U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellanca

I'll wait until I can see a more full cut of the SP, but I do appreciate that there is some new kinds of movement in the program, which I think has been a bit lacking in some of the Jason/Rohene program's the last two seasons. I still recognize the pairing, but this at least looks more fresh, which I appreciate. (Not that I don't appreciate what they have done together, but I've hoped they'd branch out, or perhaps Jason might work with a different choreographer for a change of pace.)

Jason is doing Glacier Falls later this month as well, so we should have better videos on IN after that of both programs. :)
Great post! That's kind of where I am at, too.

Willin

Listening to more of the Hamilton soundtrack, if he's only going to do one song from Hamilton, I think I would have preferred Jason do Yorktown because it's more dynamic and the footwork sequence would be even more amazing. On the other hand, both pieces play with rhythms, and I think Rohene will do a good job at pulling out the interesting rhythms in the piece once given more time.

I do have a bit of a problem using rhythms/interesting bits from tracks with vocals to guide choreography, and that is that you often can't hear the nuances of the backing track on an arena sound system so the choreography looks weird and not to the music. (I wonder if that was part of what I didn't like about the program - the video's sound quality) I see it a lot in synchro, and some in singles the last year, so hopefully there will be a good sound system at the venues this year with more and more routines using lyrics.

DDNatalia

Will they name the Skate America TBD in time for that athlete to attend Champs Camp (if not already assigned an event and invited to Camp)?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Someone corrected me on Twitter - this song apparently is Ed Sheeran's "Sing" (a new exhibition program?).

Vincent Zhou shared this clip (his short program to Cinematic Pop's cover of "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol, choreographed by Jeff Buttle): https://www.instagram.com/p/BWjWUkmlpwt/

Thanks for sharing. I love how this clip was filmed and edited by Drew Meekins in a cinematic style, with the Chasing Cars song being performed by Cinematic Orchestra. Someone in the Programs thread had said they would have liked to see Vincent Zhou perform to the original version of Chasing Cars, but I think this version works better for what they are trying to accomplish for the 'big screen' drama of a figure skating performance. Cool to see Drew and Vincent taking new program training clips to another level of creativity. I guess it's been attempted before by Ashley Wagner, AdaRipp, and Ashtakova/Rogonov (perhaps others).

And Ross Miner is looking good! I love his skating. I hope he shines this season with ever more maturity and a renewed sense of confidence. :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
I've hoped they'd branch out, or perhaps Jason might work with a different choreographer for a change of pace.

Hmmm, Jason has described on his vlog how much he'd advocated to get a program created to music from Hamilton. Kori and Rohene were very skeptical at first. But after they attended a performance of the play in Manhattan, coach and choreographer decided to adhere to Jason's wishes (but for a sp, not a fp). Then they worked on deciding which piece of music to select. Again, Jason describes this process on his vlog. The Milwaukee Open clip is an off-season, first performance debut of what they've been working on, so it's not a finished product. I like some of the interesting, quirky new moves. Let's see how it goes.

Your thought about Jason branching out to work with other choreographers has been expressed so many times, it's difficult to calculate how many. Nothing's really broke in Jason's collaboration with Rohene, but I understand to a degree the inclination of wanting to see Jason try working with another choreographer, as there might be something another choreographer could bring out to further challenge Jason's current comfort zone with Rohene. Yet, I would say that Jason probably always feels challenged by Rohene, who is very much a strict taskmaster, as we can gather from a number of Instagram clips of Rohene working not only with Jason, but with a variety of skaters. Plus Jason has challenges enough in trying to master quads consistently.

Jason has actually worked with other choreographers early in his career. He also performed a very nice modern movement style lyrical program for a contestant one year in the Young Artists Showcase competition, which should still be up on Youtube. Since I can't remember the name of the contestant or the year, it's difficult to locate the clip. The music I think may have been Aaron Copeland's Appalachian Spring, or something with "Spring" in the title. Anyway, who exactly would you like to see Jason 'branching out' to work with when he's already with one of the most sought after fs choreographers? Tom Dickson? Jeff Buttle? Shae Lynn Bourne? Pasquale Camerlengo? Who? I think there would have to be a more compelling reason for Jason to work with another choreographer, other than just "a change of pace."

I'm really excited to see the finished product of Rohene's work this season with Alexander Johnson, Scinierims, and Stellato-Dudek/Bartholomay, as well as to see the progress of Rohene's new programs for Jason over the course of the season.

Interestingly, Jason skated pairs with Thea Milburn for three years, but it must have been when he was very young. I can't find any results of his short-lived pairs adventure.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Jason has actually worked with other choreographers early in his career. He also performed a very nice modern movement style lyrical program for a contestant one year in the Young Artists Showcase competition, which should still be up on Youtube. Since I can't remember the name of the contestant or the year, it's difficult to locate the clip. The music I think may have been Aaron Copeland's Appalachian Spring, or something with "Spring" in the title.

It was Garrett Kling. I loved that piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PkQ4wymy4

(Spring wasn't the title of the music, but the theme of the program).

Marco

Grant was right. His choices for the season may have been relatively common but he always managed to bring new light to the program like the way he did to Les Mis back in 2016. Can't wait for his Music of the Night.

J

Jeschke

This Q&A with Grant Hochstein talks about his programs, goals this season, and his new kitten (includes kitty photos :cat:): http://figureskatersonline.com/news...chstein-at-the-beginning-of-his-final-season/
The cat comes with them to the rink? :rofl:

Is Zhang calling it a career, too after the next season? His words left not much room for interpretation :drama: How could I have missed that call?

I like Grants 'final' music choices and think they wil suit him perfectly!

#teamgrantoline

Last edited by a moderator:

peibeck

Simply looking
Jason has actually worked with other choreographers early in his career. He also performed a very nice modern movement style lyrical program for a contestant one year in the Young Artists Showcase competition, which should still be up on Youtube. Since I can't remember the name of the contestant or the year, it's difficult to locate the clip. The music I think may have been Aaron Copeland's Appalachian Spring, or something with "Spring" in the title. Anyway, who exactly would you like to see Jason 'branching out' to work with when he's already with one of the most sought after fs choreographers? Tom Dickson? Jeff Buttle? Shae Lynn Bourne? Pasquale Camerlengo? Who? I think there would have to be a more compelling reason for Jason to work with another choreographer, other than just "a change of pace."

I'd definitely like to see him do a piece with Tom Dickson or Chris Dean. Both are choreographers who I think could bring interesting transitions and footwork to programs and give Jason a challenge with a new style.

And it's not just about a "change of pace," it's about growing in a different way artistically, which Jason has said is such an important part of his skating. Anyway, it's not happening this season (or in the foreseeable future, that I can tell), so I'm not sweating it. :lol:

Sylvia

TBD
The cat comes with them to the rink? :rofl:
I like Grants 'final' music choices and think they wil suit him perfectly!
@Jeschke, Grant (sideways here) talks a bit more about the cat at the rink, his new programs, skating with heart, and more in this recorded Facebook Live video earlier today from his old home rink in Michigan (he competes at Skate Detroit later this week): https://www.facebook.com/usfigureskating/videos/vb.209118026341/10154843921901342/?type=2&theater

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Last edited by a moderator:

DDNatalia

Grant was right. His choices for the season may have been relatively common but he always managed to bring new light to the program like the way he did to Les Mis back in 2016. Can't wait for his Music of the Night.

Plus it's a smart strategy in another sense. For the non-skating fan uber, they may not know who he is, but the familiarity of his FS music selection WILL help him connect with the more casual fan. He DOES do a convincing job presenting so it's like starting from a higher point of engagement from the outset.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
@Jeschke, Grant (sideways here) talks a bit more about the cat at the rink, his new programs, skating with heart, and more in this recorded Facebook Live video earlier today from his old home rink in Michigan (he competes at Skate Detroit later this week): https://www.facebook.com/usfigureskating/videos/vb.209118026341/10154843921901342/?type=2&theater

I love love loved this and the print interview, I love Grant's dry sense of humor, his self-awareness (no futzing around with "will I continue to skate", his appreciation that he's skating a warhorse, and he is just going to bring it) and most of all...

I *love* the Qio Qio story and that they bring the kitten to the rink.
Total respect :respec:

Let's go, Grant!:cheer2:

maureenfarone

I love love loved this and the print interview, I love Grant's dry sense of humor, his self-awareness (no futzing around with "will I continue to skate", his appreciation that he's skating a warhorse, and he is just going to bring it) and most of all...

I *love* the Qio Qio story and that they bring the kitten to the rink.
Total respect :respec:

Let's go, Grant!:cheer2:
I'm also a fan of Grant and loved the video and interview. I'm very excited that he is competing at Skate Detroit because I'm planning on attending.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Vincent to go for 6 quads

Zhou sets ambitious goal
Skater, coaches aim for new free skate to include record-tying six quads

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/07/21/243496576

"Six quads is the very ambitious goal that would be incredible if I could execute it well," Zhou said. "I'm going to be improving all season, but I'm not going to be foolish -- I'm going to compete smart and do what I've trained so that I don't take unnecessary risks."

"I want him to build gradually and slowly so he can feel confident that he can do the program fully, including the artistic side and the passion of the program," said Tammy Gambill, another of Zhou's coaches.

Last edited:

jenny12

While I'm not a fan of the cheesy soft rock he's using, Vincent is looking great and I see an improved sensitivity to his movement. Just needs to work on his flow for some of the footwork sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information