2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

Bigbird

In their recent interview, Aleksandra and Ivan said that it took longer than they expected to find a second piece for their free dance - they tried different things and even were thinking about Carmen...
but they ended up they chose something else and it all came together and their free dance now have a “great libretto and an interesting story behind it”.

I mean, Justin Timberlake + Carmen - that could have been a program for ages
I am so laughing my head off, I cannot stand it. This must have taken so much deep thought and effort. What do they have planned for the gala, the Macarena? :rofl:

VGThuy

I think ice dance tech committee needs to come up with like 20 more choreographic categories to choose from for the three they have to do. I can only take so many knee slides now. At first I was excited when I saw them at Skate America but then as the season wore on and we saw more programs...

Also Cry Me a River and Carmen put together is such a Zhulin idea that I’m shocked this didn’t come from one of his teams.

Bigbird

I am so laughing my head off, I cannot stand it. This must have taken so much deep thought and effort. What do they have planned for the gala, the Macarena?

She has such a delicate figure and he can be so convincing, if given something with substance. She has a wonderful sense of sophistication when she applies herself, there are so many pieces of music they could have tried: The Blower's Daughter, Moon River, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Professional Soundtrack, A Sting Medley, The Troy Soundtrack, I have not even begun to dig into the real possibilities.....Their team has absolutely no sense of taste, style or plain common sense.

EDIT: Cry me a River and Carmen? In what universe would that EVER work?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Excuse me, but wasn't it to Tarasova who always insisted on Zhulin inserting Vivaldi into his programs? She always messed with his programs after the test skates.

Daena

Excuse me, but wasn't it to Tarasova who always insisted on Zhulin inserting Vivaldi into his programs? She always messed with his programs after the test skates.
Zhulin is extremely here for adding Mozart, Vivaldi or Kreutzer to anything on Earth - even without Tarasova

Eisfee

She has such a delicate figure and he can be so convincing, if given something with substance. She has a wonderful sense of sophistication when she applies herself, there are so many pieces of music they could have tried: The Blower's Daughter, Moon River, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Professional Soundtrack, A Sting Medley, The Troy Soundtrack, I have not even begun to dig into the real possibilities.....Their team has absolutely no sense of taste, style or plain common sense.

EDIT: Cry me a River and Carmen? In what universe would that EVER work?
I love "The Blower's Daughter"!! Such beautiful music!

muffinplus

I hate that my brain is already piecing together this program. The rap bridge is definitely the beginning of the choreo steps. I see lots of posing, with Stepanova leaning on Bukin, her arse out and thrusting forward. Maybe some random staccato arms somewhere. Don’t forget to throw an arm up for no reason! And they’ll end with Stepanova slowly sliding down Bukin like a pole, ending with her legs in a split, holding onto his leg, with her head on his thigh.

Yep. To a T.

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I hope they imitate the "caw caw"s in the background of Cry Me a River.

Storytime: I used to work 10.5 hr evening shifts in the hospital laboratory (7 days on/7 days off) when that song was popular, and it played like once an hour on the local radio station. I grew to quickly hate it, but I also associate it with long nights of stat type and crossmatches in blood bank (my fave department). So I have a love/hate relationship with that song. This off-season story break brought to you by bad song choices.

Colonel Green

Tinami Amori

I think because you said "musical" theme, we thought you meant for the RD and it fitting the Finnstep pattern dance and the required rhythms.
you're right, my comment can be linked to RD. i meant rather "in the spirit of this season's theme - musicals" without thinking of RD or FS specifically.

VGThuy

you're right, my comment can be linked to RD. i meant rather "in the spirit of this season's theme - musicals" without thinking of RD or FS specifically.

You made me check out the spreadsheet and um...Komatsubara/Koleto are doing Dreamgirls? That should be...interesting. In the spirit of things, I hope they use "Steppin' to the Bad Side".

Last edited:

Colonel Green

You made me check out the spreadsheet and um...Komatsubara/Koleto are doing "Dreamgirls"? That should be...interesting. In the spirit of things, I hope they use "Steppin' to the Bad Side".
I thought they were doing Lord of the Dance? Tim said they made a point of checking to see if it was allowed.

Dobre

I like Dreamgirls. I don't know how they're going to keep up with Lord of the Dance; but they are welcome to surprise me.

Tinami Amori

You made me check out the spreadsheet and um...Komatsubara/Koleto are doing Dreamgirls? That should be...interesting. In the spirit of things, I hope they use "Steppin' to the Bad Side".
This is a good chance for me to confirm something. Finnstep is a dance pattern, and music officially is quick-step, right?

VGThuy

This is a good chance for me to confirm something. Finnstep is a dance pattern, and music officially is quick-step, right?

Here's the rule:

Music: Musicals, Operetta, Broadway

Rhythms:
ALL selected music should be recognized as from one of the following Rhythms: Quickstep, Blues, March, Polka, Foxtrot, Swing, Charleston, Waltz. The number of rhythms is not restricted. The selected music may be from the same or different Musicals and/or Operettas.

Pattern Dance Element: Finnstep. One (1) Section of Finnstep and skated to one of the following Rhythms: Quickstep, Charleston or Swing.

Tinami Amori

The Finnstep pattern is a quickstep. (Based on Rahkomo & Kokko's 1995 Quickstep. I assume the pattern was named the Finnstep because they were/are Finns).
Can i trouble you with one more question? i've been trying in many places and for a while to get an answer about this song. "Black Coffee" - 1935. Is this a foxtrot or a quickstep or a swing? same song is marked differently.
here it is marked as "foxtrot" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmGXcyWmr6E
here it is marked as "swing" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW_OHEmIV8s
and here as "quick-step" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kprw8hxH5Qc

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information