Downtown Jason Brown - Let the Good Times Roll (uber thread #2)

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Honestly I like it because it makes him look more edgy. I think people who haven't seen him before will appreciate that over "normal pony-power" - this is the iPhone and Android IOS updated version of the "pony-power" and I approve. :cheer:

It's obviously his segue into chopping it all off, he's trying to ease the blow and PTSD for some of his hardcore pony-power fans.

:respec: the hair and you'll be rewarded with tons of style and beautiful spin positions. :kickass:

katmari

Roux

I don't remember how I felt about it before, but now his LP looks gorgeous. :swoon:

Just get a soft, graceful costume for it, please!

And speaking of costumes, I would love for the Hamilton vest (...undervest? The gray bit...) to be the same color as another bit of the costume. That's all.

Just #importantthings. :p

katmari

Jason has picked up a new sponsor!

Team Deloitte for Winter Games PyeongChang 2018

Meet the Team USA Olympic and Paralympic athletes sponsored by Deloitte

Leadership, drive, integrity, commitment. At Deloitte, these are values deeply embedded in what we do, how we work, and how we evolve. We share those values with Team USA athletes who strive to be the best in their sport, commit themselves to excellence, and serve as leaders on their teams and in their communities. This is why Deloitte is proud to sponsor 10 U.S. athletes on their journey to the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018.

Meet Team Deloitte

Think you know Team Deloitte?

Meet Jason Brown

The other members of Team Deloitte are: Brittany Bowe, Shani Davis, Gus Kenworthy, Hilary Knight, Mikaela Matthews, Elana Meyers Taylor, Rico Roman, Nic Taylor, Danelle Umstead

Go Jason!

Xela M

What do people think about his SP? TSL hates it, but my biggest problem is not the music, but that the choreography doesn't appear to match it. It's somehow off.

DreamSkates

Here's Jason's Glacier Falls LP, courtesy of @hiroko_0221 on twitter and snowice on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/yREhg-mZAX0

So, I'm not going to panic. But his jumps took a vacation to Bali while his LP was happening, he did attempt a 4salchow for the first time, he landed a 3axel, and Ross Miner won the event. :drama: Triumph for @Jeschke

Is he injured?? :( so many doubles that didn't necessarily seem intentional.. :shuffle: I'm ready to tear my hair out and start practicing Wicca if it's going to keep him healthy. The program is coming along beautifully, but it needs the jumps to have the maximum impact. I see a ton of potential in this program when it has the jumps. Stay healthy Jason!! :cheer2:

Yeah, lack of jumps was disappointing. Too much choreo - remove some and put more energy and attention into the technical part. I heard Jason say he wanted to still be know for his artistry - sure, but you can overdo anything to the point the meaning of the music gets lost. And he needs to land those quads or he'll be doing well to stay in the top 10. So....less choreo...more quado...please!

katmari

Jason intentially tones down the jumps early in the season while he masters the programs. Unlike some of his competitors, Jason is not reusing old programs and has had three new programs to learn (short, long, exhibition). I consider both the long and short to be works in progress.

Go back and watch an early version of Riverdance at Glacier Falls vs a more complete version at Nebelhorn vs the final version at Nationals and see how many changes were made before the program was finalized.
~~~~~
On September 24-27 the USOC is holding a media summit with Olympic hopefuls.

Info

On Monday, 9/25 some athletes have been selected to perform demos of their sport for the media. For figure skating the athletes are:

Jason Brown, singles -- "The Room Where it Happens" by Lin Manuel Miranda from Hamilton
Mirai Nagasu, singles -- "Nocturne in C Sharp Minor" by Chopin
Madison Chock & Evan Bates, ice dancing -- "Aguanile," "Che Lio," and "Vivir mi vida" by Marc Anthony

If you want to follow Jason on his adventures, Team USA has announced that Jason will be taking over the #TeamUSA Snapchat

(Thanks to several posters on the Golden Skate Forum for the media summit info)

Kultakissu

What do people think about his SP? TSL hates it, but my biggest problem is not the music, but that the choreography doesn't appear to match it. It's somehow off.

I love it, and I've hated all of his SPs since Prince. I don't know why - I don't know Hamilton, the style is not what I would normally consider my favourite - there's just something about it that speaks to me.

Water is wet, bears defecate in woods, TSL hates Jason's programmes...nothing new under the sun

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I think it highly unlikely in a Jason *cheer* thread that posters would say, oh please, Jason, do less of that eye-catching choreo that makes you so special, don't worry about that artsy stuff that makes you the unique skater you are, oh no, Jason, spend even more time on some quads so you can be like every other skater who "has" a quad .... they don't have your performance, spins, or choreo, but gosh darn it they have quads!

Because we all know medals, medals, medals rule!:biggrinbo And every word Dave Lease speaks is the gospel truth:rofl:

And if I had a nickel for every time someone said Jason will never make it to the top ten, he can't beat [insert name here] who has a quad, well I'd have a lot of nickels;)

Instead of the skater who now has me humming to tunes from a show I'd never listened to, before he skated his SP.....:)

Roux

I'm ambivalent so far, but I'm sure it can get there! I think the choreo is maybe too... one-note? It doesn't seem to take advantage of the quieter or slower moments

But I love Jason's analogy for it in his newest vlog! (Especially being a musical fan much longer than a figure skating fan :D) And the vlog as a whole I think is his best yet, too :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm ambivalent so far, but I'm sure it can get there! I think the choreo is maybe too... one-note? It doesn't seem to take advantage of the quieter or slower moments

But I love Jason's analogy for it in his newest vlog! (Especially being a musical fan much longer than a figure skating fan :D) And the vlog as a whole I think is his best yet, too :)

Thanks for linking to Jason's latest blog. He's so enthusiastic about Hamilton, he makes me a believer in his p. Plus, it's true that his programs build over the course of a season, and Jason is a great competitor.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Lin Manuel Miranda is on board with Jason skating to Hamilton! He retweeted a video taken yesterday of Jason skating part of the SP at the Media Summit demo session:

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/statu...78968922804226

Well, of course Lin, the literal human embodiment of sunshine in the theatre world, would enjoy Jason's program, since Jason is the literal human embodiment of sunshine in the skating world. :D

I noticed USFS quoted the tweet and invited Lin to be "in the rink where it happens" (in San Jose). That would be way cool, but I don't know that we could all handle that level of cute in one room.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I finally love Jason's short program and I already love his free skate, but I would gladly swap his failed quad attempt for a clean triple loop. I have it in my head that the failure in the quad is leading to the pop in the loop.

It's obvious the quad means a lot to him, but given the variety of quads the top men are turning out, I can't see that even a successful quad toe loop is going to make much difference. So defeatist as it might seem, I think Jason should say farewell to the quad attempts and make sure he lands every other jump perfectly with a strongly backloaded program.

Skate Canada showed, with both Ashley and Jason, that there are medals to be had. I'd like both of them to succeed, but I'd especially like Jason to make the Olympic team, and if slow and steady might win that race, then it's a strategy that should be explored.

topaz

Can we talk about Jason's PCS scores at Skate Canada. He's finally getting his due.

He was about 1 1/2 points behind Shoma and Patrick in the short in PCS; But he was only 1/2 point behind Shoma and .20 behind Chan in the Free.

Just fantastic.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I don't see what all the negative comments about his costume are about, either.
He has the physique to wear it well; and it complements the lines of his body as he performs the program.

I always like a person who spells complements correctly.

My problems with the costume (once I got over the shock of seeing it) were as follows:

I thought the top was a little too sparkly and the pants a little too sweatpants like. I also have trouble with that shade of blue because it makes me think of boys' pajamas.

I agree though that it did look good while Jason was skating. And I appreciate that since he's skating to non-classical orchestral music, it makes sense to have a costume that's not understated.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I don't see what all the negative comments about his costume are about, either.
He has the physique to wear it well; and it complements the lines of his body as he performs the program.

LOL.. were there negative comments about his costume? You mean the free skate?

Well..if Im honest..... when I saw it I was like..oh boy Scott Hamilton circa 1984.

It also kinda reminded me of the onesie I slept in when I was 6. LOL. #TrueStory

Not a fav of mine but his skating is to DIE FOR!!!!

Go Jason!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information