Gymnastics News #21 - Tumbling on to Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

This may have been the worst Worlds in the history of this sport that I doubt Montreal will be given a chance to host another event of this magnitude ever again. That said, these worlds has really highlighted just how lost this sport is. Injuries, bad organization, athletes suffering, the code turning gymnastics into who is simply left standing, lack of depth all around, no attention to form, aesthetics, and artistry, etc.

I was watching a bit of the 1992 Olympics all-around on YouTube in HD quality and my gosh the difference in just the demeanor and health of the gymnasts already made it a thousand times more watchable than what we had in Montreal. A lot of the difficulty we got here from countries that were up for medals weren’t that much greater than what they were offering in 1992 except they did it so much better in 1992 and performed with pride. Can’t perform with pride if you’re trying to not die thanks to this code(s).

BaileyCatts

So did everyone else lose the final 10 minutes of the NBCSN broadcast today? I assume it was a satellite problem? It cut off right after the last guy went on High Bar and never came back on. So who won the medals in High Bar?

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
HB Final: The guy from Croatia won the gold, Epke got the silver, and his countryman from NED won the bronze. I was watching the event on my tablet (Spectrum TV app) so I got to see all of it but my mom said her channel cut off near the end too. I don't know why my app kept working while the cable channel went out. That's so bizarre. :eek:

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
So, was the WAG Beam Event Final ugly as hell? I saw the scores on Wikipedia:yikes:

Beam had far and away the harshest judging of any apparatus this entire week. The Germans in particular had some very nice routines. Morgan's routine had a few wobbles and ran over the allotted time (thus the -0.1), but I wouldn't classify tthe event as "ugly as hell." There were only a handful of beam routines all week long that were awarded with an E score higher than 8.00.

bardtoob

Beam had far and away the harshest judging of any apparatus this entire week. The Germans in particular had some very nice routines. Morgan's routine had a few wobbles and ran over the allotted time (thus the -0.1), but I wouldn't classify tthe event as "ugly as hell." There were only a handful of beam routines all week long that were awarded with an E score higher than 8.00.

Ahhh ... Harsh but perhaps consistent judging.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I thought the judges were too lenient toward Ellie (sp?) Black on the beam. So many major mistakes! I was not impressed with the other gymnasts either and Morgan probably won because others were worse. I only watched the last two rotations, so may be I missed some good routines.

Cleo1782

I thought the judges were too lenient toward Ellie (sp?) Black on the beam. So many major mistakes! I was not impressed with the other gymnasts either and Morgan probably won because others were worse. I only watched the last two rotations, so may be I missed some good routines.

They were very lenient on Ellie on beam in the AA, but I thought they were a little low with her on floor. Overall, Morgan had the best (if not amazing) AA competition, so the results were fair, IMO.

FiveRinger

I am not going to get upset with the beam judges. They could only judge what they saw. I would have to go back and count, but it seems the medalists were the only ones to stay on. I have never seen so many falls on/off the beam in a world championship.

millyskate

The code on beam has changed, and the emphasis is now strongly on execution, and lots of new deductions. The first 6 gymnasts in the final actually stayed on the beam, although 1 had a serious wobble.

VGThuy

Maybe the FIG should make the judges be as strict for vault form and execution and floor. Maybe give real bonus points for rhythm, flow, and artistry. I don’t trust the incompetent judges to do that properly so they should hire dance experts to give those bonuses. Hey, I can dream.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Maybe the FIG should make the judges be as strict for vault form and execution and floor. Maybe give real bonus points for rhythm, flow, and artistry. I don’t trust the incompetent judges to do that properly so they should hire dance experts to give those bonuses. Hey, I can dream.
One thing they can do is give a deduction for excessive waiting before a skill. Give them 3 seconds in a corner or at the end of the beam. Anything more than that gets a deduction for "interrupted flow" similar to what happens on pommel. Geez, some of the gymnasts sat in the corner for an eternity before their last passes.

ilovepaydays

Locklear’s experience helps lift Team USA to podium.
https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=20911&prog=h

This is an embarrassing attempt by USA Gymnastics to make it better for Locklear. She helped Jade pick out leos! On hearing that she was injured and she wants "to go home and get healthy"? I am perplexed and somewhat lacking in sympathy.

Or it's pretty glaring that they didn't do something similar for Mikulak but they did do this write-up for Naddour. I also wondered how disappointed they were in Whittenburg here. He could have easily medaled on FX if he had controlled his power. Although Whittenburg did tie with Naddour in almost making the rings final and almost made the PB final as well.

I am a tad :confused: in USAGym's thinking on the world team selection (especially on the men's side). Was the point in trying to rack up medals? Or should it have really been in building up to 2020? Because I still think that they should have picked a 2nd AAer with Moldauer - like Allen Bower or Akash Modi. Leave Mikulak, Penev, or Kimble at home.

Willin

@just tuned in TBH even though it was technically a mistake it totally should've gotten him extra points. If grabbing the bar with two hands is that difficult imagine trying to complete a release with one hand and turning it into a giant! (If that becomes a variation that grabs more points I will not be opposed because it was so thrilling to watch. Then again, injuries...)

just tuned in

Yes, they definitely should have sent Modi and Biwer.

I was thinking about creating a poll -- which is Sam -- a head-case or a f-up. Like, is it nerves or overconfidence?

One of the press releases after qualifying listed event qualifiers and alternates an said something like, "Sam Mikulak also competed." I considered that a smackdown.

just tuned in

@just tuned in TBH even though it was technically a mistake it totally should've gotten him extra points. If grabbing the bar with two hands is that difficult imagine trying to complete a release with one hand and turning it into a giant! (If that becomes a variation that grabs more points I will not be opposed because it was so thrilling to watch. Then again, injuries...)

It reminded me of Chiles' wolf-kino. :)

bardtoob

So I rewatched the AA routines from 2017 Worlds, and if Ally, Simone, and Laurie were to regain their Olympic form under this new code, then they would surely be competitive. Surely their E scores would be about a half a point higher than the field, given all the bobbles and wobbles.

FiveRinger

Locklear’s experience helps lift Team USA to podium.
https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=20911&prog=h

This is an embarrassing attempt by USA Gymnastics to make it better for Locklear. She helped Jade pick out leos! On hearing that she was injured and she wants "to go home and get healthy"? I am perplexed and somewhat lacking in sympathy.
I read the article. What a bunch of crap. Locklear was the "veteran" and had the worst individual performance. And not just the worst, it was just plain bad. With her there is always an excuse. She came back too soon, she wasn't healthy. Someone (cough) took her spot. She's just too much. With the juniors coming up, I'm sure that next year we'll all be saying, "Ashton, who?"

dramagrrl

I read the article. What a bunch of crap. Locklear was the "veteran" and had the worst individual performance. And not just the worst, it was just plain bad. With her there is always an excuse. She came back too soon, she wasn't healthy. Someone (cough) took her spot. She's just too much. With the juniors coming up, I'm sure that next year we'll all be saying, "Ashton, who?"
Many people I know who are in the gymnastics world or have connections to USAG were rather baffled that Ashton made the World team at all, especially since the oft-rumoured upgrades to her bars routine never happened. I heard quite a few people saying that they felt her spot on the team was a "goodbye present", so I also wouldn't be surprised if she fell off the radar after this.

FiveRinger

Many people I know who are in the gymnastics world or have connections to USAG were rather baffled that Ashton made the World team at all, especially since the oft-rumoured upgrades to her bars routine never happened. I heard quite a few people saying that they felt her spot on the team was a "goodbye present", so I also wouldn't be surprised if she fell off the radar after this.
No big loss there. I mean, if your only contribution to the team is to help someone pick a leotard and to tell the others where to warm up.....

Cleo1782

Locklear was a disappointment, but as a competitive former figure skater I am not super up to date with the field. Who would have been a better choice in bars this year. Everyone was injured or bars weren't their specialty.

Erin

Banned Member
@Cleo1782 Other alternatives would have been to send Schennikova for bars (who probably wouldn't have finished any better) or someone like Trinity Thomas for beam and let her also compete bars. I personally don't have a huge issue with Locklear's selection - after McCusker's injury, the 4th spot was unlikely to be a medal contender anyway. It sounds like Locklear was kind of a team leader kind of role, which has some impact. The article trying to dress it up is a bit ridiculous though.

Cleo1782

@Cleo1782 Other alternatives would have been to send Schennikova for bars (who probably wouldn't have finished any better) or someone like Trinity Thomas for beam and let her also compete bars. I personally don't have a huge issue with Locklear's selection - after McCusker's injury, the 4th spot was unlikely to be a medal contender anyway. It sounds like Locklear was kind of a team leader kind of role, which has some impact. The article trying to dress it up is a bit ridiculous though.

Thanks. I couldn't think of anyone but McCusker and she was injured. All things considered at least she made event finals unlike Sam. But I definitely see this as a swan song for her.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Yeah I would have liked to see Trinity Thomas or Jordan Chiles given the opportunity to compete at worlds rather than a more injured Locklear, if she really did play a vital leadership role for the other members than I’d say her selection was appropriate, but then again there no was team competition this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information