U.S. Pairs 2018 - News & Updates, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson (second international together) and Sarah Feng/TJ Nyman (senior international debut! I believe they are staying junior nationally) are listed for ISU Challenger Series #8 - Inge Solar Memorial in Innsbruck, Austria, November 13-17 -- on USFS' International Assignments page and the ISU website. There currently are only 6 pairs listed from 5 countries (the minimum for ISU World Standings points is 5 entries from at least 3 ISU Members).

ETA: Inge Solar Memorial concludes about 2.5 weeks before the start of the Junior Grand Prix Final in Vancouver where Feng/Nyman have qualified to compete. Both pairs will receive a bye through Sectionals to Nationals since this comp. takes place the same week.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson (second international together) and Sarah Feng/TJ Nyman (senior international debut! I believe they are staying junior nationally) are listed for ISU Challenger Series #8 - Inge Solar Memorial in Innsbruck, Austria, November 13-17 -- on USFS' International Assignments page and the ISU website. There currently are only 6 pairs listed from 5 countries (the minimum for ISU World Standings points is 5 entries from at least 3 ISU Members).

ETA: Inge Solar Memorial concludes about 2.5 weeks before the start of the Junior Grand Prix Final in Vancouver where Feng/Nyman have qualified to compete. Both pairs will receive a bye through Sectionals to Nationals since this comp. takes place the same week.

Cool.. another competition for F&N before they head to the GP Final.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Ugggg, Im in mourning.......

It's the first GP, @ANL, in the first season of regrouping for the next quad. I think C/L had pent-up nerves. NBC commentators pointed out that C/L had great practices and were spot-on throughout. They simply had nerves and too much adrenalin wanting to do well, and uncharacteristically didn't manage their nerves well. It's very unusual for LeDuc to have issues on sbs jumps. He did a great one in the warm-up. Skaters really have to take every opportunity to learn from every experience. And fans definitely need to stop worrying about every thing that happens every five minutes.

Yes, this isn't looking great for the Knierims, especially re what's going on with their coaching situation. Commentators said that the Knierims didn't want to talk about where is Aliona. Alexa & Chris uprooted their living and training situations and they have just gone for it in order to improve. And we do see improvements in their skating so they just have to weather this storm and regain confidence. It takes awhile to put everything together with all the changes the Knierims have made. They just have to decide to hold their heads up and keep working hard. I hope everything is okay with their coaching arrangements.

For C/L, it's about maintaining calm under pressure. They had the opportunity to be in second, but are now in fourth. But at least C/L skate in the final group. If they get their heads together they can at least try to make up ground. It is a shame they aren't at least in third, and they are more talented than the Russians who are in second performance-wise IMO. Plus, C/L have more connection and much more engaging performance value than the top team, T/M.

Personally, I am simply tired of judges reserving spots for Russian teams. The judges apparently decided that both Russian teams should be on the podium already.:rolleyes: Neither T/M nor E/K skated well, and both are boring too. Hase/Seegert should be in second IMHO. Efimova/Korovin were overscored with a number of mistakes and unsteadiness. Also, they still have maturing to do and they are newbies to seniors. Meanwhile, Digerness/Neudecker were underscored as newbies to seniors. Not fair. Efimova/Korovin made too many mistakes to be that high over Hase/Seegert who went clean with a much more engaging program.

This judging is what gets on my nerves and has me in mourning. :blah:

Last edited:

oleada

Personally, I am simply tired of judges reserving spots for Russian teams. The judges apparently decided that both Russian teams should be on the podium already.:rolleyes: Neither T/M nor E/K skated well, and both are boring too. Hase/Seegert should be in second IMHO. Efimova/Korovin were overscored with a number of mistakes and unsteadiness. Also, they still have maturing to do and they are newbies to seniors. Meanwhile, Digerness/Neudecker were underscored as newbies to seniors. Not fair. Efimova/Korovin made too many mistakes to be that high over Hase/Seegert who went clean with a much more engaging program.

This judging is what gets on my nerves and has me in mourning. :blah:

Nobody skated well, but if you think that Digerness/Neudecker have the quality that either Efimova/Korovin or Tarasova/Morosov do, IDK what to tell you. No one skated well today. Both C/L and the Knierims were ahead on PCS to Efimova/Korovin; it's the TES that did them in. E/K are not my favorite team by any means, but they had really good speed and both Russian teams will have a huge TES advantage on the twist alone compared to all US teams that aren't the Knierims. C/L had major errors in all 3 of the big elements in the SP; Knierims haven't shown what they are capable of this year; they had their usual SBS woes and also had that fall in the footwork. Diegerness/Neudecker had a gorgeous throw, but their twist, SBS spins and jumps all need major work. Their twist and spins were only level 1, and they didn't have a single level 4 element. I enjoyed Hase/Seegert a lot but they're slow and didn't have high levels, and it was noticeable in real time.

I thought the judging panel/technical team was tough but fair to everyone today. For example, only the German pairs got credit for fully rotated jumps.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

@aftershocks Still in mourning, and will be. Im wearing a veil tonight.

The worst Knierims have everrrrrrr been.. Both did worse than their Challengers.

Knierims are veterans.... in the first GPs before they have been in first place and second place after the SP....

As far as C&L the judging makes no sense... for one element the GOE range is -4 to +2.... how do you explain that to your team.....

P.S. did you watch on NBC Gold pass? Im thinking of buying but next week Ill be in Germany.. do you think Ill be able to sign in and watch Skate Canada from Germany? Being outside the U.S.?

Added later: And not to be negative, lol..but Im tired of nervous skaters... LOL, I want to see skaters out there who cant wait to do the next element..... I dont wanna see nerves anymore. I want to see skaters that LOVE to be in front of an audience and dont look like a deer in headlights. LOL. OK, ANL got that outta his system.

Maybe I got a bag of peanut butter cups hidden somewhere here.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Nobody skated well, but if you think that Digerness/Neudecker have the quality that either Efimova/Korovin or Tarasova/Morosov do, IDK what to tell you. No one skated well today. Both C/L and the Knierims were ahead on PCS to Efimova/Korovin; it's the TES that did them in. E/K are not my favorite team by any means, but they had really good speed and both Russian teams will have a huge TES advantage on the twist alone compared to all US teams that aren't the Knierims. C/L had major errors in all 3 of the big elements in the SP; Knierims haven't shown what they are capable of this year; they had their usual SBS woes and also had that fall in the footwork. Diegerness/Neudecker had a gorgeous throw, but their twist, SBS spins and jumps all need major work. Their twist and spins were only level 1, and they didn't have a single level 4 element. I enjoyed Hase/Seegert a lot but they're slow and didn't have high levels, and it was noticeable in real time.

I thought the judging panel/technical team was tough but fair to everyone today. For example, only the German pairs got credit for fully rotated jumps.

Of course the Russians have such grate QUALITY. Still no excuse for that overscore for E/F. I didn't say that D/N deserved to be in the last group or anywhere close to the top two teams, but their score is lower than it should be. They have some nice qualities. Wonderful Russians in terms of that gorgeous Russian technique, but neither performed well, and neither have great connection and performance value. They are BORING!!! And that needs to be reflected in their scores, and when they don't perform technically well, that needs to be reflected too! They get gifts.

To me it is quite obvious that many teams in the pairs discipline are looking to get some of that James/Cipres magic. J/C's amazingly difficult lift positions have been copied, as well as other teams trying to emulate their moves, music, and costumes. There was no excuse for the way J/C's scores were kept down on the GP last year. It was criminal that J/C did not win TDF GP in their home country with the best overall performances. No excuse for the judges over-rewarding T/M for their messy fp at TDF over J/C. It's unconscionable.

And taking a breath, once again, it's just the first GP of this new season, so I'm going to try and relax and wish the skaters well. It's useless hoping the judges will score fairly, so it is what it is.

Last edited:

oleada

Yes, and D/N are just riveting in personality. They didn't have technique or performance. What should have been scored so much higher than it was?

J/C are so held down, they have the highest Pairs scores so far this year.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Actually, now that I have seen the Knierim's SP...its not that bad at all. Take out Alexa's silly mistakes..... (Chris landed his jump???) and its not that bad at all.

But they cant do SBS spins at all.. they shouldnt end with it... its the last thing we see.

Just checked again: yes, Chris did an AWESOME triple jump!!!!!

angi

The silence regarding Alexa and Chris situation with Aljona is just so bizarre. She's posting "good vibes" posts on Instagram but not so much as wishing them luck or acknowledging them and they are at Skate America alone even after Aljona stated in interviews that she will accompany them to Skate America. Normally I wouldn't think much of it, but their refusal to talk about where she is - it's just the icing on the cake. I hope they will figure it out.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yes, and D/N are just riveting in personality. They didn't have technique or performance. What should have been scored so much higher than it was?

J/C are so held down, they have the highest Pairs scores so far this year.

You seem to enjoy being contrarian with me regardless. :blah: I said nothing about J/C's scores this season. This is an entirely new season. And please stop with the picking on D/N. :rolleyes:

Since you brung it up, J/C deserve their high scores, and I will be interested to see what happens going forward. They are definitely leading the pairs discipline with creativity, difficult transitions, and a magical connection. They are very engaging to watch. Last year, the judges kept them within a range and held them down a bit. By Worlds earlier this year, the judges course corrected themselves in assessing J/C overall (even with J/C having some slight errors). But at the beginning of last season, J/C were kept down behind some top teams, even when they skated much better than those teams. J/C should have won silver at their first GP last year and gold at their second, and made GPF. Period.

Moving on, good luck to C/L and the Knierims in coming back to try and salvage their GP debuts this season. I feel you @ANL. (((Hugs)))

skatingguy

decently
She's posting "good vibes" posts on Instagram but not so much as wishing them luck or acknowledging them and they are at Skate America alone even after Aljona stated in interviews that she will accompany them to Skate America.
I'm pretty sure that Aljona said in the interview with TSL that she would not be attending Skate America this season due to a prior commitment, which makes the fact that Alexa & Chris won't talk about her slightly strange. If this is more than a scheduling issue it would make sense to avoid the subject until after the competition.

aftershocks

Banned Member
While Tanith is okay, IMO, she's more knowledgeable about ice dance than pairs. I'd prefer hearing from Brooke Castile who gave us great insights in calling pairs event at U.S. Nationals this year. Tanith and Terry don't jibe that well in the booth either, IMO.

ETA:
Okay, so the cat is out of the bag: Knierims and Aliona are kaput! :eek: Where are Alexa and Chris going to go from here?? They've shown some real improvements in their skating, so all is not lost. But, they have no confidence going into jumps, and it doesn't bode well if they can't fix that PDQ.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Kenerim’s may be veterans but based on NBC’s info today they also don’t have a coach Terry says Weir has spoken with Aloina and she’s not coaching them.

Willin

Interesting... Tannith and Terry said that the Knirems had officially ended their coaching relationship with Aljona because "something didn't work out." I don't know if that was speculation or an actual scoop.

They also said the choreographer wasn't in the competition rink with them due to issues with ISU credentialing/certification.

angi

Well, British Eurosport commentators just stated that there are several rumors that Aljona is no longer working with Alexa and Chris. I think an official announcement is just a matter of time now.

Carolla5501

Well, British Eurosport commentators just stated that there are several rumors that Aljona is no longer working with Alexa and Chris. I think an official announcement is just a matter of time now.
Yeah it sounds like that’s over. Now what?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Kenerim’s may be veterans but based on NBC’s info today they also don’t have a coach Terry says Weir has spoken with Aloina and she’s not coaching them.

My DVR says the pairs SP and free arent on for a few days... only mens free skate today, Saturday......

Willin

Idk, a hot mess of coaching? I think their only options now are to go to Florida or up to Canada. I don't know what their deal is, but I don't know if coaching is the problem as much as confidence... Maybe they need a sports psychologist?

Personally I think other teams will move up to replace them. Cain/LeDuc, Stellato/Bartholomay, and Kayne/O'Shea certainly see a door opening for them sooner than expected. They may not be as competitive internationally right now, but with the PCS boost of being the US Champ and/or all three teams' general upwards trend in scores/results I could see them making a push to get back three spots.

ETA: Aljona and the Knirems both confirmed the split. They said they had made a lot of progress with her but it didn't work out. Maybe Aljona was too busy with shows or they were unable/unwilling to train in Germany year-round for whatever reason? Based on the comments from both it seems like an amicable split, so maybe they'll work together more in the future.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Congrats to C/L for skating well enough to make the podium. Hase/Seegert tanked. And Efimova/Korovin and T/M looked flat and boring and made bad mistakes, but still get those Russian-rep gifts for having tech quality they don't always live up to. Biggest thing for me: E/F and T/M lack personality and as many Russian teams, are generally overscored on PCS. What did either Russian team have to lose? Why are E/F looking so desperate? Go out and skate well to earn the gifts and the high esteem the judges always hold them in.

Oh well. I think the Knierims handled the interview very classy, and it is what it is. Aliona didn't seem to want to make a complete commitment to coaching anyway. And since Aliona is a winner, she may not have had the patience to guide a team like the Knierims through inevitable ups and downs in a transitional season, after having really helped them with some needed improvements in their skating skills and presentation over the off-season. Chris and Alexa need someone else to hammer out their tech difficulties on sbs jumps and their competitive nerves. Seemingly, there are no hard feelings, and everyone is moving forward in a positive way. :)

ETA:
As good as she's been covering ice dance, I find Tanith boring and grating trying to commentate pairs. Please, please bring in Brooke Castile!!! :drama: John Coughlin would be better too but I think he's moved on to other things.

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

I don't think it's likely but it would be really something if SK/K ended up with Jim Peterson. Again, I don't think that going to happen.

Spiralgraph

I would hope that it's John Zimmerman.

Kind of concerning that Aliona wanted them to work harder and they weren't; if that's true.

Yes, Zimmerman would be good for them but John Z already has D/F. Would they want to train with another top USA team? There's going to be a lot of interesting speculation on these boards about what really does happen.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't think it's likely but it would be really something if SK/K ended up with Jim Peterson. Again, I don't think that going to happen.

No, I doubt it. Peterson is concentrating on Deanna and Nate, plus his heart is also still with Tarah and Danny. I don't think that the Knierims would fit in with John Z crew so much either, but that could be a better possibility. John Z and Silvia have established a very good reputation of ironing out partner issues and bringing out the best qualities in skaters (both pairs and singles).

I can't see the Knierims deciding to work in Canada. That would be desperation. Maybe John Z, and if not then Chicago with Brubaker and Berton. Meno/Sand is iffy, as is Bobby Martin in Boston. That's it for high profile pairs coaches in the U.S. outside of Sappenfield who is now concentrating on Tarah & Danny and her younger teams. Going back to Sappenfield might be awkward to say the least, especially with direct rivals T&D there, even despite Chis & Alexa apparently having been personally close to Sappenfield.

believed

Official: Alexa Knierim/Chris Knierim are no longer working with Aljona Savchenko; the first thing they will do when they go home is “look for a new coach” #SkateAmerica

https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1053754264802144256?s=21

More updates from Lynn Rutherford:

#SkateAmerica: @Scimeca_Knierim are no longer being coached by Aliona Savchenko. They said they learned a great deal from her & appreciated the experience. "We are very strong people so we are ready for whatever is next," said Alexa. They will return to Chicago after SKAM. The next event for @Scimeca_Knierim is NHK on Nov. 9. "We have our tickets booked. We'll just figure things out over the next two weeks."

https://twitter.com/lynnrutherford/status/1053756862011604992?s=21

https://twitter.com/lynnrutherford/status/1053757805423816704?s=21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information