From Russia with love [#29]: Spring 2018 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiK

I bet she is great!!! Jana was such a talented ice dancer. Her amateur career ended too soon. I wish she had found someone worthy of her skills after the partnership with Andreev dissolved.

Downgrading to Andreev was a spectacular mistake in the first place. Also, If she had stayed with Novitski they could had a decent pro career. (Drobiasko & Vanagas did very well with even less hardware medals).

lauravvv

He never did ice age but she did.
Novitski did not do Ice Age, but he took part in the Ice and Flame/Fire show in 2010 that had both skating and dancing on the floor. He was only in a couple of episodes, though, and then was replaced by Tikhonov who had fallen out with his partner previously (or his partner could not skate for some reason). I don't remember exactly, but I think it was because of injury.

Here his and Svetikova's two on-ice performances - https://youtu.be/HoVWWWRJBbQ, https://youtu.be/lQNqY_6zqm8.

Sylvia

TBD
The composition of Russian figure skaters - participants of the Grand Prix series of the 2018/2019 season (June 29, 2018) - listed by event: http://fsrussia.ru/news/3756-sostav...v-etapov-serii-gran-pri-sezona-2018-2019.html

Ladies (received the maximum of 18 spots):
Alina Zagitova - Finland & Russia
Evgenia Medvedeva - Skate Canada & France
Maria Sotskova - Japan & France
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Skate Canada & Japan
Elena Radionova - Skate America & Japan
Polina Tsurskaya - Skate America & Russia
Stanislava Konstantinova (debut) - Finland & France
Daria Panenkova (debut) - Skate Canada & Finland
Sofia Samodurova (debut) - Skate America
3rd spot in Russia is TBD.

Men (12 spots):
Mikhail Kolyada - Finland & Russia
Dmitri Aliev - Japan & France
Sergei Voronov - Skate America & Japan
Alexander Samarin - Skate Canada & France
Alexey Erokhov (debut) - Finland & Russia
Andrei Lazukin - Finland
Artur Dmitriev - Russia

Pairs (10 spots):
Tarasova/Morozov - Skate America & Russia
Zabiiako/Enbert - Finland & Japan
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin (debut) - Finland & Russia
Boikova/Kozlovskii (debut) - Skate Canada & France
Efimova/Korovin - Skate America & Russia

Dance (12 spots):
Stepanova/Bukin - Finland & Russia
Zagorski/Guerreiro - Skate America & Japan
Sinitsina/Katsalapov - Skate Canada & France
Skoptcova/Aleshin (debut) - Skate Canada & Japan
Popova/Mozgov - Finland & France
Evdokimova/Bazin - Russia
3rd spot in Russia is TBD.

Eislauffan

No Kovtun, no Leonova :fragile

Is Kostornaia still too young?

Kovtun wasn't considered, since he has no seasons best from last season, I think. He withdrew from Skate America after the short program and didn't do any other international competition. Since he also withdrew from Russian Nationals sitting in something like 15th place after the short, he is not not the National team anymore, so the Russian Federation chose Artur Dmitriev for the host spot at Cup of Russia (Rostelecom Cup). Maxim will need to start at the Challenger Series and national Cup of Russia events to work his way back up if he wants to.

hanca

Values her privacy
Thanks, but it also means she will be 17 going to 18 in the Beijing Olympic season. Can't wait!
Which means that shw will be like Medvedeva, beaten by another 15 going on 16 year old girl. Possibly one of those who will become junior eligible this coming season or one season after that.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Any thoughts on the TBD pics for Rostelecom?

Ladies looks the most crowded: Samodurova could get a second event or one of Pogorilaya, Leonova, Sakhanovich, and Mikhailova could get a sole assignment.

Dance: hoping this is given to Shpilevaya/Smirnov.

Ka3sha

Any thoughts on the TBD pics for Rostelecom?

Ladies looks the most crowded: Samodurova could get a second event or one of Pogorilaya, Leonova, Sakhanovich, and Mikhailova could get a sole assignment.

Dance: hoping this is given to Shpilevaya/Smirnov.
I believe that Gubanova also has a shot at it, especially after she moved to Buyanova and CSKA

There was an interview with Leonova in early spring, she said that she is staying and wants to compete

Last edited:

Eislauffan

Russian skaters have started to post the tragic story of one fellow skater, Ivan Samodelkin (22), on Instagram. Samodelkin, who just got married recently, was severely injured in an accident and lost his right leg. Apparently he has been performing in shows after retiring from competitive skating. The skaters are raising funds now to support Ivan and to help him to get an artificial limb that will allow him to return on to the ice (that kind of prothesis apparently costs 32,000 USD).
Here is one of the postings in Russian and English, by pair skater Dmitri Ialin:
https://www.instagram.com/dimqa_yalin/
And Mikhail Kolyada (in Russian, but several photos): https://www.instagram.com/mikhail_kolyada/

I interviewed Ivan Samodelkin. Stay tuned for more information about him and his story. It's very sad, but Ivan seems to be a very courageous young man who is not willing to give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information