Gracie Gold in treatment for eating disorder, depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock2

@Rock2 I agree with most of what you say, but I never got the impression that Gracie preferred not to have attention. I don't mean that in a critical way, just that to me she seemed (at least initially) to be comfortable in the spotlight. Other skaters at elite levels didn't have as many sponsors as she did, and those wouldn't have come to an athlete without a strong public image.

IMO the hype that was put upon her as the "next one", plus the expectations and commitments that go with sponsorships, made a very unhealthy situation that would have been difficult for anyone to thrive in.

I think it's a bit of all of that.
Her first GP at SC (the event Osmond won) was a big flag for me, even at the time.

I remember thinking, "oooo, she doesn't look comfortable out there. at. all. I wonder if this is a one-off thing related to injury or other issue or if she's not loving the extra attention, stepping out of a junior career full of results and promise"...and then felt after that, that she never really became a consistent skater.

This is common, though, with skaters who are stepping up to a new level of expectation. Not all adjust. My friends remind me I said the exact same thing about Brezina in 2010, being 4th in the world, and with his technique and consistency a 4S and 4F were prob in future. I said out loud "ok now let's see how he skates as a world medal favorite in 2011". and....POOF. Never realized the immense potential. It's just how it is.

As you point out, add to it the sponsorships and expectations/hopes that come from a number of other places and it could end up being a house or cards. Le sigh.

Willin

Anxiety, depression, and eating disorders are awful, and I hope she gets all the help she needs to make her feel better. Unfortunately, they're also hard to treat, so I hope that she'll take all the time she needs to work on herself. She deserves to be happy and healthy!

Also, is there anywhere (like an address) we can send her letters of support?

angi

I truly wish her the best, it's heartbreaking learning about her struggles.
To hear the news about her and Lipnitskaia at around the same time should have sparked a broader conversation about eating disorders in the skating community and not only do I not see this conversation happening what's even more surprising for me is that no one seems to be discussing the role of their coaches in this situation and their contribution to the problem.
There are several coaches that have notoriously talked about controlling the weight of their skaters (especially female skaters) in ways that everyone should find alarming - Eteri and Krylova instantly come to mind (for me at least) - yet nothing is ever done and most don't even question that.
Aren't coaches at fault here?

Last edited:

Rock2

This! I also think these kinds of comments are dangerous:

"
There is absolutely no evidence that one, Adam lost 5 lbs, you can't tell that by looking, or two, that if he did, that it is what helped his skating. There are just way too many variables involved to make that kind of assumption. Correlation and coincidence do not equal causation.

I'm not hung up on the 5lbs as a precise number. It's less about the number. He needed to skate lighter and stronger.
Yes, you can tell by looking. He's totally leaner. No you can't guess their weight change because both muscle and fat composition contribute but you can 'see' a lot.
He recommitted to fitness and engaged a trainer more intensely for the 14-15 to improve his strength and fitness as a path to improving consistency and results. That was the intent that that's what happened. Check his results starting that season. Marked uptick.
As a math nerd I understand the diff between causation and correlation. I feel good about saying causation here. Same happened to Ashley.

MsZem

I see the sea
He recommitted to fitness and engaged a trainer more intensely for the 14-15 to improve his strength and fitness as a path to improving consistency and results. That was the intent that that's what happened. Check his results starting that season. Marked uptick.
Working on strength and fitness and losing five pounds are not the same thing.

I don't think there are any overweight skaters, but certainly there are different body types. Instead of pressuring skaters to lose weight, perhaps coaches should focus more on teaching the kind of technique that can survive puberty and other changes (as Mishin does, for instance).

mag

I'm not hung up on the 5lbs as a precise number. It's less about the number. He needed to skate lighter and stronger.
Yes, you can tell by looking. He's totally leaner. No you can't guess their weight change because both muscle and fat composition contribute but you can 'see' a lot.
As a math nerd I understand the diff between causation and correlation. I feel good about saying causation here. Same happened to Ashley.

See now I totally agree with this post with the exception of the second sentence. Totally committing to fitness, engaging a trainer etc is all great stuff. Those are the words we should be using rather than the old "lose X lbs." Talking about fitness, talking about building and fueling a body capable of doing triples and quads along with talking about being self compassionate and building a mind that can cope with the stresses of competition are all positive steps.

Talking about losing weight, even as a euphemism for getting fit, is part of the problem. I truly believe that the way we frame the conversation is important.

Rock2

You can't compare the discussions around weight in skating to most other sports, a speedskater or volleyball player needs to be fit but they aren't widely encouraged to be underweight.

Who said underweight?
When you factor in body type, strength, technique and a host of other things, all athletes net out at a target weight range to perform optimally given how all the other elements come together. Gracie knows what that is and she has referenced it. It's not 'under' anything. It's simply a target weight.
The path to getting there isn't the same skater to skater, nor is it equally easy for each. That's where it gets complicated.

There needs to be some supervision of diet for sure. If you're not a particularly powerful/strong skater (ie like a Jenny Kirk...possibly, dunno), there may be a situation where your only shot to land jumps is to be super super tiny. Elite training centers especially (if not all), yes, should be aware of the caloric intake needed for each of their athletes. If it falls below a deemed threshold where health might be compromised then you're totally right that needs to be raised and addressed.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Who said underweight?

No one had to. That's the point.

There's a far too common unspoken assumption in skating that less weight is better. I was going to say that "until it interferes with the skater's performance" but some coaches blame a decline in performance on the skater not working hard enough, not that their body isn't being fueled enough to do what they're expected to do.

mag

@Rock2 The problem is that weight is not a useful measure. I weigh exactly the same weight as I did 30 years ago. I am not, however, nearly as strong or fit. Gracie may have used "weight" as a reference, but that is part of the problem. We have conditioned skaters and coaches into thinking there is some optimum weight. There is optimum fitness, muscle mass, hydration, flexibility etc for each skater and those values will vary from skater to skater. There is also the entire mental component that affects the physical component. The whole picture needs to be taken into account, and using weight as some fast measure is not only not the least bit useful, it is dangerous.

PDilemma

I truly wish her the best, it's heartbreaking learning about her struggles.
To hear the news about her and Lipnitskaia at around the same time should have sparked a broader conversation about eating disorders in the skating community and not only do I not see this conversation happening what's even more surprising for me is that no one seems to be discussing the role of their coaches in this situation and their contribution to the problem.
There are several coaches that have notoriously talked about controlling the weight of their skaters (especially female skaters) in ways that everyone should find alarming - Eteri and Krylova instantly come to mind (for me at least) - yet nothing is ever done and most don't even question that.
Aren't coaches at fault here?

Except eating disorders are not really about weight. Study after study has shown that they are typically linked to anxiety and control issues and often trauma. Newer research is also finding that there is likely a genetic predisposition for eating disorders. Temperament seems to play a huge part as well and much of the temperament that is prime for the development of an eating disorder is the same sort of temperament that makes for an elite athlete such as perfectionism and excessive perseverance. Other parts of that temperament are sensitivity to reward and punishment, hypersensitivity and emotional instability. Additionally, something that would apply to Gracie's situation and possibly Julia's, eating disorder patients often lack coping skills to emotionally process negative experiences. It is quite evident that Gracie did not cope well with her performance at 2016 Worlds and that may have been what triggered her eating issues. There is also a high comorbidity of anxiety disorders and eating disorders and it is notable that Gracie is being treated for both.

Blaming skating is oversimplifying a complex issue.

If more than one of those predispositions exist, a coach or trainer addressing weight/fitness issues may contribute to the development of a disorder but to say that that alone causes one is oversimplifying a complex psychiatric disorder. And fitness to compete is an issue in every sport; it is naive to expect coaches to ignore that key component in skating or any sport. You even hear baseball and football players talk about losing, gaining or maintaining for a "playing weight".

angi

Blaming skating is oversimplifying a complex issue.

If more than one of those predispositions exist, a coach or trainer addressing weight/fitness issues may contribute to the development of a disorder but to say that that alone causes one is oversimplifying a complex psychiatric disorder. And fitness to compete is an issue in every sport; it is naive to expect coaches to ignore that key component in skating or any sport. You even hear baseball and football players talk about losing, gaining or maintaining for a "playing weight".
I was in no way blaming skating or saying that coaches alone are responsible for this matter. But I also don't think that stating genetics and temperament as major factors (instead of contributing factors) is right.
Just like with Harvey Weinstein and Hollywood - something like ED flourish in an environment that enables it.
If a skater have issues keeping their weight balanced and they constantly hear criticism on the subject, some of it in a degrading way (like Krylova stated she does), do you really think that it has no impact on them? I think it can be devastating especially for someone who struggles with anxiety and self esteem issues. And what about Eteri reportedly putting skaters on powder diets?
This are all adults who are (or should be) very responsible for the health and well being of their skaters. There also seem to be a code of silence about ED in figure skating, this is partly why we are all applauding (as we should) Gracie for speaking up. But do we really believe that coaches are oblivious and are not contributing to the problem?

Last edited:

mag

I think it would be fair to say the skating is a contributing factor to a complex issue and as such, what happens is skating, how coaches and judges deal with skaters, and how fans and parents talk about skaters, should be open for discussion.

Skaters at all levels need to learn to deal with the world not being within their total control. Moreso than an athlete in a timed event, judged events lend themselves to less athlete control. No matter how hard a skater trains, no matter how well they compete and perform, it is what the judges choose to see that determines the outcome. Add to that that day to day practice can feel out of control. A skater can be on fire one day and run clean program after clean program only to return to the next session or the next day and not be able to land jumps they have had for years. A skater can have a month of clean programs and suddenly fall two or three times at competition. What they are doing is extremely difficult and doesn't generally lend itself well to consistency (obviously there are exceptions to that.)

When you add an obsession with weight into the mix and condition skaters into thinking that there is some optimum weight that will get them consistency, or worse yet lower weight = consistency you can have a recipe for disaster. Yes, it is complicated, but that shouldn't stop us from calling out and trying to deal with contributing factors.

jenniferlyon

I was in no way blaming skating or saying that coaches alone are responsible for this matter. But I also don't think that stating genetics and temperament as major factors (instead of contributing factors) is right.
Just like with Harvey Weinstein and Hollywood - something like ED flourish in an environment that enables it.
If a skater have issues keeping their weight balanced and they constantly hear criticism on the subject, some of it in a degrading way (like Krylova stated she does), do you really think that it has no impact on them? I think it can be devastating especially for someone who struggles with anxiety and self esteem issues. And what about Eteri reportedly putting skaters on powder diets?
This are all adults who are (or should be) very responsible for the health and well being of their skaters. There also seem to be a code of silence about the ED in figure skating, this is partly why we are all applauding (as we should) Gracie for speaking up. But do we really believe that coaches are oblivious and are not contributing to the problem?

THIS^^^^^^^^^^

I was in junior high school when Karen Carpenter died. I am the same age as Tracey Gold (who is, as far as I know, not related to Gracie but who also fought a very public battle with anorexia in the 1980s and 1990s). I agree that skating coaches aren't oblivious. They've had over THIRTY YEARS to educate themselves and implement better strategies!

triple_toe

Eating disorders are psychologically complicated, but there's a reason why the rates of EDs are significantly higher in aesthetic sports than in the general population. FWIW as a former figure skater with moderate success, having trained at several of the major training centres in north america, pretty much everyone I interacted with (including coaches) had a messed up relationship to food, if not a full blown disorder.

Rock2

Just a bit of perspective.

I think we should decouple ED from skating unless we can statistically connect the two.

Are EDs an issue? Heck ya. The estimates are that approx 10% of American women (and nearly that amount of men but stats are unclear) suffer from ED in their lifetime. And at any given moment in time, anywhere from 3-6% of the American pop is currently suffering. There are different numbers depending on which authority you poll so no reason to dissect too deeply. Point is, 10s of millions of Americans suffer. Nothing worth sneezing at.

So you can argue that roughly 5-10% of Americans have risk factors. That says, across all population subgroups, you should expect roughly that percentage to be susceptible to developing that problem.

To me, until we get a sense that the prevalence in skating is materially above this percentage across both genders, I would look at broader societal factors as the issue versus any suggestion that the dynamics within skating itself are a problem. That doesn't mean skating gets a free pass to ignore the issue or implement support measures; it just means that if we're pointing to pressure from skating coaches and training centers as a core problem, I'd say we're getting a bit lost somewhere between the forest and the trees.

angi

To me, until we get a sense that the prevalence in skating is materially above this percentage across both genders, I would look at broader societal factors as the issue versus any suggestion that the dynamics within skating itself are a problem. That doesn't mean skating gets a free pass to ignore the issue or implement support measures; it just means that if we're pointing to pressure from skating coaches and training centers as a core problem, I'd say we're getting a bit lost somewhere between the forest and the trees.
Not to offend you - but this sounds a lot to me like putting your head in the sand. It's no secret that EDs are somewhat of an epidemic in both figure skating and gymnastics. Not everyone has it to the same degree but as @triple_toe so sincerely stated "as a former figure skater with moderate success, having trained at several of the major training centres in north america, pretty much everyone I interacted with (including coaches) had a messed up relationship to food, if not a full blown disorder". I'm sorry for using it as parallel again but to me it's exactly like what's going on in hollywood at the moment - all of a sudden when things become more public it turns out that everyone knew about it and it affected an outrageous number of people that are just now getting the courage to speak. I might be exaggerating but I think it's pretty much the same with EDs and figure skating - one day this code of silence will be broken and the real number of people affected by it will become known. The question is - do we all (including people who actually can do something about it) keep pretending this is not an issue?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Rock2 you're overlooking that the incidence of EDs can be underreported and/or that EDs might not always be recognized as such. Many of the posts here have indicated (rightly IMO) that someone suffering from an ED can be in denial, or can see it as a shameful problem they are unable to control and thus something they don't want to disclose.

You're also assuming that all populations will respond in the same way to factors that might trigger or cause an ED. If disordered eating is a "norm" in a training situation - as described by several ex-skaters that have posted here - then individuals who might otherwise not be disordered eaters might feel pressure to do what everyone else is doing.

mag

https://www.mirror-mirror.org/athlete.htm

"The Female Athlete Triad

The female athlete triad refers to three distinct and interrelated health concerns sometimes seen in women driven to excel in athletics. Those health concerns include disordered eating of some sort (such as eating far too little or binging and purging), amenorrhea (irregular menstrual periods or lack of menstruation) and osteoporosis (low bone density due to excessive exercise and lack of nutrients like calcium and vitamin D). Women that participate in activities like gymnastics, ballet and figuring skating are at increased risk for the female athlete triad, just as they are at increased risk for eating disorders like anorexia nervosa. Early recognition and treatment is imperative to prevent life-threatening complications."

triple_toe

You'd be a fool to deny that the culture of figure skating doesn't increase likelihood of developing an eating disorder. There are many factors, yes, but as this is a figure skating forum maybe we should be having a discussion of what figure skating specifically can do with regards to its responsibility in the matter. The figure skating community at large isn't going to change psychological predispositions, societal factors, family problems. I have enormous doubts it will change anything about its culture either, but at least that's within the right area. Just because some people will develop an eating disorder anyway, doesn't mean we should be apathetic about the role of the sport.

ETA: I will also add that many people might not even realize or want to admit how disordered their eating is because it's so normalized in the figure skating world. It's not like many skaters interact with peers outside the rink anyway...

mag

https://webpages.scu.edu/ftp/multimedialearning/cmallory_spr07/printableessay1.htm

"...It is difficult to say how many ice skaters have eating disorders, as there has been very little formal investigation into the matter. I was only able to find one article specifically about eating disorders in skating: it was called “The Hidden Madness,” featured in the September/October, 1994 issue of Blades on Ice magazine. The article sites a 1989 study by the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, which found that female skaters were on average, “well below the calorie levels recommended for moderately active females,” and that “forty-eight percent of the women had EAT [Eating Attitude Test] scores within the anorexic range.[1] Additionally, eating disorders seem to be affecting female athletes of a variety of sports. “In a 2002 study of 425 female college athletes, 43% said they were terrified of being or becoming too heavy, and 55% reported experiencing pressure..."

ETA from the same essay:

"...Skaters are constantly getting messages from the skating community, whether subtle or explicit, to be thin. Probably the most influential source of pressure is the coach. A number of coaches are known to demand their students to be unnaturally thin, even taking abusive measures, like publicly weighing their students, calling them “fat,” and dictating their diets. These coaches demonstrate that they are in the business to produce winning skaters at whatever cost. There are certain training rinks in which it is “known” that nearly every female skater has an eating disorder, most likely at the direction of her coach. Other coaches are less explicit, yet their comments contribute to eating disorder behavior. Coaches may complement an anorexic skater’s physique, unaware of a problem. The skater is likely to feel afraid of disappointing her coach if she were get back to a healthy weight. Judges have also been known to make comments regarding a skater’s weight. Other times, a skater will interpret a comment like “You need to improve your line” to mean “You would look better if you were thinner.[11]”..."

Willin

@Rock2 A quick look at PubMed easily found a study suggesting that female "aesthetic athletes" (such as those in ballet and skating) exhibit higher rates of disturbed eating behavior that, while not always rising to the level of an eating disorder, is related to a higher risk of developing one.
It's been long known that athletes in general - not just females - show higher rates of eating disorders and disordered eating behavior. For women it's more commonly anorexia, while with males it's more commonly bulemia (with the purging behavior being excessive exercise). They even have a name for the condition related to disordered eating in athletes because it's so common: the Female Athlete Triad. This triad includes disordered eating - which similarly describes a condition in which an individual has a troubled relationship with food and troubled perceptions of eating, but in which there is no official diagnosis. Studies about the female athlete triad note it is most prevalent in sports like figure skating and gymnastics.

In skating it's gotten to a point where they're doing frequent nutritional studies about body image, dietary habits, etc. on athletes. For sample size and ethical (age) considerations, though, the studies are primarily done on collegiate synchronized skating teams, so those may be biased.

As for coaches, it's a debate in US athletics as a whole right now. Many coaches in every sport here are coaches because of their success or knowledge of the sport, not because they're actually trained to be coaches. In college football, this has led to serious injury and illness to players. I would bet that it's not only college football.
In the US we actually have college degrees and certificates like Kinesiology, Athletic Training, etc. that teach proper training methods. This includes basic evaluation for injury or illness in an athlete, nutrition for athletes, physiology, anatomy, how to condition and build up to a full training regimen safely, how to avoid injuries in athletes, how to schedule rest periods for athlete safety, how to evaluate for exhaustion, safe training conditions (working equipment, temperature, air quality, etc.), and a lot of other important things that you'd think all coaches should know before coaching someone. Now, how many skating coaches do you think actually have one of these degrees? Zero I know, and certainly very few of the top USFS coaches. Sure, USFS and rinks employ athletic trainers, but they aren't there when skaters are on the ice with their coaches.
That means that even if a coach means well or wants to help, they may not have the skill set to do everything properly. On the issue of eating disorders, without a nutrition class, they may not even know what a skater should be eating how how much they can eat to make a healthy weight so they tell their students bad information. They may not even be able to recognize when to bring in a sports nutritionist.
If we really want to fix this problem, perhaps we should require more training for our coaches. Maybe not a bachelor's degree, but at least in-person classes and competency exams/courses that aren't optional/DIY at home (and therefore easy to cheat on).

triple_toe

Just a bit of perspective.

I think we should decouple ED from skating unless we can statistically connect the two.

Are EDs an issue? Heck ya. The estimates are that approx 10% of American women (and nearly that amount of men but stats are unclear) suffer from ED in their lifetime. And at any given moment in time, anywhere from 3-6% of the American pop is currently suffering. There are different numbers depending on which authority you poll so no reason to dissect too deeply. Point is, 10s of millions of Americans suffer. Nothing worth sneezing at.

So you can argue that roughly 5-10% of Americans have risk factors. That says, across all population subgroups, you should expect roughly that percentage to be susceptible to developing that problem.

What exactly is the point of decoupling the two until we have statistically significant evidence? Putting aside that statistics of this sort are hard to gather, anecdotally it's obvious this is a problem, common sense says EDs should be rife in the sport... why wait? Why not just assume we can be doing better, even if we overestimate our influence? Why not try to help without waiting for evidence that it's necessary?

Sylvia

TBD
Copied from USFS' Sports Science and Medicine page: http://usfigureskating.org/story?id=90254&menu=sportscienceandmedicine#chapter11

WHAT CAN I DO IF I AM CONCERNED THAT AN ATHLETE HAS AN EATING DISORDER/DISORDERED EATING?

Dealing with a potential eating disorder can be tricky. Being very thin or possessing a thin body type does not automatically signal an eating disorder. Likewise, an athlete who seems to be normal or even overweight could have seriously disordered eating or an eating disorder.

Things to consider:
  • While it is appropriate to express concern about peers or other athletes, comments about an athlete's weight, even if perceived as positive, can reinforce negative habits that can lead to or reinforce disordered eating or an eating disorder.
  • Weight is often the most tangible parameter accessible to athletes, coaches and parents, but weight in and of itself says nothing about the athlete's ability to perform.
  • It is U.S. Figure Skating's position that specific dietary advice, including daily caloric intake recommendations, should be given only by a qualified professional (registered dietitian). A CSSD is an RD who has completed additional training working with athletes. When searching on scandpg.org, you can search specifically for a CSSD or for an RD specializing in eating disorders.
  • While it may be useful for coaches to discuss best practices in performance nutrition and fueling, coaches should be aware that it is at times a slippery slope and that specific recommendations of weight loss and/or caloric intake should come from a qualified professional, not a coach.
  • Athletes, coaches and parents should consider all aspects of performance, not just use weight as a metric for performance. Athletes may have a belief that they need to be a specific scale number in order to perform best. While we can acknowledge that thinness may be advantageous in a rotational sport, there is a distinct difference when discussing weight, thinness and body composition.
  • Weight loss is rarely appropriate for an athlete still going through growth and development and should be handled with extreme care and by an appropriate professional (RD).
  • It is never appropriate to weigh an athlete publicly. Athletes should NEVER be given a specific metric by a coach (examples: "I want you to lose 5 pounds; I want your thighs to be XX inches."). If a coach, parent or athlete has concerns about specific metrics, they should be referred to an RD and/or physician for consultation.
  • It is not appropriate for officials to comment on an athlete's weight, even with the best of intentions. Concerns about an athlete should be brought to their committee chair or to U.S. Figure Skating's director of sports science and medicine.
In the case of minors, all communication must go through the parent. In the case where the parent denies a problem, it can be appropriate for the coach and/or rink management to request medical documentation from the parent in order to assure the athlete can participate safely.

For further information about disordered eating and eating disorders, see U.S. Figure Skating's position paper here.*
---
Comments?

ETA - *The 14-page position paper "was authored in December 2010 (updated in August 2011) by Peter Zapalo [current USFS Director of Sports Science & Medicine] with extensive contribution by: Dr. Caroline Silby, Dr. Nanna Meyer, UCCS and USOC, Lisa Ervin, Jennifer Kirk."

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Sylvia thanks for posting that document.

It seems well-intentioned and the advice is sound, but I can see some problems in its practical application. E.g. if a coach has a very promising young skater and suspects disordered eating, and the parent is in denial, I can see some coaches not wanting to further pursue the issue with the parent, in case the parent gets annoyed and takes the skater to another coach who won't ask so many questions.

It also specifies that it's not appropriate to weigh an athlete publicly and comment on their weight - which I totally agree with - but it doesn't address the possibility of weighing being done in private. I would almost be more concerned about it being done in private, where there's no accountability. If there was a complaint about what was said privately, it's the coach's word against the skater's as to what was discussed.

Also, going to an RD for advice on healthy eating might be expensive. I don't know what those professionals charge for their services, but in a sport that is already so costly, parents and/or skaters might not be able to get that educated advice if they can't afford it.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

@Rock2
As for coaches, it's a debate in US athletics as a whole right now. Many coaches in every sport here are coaches because of their success or knowledge of the sport, not because they're actually trained to be coaches. In college football, this has led to serious injury and illness to players. I would bet that it's not only college football.
In the US we actually have college degrees and certificates like Kinesiology, Athletic Training, etc. that teach proper training methods. This includes basic evaluation for injury or illness in an athlete, nutrition for athletes, physiology, anatomy, how to condition and build up to a full training regimen safely, how to avoid injuries in athletes, how to schedule rest periods for athlete safety, how to evaluate for exhaustion, safe training conditions (working equipment, temperature, air quality, etc.), and a lot of other important things that you'd think all coaches should know before coaching someone. Now, how many skating coaches do you think actually have one of these degrees? Zero I know, and certainly very few of the top USFS coaches. Sure, USFS and rinks employ athletic trainers, but they aren't there when skaters are on the ice with their coaches.
That means that even if a coach means well or wants to help, they may not have the skill set to do everything properly. On the issue of eating disorders, without a nutrition class, they may not even know what a skater should be eating how how much they can eat to make a healthy weight so they tell their students bad information. They may not even be able to recognize when to bring in a sports nutritionist.
If we really want to fix this problem, perhaps we should require more training for our coaches. Maybe not a bachelor's degree, but at least in-person classes and competency exams/courses that aren't optional/DIY at home (and therefore easy to cheat on).
Do you think this kind of training by Coach Tom Zakrajcek is relevant? The example given below is not, but the approach and the degree itself do seem to be on the right track.
In 1996 he was invited to move to Colorado to coach at the Broadmoor World Arena. Drawn to furthering his education in response to criticism that the U.S. ought to employ more science in its training, Tom went onto to receive a Masters Degree in exercise science from the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs.

This advanced education opened his thinking as to how and when to push an athlete towards finding the champion within.

He incorporates the most important aspects of sports science to develop the skills and the spirit of champions within his skaters. This science-based knowledge provides new tools for his athletes to have quicker success in learning new skills. One example is how the body builds a myelin path from frequent repetitions to train the brain, then the nerves and finally to get difficult elements internalized within the muscles.
https://coachtomz.com/about-tom/

Willin

@Sylvia It's kinda a joke. Like I said, few coaches have the training to recognize when something is wrong, and few are with their skaters enough to even be able to evaluate their eating behavior or their feelings about eating.

Few coaches hear their skaters talking about food. You might hear a student say "I ate too much this morning" and have no idea if they ate a full restaurant portion of omelette, hashbrowns, bacon, toast, etc. (aka me saying I ate too much) or if they consider one egg white as too much. When a skater eats only an apple at the rink for their morning snack, you may not know if they are planning to have a large lunch at home, don't eat in the middle of a workout because it leads to bad stomach cramping, or if they're actually experiencing an eating disorder. You may even see a skater eating a healthy amount and have no idea that they go to the bathroom after the meal to vomit or take a lot of laxatives. You may not know that the huge bowl of watermelon your skater ate for a "meal" is actually mostly water and only totals about 200 calories.

On the other hand, when a coach is overly concerned with weight, no one reports them. USFS can't be there all the time at every rink, so they only have reports from coaches, parents, and skaters to go off of, and few among them know enough to report. Even if they know how to report, do they want to take the time, energy, and possibly risk (if the coach is influential enough) to report that coach? And how many know that USFS has a policy against it? How many think USFS will actually do anything about it? Almost always that answer is no. So USFS can't enforce that part of the policy.

Not to mention - pretty much 0 coaches read these policies. You don't have to take a quiz on them or sign something saying you read it or even given a link to where it is on the USFS website. If you really want to know their position, you have to look it up for yourself.

ETA: @Spun Silver I certainly think it's relevant. I don't know how much it involves safety (I don't know the curriculum for an exercise science master's), but it probably teaches nutrition and other basics of athletic training. He also has a full team of PTs, Athletic Trainers, and RDs at the USOC Training Center/World Arena to help him out. But Tom Z seems to be an exception among coaches.

Sylvia

TBD
It seems well-intentioned and the advice is sound, but I can see some problems in its practical application.
Agreed.

Does Skate Canada have a document addressing this topic posted on the public part of their website or in the Members Only section?

mag

Agreed.

Does Skate Canada have a document addressing this topic posted on the public part of their website or in the Members Only section?

Through the Skate Canada info centre (available to members only) there are a number on line courses specifically:

Full Course Directory:
Search courses
Ensuring Proper Nutrition During Training and Travel

withoutkey

Healthy Eating Guidelines

withoutkey

Nutrition with Émilie-Julie Dumontier- French Only

withoutkey

Hydration with Melissa Kazan

withoutkey

ETA: I don't see a specific policy in the Policy and Procedures section.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Sylvia "nutrition" is mentioned in the Long Term Athlete Development model
https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Skate-Canada-LTAD-Model-EN.pdf
although the most explicit descriptions are in the "Active for Life" and "Athletes with a Disability" section (i.e. not Olympic/elite level competitors) as being important for athletes of all ages:

Knowledge of healthy nutritional strategies. This might include considerations for caloric
intake, portion size, low alcohol, salt, fat intake, heart healthy choices, lower cholesterol
levels, regulate blood sugars, etc.

I couldn't find any policy statements more specific than that, although I may be missing where they are located.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information