Gracie Gold in treatment for eating disorder, depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatepixie

My hunch is that her issue is not the stereotypical anorexia seen in skaters, but something else, possibly related to some of the issues her dad is having in his professional life. It seems like there's a lot going on here, and of course a lot of assumptions being made. Here's hoping Gracie gets back on track.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
So someone elsewhere linked this article, and it contained this quote:

After a growth spurt over the past two years of 6 inches and 21 pounds, the 5-foot-1-inch, 98-pound Kwan is already on a low-fat diet, having been told to stay away from soda and potato chips. "Weight is death" for jumping among women skaters, said her coach, Frank Carroll.

Debbie S

Not to mention - pretty much 0 coaches read these policies. You don't have to take a quiz on them or sign something saying you read it or even given a link to where it is on the USFS website. If you really want to know their position, you have to look it up for yourself.
Coaches do have to pass continuing ed courses each year to maintain their certification to coach. Current format is a PowerPoint presentation and then a quiz. I think one course has to be on ethics, and for coaches wanting to coach at qualifying comps, a course on IJS rules. I remember one of my club's coaches telling me one year that most of the other course topics had to do with abuse or sexual harassment. If USFS wants coaches to understand eating disorder issues, that could be a way to deliver the info, although since most coaches view the courses as something to check off, and usually complete them a day or two before the July 1 deadline, I'm not sure how much attention they pay to the content.

triple_toe

I've seen a very successful coach once jump out from the ice to chastise a skater for eating a slice of toast, I've heard an international judge say about world podium contender "XX is never going to get those triple-triples credited if she doesn't deal with that ass first," I've heard A-list figure skating celebrities giggle about how fat a thirteen year old girl is when she is nothing of the sort... this sort of thing is hardly unusual. "Fat doesn't fly," right?

There's a lot of "sensitivity training" language that goes around so that people can save their own behinds, but if you've ever had someone look you up and down and dismiss you with one glance, you'll know that it's not all about what people say, it's the atmosphere. I don't really know what to do about it to be honest. :(

chapis

Also, going to an RD for advice on healthy eating might be expensive. I don't know what those professionals charge for their services, but in a sport that is already so costly, parents and/or skaters might not be able to get that educated advice if they can't afford it.

if they manage to pay skates, ice time, coaching, costumes, travel to competitions, surely they can pay a professional nutritionist, there are priorities.

screech

I kind of wonder whether Gracie's eating disorder is a conscious thing. It can be highly related to depression.

I myself battle depression. I am naturally 'underweight' for my size. I'm 5'5 30-something female and usually weigh around 110 lbs. One of my depression symptoms is lack of motivation. Getting up off the couch to actually make myself something to eat sometimes takes a lot of work. And tied in with a loss of appetite (again, due to the depression), I don't always get the calories I need. I don't have any kind of thoughts about eating less, or controlling my food intake, it's just a matter of my depression. On the flip side, there are days when I can't get enough to eat.

A few years ago, before I recognized the depression, I had lost 10 lbs within a few months. A lot of people would be happy about that. I was worried because I'm already very slender and I hadn't noticed myself doing anything different with my eating habits, wasn't under any more stress than usual, and had lost almost 10% of my weight.

I'm not saying this is Gracie's situation, but my lack of caloric intake could be classified as an eating disorder, when it's really tied to another issue (I am now seeing a psychologist for my depression).

Willin

@Debbie S Unfortunately, the continuing ed courses are through the PSA (an international organization for coaches), not USFSA, so USFSA has little influence on which courses are mandated. When I took the classes, the quiz questions were literally copy and paste from the pdfs you had to read, making cheating/not paying attention really easy.
You also don't need to do all the classes - usually a few are mandated (concussions, ethics, etc.), but they offer many more. I believe they do offer a nutrition one, but it's one of the classes you need to pay more money for. Generally there are enough (3-5) free or low cost ($10) classes that you can do for your credits each year that there's no reason to pay for the $30+ ones, and most coaches don't.

skatepixie

if they manage to pay skates, ice time, coaching, costumes, travel to competitions, surely they can pay a professional nutritionist, there are priorities.

For top skaters, yes. For the Average Josie types? Some folks are barely paying for skates, ice time, coaching, etc. And even the top skaters were usually once the struggling ones, the ones with moms whose clothes are barely not falling apart. ;)

I think a coach should be able to "say something" about body shape, etc, but with minors it is probably best filtered through the parents. Yes, an RD can be suggested, but a few pointers here and there from the coach if the parents can't swallow the price tag isn't un-ethical, I don't think.

skatepixie

I kind of wonder whether Gracie's eating disorder is a conscious thing. It can be highly related to depression.

I'm not saying this is Gracie's situation, but my lack of caloric intake could be classified as an eating disorder, when it's really tied to another issue (I am now seeing a psychologist for my depression).

Yeah, I think it's more something of that nature, although my gut instinct here is that she is one of the ones who "eats her feelings" rather than someone who isn't motivated enough to eat. Her big change during her decline wasn't downward...

There's no shame either way, of course, but I don't think Gracie is the poster child for restrictive diets in the skating world the way some want to make her out to be.

Cleo1782

I've seen a very successful coach once jump out from the ice to chastise a skater for eating a slice of toast, I've heard an international judge say about world podium contender "XX is never going to get those triple-triples credited if she doesn't deal with that ass first," I've heard A-list figure skating celebrities giggle about how fat a thirteen year old girl is when she is nothing of the sort... this sort of thing is hardly unusual. "Fat doesn't fly," right?

There's a lot of "sensitivity training" language that goes around so that people can save their own behinds, but if you've ever had someone look you up and down and dismiss you with one glance, you'll know that it's not all about what people say, it's the atmosphere. I don't really know what to do about it to be honest. :(

I have to say I have seen very similar things that you have. I remember a very well known coach regularly bringing a scale to the rink to weigh his skaters. No one really blinked an eye. Not the parents or other skaters or coaches. I think things have changed a bit since I was skating, but I often still hear comments about skaters weight all the time from coaches, their peers, parent etc. It's not an easy situation to fix.

Debbie S

You also don't need to do all the classes - usually a few are mandated (concussions, ethics, etc.), but they offer many more. I believe they do offer a nutrition one, but it's one of the classes you need to pay more money for. Generally there are enough (3-5) free or low cost ($10) classes that you can do for your credits each year that there's no reason to pay for the $30+ ones, and most coaches don't.
Yes, that's true, coaches only need 3 (or 4, if they are seeking IJS cert, but USFS recently changed the rule so there is no more Cat B vs A, i.e. they all take the IJS course, which I guess makes sense since the plan is to eventually adopt IJS for all levels) courses. I thought they were all the same price (and the ethics one was free), guess not. The PSA is a separate org, but they are USFS's official coach education partner, and I believe that it is a USFS coach who runs the CER program, so I think USFS could have some influence over required topics if they wanted to.

chapis

For top skaters, yes. For the Average Josie types? Some folks are barely paying for skates, ice time, coaching, etc. And even the top skaters were usually once the struggling ones, the ones with moms whose clothes are barely not falling apart. ;)

I guess in my country we are lucky, a consultation with a nutritionist will cost 37 US dollars at most, there are even 11 dlls (not so lucky for the nutritionist :shuffle:)

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I hope Gracie gets the best help possible and takes all the time she needs. I hope that her long-term health hasn't been damaged. Alas, depression, anxiety and one's relationship with food can be lifelong struggles, so I hope she gets the tools she needs to cope in healthy ways from here on out.

I'm also encouraged that she came out with this publicly. I hope it will encourage others to do so, without shame.

triple_toe

I have to say I have seen very similar things that you have. I remember a very well known coach regularly bringing a scale to the rink to weigh his skaters. No one really blinked an eye. Not the parents or other skaters or coaches. I think things have changed a bit since I was skating, but I often still hear comments about skaters weight all the time from coaches, their peers, parent etc. It's not an easy situation to fix.

I was at my peak few years back and at several training centres I went to, weigh-ins were very much still a thing. In some places the little log book of everyone's weight would be left out. Sometimes it wouldn't be everyone, but the select few who had "problems with fitness." If they got to a certain goal weight, maybe they wouldn't have to keep getting weighed. Maybe they still did. Of course, everyone knew who they were.

mag

Yeah, I think it's more something of that nature, although my gut instinct here is that she is one of the ones who "eats her feelings" rather than someone who isn't motivated enough to eat. Her big change during her decline wasn't downward...

There's no shame either way, of course, but I don't think Gracie is the poster child for restrictive diets in the skating world the way some want to make her out to be.

Wow! Talk about being part of the problem.

Cleo1782

I was at my peak few years back and at several training centres I went to, weigh-ins were very much still a thing. In some places the little log book of everyone's weight would be left out. Sometimes it wouldn't be everyone, but the select few who had "problems with fitness." If they got to a certain goal weight, maybe they wouldn't have to keep getting weighed. Maybe they still did. Of course, everyone knew who they were.
I skated in the late 90's and early 2000's (at my peak). I was also at a premier training center at the time. Part of the reason I think these weigh in and issues happen is because it was part of the culture that was accepted. It how these coaches were trained themselves. I am not sure it ever really helped a skater that wasn't at an 'optimal' weight and just made them feel worse about themselves. Hopefully, these recent skaters coming out and talking about it will at least create more discussion among the USFSA.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Eating disorders don't always involve not eating enough, or having a "restrictive diet". They can also be in the form of eating way more food than is healthy, or eating mostly unhealthy foods. Don't assume that if someone looks heavier than before they don't have an eating disorder.

misskarne

And comments like this are a huge part of the issue. As were the comments that people tried to be cute about it by saying she was "obviously out of shape". Jesus Christ people.

triple_toe

I skated in the late 90's and early 2000's (at my peak). I was also at a premier training center at the time. Part of the reason I think these weigh in and issues happen is because it was part of the culture that was accepted. It how these coaches were trained themselves. I am not sure it ever really helped a skater that wasn't at an 'optimal' weight and just made them feel worse about themselves. Hopefully, these recent skaters coming out and talking about it will at least create more discussion among the USFSA.

In my experience, when someone comes out with an eating disorder, they're always spoken of in hushed tones with sympathetic expressions and general sentiments of "oh dear how awful" but no one really tends to reflect on how they personally might have contributed to the situation, whether they themselves have an ED, whether they're being harmful to others... The "poor girl/boy" is sick/couldn't handle it/has psychological problems, but that's on them, tragic as it is. Then everything carries on as usual because that's the way it's always been done.

I think weigh ins are degrading, ineffective long term solutions at best.

Cleo1782

In my experience, when someone comes out with an eating disorder, they're always spoken of in hushed tones with sympathetic expressions and general sentiments of "oh dear how awful" but no one really tends to reflect on how they personally might have contributed to the situation, whether they themselves have an ED, whether they're being harmful to others... The "poor girl/boy" is sick/couldn't handle it/has psychological problems, but that's on them, tragic as it is. Then everything carries on as usual because that's the way it's always been done.

I think weigh ins are degrading, ineffective long term solutions at best.

Yes it is sad, but most in the skating world move on . To this day anytime I am at an event I hear so and so has gained weight, or is out of shape, or too tall, etc. It's been like this since the day I started the sport. It's unfortunate, and I think in a lot of situations coaches turn a blind eye. As you said, quite a large number of people involved in skating may not have full blown eating disorders, but unhealthy issues with food and weight.

mag

Yes it is sad, but most in the skating world move on . To this day anytime I am at an event I hear so and so has gained weight, or is out of shape, or too tall, etc. It's been like this since the day I started the sport. It's unfortunate, and I think in a lot of situations coaches turn a blind eye. As you said, quite a large number of people involved in skating may not have full blown eating disorders, but unhealthy issues with food and weight.

The "too tall" part is also a big problem. I know of a number of girls who basically stopped eating around 12 years old because they wanted to stop growing. I just cringe whenever I hear an adult say to girl "Wow, are you ever getting tall!"

Tall is more difficult, but you can't change your height so there is no use telling girls they are going to be tall, or getting too tall, or any other such stuff. Unfortunately girls are told this directly and indirectly by coaches all the time. In my experience, girls who coaches think will remain short, on average, get more coaching time, more positive reinforcement, and are more leniently judged. It is all part of a very big body image, body shaming culture. None of which helps develop successful skaters or people.

Sylvia

TBD
Yes, changing this culture is very difficult and can only be achieved in baby steps. I think the way we fans -- and those inside the skating world -- express ourselves on this topic is important -- words, written or spoken, and attitude, matter.

Adam Rippon's tweets today, for example: https://twitter.com/Adaripp/status/919252960265121792
If you want to know what being a champion on and off the ice is, look to [Gracie Gold]
As hard as it is to deal with mental illness privately it takes great strength and bravery to share her struggles publicly
In competitive sports, athletes are usually their own harshest critic. To take a step away from competition was surely a very hard decision.
Gracie sharing her story gives voice to those who also struggle. She’s a role model to all who try and be the best versions of ourselves.
It takes a lot of courage to put yourself first. She is incredibly strong and this proves why she is and will always be successful.
At the end of the day, we are human. We should always try and raise each other up. Love you and so proud to call you my friend, GG

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Let's get real. A woman's body has to be light and lean to be competitive. Aerodynamically it is physics. For skaters to land those jumps they can't be carrying an extra 5 lbs and trying to going it in the air for 3 rotations. It is an is. Also it is my understanding that eds are a result of needing an area of their life that they can control. Gracie hasn't looked happy on the ice in a long time. Food she could control . Ice
..not so much.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Glad that she is taking the time out to look after herself and get her priorities right. She has a whole life ahead of her and this is only a small part. Being healthy is more important than any medal or title. Taking a break and getting some perspective on the situation is to be commended. That she is honest about it and has made it public is a very brave thing to do.

Having said that, over the years having read the various comments on forums like this and comments in the media by people like Hersch (I am pretty sure there were some quite negative ones), we all need to be very careful about what we say about skaters. She has been under pressure since 15-16 about her potential. I think it was last year when she actually had quite a good performance at Worlds but she was quite devastated about it. That was not good.

mag

Let's get real. A woman's body has to be light and lean to be competitive. Aerodynamically it is physics. For skaters to land those jumps they can't be carrying an extra 5 lbs and trying to going it in the air for 3 rotations. It is an is. Also it is my understanding that eds are a result of needing an area of their life that they can control. Gracie hasn't looked happy on the ice in a long time. Food she could control . Ice
..not so much.

Have you actually read anything in this thread? What, exactly, do you mean by "an extra 5 lbs." How do you, or anyone, decide someone is carrying an extra 5 lbs? That is totally and utterly rediculous, not to mention impossible to measure.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Have you actually read anything in this thread? What, exactly, do you mean by "an extra 5 lbs." How do you, or anyone, decide someone is carrying an extra 5 lbs? That is totally and utterly rediculous, not to mention impossible to measure.
Huh? That was an example. And I have read this entire thread and saw Gracie this summer. I don't know what ed she is dealing with. But at any skater if extra weight makes skating more difficult.

Cleo1782

The "too tall" part is also a big problem. I know of a number of girls who basically stopped eating around 12 years old because they wanted to stop growing. I just cringe whenever I hear an adult say to girl "Wow, are you ever getting tall!"

Tall is more difficult, but you can't change your height so there is no use telling girls they are going to be tall, or getting too tall, or any other such stuff. Unfortunately girls are told this directly and indirectly by coaches all the time. In my experience, girls who coaches think will remain short, on average, get more coaching time, more positive reinforcement, and are more leniently judged. It is all part of a very big body image, body shaming culture. None of which helps develop successful skaters or people.

You are preaching to the choir to me. My mom was 5'2, my sister was 5'3 and I ended up growing from 5'0 tall at 14 to 5'7 by 18 lol. Being tall isn't that big of a deal (Gracie is 5'5. Polina at least 5'7), but coaches seem to still think it is. It didn't effect me learning triples-the only thing it prevented me from doing is being a pair skater-which I really wanted to be lol. I honestly don't think me being 5'2 would have changed my career much, but I was definitely told I was too tall a few times and had to be thinner to compensate. That being said, it didn't motivate me-it made me lose interest in continuing to compete because it became almost a chore to train and go to the rink because it wasn't fun for me anymore.

misskarne

That Twitter thread from Adam was lovely. I'm so glad Gracie has supportive people around her.

Let's get real. A woman's body has to be light and lean to be competitive. Aerodynamically it is physics. For skaters to land those jumps they can't be carrying an extra 5 lbs and trying to going it in the air for 3 rotations. It is an is.

Oh, there's a shocker, that you would continue contributing the unhelpful narratives and language that cause so many problems.

Japanfan

I think we should decouple ED from skating unless we can statistically connect the two.

Are EDs an issue? Heck ya. The estimates are that approx 10% of American women (and nearly that amount of men but stats are unclear) suffer from ED in their lifetime.

To me, until we get a sense that the prevalence in skating is materially above this percentage across both genders, I would look at broader societal factors as the issue versus any suggestion that the dynamics within skating itself are a problem.

I don't have time to look for any sources now, but am confident in expecting that the prevalence of ED in skating and also gymnastics is above the general average and the average for women in other sports that don't have such an emphasis on aesthetics.

It's no secret that EDs are somewhat of an epidemic in both figure skating and gymnastics. Not everyone has it to the same degree but as @triple_toe so sincerely stated "as a former figure skater with moderate success, having trained at several of the major training centres in north america, pretty much everyone I interacted with (including coaches) had a messed up relationship to food, if not a full blown disorder".

This was well-documented in the 1995 book "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters" by Joan Ryan. It found gymnastics to be even more punitive than FS with regard to ED, but ED was still a very serous problem in FS.

And a book called 'All the Sundays Yet to Come: A Skater's Journey' chronicled professional skater Kathryn Bertin's struggle with ED. It didn't address the prevalence of ED in FS, but did provide a realistic perspective of the why and how of it in the sport.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information