All Thing PBS

Artemis@BC

Another heartbreaking storyline last night. They mentioned thalidomide briefly, either last season or in the Christmas special, and I wondered if they were going to follow that up. So it will be interesting to see if it's a one-off for the show, or if there are more thalidomide babies born in Poplar over the next weeks and months.

But in happier news, it looks like Patsy and her "special friend" get to at least keep their friendship, even if they don't dare pursue their romantic relationship under the same roof as the nuns. And Trixie seems to have found a new focus, even if she's substituting one addiction for another.

A.H.Black

I've been slogging through Grantchester. It has been a slog. There is absolutely no lightness in this season at all. Everything and everyone is so damaged. I don't know if I will be watching next season if someone doesn't pull themselves together.

Allskate

I've been slogging through Grantchester. It has been a slog. There is absolutely no lightness in this season at all. Everything and everyone is so damaged. I don't know if I will be watching next season if someone doesn't pull themselves together.

Yeah. I definitely preferred the first season. You need some fun and happiness amongst all the death, abuse, betrayal, despair, and heartbreak. Plus, James Norton is such a hottie that I prefer not see him drunk and violent. I didn't like what they did with Amanda and Sidney for most of the season. It never made sense to me that Amanda would marry that guy.

But, the closing scene from Season 2 did make me curious about what they will do next season.

Artemis@BC

I agree about Grantchester. There have been a couple of good moments, particularly with Leonard's character (I just love how the actor is playing that), but overall it's been a real bummer.

And speaking of dreary ... new season of Wallander starts this Sunday. The English language version with Kenneth Branagh. It's the last season apparently. It's not my favourite series ever, especially now that I've seen the Swedish language version, but I'll watch anyway.

tamuno

The Masterpiece line-up look dull. Grantchester???

At least I knew ahead of time. Sigh and yawn! PBS has been dull lately. I suggest BBC2's 'Line of Duty' to debut in the US asap. PBS are you listening??

Artemis@BC

The Seattle PBS is starting a new-to-me series tonight called The Tunnel. As far as I can make out, it's a remake of The Bridge, only the cross-border aspect of it is the channel tunnel.

jeffisjeff

The Seattle PBS is starting a new-to-me series tonight called The Tunnel. As far as I can make out, it's a remake of The Bridge, only the cross-border aspect of it is the channel tunnel.

I watched the first episode last night. It was quite disconcerting to see Stannis Baratheon so relaxed and smiling. ;)

Cachoo

At least I knew ahead of time. Sigh and yawn! PBS has been dull lately. I suggest BBC2's 'Line of Duty' to debut in the US asap. PBS are you listening??

I wish they would trot out more of the old stuff like they did with "The Jewel in the Crown" last season. I would very much like to see Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh again in the excellent "Fortunes of War." And for more modern fare (and Italy in the summer) I want to see "Summer's Lease." It was always a favorite novel and I actually liked the series as much as the book which is rare. John Mortimer is the author.

Mortimer's "Paradise Postponed" and "Titmiss Regained" were on Masterpiece in the late 80's and early 90's. It gave us a picture of England in the years after the war and up to more contemporary times. Again I enjoyed the series as much as the books. I never liked Mortimer's Rumpole books though which is odd.

And then the gorgeous, true to the book "Brideshead Revisited" (adapted for the screen by Mortimer) was one of the best series ever produced imho. I don't think I realized until typing this post how much I love John Mortimer. Anyway PBS should unearth some of those old chestnuts.

Artemis@BC

^ ITA, especially Brideshead, definitely one of the best TV mini-series of all time. Even better than the book, IMO, and the book was pretty darned great.

I'm thinking though that PBS might not be able to play a lot of those golden oldies because Acorn has the exclusive rights to them. (I just checked their listings and they do indeed list Brideshead as one of their titles -- not sure if that's exclusive though.)

tamuno

And for more modern fare (and Italy in the summer) I want to see "Summer's Lease." It was always a favorite novel and I actually liked the series as much as the book which is rare. John Mortimer is the author.
How nice! I will look for this author. I love to read. Speaking of remakes I would like to see a remake of The Far Pavilions which more attention paid to actors who more accurately capture the characters from the book. But re-makes have not been that successful for PBS ( Upstairs/Downstairs, Poldark)

Artemis@BC

Masterpiece is repeating the penultimate season of Lewis tonight, as a lead-up to the new and final season coming sometime in the fall. :wuzrobbed

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I wish they would trot out more of the old stuff like they did with "The Jewel in the Crown" last season. I would very much like to see Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh again in the excellent "Fortunes of War." And for more modern fare (and Italy in the summer) I want to see "Summer's Lease." It was always a favorite novel and I actually liked the series as much as the book which is rare. John Mortimer is the author.

Mortimer's "Paradise Postponed" and "Titmiss Regained" were on Masterpiece in the late 80's and early 90's. It gave us a picture of England in the years after the war and up to more contemporary times. Again I enjoyed the series as much as the books. I never liked Mortimer's Rumpole books though which is odd.

And then the gorgeous, true to the book "Brideshead Revisited" (adapted for the screen by Mortimer) was one of the best series ever produced imho. I don't think I realized until typing this post how much I love John Mortimer. Anyway PBS should unearth some of those old chestnuts.
Ooh, I remember "Fortunes of War." Lovely. Another vote here for a replay.

Is there gonna be any more "Endeavour"?

Cachoo

Ooh, I remember "Fortunes of War." Lovely. Another vote here for a replay.

Is there gonna be any more "Endeavour"?

I don't know. I know we have moved on to the last season of Lewis here. I am enjoying the broadcast of "The Tunnel." I wonder if every country has their version of the original bridge series.

Artemis@BC

I don't know. I know we have moved on to the last season of Lewis here.

It's not the last season: as I mentioned up-thread it's the previous season they're repeating now, and we'll get the final season later in the year.

I am enjoying the broadcast of "The Tunnel." I wonder if every country has their version of the original bridge series.

I'm recording The Tunnel and will watch it later, perhaps after I have the whole series.

There was a Canadian film version of this idea, sort of, even before The Bridge, called Bon Cop Bad Cop. :D

vesperholly

But re-makes have not been that successful for PBS ( Upstairs/Downstairs, Poldark)
PBS doesn't create much of its own stuff, they just re-air British productions. I thought the U/D remake was fabulous and not given a fair shot. Poldark was renewed for seasons two and three; it returns Sept 4 (finally!). Nothing will be a massive hit like Downton Abbey but they are still very good shows!

tamuno

Please, please BBC, ITV, PBS, Showtime WHOEVER! Please re-make The Scarlet Pimpernel. I have searched everywhere for the Bricker and Cora version. Not on Netflix, Amazon or Acorn.

viennese

wrecked
Tonight is the premiere of the Great British Baking Show at 8 pm CT on my PBS station. I think that this is Season 6 of BBC's series, but only Season 3 here in the US.

I am so late to discover the delicious calming powers of The Great British Baking Show. I DVR'd several episodes.

The last 30 days of news (in the world, in the US, in life in general) have been horrible. I want to block it all out. I can't sleep.

It's early on a sweltering Saturday and I'm watching people bake beautiful cakes. Outdoors in a tent! The cake experts are so encouraging.

What luxury and loveliness, to bake sweet things and share them with people.

Lizziebeth

Love the baking show. It is the people on there that that I really enjoy. The food is very unfamiliar to me and I seldom see anything that I would want to eat. That doesn't matter to me - I watch anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information