All Thing PBS

kittyjake5

I had heard that it was cancelled too. I know there was a petition awhile back to get it
back on the air but I have not heard any updates lately. Count me in as bummed
to. Fingers crossed that they will do a special and clear up the cliff hanger.

Seerek

Apparently, there is an e-book series which will released in parts starting in the summer.
The third season story arc was already set in place before cancellation.

ITV's been known to keep a rather short leash when it comes to reviewing the durability of both dramas and comedies, but I've never seen so many cliffhangers before in a season finale that inadvertently becomes a series finale (they didn't even get past 1940 for goodness sakes).

shan

After the season finale, I looked up season 3 and found out about Home Fires' cancellation. :wuzrobbed

maureenfarone

I just loved Home Fires. Leaving it with this gigantic question mark is just cruel. I've already signed up for the e-book on Amazon. I may go back and read "Jambusters" before I start the e-books.

Cachoo

I had heard that it was cancelled too. I know there was a petition awhile back to get it
back on the air but I have not heard any updates lately. Count me in as bummed
to. Fingers crossed that they will do a special and clear up the cliff hanger.

That is awful....I was ready to follow the ladies through the entire war. Well it would be nice to end it with a Christmas special. I want some happy endings....

A.H.Black

I have a question about Grantchester. What's the deal with a Vicar not marrying a divorced woman? Was it expressly forbidden in the Church? Is it still? Was it just something society wouldn't allow?

maureenfarone

I ordered and have read the first installment of "Keep the Home Fires Burning". I thoroughly enjoyed the first installment and have pre-ordered the next 3 installments. For those that aren't interested in reading the installments, a kindle ebook will be available in October 2017 which covers the 3rd season.
I noticed when I checked recently, that a paperback edition is going to be available in October and is already available to pre-order on Amazon.

screech

The Broadway revival of "Falsettos" will be airing on PBS on "Live From Lincoln Center" on October 27.

It's not exactly an upbeat musical, but it's really well acted. It stars 2x Tony winner Christian Borle as a man who divorces his wife (Stephanie J Block) for his lover (Andrew Rannells). It takes place in the late 70s/early 80s, which were of course a scary time for gay men (a plot point). It was nominated for multiple Tony awards this year.

Seerek

I have been watching the Vietnam War documentary by Ken Burns every night. It's very interesting & has a lot of footage I haven't seen before.

I think that's the big added value of this series compared to other works on the same subject. The narrative up until yesterday's episode has gone pretty much as expected (at least for me), but the "insider" behind-the-scenes (of Lyndon Johnson for example) are quite remarkable (and of amazing restored quality too).

floridaice

I have been watching the Vietnam War documentary by Ken Burns every night. It's very interesting & has a lot of footage I haven't seen before.

My husband and I are watching too. We are both 57, so while we grew up with the war, we really didn't know too much about the lead up it and we really didn't study it in school. My Father and his Grandfather fought in WWII, so we know much more about it, this is been very eye opening. I found an old wallet of my Father's about 30 years ago, he had carried two clippings from our local newspaper for years --- my birth announcement from 1960 and my Brother's draft notice from 1968. Brother ended up getting a 4F, but he had to go to boot camp. I still have my P.O.W. bracelet and I remember seeing the Marine getting off the plane.

dinakt

The Broadway revival of "Falsettos" will be airing on PBS on "Live From Lincoln Center" on October 27.

It's not exactly an upbeat musical, but it's really well acted. It stars 2x Tony winner Christian Borle as a man who divorces his wife (Stephanie J Block) for his lover (Andrew Rannells). It takes place in the late 70s/early 80s, which were of course a scary time for gay men (a plot point). It was nominated for multiple Tony awards this year.
To add to that, it is a very smart musical, with excellent lyrics; and there's humor, as well. I used to obsess over it in college (oh so many years ago) and am very glad it finally is getting well-deserved exposure.

paskatefan

Has anyone else watched the Kennedy pre-Inaugaration gala that was aired recently on PBS? Incredible talent! :cheer2:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I just finished watching the last episode of The Vietnam War. I also grew up in the 60s-70s. Even though I couldn't look away all week, I still found it really painful to watch. All those lives lost. The clarity of the depth of the lying by the government leaders. The suffering of the POWs. By the time they showed the My Lai Massacre & Kent State in the same episode it was almost too much. What a history lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information