What song are you listening to?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Recently I received (accidentally) a set of 4 CDs of songs from the 1970s. I thought I was ordering one CD by Crystal Gayle but she has just one song, and not even the title song. I was shocked when I saw the package contained 4 CDs.

I am enjoying many songs on the set, but only the first CD is worth listening to on my car radio. The other three have about 4-6 songs (out of about 20) each that are good, so I am just going to copy those to a separate CD.

Anyway, here is one-

All by myself - Eric Carmen

I liked the song but couldn't figure out the lyrics for years, until I read the title on the CD cover. LOL. Now it's making sense and I am enjoying the song better.

Last edited:

twinsissv

"Coming to America" by Neil Diamond. He still sounds wonderful!
Odd to hear lyrics like '...got a dream to take them there' (Dreamers) and '...in the eye of the storm' (Irma). Those words have a completely different meaning in today's news headlines. And I'm hoping for the day when this song rings true again in America and Lady Liberty will no longer have to hang her head in shame. :(

PeterG

Two country music stars passed away yesterday. Don Williams passed away from emphysema at the age of 78. Troy Gentry (of the duo Montgomery Gentry) died in a helicopter crash at the age of 50.

Williams was a CMA male vocalist award winner and won the ACM single of the year award in 1978 for Tulsa Time. He had 17 #1 country songs, including I Believe In You, Some Broken Hearts Never Mend and If Hollywood Don't Need You (Honey I Still Do).

Montgomery Gentry were ACM, CMA and American Music Award winners. They had three platinum albums, two gold and had sixteen top ten country hits.

Two picks from these artists that I recommend a listen to:

Don Williams - Mistakes

Montgomery Gentry - If You Ever Stopped Loving Me

twinsissv

Listening to a soundtrack of the old movie, 'Samson and Delilah'. The star of the film was the gorgeous Victor Mature and the composer of the gorgeous music was Victor Young. :lol:

quartz

scratching at the light
I love Samson and Delilah!
On a completely different note, I listened to Breaking Benjamin over a week ago and "Lights Out" is stuck in my head. It's all about really really violently hating on someone and is pretty screamy. I luurves it! :p

Susan1

This Is Love? - George Harrison (I don't know. Those are the words that are repeated a zillion times. I loved George and his "music", but so many of his songs repeated the same chorus or whatever so much it gets on my nerves.)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Cat's in the cradle by Harry Chapin is one of my favorites. Does anyone know the story behind this? Was the father a soldier? Journalist? Sounds like he spent a lot of time away from his family. Didn't get to see his son much.

Susan1

Cat's in the cradle by Harry Chapin is one of my favorites. Does anyone know the story behind this? Was the father a soldier? Journalist? Sounds like he spent a lot of time away from his family. Didn't get to see his son much.

I never really thought about it, but I always pictured a guy working in his office till late at night and being too tired on the weekends to play with his kid. I never though he spent time "away" from his "family" though. Then the kid grows up and goes through the same thing, except now that his father has time he doesn't.

Then I saw this - http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2796

PeterG

With my digital TV, I have a bunch of music channels in the 400's. I listen to about five channels, among them ones dedicated to the music of the 70's and another for the 80's. Just a little while this one came on:

Grand Funk Railroad - Bad Time

This is the type of song that makes me go, "wow...I havent' heard that in a long time!" And then I checked my computer to see if I had any of their music. (I don't.) But I found a library that has a greatest hits collection of theirs which I'll borrow at some point. :D

And now some of my favourite songs by artists y'all have mentioned:

Recently I received (accidentally) a set of 4 CDs of songs from the 1970s. I thought I was ordering one CD by Crystal Gayle...

Crystal Gayle - Take Me Home

This was from the movie One From The Heart, the soundtrack is all compositions of Tom Waits. I would argue that this is possibly the most beautiful song of all time.

This Is Love? - George Harrison...

What Is Love is my favourite song of George Harrison's. Here's my second favourite:

George Harrison - Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)

From Wikipedia:

The song's lyrics began as a poem written by Harry's wife, Sandra "Sandy" Gaston; the poem itself was inspired by the awkward relationship between her first husband, James Cashmore, and his father, John, a politician who served as Brooklyn Borough President. She was also inspired by a country music song she had heard on the radio. Harry also said the song was about his own relationship with his son, Josh, admitting, "Frankly, this song scares me to death."

Another good Harry Chapin song: Taxi

Hangin' In - Tanya Tucker

There's a ton of good Tanya Tucker songs to choose from, but this is a good kiss-off song that's not too harsh and just a little flirty while saying "buh-bye!":

Tanya Tucker - It's A Little Too Late

Listening to Gilbert O'Sullivan this morning.

Get Down

You pretty much covered all the Gilbert O'Sullivan choices, but Get Down deserves to be singled out in my opinion. I LOVE this song! :respec:[/quote][/quote]

Susan1

With my digital TV, I have a bunch of music channels in the 400's. I listen to about five channels, among them ones dedicated to the music of the 70's and another for the 80's.

Another good Harry Chapin song: Taxi

You pretty much covered all the Gilbert O'Sullivan choices, but Get Down deserves to be singled out in my opinion. I LOVE this song! :respec:

1. I usually have the t.v. on Classic Rock when I'm reading. And I'll flip to the 70's till a disco song comes on. Sometimes Oldies or 60s or 80's but it's too hard to "flip" songs. I like the old way they had it. You could just go up or down like radio stations. Now you pick the channel and have to wait for the banner at the bottom to go away and then hit o.k. And do the same thing each time.

2. I say this all the time when Harry Chapin comes up -
WOLD-d-d-d-d..... :) is my #1. Taxi second, Cats in the Cradle third.

3. Alone Again Naturally was in the top five of American Top 40 - the 70's this morning for this week in 1972. I forget which #. I do remember it was the #1 song on the countdown for the year on our local station. We used to listen to that every year. We were SOOOOO sick of that song by then though.

Seerek

Happy National One-Hit Wonder Day, everyone!

Listening to Gilbert O'Sullivan this morning.

In my books, among the top 5 criminally under-rated in all of the 1970s as far as singer-songwriters go. I still hold out hope for some legitimate UK revival.

Last edited:

PeterG

In my books, among the top 5 criminally under-rated in all of the 1970s as far as singer-songwriters go. I still hold out hope for some legitimate UK revival.

I was surprised to see that Gilbert O'Sullivan has been continually releasing albums since the early 70's. His last album was in 2015 and one in 2011 before that. Maybe he's now doing an album every four years like Adele. :D

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
PeterG said:
With my digital TV, I have a bunch of music channels in the 400's. I listen to about five channels, among them ones dedicated to the music of the 70's and another for the 80's. Just a little while this one came on:

Grand Funk Railroad - Bad Time

This is the type of song that makes me go, "wow...I havent' heard that in a long time!" And then I checked my computer to see if I had any of their music. (I don't.) But I found a library that has a greatest hits collection of theirs which I'll borrow at some point. :D

PeterG, you made my day with this post. One of the first albums I bought or I should say that my mom bought for me was Grand Funk: We're An American Band in 1973. I was 14 at the time. My mom actually liked a lot of music that I liked.

She didn't particularly like the inside cover picture of the band sitting in their birthday suits on bales of hay with little U.S. Flags sticking out everywhere. This album in particular was Gold, and the word "Railroad" didn't appear anywhere on the cover or sleeve. It appeared on Side 2 of the album which was the name of the first song, The Railroad. The Railroad was also my mom's favorite song on that album. It included two blue and two red stickers with the finger pointing. I still have those stickers.

I'm listening to the album now, and it sure brings back a lot of memories. (y)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Unfortunately for my brain, I have been so excited that Kaetlyn is reusing her last year's SP that I have watched it over and over. I am now stuck on Piaf. I can't get it to stop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information