The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

This is a general discussion thread for all things ice dance. A place where fans of all ice dance teams have the chance to discuss their favorite heart-stopping moments, tear-inducing mistakes, to-rocker-or-not-to-rocker controversies, where-did-everybody-go-after-the-Olympics, and whatever else the ice dance world throws at us.

We all survived the Olympic ice dance season!:encore:

Continue.

Twilight1

So can someone explain bolero and rhumba to me. A friend told me they are the same?!?

Dobre

Just crossposting the news in the From Russia With Love thread that Popova & Mozgov have confirmed their move to train with Krylova.

(I've always thought Betina Popova was a miniature Krylova so I'm getting a kick out this. There is some beauty in how small the world of ice dance is).

Ka3sha

Just crossposting the news in the From Russia With Love thread that Popova & Mozgov have confirmed their move to train with Krylova.

(I've always thought Betina Popova was a miniature Krylova so I'm getting a kick out this. There is some beauty in how small the world of ice dance is).
I think that this move might work really well for Betina/Sergei.
I hope that Anjelika and Tchaikovskaia will work on their posture

There's also recent interview with Hurtado/Khaliavin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSJ66hwBf0&app=desktop
Nothing really new, but they started working on tango pattern (1:58)

Last edited:

VGThuy

Now that the Shibs have signed up with UTA for representation (while still having Yuki Saegusa from IMG for representation), I take it that they're looking to take advantage of newer opportunities that are opening up for them outside of skating, which means I should prepare myself for some news that they won't be continuing in competitive skating...or will at least take some time off and wait and see how it all pans out. I could be wrong though. I honestly knew I had to deal with this possibility after the Olympics, so maybe I'm being premature about it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/uta-signs-shib-sibs-1101586

Luckily, I'm such a fan of this discipline that I won't have any shortage of teams to root for and it would be nice to watch ice dance without being so stressed out about a team I'm irrationally ubering. I can just enjoy it and try to watch it as objectively as possible until I fall in love again or think a real unfair result has occurred.

I think P/C have what it takes to dominate the next four years, but I also will not be shocked at all if say Hubbell/Donohue or any young teams out there make their mark and start seriously challenging the status-quo. The Shibs may actually not "retire" and can continue winning things people don't think they are able to. The first seasons in an Olympic cycle are really exciting when it comes to ice dance and the fight for a place in the hierarchy.

caseyedwards

Why can h/b go to Montreal but no Russian team can. It’s awful. They are trying to bring North American coaching to Russia with krylova but I hope she is allowed to be North American and abolish all Russian style in her coaching like she did in Detroit

VGThuy

This may be a stupid question but are Carreira/Ponomarenko going to stay juniors or will they move up to seniors?

chapis

And now the question is, which top team will go with Marina ?, I hope Russia send some junior teams to Canton, I hope S/S, they would be a dream for Marina.

RoseRed

This may be a stupid question but are Carreira/Ponomarenko going to stay juniors or will they move up to seniors?
I don't think we know yet. They might have a hard time getting assignments in senior, so they might want to stay one more year and do 2 JGPS, JGPF, and try to win JWs. They could increase their World Standing, and they're still pretty young (especially Anthony).

Or they could move up. With P/B splitting and the Shibs not competing, it increases their odds of being able to get GP spots. As of now, they aren't guaranteed any, but when 2015-16 is dropped from the WS, they might move into the top 24. They're at 27 right now.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I think the Shibs are wise. The Oly medal works for a while in terms of opportunities outside skating, and they're smart and photogenic and attractive and they're not a romantic couple who could break up.

I don't think the top of the field is so crowded that if they leave there won't be a spot for them coming back, if that's what they want.

RoseRed

And now the question is, which top team will go with Marina ?, I hope Russia send some junior teams to Canton, I hope S/S, they would be a dream for Marina.
Yeah, she's got space right now. If the rumour about H/B going to Montreal turns out not to be true, maybe they'll go to her. Right now she only has Muramoto/Reed, Lorenz/Polizoakis, Reed/Ambrulevicius and Lewis/Bye in junior, that I know of.

chameleonster

I don't think we know yet. They might have a hard time getting assignments in senior, so they might want to stay one more year and do 2 JGPS, JGPF, and try to win JWs. They could increase their World Standing, and they're still pretty young (especially Anthony).

Or they could move up. With P/B splitting and the Shibs not competing, it increases their odds of being able to get GP spots. As of now, they aren't guaranteed any, but when 2015-16 is dropped from the WS, they might move into the top 24. They're at 27 right now.
Someone did the math on GS, they will be top 24 in WS next season. With Shibs out, P/B split, and H/B guaranteed two GPs due to placing 10th at worlds, C/P have a decent chance of snagging a second spot if they choose to move up.

clairecloutier

Well, selfishly I'm disappointed that the Shibs won't be competing next season. But I definitely understand. The last 4 years were not an easy road, but they triumphed in the end, and they deserve to fully enjoy the fruits of their success!

I think one of my main regrets is I was really looking forward to see what new creative directions they might go in with their competitive programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information