Gracie Gold in treatment for eating disorder, depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
if they manage to pay skates, ice time, coaching, costumes, travel to competitions, surely they can pay a professional nutritionist, there are priorities.

Yes, there are, but when finances are so tight that parents are working multiple jobs, taking out loans or re-mortaging their home, buying other skaters' outfits to refurbish instead of having new ones made, cutting back on what they spend on their other kids' activities.....every little extra expense adds up. I hate to be blunt, but if the skater is performing well, isn't complaining, and isn't in a medical crisis, a parent may assume that the skater is doing just fine with their eating. Or assume that the coach is giving their skater the right advice, so going to a dietitian isn't necessary.

Last edited:

coppertop1

Let's get real. A woman's body has to be light and lean to be competitive. Aerodynamically it is physics. For skaters to land those jumps they can't be carrying an extra 5 lbs and trying to going it in the air for 3 rotations. It is an is. Also it is my understanding that eds are a result of needing an area of their life that they can control. Gracie hasn't looked happy on the ice in a long time. Food she could control . Ice
..not so much.

No, let's get real: These kind of comments are part of the issue. Gracie is far from heavy. People need to stop talking about a figure skater's weight then being defensive and act so innocent when called out. Think about what you're saying before making comments.

All the best to Gracie. I hope she finds happiness

Cleo1782

With some of these replies I feel like people think any eating disorder manifests itself only in being extremely thin. That is untrue. A lot of bulimics look fairly normal weight wise. And the best figure skating example I can think of is Lisa Ervin. She would starve herself for days and then binge eat and it didn't cause her to lose any weight, but to gain it because it threw her metabolism way off. I am not trying to school anyone-it just the fact the eating disorders come in many forms. Overeating is an eating disorder.

I am not saying Gracie has any of these problems we don't know. She was under no obligation to tell the public any of the info she has. Anyone who has even vaguely followed figure skating knew Gracie was struggling with more issues than just weight. To speculate and judge what type of ED she is dealing with is just plain unfair. And anyone who is judging her weight should feel bad now knowing what she is going through. Being thin isn't everything. Being healthy and happy is a lot more important.

Adam Rippon was spot on with his lovely words. Gracie Gold is a role model and a true champion. And I hope she gets well soon.

Zazy

Eating disorders don't always involve not eating enough, or having a "restrictive diet". They can also be in the form of eating way more food than is healthy, or eating mostly unhealthy foods. Don't assume that if someone looks heavier than before they don't have an eating disorder.

Yes, and people with bulimia aren't necessarily super skinny. EDs can take a variety of forms.

Each person's situation is unique, and different factors can be involved. We don't know much about Gracie's situation and frankly it's none of our business. But by going public with this (which takes a lot of guts), she could help start a conversation on the topic. And show that it's ok to prioritise your mental health over trying to compete.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
People are quick to discuss how "extra" weight can hamper a skater's ability to jump or get through a long program, but being too thin or undernourished can do the same. In fact, being underfed is probably a more common cause of failure to land planned content then we think.

I'm so relieved she's getting help. I only wish it had happened sooner. I remember being shocked at the texture of the skin around her eyes either last year or the year before. It was so 'papery,' I don't know how she was functioning, she looked so dehydrated.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
The skaters know what the real deal is: Adam just now, Joe Johnston and Jason Brown when Gracie first withdrew from the Japan Open. Respect:respec:

And folks don’t kid yourself. We’re not just talking about straight out remarks like “Gracie is fat”. Anyone who has hidden “Gracie is fat” behind the following code words:

Her face is round.
She’s wearing a baggy sweatshirt.
She’s out of shape.
It’s a sport, we need to talk “frankly” about weight.

You’re not keeping it real, you’re not just reporting “the facts”, you’re part of the problem, and keep it to yourself.

Hugs and best wishes to Gracie.:saint:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I am not going to go into Gracie's health issues or otherwise. What is going on with her is private and I wish the best for her.

And on that privacy issue - it's about damned time Frank Carroll realizes 1980 was 37 years ago, he's not "owed" an OGM, and he should shut his damned mouth and realize this is about a skater's well-being and not him.

That is all.

screech

Yeah, I think it's more something of that nature, although my gut instinct here is that she is one of the ones who "eats her feelings" rather than someone who isn't motivated enough to eat. Her big change during her decline wasn't downward...
In my case, lack of motivation/lack of appetite often leads to the foods I eat being high in carbs or are just considered 'unhealthy'. For example, I eat fries a lot. Homemade and cooked in the oven and not actually 'fried' but still tossed in oil and not 'healthy'. I often eat donuts from Tim Horton's. I will eat a whole bag of potato chips in one sitting. Nachos are fast and easy to make and include multiple food groups. Not healthy, though.

When I'm not motivated or inspired to make something to eat, the less healthy foods are often easier to get the preparation over and done with. Luckily for me, the high in salt and unhealthy foods haven't affected my size (yet). Many people would probably show weight gain from the exact same diet.

Again, I'm not saying this is representative of Gracie's eating habits, this is just how my depression has affected mine in such a way that could be viewed as an eating disorder.

bladesofgorey

So absolutely no skater is unfit or not in shape. Great. Glad to know this. What a nice world we live in.

JFC on a pogo stick.

For the hundred and fiftieth time for the idiots out there (not you personally, probably) how much somebody weighs isn't a very good measure of how fit/strong/in shape they are. It isn't a great predictor of how well they jump, or how high, or how good their technique is. BEING THIN ISN'T THE SAME AS BEING FIT

Good &*^*& lordy

mag

So absolutely no skater is unfit or not in shape. Great. Glad to know this. What a nice world we live in.

Don't be so passive aggressive. Yes, there certainly are some that are unfit, but unless you are their trainer or coach it is not your job to point it out. (And they are most likely well aware of their fitness level and seriously do not need to be told.) If you are their trainer or coach, realize that telling someone they are fat or out of shape, or shaming them for struggling, is not helpful.

Vagabond

Yes, there are, but when finances are so tight that parents are working multiple jobs, taking out loans or re-mortaging their home, buying other skaters' outfits to refurbish instead of having new ones made, cutting back on what they spend on their other kids' activities.....every little extra expense adds up. I hate to be blunt, but if the skater is performing well, isn't complaining, and isn't in a medical crisis, a parent may assume that the skater is doing just fine with their eating. Or assume that the coach is giving their skater the right advice, so going to a dietitian isn't necessary.

Don't be so passive aggressive. Yes, there certainly are some that are unfit, but unless you are their trainer or coach it is not your job to point it out.

I would say that being depressed is a medical crisis.

I would also say that it is the coach's job to tell the parents (not the media) that their daughter is depressed. (I have no idea if he realized she had an eating disorder.)

And when the coach says that the skater is depressed, I have to wonder what on earth the parents are doing paying for another coach instead of dealing with the issue at hand, particularly when one parent (1) is a physician and (2) has just lost his license.

Last edited:

Seerek

People are quick to discuss how "extra" weight can hamper a skater's ability to jump or get through a long program, but being too thin or undernourished can do the same.

Very true. One wonders also whether instances of overtraining only exacerbate the underlying issues at hand.

While most of the comparable examples in this thread have been gymnastics and ballet, let be known that women in endurance sports and tennis have also had to endure the same kind of coaching prinicples that losing weight = faster times/getting to the ball easier. Unfortunately, lots of classic case studies in these sports too.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I would say that being depressed is a medical crisis.

I would also say that it is the coach's job to tell the parents (not the media) that their daughter is depressed. (I have no idea if he realized she had an eating disorder.)

And when the coach says that the skater is depressed, I have to wonder what on earth the parents are doing paying for another coach instead of dealing with the issue at hand, particularly when tone parent (1) is a physician and (2) has just lost his license.

Since the discussion was about whether parents should or could pay for the services of a dietitian, I was referring to a medical crisis in the sense of being so poorly nourished as to end up in the hospital.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I'll be going to US Nationals in January and I was very happy to learn when the schedule came out that I'd be there in time for Junior Men and Junior Ice Dance freeskates.

The athletes I'm so excited to see are too young to drink legally. Most of them are too young to vote or serve on a jury. A number of them are too young even to get learner's permits. In the eyes of the law, they're children.

The New York Mets have a rookie first baseman whose weight and dietary habits are regularly discussed on Mets fan boards. Weight is an issue in many sports. But the Mets first baseman is 22 years old. He isn't a child.

It isn't a coincidence that the term "puberty monster" is used regularly on this board (and I would assume other boards that discuss skating or gymnastics). It's not a term used when talking about writers or physicists or, as best I can tell, baseball players. But as fans of skating, we've been watching these athletes since they were very young. I've been calling Nathan Chen, "Nathan Chen The Future Of American Figure Skating," since he was 12. The girl that just won the World Gymnastics All Around title is 16. We marvel that Mirai Nagasu, at the ripe old age of 24, has increased her technical difficulty. Aaron Judge, who will most likely win Rookie of the Year for the American League is 25. Nagasu was 14 when she won her first US Senior championship. At 14, Judge could have been playing Little League.

I love being a fan of skating. I wasn't able to give up my fandom when all the reports came out about the concussions young skaters suffer from, and most likely I won't give up my fandom when I'm confronted with my complicity in skaters' eating disorders. If I were Queen of the Universe, I might create rules that raise the ages of skaters for national and international events. The result of that rule would probably mean less technical difficulty for the skaters (we wouldn't be marveling at Nagasu or groaning about Brown if technical difficulty improved as skaters got older). Many many people would regard that as a step backwards and it might not even solve the problem. But I really can't think of any other solution for sports that require athletes to have great strength in almost childlike bodies.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Yeah, I think it's more something of that nature, although my gut instinct here is that she is one of the ones who "eats her feelings" rather than someone who isn't motivated enough to eat. Her big change during her decline wasn't downward...

There's no shame either way, of course, but I don't think Gracie is the poster child for restrictive diets in the skating world the way some want to make her out to be.

Apart from severe cases of anorexia, it's pretty common for people who are struggling with eating disorders to be at a normal/healthy weight. If you look into the DSM there's a bunch of different types of eating disorders and being underweight or overweight isn't a prerequisite for most of them. Just because someone looks good or healthy on the outside, it does NOT mean that their relationship with food or eating habits are healthy or normal by any means. And in this sense I do agree that eating disorders and unhealthy relationships with food are more prevalent among serious athletes of all types.

I wouldn't be surprised if the depression and anxiety contributed to the eating disorder because the most common medications for depression and anxiety can have weight related side effects for many people. So then you choose between taking medication and being paranoid about if it's making you gain/lose weight, or not taking medication because you're worried about weight related side effects and then wondering if you'd feel better if you took it. As someone who has personally dealt with anxiety, depression, and bulimia all at once during a tough time in my life, it can definitely be a vicious cycle. For me, the anxiety was always the biggest issue, and then when that got really bad it led to the depression and eating issues. The worst part was that no one else was really aware of what was going on until it got really bad.

I don't know if Gracie's situation is at all similar to my experience but I'm glad she is getting help. Admitting that you're struggling and need help is a good first step. Regardless of if she returns to skating or not, I hope she can find happiness and move forward from all this. Things really do get better, so much better, if you give yourself the time and support you need to deal with your issues and set up a plan for success.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
this is just how my depression has affected mine in such a way that could be viewed as an eating disorder.
No, that's not an eating disorder. There are definitions for what makes an eating disorder and not all disordered eating (which is what you are describing) rises to the level of being a full-blown eating disorder.

Vagabond

Since the discussion was about whether parents should or could pay for the services of a dietitian, I was referring to a medical crisis in the sense of being so poorly nourished as to end up in the hospital.

Eys. But the broader discussion is about a skater with two major problems, an unidentified eating disorder and depression. I don't disagree with what you wrote, but I wish that this thread wouldn't descend into being a rehash of previous threads on eating disorders, when the problem at hand is clearly more complex.

Japanfan

I can't think of any elite skaters who are unfit or not in shape. Can you name any?

Most elite skaters do several hours of both on-ice and off-ice training a day. How could they not be fit?

I remember seeing an overweight Mexican female competitor at 4CCs one year. The reason I remember this is because it was so unusual. But the girl was still very strong and fit - just larger than what is usual for female figure skaters.

Let's get real. A woman's body has to be light and lean to be competitive. Aerodynamically it is physics. For skaters to land those jumps they can't be carrying an extra 5 lbs and trying to going it in the air for 3 rotations.

But at the same time, jumping requires energy, and energy requires proper nutrition.

Last edited:

Japanfan

I hate to be blunt, but if the skater is performing well, isn't complaining, and isn't in a medical crisis, a parent may assume that the skater is doing just fine with their eating. Or assume that the coach is giving their skater the right advice, so going to a dietitian isn't necessary.

And it's pretty easy to keep going while starving, when one is in one's twenties.

But most 20 year old women who starve aren't athletes.

Again, as said in the previous post, jumping - and sports in general - require energy and energy requires nutrition.

I think if you looked at the eating habits of post-puberty female skaters who have made it to the top ranks and are strong jumpers, they probably don't starve themselves. They may have disordered eating, which is pervasive in the sport, but disordered eating is not the same thing as an eating disorder.

For example, I remember reading (on this board) that Qing Pang used to stash high carb snacks in her bag, and the Chinese Fed used to take her stash away when she performed poorly. That does sound very extreme on reflection, but I did read it, and it would not entirely surprise me, as the Chinese Fed has reportedly been quite punitive with respect to skaters' weight (don't know about the males). Perhaps it is no longer that way, but it used to be.

For example, in the book 'The Second Mark' Xue Shen said that she gained two pounds as the result of drinking two diet cokes on one of the rare occasions when her parents came to visit her at the school.

Her punishment was being made to eat in the coaches' area for two weeks where her every bit would recorded.

Last edited:

mag

I can't think of any elite skaters who are unfit or not in shape. Can you name any?

Most elite skaters do several hours of both on-ice and off-ice training a day. How could they not be fit.

I remember seeing an overweight Mexican female competitor at 4CCs one year. The reason I remember this is because it was so unusual. But the girl was still very strong and fit - just larger than what is usual for female figure skaters.

But at the same time, jumping requires energy, and energy requires proper nutrition.

So what makes you say she was "overweight?" If she was strong and fit why are we judging her size? I know from your posting history that you probably didn't mean any harm, but this is a big part of the problem.

Japanfan

So what makes you say she was "overweight?" If she was strong and fit why are we judging her size? I know from your posting history that you probably didn't mean any harm, but this is a big part of the problem.

Perhaps it would be better to just say she was a strong, large, beautiful girl. This skater would have been seen as large for young women in non-FS circles.

It's possible to be 20 pounds over one's ideal weight but still be very strong (not to
mention sexy), with a good portion of that weight being muscle. Likewise, one can be 20 pounds under one's ideal weight but completely lacking in muscle/muscle tone.

Also, I am not being critical here. I thought it was refreshing to see a female FS competitor who didn't fit the mold. And she was certainly a capable skater and enjoyable to watch.

Last edited:

worldsnice12

I really hope Gracie is in the best of hands on her road to recovery.

Of course, it is extremely regrettable the way Frank lashed out on her to the media. I do however believe he genuially cared for her but the situation got to a point he could not deal with it anymore. He only came accross as someone very frustrated (perhaps partially at himself as at the time, I believe she had not yet started to seek help)?

It can never be an easy situation neither for a top athlete, neither for their coaches and families.
I do hope Frank has somehow reached out to Gracie afterwards to explain his reaction.
They made great success together and no matter if Gracie will or cannot comeback to competetive skating, she should be very proud of her achievements.
After all this happened, I feel greatful to have enjoyed so many beautiful programs from Gracie with Firebird being the cherry on the cake.

mag

Perhaps it be better to just say she was a strong, large, beautiful girl. This skater would have been seen as large for young women in non-FS circles.

It's possible to be 20 pounds over one's ideal weight but still be very strong (not mention sexy), with a good portion of that weight being muscle. Likewise, one can be 20 pounds under one's ideal weight but completely lacking in muscle/muscle tone.

Also, I am not being critical here. I thought it was refreshing to see a female FS competitor who didn't fit the mold. And she was certainly a capable skater and enjoyable to watch.

But you see, there it is again. A comment about being "over one's ideal weight." We (you) have no way of knowing what her ideal weight was or how far over or under she is, and as mentioned a number of times in this thread, weight is not a realiable measure of fitness or ability for figure skating so why do we even talk about it? Furthermore, I don't believe I have ever heard a male figure skater described as a strong, large, beautiful boy. (I do realize that eating disorders are an issue for male figure skaters) I am simply commenting on the language.

Instead of commenting on how a skater looks, how about assessing how they skate. Do you feel a connection to the music through their program (noting that we have no way of knowing if they connect to the music, we only know if we feel the connection through them,) are they fast or slow relative to other skaters, are their spins well centered, do we find the positions esthetically pleasing, are their jump landing secure, etc. etc.

Japanfan

But you see, there it is again. A comment about being "over one's ideal weight." We (you) have no way of knowing what her ideal weight was or how far over or under she is, and as mentioned a number of times in this thread, weight is not a realiable measure of fitness or ability for figure skating so why do we even talk about it?

People do have ideal weight ranges, as determined by medical standards. I have personally found those ranges to be rather forgiving.

Furthermore, I don't believe I have ever heard a male figure skater described as a strong, large, beautiful boy. (I do realize that eating disorders are an issue for male figure skaters) I am simply commenting on the language.

I agree with you. And no, we've never a male figure skater described entirely as a "strong, large, beautiful boy" - but both "strong" and "beautiful" are commonly used for male skaters. I remember Scott Hamilton commenting on Elvis Stojko's strength during one of his Olympic performances.

The reason "large" isn't used commonly is due to the gender norms in FS, which reflect gender norms in society at large, and are largely punitive to women in particular. "Muscular" is another word that is rarely used for male skaters, but is a noted quality among female skaters. I remember Joannie Rochette commenting that she builds muscle quickly, and it appeared to be a problem for her. And in this past year Gabbie Daleman talked about having issues with her muscular build during an interview with a Canadian commentator. She said she used to be embarrassed by her biceps and consequently didn't want to show them. Fortunately, she became unable to understand that she had a beautiful body - one women "would kill for" (her words).

If I had a young daughter or niece who really liked figure skating, I'd be reluctant to encourage them to pursue the sport at elite levels precisely because of how punitive it is with respect to weight.

I'll note, however, that overweight male skaters don't entirely get off the hook. There was a time when Artur Dmitriev was very overweight and competing. The commentators used the word 'overweight', but 'fat' was clearly implied.

Though of course Dmitriev didn't have the same hang-ups that an overweight female skater would have had, due to gender stereotypes.

I think this is the skater @Japanfan is referring to. I really enjoyed her skating too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BzVSSFLP8A

Yes, that's the young woman I had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information