2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

RoseRed

Stephen Gogolev
SP: Yablochko

Just debuted at a club competition in California.
I believe it is two peices of music: 'Grand Waltz' from Anyuta, by Valery Gavrilin, and 'Yablochko' (also known as RUssian Sailor's Dance from the ballet 'The Red Poppy'. According to Shazam, the version he's using is titled 'The Red Poppy: Russian Sailor's Dance' performed by St. Petersburg State Symphony.

Mad for Skating

Thoughts on Stepanova/Bukin’s FD: not a fan of the music, but I’m sure they’ll make it cool and sexy, and they’ll probably have nice costumes. TBH, I’m not overwhelmed by the ice dance music choices this year so far.

Tavi

I believe it is two peices of music: 'Grand Waltz' from Anyuta, by Valery Gavrilin, and 'Yablochko' (also known as RUssian Sailor's Dance from the ballet 'The Red Poppy'. According to Shazam, the version he's using is titled 'The Red Poppy: Russian Sailor's Dance' performed by St. Petersburg State Symphony.

Thanks for the info! I tried multiple times to get Shazam to recognize it without success, so I’m happy you were able to identify both pieces!

The Red Poppy is a ballet by Glière by the way.

I love that Waltz!

Ka3sha

Videos:
Aleksandra Boikova / Dmitrii Kozlovsky
SP: My Way (Instumental )

Also unconfirmed
Alisa Efimova/Alexander Korovin
FP: Sound of Silence (Disturbed)

Petr Gumennik
SP: Je Me Souviens De Nous by Maxime Rodriguez

Mad for Skating

Aleksandra Boikova / Dmitrii Kozlovsky
SP: My Way (Instumental )

From Tamara Moskvina’s master class in Igora , no official confirmation yet

Hmm, not a huge fan of the music but they skate it well!

Also unconfirmed
Alisa Efimova/Alexander Korovin
FP: Sound of Silence (Disturbed)

I’m actually excited about this. I was a big fan of their edgy SP last year and this has a similar vibe. I think this could be really great!

aftershocks

Banned Member
I’m actually excited about this. I was a big fan of their edgy SP last year and this has a similar vibe. I think this could be really great!

J/C already performed it great though. Hmmm, re Efimova/Korovin using Sound of Silence by Disturbed, so soon after J/C's iconic rendition. But par for the course re so many teams wanting to channel some of that J/C magic chemistry and excitement.

#WARHORSEALERT

There may have been singles skaters who used Disturbed's Sound of Silence post J/C, but no pairs teams AFAIK, until this announcement. I wouldn't exactly term this selection a warhorse at this point. It's just a brilliantly conceived cover of the Simon & Garfunkel original that was beautifully choreographed for J/C by John Kerr. So I guess E/K are one of the first teams who couldn't wait to sink their blades into trying their own interpretation. ;) Meanwhile, so many teams are copying themes, moves, costuming style, and music concepts popularized by J/C, and also wanting to use J/C's choreographers (first John Kerr, and now Charlie White and Guillaume Cizeron). :D

Sui/Han were even apparently inspired by J/C's choice of Disturbed's Sound of Silence cover, to use something similar that same season for their fp at 4CCs and Worlds (S/H did not compete the first half of the 2016-17 season due to Sui's injury rehab). S/H went to the original source for something similar: Paul Simon's update/remake of Bridge Over Troubled Water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PEaTNQUDqA J/C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_5T6IRFgY S/H

This music was not a warhorse either when J/C used it the first part of 2017-18 season (though it had been used previously):

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Ah no, I love them so much.
Boooh.
I have to bounce back. This was a pleasant surprise, I did not expect.
Some really nice moves and choreo stuff, especially in the first half.
I really liked that and hope it will not get lost over the summer or moving stuff away so she is landing her jumps.
Do we know who did the choreo?

Lifts look still :yikes:

But her Totmianina/Bazarova lines in the exits of some moves are to die for :love:

Katha

Mixing Timberlake with Carmen isn't hardcore enough. They should aim higher: "Cry Me a River"/Carmina Burana (with techno beat) remix. First reenacting dramatik break-up/then heavy Orff drama for the most spectacular lifts, then ending with the rain sounds from Timberlake. And all of that in bedazzled "street wear" ice dancers like to dress in when they want to pretend that they're "edgy" and "modern".

It would be a masterpiece. Tbh, I'm ready for some teams to bring back the tacky/trashy for a bit. All these muted programs in pastel costumes start to run together after a time.

Dobre

Can i trouble you with one more question? i've been trying in many places and for a while to get an answer about this song. "Black Coffee" - 1935. Is this a foxtrot or a quickstep or a swing? same song is marked differently.
here it is marked as "foxtrot" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmGXcyWmr6E
here it is marked as "swing" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW_OHEmIV8s
and here as "quick-step" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kprw8hxH5Qc

Oh, I am the wrong person to ask. Probably you need one of the music experts on the board. In fact, I would also be interested in knowing how people determine whether a particular piece of music meets the beats-per-minute criteria. Are you counting it out? Or is there some software online that allows people to just input a particular song & get this information? (Not that I would likely have a clue how to do that even if there is).

It is entirely possible that the music selection you mentioned might meet the ISU criteria for more than one required rhythm. The ISU definition for swing, last time around, was very broad. And This Kiss, for example, was used by teams in the SD for both hip-hop in 2016-17 and for Latin in 2017-18.

My completely uneducated gut reaction to your link is that it seems faster than music we usually hear used for a foxtrot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information