From Russia with Love [#34]: Autumn 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco

Seeing the test skates and some of their international competitions: my current dream placements of the Russian ladies are:

Kostornaia
Trusova
Medvedeva
Tuktamysheva
Zagitova
Shchberkova
Samodurova

3 more months til Nationals - hope they can work their programs more.

Perky Shae Lynn

Trusova is really impressive. Her speed, power and ice coverage are beautiful to watch. She is not as frantic as Zagitova, and doesn't break at the waist as much. The lines aren't great, but she's a power skater through and through. I wish her team would package Trusova better. The gloves look awful (distort her body-line, and make it even less attractive) and the boots aren't any better. I know these are small things, but they matter.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Seeing the test skates and some of their international competitions: my current dream placements of the Russian ladies are:

Kostornaia
Trusova
Medvedeva
Tuktamysheva
Zagitova
Shchberkova
Samodurova

3 more months til Nationals - hope they can work their programs more.

You can dream..... but the test skates (SP and FS) were judged (informally) and given to skaters/coaches.
Zagitova
Trusova
Shcherbakova/Tuktamysheva
Kostornaya
Medvedeva
Konstantinova/Samodurova

Does anyone know what’s going on with Kanysheva? Will we see her in the last two JGP events?
She is fine, was in a sports shop few days ago buying new boots and gear.

Kostornaya is fine too...... ;) Eteri made a "new senior season" video clip, and Kostornaya is on it.

Tinami Amori

Alexandra Stepanova is fully recovered, practicing, will be at the GP with Bukin (per their coach).

DobrinFan

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Anna Tarusina announced on her Instagram that she will miss the season due to health and her studies.

I can’t remember, is she an Eteri girl or with Buyonova?

Missing a season in the Hunger Games is probably fatal, ie Tsurkaya. :(

oleada

I can’t remember, is she an Eteri girl or with Buyonova?

Missing a season in the Hunger Games is probably fatal, ie Tsurkaya. :(
Neither, she’s with Sergei Davydov. She’s the girl who was seriously injured in a car accident at JGP Courchevel a few years ago.
It’s unfortunate. She had a good season last year :( She’s had more than her fair share of unfortunate injuries.

DobrinFan

Anna Tarusina announced on her Instagram that she will miss the season due to health and her studies.

Sergey Davydov @rsportru about the end of her career (???) by Anna Tarusina: 👱‍♀️ "She told me that she no longer wants to practice (figure skating) and that’s her decision. Her motives are hard, she can’t endure anymore, she must follow an eternal diet🍔🍟 🌭. We always send to think, but it’s not about a small child in this situation and Anya took this decision for a very long time. She said either yes or no 🙀. She made a decision and I can’t do anything about it. We always regret it, because we spent so much time and so much work done. Of course, it’s a pity for labor, but such is life."

ETA: on CSKA's website, it says she has finished her career.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Here is the original article on Davydov and Tarusina (sports.ru usually uses exerts from such articles)
https://rsport.ria.ru/20190925/1559111487.html
(translation of Davydov's comments).

Davydov: She (Tarusina) informed me that she no longer wishes to train (in figure skating) and that is her decision. Her reasons/motives: it’s too hard, she can’t stand it any longer (endure it all), to adhere constantly to a strict diet.
To the question “is she finished (with skating)”, Davydov’s replied “I think it is correct to say this”.

Davydov also mentioned that in similar situations he always gives his skater a time to think it over. “We always send them off to think it through, but in this situation we’re not exactly dealing with a young child. And it took Anya a very long time to reach this decision. She would say sometimes “yes”, sometimes “no”. It was she who made this decision and there is nothing I can do about it. We always regret when it happens, because of how much time and how much work was invested. Of course, there is regret over (wasted) effort/labor, but such is life.”

“A lot was happening in our joint work, but a person made this decision and I can’t stand in her way (can’t be an obstacle)” – said Davydov.

Tinami Amori

Since we are on "Davydov's team" subject, another RIA article just popped up, about Victoria Vasilieva & Ksenia Tsibinova)

Russian skater, Victoria Vasilieva is working on her problem with weight (on weight issues) and plans to perform successfully at the Russian Cup events, to qualify for the Russian National Championship, said her coach Sergey Davydov in an interview with RIA.

Vasilieva, who will be 16 years old in November, came in 2nd and 3rd in JGP events in the current season. In the past this skater earned a 3rd place in the Russian Cup Final, just behind Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva.

Davydov: "We plan to participate in the Russsian Cup events, most likely the ones held in Kazan and in Moscow, to try to qualify for the Russian Nationals. Vika has issues with (excess) weight, which we're trying to fight. We managed it in time for the (junior) Grand Prix events, but the problem still exists, and it is the main one. In all the rest there are no problems (all other issues are not a problem)".

Fifteen years old Ksenia Tsibinova, who switched to Davydov this past mid-season from her coach Svetlana Panova, just won gold at the Russian Cup (Segment I) held in Syzran.

Davydov: Together with Ksenia we will try to make it (to attend) on of the Challenger events, if there is a slot and we get an approval. As for now, we're preparing for the next segment at the Russian Cup and working on (learning) difficult elements - 3A and 4T".

hanca

Values her privacy
I thought Vasilieva has already qualified to the Russian nationals because she has JGP event. Or does sne mean she wants to qualify to senior nationals? She won’t get into JGPF, so the only way will be through the Russian cups.

Ka3sha

I thought Vasilieva has already qualified to the Russian nationals because she has JGP event. Or does sne mean she wants to qualify to senior nationals? She won’t get into JGPF, so the only way will be through the Russian cups.
She has to qualify to JGPF to qualify to Senior Nationals. JGP events are enough to qualify to Junior Nats - and yes, he meant Senior Nationals

RoseRed

She still might. Let's say Haein, Ksenia and Daria join Kamila and Alysa, leaving one spot. Viktoria has good scores, so if others like Rino, Anna F or Yeonjeong end up with 2nd/3rd (very possible), Vika would have a good chance to win the tiebreak for the last spot.

Tinami Amori

"Weight issues" again. Wonderful. :rolleyes:

Before we start taking Davydov apart over "weight comment", few issues:

a) Vasilieva was out of shape this mid-summer, and it reflected on her jumps, and that's a potential injury.

b) She is NOT thin or looks unhealthy. She does have a thicker waist line than most skaters and they try to "hide it" with geometry of the dress.
she is not at risk of starving... :lol:

c) Davydov is VERY upfront with parents and students BEFORE they join his group what the expectations are, talks about his method in the most honest way possible, even exaggerates "hardship", and gives the family time to think if they want to join the group. Here is a translation of his last interview, where he openly talks about his methods.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Tarusina has had a lot of issues since the accident and it is likely they are still impacting her. Head injuries can have long term consequences some of which don't manifest until the child passes puberty. It sounds like it was a combination of factors, and TBH, she recognizes she's not going to be competitive inside Russia. She may well have decided that she'd rather not continue with the training to be an elite skater and would rather move her life in a different direction. I'm sure it was a difficult decision for her and her family after the time and expense that's been invested, but as Davydov says, this is life.

hanca

Values her privacy
Tarusina has had a lot of issues since the accident and it is likely they are still impacting her. Head injuries can have long term consequences some of which don't manifest until the child passes puberty. It sounds like it was a combination of factors, and TBH, she recognizes she's not going to be competitive inside Russia. She may well have decided that she'd rather not continue with the training to be an elite skater and would rather move her life in a different direction. I'm sure it was a difficult decision for her and her family after the time and expense that's been invested, but as Davydov says, this is life.
It is great that she managed to make this decision, which must have been very hard for her. However, I have a feeling that she tried to keep her options open by saying she will not compete ‘this season’ and that Davidov is a bit forcing the final decision by saying that she retired. Not very nice of him. Also, the comment about how much work has been invested and the effort wasted and certain amount of regret about wasted effort/labour, it sounds quite bitter to me. I can see why he feels like this, but I don’t think it was the right time to say it! The classy thing would be to wish her all the best, and at least try to be a bit understanding, even if he doesn’t quite feel it.

Finsta

I’m sorry for her. She has still such potential, but always there is more to life than sport. I wish this young lady the best of luck

LoopCombo

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva went back to using Drumming Song by Florence + the Machine for her short program at a recent local competition. I definitely think the choreography makes more sense this way! I also think it is hilarious that her team originally changed the intended song but kept the choreography. I could be wrong, but was Tuktik just messing with us? Like, trolling all the figure skating fans who say that her music is always incidental? Regardless, I hope she keeps Drumming Song now. It’s nice and original, and it suits her. Nice triple axel too! :)

https://fs-gossips.com/elizaveta-tuktamysheva-went-back-to-the-florence-and-the-machine-sp-video/

muffinplus

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva went back to using Drumming Song by Florence + the Machine for her short program at a recent local competition. I definitely think the choreography makes more sense this way! I also think it is hilarious that her team originally changed the intended song but kept the choreography. I could be wrong, but was Tuktik just messing with us? Like, trolling all the figure skating fans who say that her music is always incidental? Regardless, I hope she keeps Drumming Song now. It’s nice and original, and it suits her. Nice triple axel too! :)

https://fs-gossips.com/elizaveta-tuktamysheva-went-back-to-the-florence-and-the-machine-sp-video/

I.... can't.

Ka3sha

Mishin's comment on Liza's new-old program:
Mastering the new short program, which Shae-Lynn Bourne did for Liza, was very difficult. Because of the rhythmic structure of the music, which determined the high rhythm of the performance, at the first stages, we had difficulties. So At the test skates experts highly praised the performance of this program to Oblivion. Now, her level of mastery of the entire steps structure, which is quite fractional, has allowed her to switch to the original music, and we will stick to this.
Fs-gossips
Original article

I just can't :rofl:

LoopCombo

Mishin's comment on Liza's new-old program:

Fs-gossips
Original article

I just can't :rofl:

Actually, Mishin’s reasoning makes sense to me: they wanted Elizaveta to be able to skate the program well as their number one priority. I did read an interview with Liza where she said there were a lot of new moves for her in the SP. I’m glad they were feeling confident enough to change the music back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information