Downtown Jason Brown - Let the Good Times Roll (uber thread #2)

Sylvia

TBD

katmari

Bellanca

It's time to get out the GPS tracker for Jason again. A part of my brain remembered he has some things scheduled for July so I've compiled a list of what I know:

July 11 - Leukemia Benefit for Lucy Barrett

July 14 - Jason Bown/Tomoki Hiwatashi/Jordan Moeller Skate Milwaukee seminar "How to Work Through the tough times as a competitor"

August 12 - Featured performer at Sun Valley
Looks like Jason is busy being a great guy ... as usual! :) Thank you for the updates.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
For the first time in a long time I played Akinator.

The first "character" I had it guess was Aaron Judge. I wasn't surprised that the genie figured that one out pretty fast.

Then I played Jason Brown. It took the genie longer, but it finally asked if my character skated, and then if he had long hair. I, of course, said yes and the genie asked if it was Jason Brown. Only instead of Jason, there was a picture of Adam Rippon.

I guess all figure skaters look alike to a genie. :p

katmari

Jason's new video about his 2017/2018 Short Program (includes some choreography sessions with Rohene):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMHiZzmpiK0

Music: The Room Where It Happens (Hamilton)

Javier Munoz left a lovely comment on Jason's instagram post

javiermofficial This is AWESOME! SO EXCITED! Cheering you on with everything I've got!

Hamilton fans are as passionate as Riverdance fans and if Jason brings down the house (as we know he can), the SP has every chance of going viral. While that's not the goal -- competing at the Olympics is the ultimate prize -- if he can bring new fans into the sport along the way, that's all for the good.

Last edited:

Tavi

So, I saw Jason's new programs at Skate Milwaukee!

They are both at very early stages, but he looks great - pretty much like he hasn't missed a beat since Worlds. Because the programs were so new, there were no quads. In SP he did all triples, including a solid 3A. In FS, which was basically just finished, he (deliberately) doubled all jumps.

SP is very fast paced / non stop movement - the choreo has echoes of his Gatsby program, and the footwork looks incredibly hard. It's still early days yet, but I think the program will end up being very Broadway / show biz.

Anyone who loved last year's FS (me!) will probably also love the new one - they are clearly building on the Piano, and the new program features the same show stopping spiral, as well as the teardrop spin and an Ina Bauer. The music (orchestrated, not just piano) is lyrical and builds towards the end, so I think this program will probably be more overtly emotional than Piano.

Jumps? Don't ask me, you'll just have to wait until Glacier Falls (assuming he goes)! Seriously, I was looking at the programs overall and listening to the music, so I didn't really pay attention to which jumps he did where, and how back loaded the program was. Pathetic, I know. :shuffle:

Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to answer. :)

Tavi

@Tavi is officially the Jason Brown thread :rockstar: of the Olympic season, and I am very grateful for your thoughts and gigantic contribution. :biggrinbo

I might have a couple of questions, but I wrote this before (fully) reading your post out of gratitude. :40beers:

By the way in case you're interested, I wrote a couple of posts in his fan fest at Golden Skate starting on page 570. They kind of ramble a bit though. :)

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Your write up is excellent and I'm super excited about the LP in particular! This is exactly what I wanted for his Olympic long program stylistically. :cheer2: it sounds perfect.

Sylvia

TBD
Did you see the fancam of SP el Henry posted in us men thread? Hard to see much but you can get a glimpse. Some of that FW!
Re-posting @el henry's links (thank you!) from the U.S. Men's thread to here:
Thanks very much for sharing, @Tavi - glad you got to see Jason debut his programs in person! :)

ETA link to Nick Zaccardi's 7/13/17 article in his NBC Olympics blog: Lin-Manuel Miranda of ‘Hamilton’ approves of Jason Brown’s new [SP] music

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I know I'm going to love FS. Did you see the fancam of SP el Henry posted in us men thread? Hard to see much but you can get a glimpse. Some of that FW!

OMG no, there's video!! :kickass: so much to process at one time, I'm going to check it out now. :watch: I really am trying to stay away from FSU so I can get more done this summer:COP::bribe::bribe:, but it's freaking impossible this week! It's been Christmas in July! :cheer2:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
When I heard it was Hamilton I looked up the music, and I ended up putting it in the 'La La Land' category. :shuffle: I just didn't get it (but trusted him). This is cool!! It's got a sense of humor to the choreography and it's fun, there's a drop kick in the footwork, and it feels modern without Jason being overly-sugary sweet. I like it! Potential to be a great one, and it'll show off his personality in a great way. This is the program I was worried about, and the 3axel looks solid.

Combo in the 2nd half? :huh: I'm almost hoping he keeps that as the flip/toe and goes for the 4salchow as the opening solo quad. It's an original program that suits him. :cheer2: He's going to be okay.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting @aftershocks and @Impromptu from the U.S. Men's thread :):
Jason has actually worked with other choreographers early in his career. He also performed a very nice modern movement style lyrical program for a contestant one year in the Young Artists Showcase competition, which should still be up on Youtube. Since I can't remember the name of the contestant or the year, it's difficult to locate the clip. The music I think may have been Aaron Copeland's Appalachian Spring, or something with "Spring" in the title.
It was Garrett Kling. I loved that piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PkQ4wymy4

(Spring wasn't the title of the music, but the theme of the program).
Interestingly, Jason skated pairs with Thea Milburn for three years, but it must have been when he was very young. I can't find any results of his short-lived pairs adventure.
Here's my reply to aftershocks' pairs question:
Young Jason Brown and his partner qualified for the 2006 U.S. Junior Figure Skating Championships [Intermediate & Juvenile Nationals] in Westminster, Colorado. It held in early December 2005 right before he turned 11. He and Milburn were last in Juvenile Pairs Group 1A (QR), two spots behind 10-year-old Haven Denney & 13-year-old Brandon Frazier in 8th: http://www.usfsa.org/eventrelatedde.../events/200506/usjuniorchamps/juvpairs-1a.htm

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Here is Jason's Glacier Falls short program, thanks to @hiroko_0221 on twitter and snowice on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/KfyXJj86A3o

That footwork is awesome, the drop kick is everything. :respec: split jump on the silence of the music is perfect. Quad was > but a good attempt, overall he was pretty strong for an early season performance. He's usually not this far along and waters down the jumps more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information