Nathan Chen (#Slaythan Fans) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

olympic

So, Nathan's LP jump layout for the Olympics? Anyone?? I have a feeling he will go for 6 quads. He performed 5 while sick at Nationals.

4Z-3T
4F
4S
---
4Z
4T-1L-3S
4T
3A-2T
3Z

But does anyone think the 4L is a possibility? I wonder if the 3L at Nationals was a placeholder ....

Firedancer

He has been saying the 4L is out and we haven’t seen it since Japan Open so I believe him on that. He has also been saying he was sticking with 5 quads. In that one interview (the really good Russian one) he talked about how the Olympics is such a high stress event so he would stick with 5 quads. He could change his mind if he feels good or thinks it could get him a win though.
Maybe?
4Lz-3T
4F
3L

4Lz
4T-1/2L-3S
4S
3A
3Lz-2T

Dobre

But does anyone think the 4L is a possibility? I wonder if the 3L at Nationals was a placeholder ....

It was odd that it was third, wasn't it? I wasn't paying close enough attention to the jump entrance while watching in the stands, and I thought he had popped the jump. Until he went for the fifth quad.

Of course putting the loop up early gave him a bit of a "respite" and saves the harder jumps for the bonus.

Predicting Nathan's jump layout, though, is just not possible.

Tahuu

In this video, Nathan does a very nice 4T-1/2L-3F https://youtu.be/IESZ4gBhGgw?t=57. If he goes for 7 quads, the layout may look like

4Lz-3T
4Lz
4L

4F-2T
4T-1/2L-3F
4T
4S
3A

If clean, with SP 4Lz-3T, 4F, 3A and 1-2 GOE and 9-9.25 PCS, it would be well over Hanyu's 330+ record, maybe 345. Even if he does 3L, the score would still be more than 330+.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Am I the only one who likes his Vera Wang costumes? I think he looks amazing.

I LOVE both of Nathan's SP and FS Wang costumes!

Congrats again to Nathan on winning Nationals and being named December's male athlete of the month! :respec:

Now if only I could find Nathan's Kellogg's cereal box! I've seen a snowboarder and ice hockey player Kellogg's box but no Nathan yet! (I'm currently living in Orlando).

Last edited:

Firedancer

I LOVE both Nathan's SP and FS Wang costumes!

Congrats again to Nathan on winning Nationals and being named December's male athlete of the month! :respec:

Now if only I could find Nathan's Kellogg's cereal box! I've seen a snowboarder and ice hockey player Kellogg's box but no Nathan yet! (I'm currently living in Orlando).

I saw Nathan’s cereal box today!! Keep looking. Last time all I could find was the hockey player and today it was all Nathan. :biggrinbo The stores must get them with just one athlete at a time.

skatfan

He has admitted to a foot issue - and the lutz was not working this week. My guess is that he would only plan one at the max. Flip, toe, sal, probably repeating the flip to max out points.

Firedancer

Did he actually admit to anything? They asked him in the press conference and all he would say is the lutz was not working this week.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Did he actually admit to anything? They asked him in the press conference and all he would say is the lutz was not working this week.

Yeah I remember that! Nathan more or less said something along the lines of his 'not feeling' the quad lutz this past week!

Hopefully, the 'Feeling Begins' for Nathan and that quad lutz come the Olympics! :D

I saw Nathan’s cereal box today!! Keep looking. Last time all I could find was the hockey player and today it was all Nathan. :biggrinbo The stores must get them with just one athlete at a time.

Thanks! I've been looking! Even asking grocery store managers but they all tell me basically they can order Kellogg's cereal but they get whatever they get! Apparently they don't have the option of ordering a particular Olympic hopeful's or Olympian's box! This one manager listened patiently and smiled as I enthused about Nathan, his quads, how he just won Nationals and is heading to the Olympics! But alas - he can't just order the 'Nathan' cereal boxes!

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
He has admitted to a foot issue - and the lutz was not working this week. My guess is that he would only plan one at the max. Flip, toe, sal, probably repeating the flip to max out points.

Recently? Because I didn't hear or read about Nathan mentioning any foot issue at Nationals!??

skatfan

Recently? Because I didn't hear or read about Nathan mentioning any foot issue at Nationals!??

Yes. Listen to the latest episode of Ice Talk. Nathan hasn’t said exactly what it is. I think he’s had it since the GPFinal at least because Raf hinted at an issue there that he wouldn’t discuss.

I saw the one terrible practice he had at SAP arena this past week - he fell on at least 3 Quad lzs and after that switched to the toe in the SP.

Firedancer

Yes. Listen to the latest episode of Ice Talk. Nathan hasn’t said exactly what it is. I think he’s had it since the GPFinal at least because Raf hinted at an issue there that he wouldn’t discuss.

I saw the one terrible practice he had at SAP arena this past week - he fell on at least 3 Quad lzs and after that switched to the toe in the SP.

Thanks! I will listen to that today.

shine

He has been saying the 4L is out and we haven’t seen it since Japan Open so I believe him on that. He has also been saying he was sticking with 5 quads. In that one interview (the really good Russian one) he talked about how the Olympics is such a high stress event so he would stick with 5 quads. He could change his mind if he feels good or thinks it could get him a win though.
Maybe?
4Lz-3T
4F
3L

4Lz
4T-1/2L-3S
4S
3A
3Lz-2T

I personally don’t want to see him go for 6 quads. Frankly I think even 5 is too much for now. The LP has never been skated with the same performance level, intricacy of choreography and emotional depth since its debut. Artistically much of the amazing advancement he had made between last season and the beginning of this season has been lost IMO, and I think it’s all because of the pursuit of a 5-quad program. Watching his LP from US Nationals I honestly felt he might as well have gone back to Prince Igor. Mao’s Last Dancer skated without emotional depth and intensity is very empty since it’s so minimalist and it’s not the kind of music that can carry the skater - the skater has to carry the music. I want him to remember why he went to Shae-Lynn and Lori for those two programs in the first place and what he had intended to show at the start of the season. I don’t want him to win gold just because he has 5 quads. I want him to skate a musical and emotion-packed program like it is intended to be skated.

Firedancer

I personally don’t want to see him go for 6 quads. Frankly I think even 5 is too much for now. The LP has never been skated with the same performance level, intricacy of choreography and emotional depth since its debut. Artistically much of the amazing advancement he had made between last season and the beginning of this season has been lost IMO, and I think it’s all because of the pursuit of a 5-quad program. Watching his LP from US Nationals I honestly felt he might as well have gone back to Prince Igor. Mao’s Last Dancer skated without emotional depth and intensity is very empty since it’s so minimalist and it’s not the kind of music that can carry the skater - the skater has to carry the music. I want him to remember why he went to Shae-Lynn and Lori for those two programs in the first place and what he had intended to show at the start of the season. I don’t want him to win gold just because he has 5 quads. I want him to skate a musical and emotion-packed program like it is intended to be skated.

Nathan was sick before and at nationals. He said he lost training time prior to the event and his performance of both programs was obviously impacted. I think he did a great job considering that and whatever foot issue he is dealing with. But even with the reduced performance, I don’t think it’s fair to say he might as well have gone back to Prince Igor.

I want Nathan to win gold because he puts out the two best performances (hopefully clean) at the Olympics and worlds. He obviously needs work on the 3A. And I would like to see him continue to work on the choreography. But he needs to maximize points under the judging system, which right now rewards quads. So while I always want to see him continue to improve his components, and I think he has, I fully expect to see five quads.

olympic

I think if he can do 5 quads in that condition, he could do 6 at the Olympics.

His first spin, the Camel change Camel - If I were to nit pick, I wish he switched Camel spins with more pop. He kind of flops into the 2nd Camel like a dying fish. I say this as a huge fan

aftershocks

Banned Member
Cross-posting from U.S. men's thread:
A big wish I have is that someone will instruct the Olympics camera people to please, please not go in on a close-up of Nathan's countenance at the start of either of his programs. Why can't someone explain that viewers need to see skaters entire bodies, and that we really want to see Nathan's opening moves to his programs, especially the creative moves to his sp, which are way more crucial to enjoying the experience than having a close-up on his expression and then he rapidly moves completely out of the shot! This happens because fs camera people and the sports directors are so clueless and uninformed. :rolleyes: :drama: I've begged before for split-screen shots if they must do those close-ups. What's the difficulty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty87PBMS3gU sp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWGe__wx8R4 fp

Well, the streamlined outfits are kinda growing on me, but mainly because it's Nathan wearing them and they fit him so nicely and he seems to feel comfortable wearing them. I wonder what the experience of watching Nathan was like in person for fans in the rink? :)

ETA: I disagree with Tara blithely mentioning during the sp commentary that Nathan became an artist only in 2018. Of course, he's matured and grown in his aesthetic skills this season. However, Nathan has always had a unique feel for the music, as well as precocious artistic talent. Here's proof for those who haven't witnessed the young Nathan (3 years ago). Listen closely to Ted Barton's commentary. :) (unfortunately comments have been cut out of this clip -- whoever the commentator was, he spoke about Nathan having artistry at a young age):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf1l-ebzZ88

Nathan was struggling a bit during this period with his bone growth issues, and see what he was still able to accomplish!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan's Bridgestone Tires "Clutch Performance" video (uploaded on Jan. 18): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOp7MC92Y5A

This funny 30-second clip with Ashley Wagner was uploaded on Jan. 23rd: https://twitter.com/Bridgestone/status/955870146597240832
Same video also is posted on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeTU8h-FSTX/?hl=en&taken-by=bridgestonetires

ETA:

LA Times' Helene Elliott wrote a column focused on Nathan (Jan. 23): http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-olympics-chen-20180123-story.html
Getting the level of his artistry closer to the extraordinarily high level of his jumps is his biggest challenge. Don't put it past him, though. That 10-year-old who predicted he'd compete in the 2018 Olympics lives on in his soul and his resolve.
"I've been working on it a lot, trying to find the artistic balance, trying to find purpose in my movement, combined with the jumps," he said. "It's very difficult to combine the two, but at the same time I believe that given a little bit more time, I think we will find that balance."

Last edited:

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
Elliott's write-up was also dismissive of ice dance as well. I know we Americans are all about gold or nothing but seriously.

She did acknowledge the U.S dance teams could win a bronze medal. I think it is common belief it will be extremely hard for any team to dislodge the French or Virtue & Moir from the top 2 medals.

Chen has a shot at the gold but he could also could fall as low as 5th or 6th like he was at worlds last year.

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
At ‘17 Worlds, Chen’s poor finish was linked to boot issues. He seems to have identified and resolved the problem, so I am quite hopeful all is well heading into the Olympics

I agree but if he doesnt skate cleanly Hanyu, Uno, and Fernandez all have the potential of beating him. So he still could hypothetically finish as low as 4th atleast, even if he also has the chance of winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information