin’s reasoning makes sense to me: they wanted Elizaveta to be able to skate the program well as their number one priority. I did read an interview with Liza where she said there were a lot of new moves for her in the SP. I’m glad they were feeling confident enough to change the music back!

Yes, this doesn't sound unusual to me at all - to concentrate on the execution of the moves without the music overwhelming the process. I can't recall who I am thinking of, but I've certainly heard of this as a training process in the past. I was actually wondering if this was the reasoning behind what Mishin was doing in the first place.

And it's probably only because the Russian ladies get out and publicly show the programs so early in the season that it is even known this is occurring.

Tinami Amori

Alina Zagitova will take part in Tatiana Navka's X-max/New Year Holidays ice show "Sleeping Beauty - The Legend of Two Kingdoms". (no, Alina is not going pro, her role is just for few days).

shah

Shhh... shhh...
Pogo is retired. She's coaching/doing seminars with her husband afaik.

Pogo, Radio, Tsurska - it's so tough to grow up and fight with injuries in such a demanding environment :(...

I'm afraid that Tarusina is joining this group (even though her list of accomplishments is shorter than the aforementioned three).

Btw, speaking of Davydov - do we know what happened to the Abba Girl (Mikhailova)?

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva went back to using Drumming Song by Florence + the Machine for her short program at a recent local competition. I definitely think the choreography makes more sense this way! I also think it is hilarious that her team originally changed the intended song but kept the choreography. I could be wrong, but was Tuktik just messing with us? Like, trolling all the figure skating fans who say that her music is always incidental? Regardless, I hope she keeps Drumming Song now. It’s nice and original, and it suits her. Nice triple axel too! :)

https://fs-gossips.com/elizaveta-tuktamysheva-went-back-to-the-florence-and-the-machine-sp-video/
Mishin's comment on Liza's new-old program:

Fs-gossips
Original article

I just can't :rofl:

How can you not love these two? 😀🤩

Marco

Perhaps Tuktuk was still focusing on the elements and getting used to the new music, but to me - watching the program to both pieces of music back to back, there really was no difference and she was skating quite indifferently too.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Btw, speaking of Davydov - do we know what happened to the Abba Girl (Mikhailova)?

Good question! I searched Instagram and found this interview from last spring, where she said she'd had health problems (according to the automatic translation).

starrynight

I must be missing something...why the fascination here?

Mishin has been coaching at a high level for 50 years straight. His interviews and perspective on the sport are very interesting. He mightn’t be the ‘hottest thing on the scene’ right now, but I suspect Mishin has forgotten more than some other coaches have ever known.

His perspective on things when Russian ladies skating was getting itself into a nationalistic lather about traitors and coaches was very level headed and insightful.

I also find Mishin interesting because he seems capable of learning and changing his perspectives on things. Ironically he has become very good at training ladies through rough patches, compared to when over a decade ago he was most dismissive of coaching ladies.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

This is what i know. She left CSKA/Davydov and went to skate at "Angels of Pluschenko" (i think in early 2018). Then from Angels of Pluschenko's rink (at about May/April of 2018) she was posting fotos and videos of her Quads and 3A attempts on fish-pole and on the floor.
There were some comments, something in the sentiment of "These high difficulty jumps are an opportunity for me and my coach Evgeniy Pluschenko to make a big splash on the FS circuit".

Then she was injured, and not hear from, for a while. Then she posted "I am looking to teach some skating on the side so if interested please write" ("подкатывать" is not "train full time").
Хочу начать подкатывать детишек! Кому интересно предложение, пишите в директ.
And when asked "are you now training, are you done?" she said "no".

and then again, no info, until a post from her in September, that she is (as a coach?) inviting new students to "The Figure Skating Army" group (on behalf of main coaches Vasilevsky and Lavrenchuk).

LoopCombo

I must be missing something...why the fascination here?

He’s a professor who has written a book on the biomechanics of figure skating, and she’s been around forever and yet is still able to compete with the new girls. She’s not the most artistic skater, and she was an acquired taste for me at first, but she has her own style, what seems like a healthy attitude towards competition, and she’s fun. Her jumps are also awesome. And his interactions with her in the kiss and cry — especially the Mishin handshake — are just legendary. It’s a lovely relationship between coach and student.

starrynight

I got into Tukt in 2014/2015.

Back then all the fuss had been about Lipnitskaya and those little jumps that barely cleared the ice and eating powdered diets etc .

Then Tukt came roaring in with those huge jumps, a triple axel and a bedazzled mumu. It was a total revelation and I’ve been hooked ever since. And I’m so thrilled with this comeback that I can’t even believe I’m not dreaming.

Tinami Amori

Elizaveta Tursynbaeva, per her father's interview, has recovered, and will be attending Shanghai Trophy event.

the article google-translates ok. in a nut-shell:
  • she is training. on the sept. 29th they will depart to China and remain there until oct. 6th.
  • per her father, the injury she had did not prevent her from training, she was getting treatment at the same time.
  • she will attend Skate America, plans to come to USA.
  • father repeats: we never stopped training, just slowed down a bit. training was never interrupted.
  • Elizaveta did not feel "broken" in this situation. The same condition happened few times before, last year and the time just before Youth Olympics in 2016, etc. It's not pleasant, especially when it's just before the start of the season, but Elizaveta is a strong person and has good support from fans in Russia and Kazhakstan and coach Tutberidze.
  • the rumors about "Kazhakh federation is looking for a new coach for Liza" are completely false. father has no idea why "some want to spread such rumors", because they will remain permanent in Tutberidze's group.
  • they completely trust Tutberidze, stay in constant contact about everything, she is tops.
  • the goal is Olympics 2022, but current aim is to prepare and do well in GP, 4CC and Worlds.
  • can't/will not name names who her main rivals are - "we need to reach out own maximums".
  • main goal is to fully regain her condition, not thinking of "gold" in addition to medals earned.

Last edited:

zebraswan

I was hoping we could get back to discussing Russian skaters not named Tuktamysheva...doesn't she have a fan thread or something? :slinkaway

Well, congrats to Makar and to Andrei for qualifying to the JGPF. Andrei, Daniil, and hopefully Artur and Petr will all be in the final if nothing goes horribly wrong next week. I guess Yablokov has a small chance as well, but he's not my cup of tea.

Tinami Amori

I was hoping we could get back to discussing Russian skaters not named Tuktamysheva...

Adelia Petrosian - moved permanently to Tutberidze's group
2 skates from 3 weeks ago.

Sofia Akatieva (Sambo-70) - wins Open Championship of Moscow with two 3A's (3 weeks ago)
(first girl in Tutberidze's group to perform 3A in an official competition)

Spun Silver

^Akatieva is exquisite as well as a technical phenom. What a comeback from an opening fall! She looks about 10 - how old is she?

Tinami Amori

Аliona Kanysheva is back practicing, and will be skating (Oct 29 - Nov 2) at the Russian Cup - Stage 3.

Spun Silver

Zag, Trus, Shcher, Kost, Valieva, Usach, Khrom, Kanysh..... :shuffle:
Actually I wasn't thinking about Akatieva and 2022, I was just worrying that she was going to be cursed by not getting to compete in juniors (and later seniors) when she's obviously ready. But even in this company (your list) she seems special. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information