Downtown Jason Brown - Let the Good Times Roll (uber thread #2)

GreatLakesGal

What's next for Jason after 4CC?
A move to Raf, Tom Z, Frank, Krall, or Orser?
If there is going to be a coaching change...this is it.

If Brian and Tracy were open to it--I think at least one of them would need to get some kind of certification to coach an American skater--I think going to Toronto would be Jason's smartest move at this point. The Cricket Club is probably the best all around figure skating facility in North America right now with some of the best technical coaches and choreographers in the world. And if Jason needs someone to hold his hands in the K&C, I'm sure any of the coaches there would be happy to give him whatever emotional support he needs to perform well. Someone as talented as Jason should be working with a top notch team so that he can reach his potential.

Skittl1321

I really don't see Jason leaving Kori. He is extremely loyal, not surprising with how long they have been together, it comes off as being codependent.

wickedwitch

If he continues and wants to keep Kori as a coach, then he needs to supplement her coaching. If he can't get to California on a regular basis, and given his schedule this season, I don't think he can, then he needs to find someone in Colorado.

Tavi

I think it’s unlikely he’ll leave Kori outright, but I’m sure he’s doing some soul searching right now. To be honest, the rest of his skating is really beautiful, so I’m not sure he needs a total coaching change so much as someone to really help him with the jumps. Frank did seem to be helping him with that, and he also really helped refine the quality of his movement. Both of those things seemed to slip this year.

If he does decide to include Frank in his coaching team, I don’t see why it needs to be for months at a time, as long as it’s regular. In 2016, there was a noticeable difference in the quality of jumps - and his confidence - despite the fact that his stints with Frank were relatively brief. Even with his first alternate assignments, he could spend some time working with Frank in February or March, as he did last year before Worlds. And there’s no reason why he couldn’t also work with him in the summer after SOI, as he did in 2016, and go back for a touch up in the fall, especially if he keeps his programs.

I never know how much credence to give to TSL’s information. But according to their latest recap, the unnamed insiders Jonathan spoke to at Nationals think the problem is with his technique and timing, rather than a lack of jumping talent. It sounded like Jason’s “natural” timing (not sure if just for 4T or also 3A) might not be optimal; they also mentioned his entry edge into the 3A as problematic, and that Frank had changed his arms on the 4T.

I don’t know enough to agree or disagree with anything TSL said, but if true, I can see why he’s continued to struggle with these jumps. Going forward, without the additional pressure of trying to make Olympic team, and without the additional media and promotional commitments he probably had this year, perhaps it will be easier for him to focus on making changes.

kirkbiggestfan

Frank is almost 80. I can't even imagine how he does it.
Those Colorado/California coaching arrangements for Vincent and Jason can't last in the long-term.
Kori tried to bring Restencourt as a quad expert but he did not stay there long. It is not easy to attract people there.
A Tom Z/Kori partnership would probably work but they would never let their egos aside to let it happen.

Tavi

I’m not sure what Vincent has to do with this, and not sure what you’re implying about 7K by your comments, but Vincent Restencourt left 7K to work with Tammy Gambill, and he didn’t stay there very long, either. Since Frank is still actively coaching, I can’t see why it would be a problem for Jason to work with him in the near future, if that’s what he wants to do.

kirkbiggestfan

World Arena wouldn't let Kori coach there. Whether that was Tom Z or not, I don't think the lack of partnership was Kori's ego.
She planned a move to Colorado Springs before securing a job there...I am sure there is more to the story. Maybe she was led to believe she would coach at the Broadmoor. This is a situation where the usfsa needs to step up and do what's best for Jason. Frank's help was what the doctor ordered. But how odd is it to fly Jason to Cali when there are some of the best technical coaches/choreographers a short drive away?

Mrs. P

Speaking of a short drive away, I'd love to see a Tom Dickson program for Jason. Seeing his work for Satoko Miyahara and Alexander Johnson makes this a huge wish list item!

I totally agree on the timing issue thing regarding the jumps. Basically, that is THE problem, IMO. It was odd how I could tell based on his timing of the takeoff whether he would land the jump or not in the arena. A video I filmed of his 3A from his 2014 Nationals SP popped up on my FB feed, and one thing I noticed is that he rotated the jump way faster then. I think his jumps cover more ice and have more height, but he doesn't rotate as fast, which makes the timing issue more problematic.

wickedwitch

Since Frank is still actively coaching, I can’t see why it would be a problem for Jason to work with him in the near future, if that’s what he wants to do.
If it's not a problem, then why didn't he do it this season?

Tavi

She planned a move to Colorado Springs before securing a job there...I am sure there is more to the story. Maybe she was led to believe she would coach at the Broadmoor. This is a situation where the usfsa needs to step up and do what's best for Jason. Frank's help was what the doctor ordered. But how odd is it to fly Jason to Cali when there are some of the best technical coaches/choreographers a short drive away?

If you really care, you can find Kori’s detailed description of her move and the issue with the World Arena via the 2-part interview TSL conducted with her in 2015.

I don’t think it’s odd that Jason would go to Frank, regardless of where he’s located. A coaching relationship is just that - a relationship. I don’t think he “needs” a new choreographer, but if he wanted one, I don’t think proximity is the first thing to consider.

Last edited:

katmari

I hope Jason does work with a jump coach during the off season. It would not surprise me if he goes back to Frank. We all noticed an improvement in his jumps after their last training sessions.

Thoughts I've had about different choreographers for Jason (if he decides he would like to try something new):

At the last Team Challenge Cup (which is cancelled this year), I remember Christopher Dean cheering on the skaters and I thought then that he could create an interesting program for Jason.

Also, since Jason is doing the full SOI tour this year, he'll be working closely with the show's choreographer on the group numbers. Is Jeffery Buttle still the choreographer? He could bring out different dimensions of Jason's artistry.

The Stanford Ronald McDonald House tweeted about Jason's visit after nationals:

https://twitter.com/RMHStanford/status/951643681404076032

katmari

I saw a twitter post today with a link to the Celtic Thunder facebook post about Jason's Riverdance program and I was curious to see how many views it has now. It's over 19 million in less than a year!

I was also curious about the numbers for the Hamilton Musical instagram post about Jason's program and that count is almost 500,000 in five days!

RE 4CC: While I feel for Ross and don't agree with the USFS decision in his case, his withdrawal and Grant's addition does mean we get Jason and Grant adventures in Taipei. :)

wickedwitch

He switched programs with less than three weeks between competitions? That doesn't seem smart. Hopefully, I will be proven wrong, but this season seems like one bad decision after another from Jason and his team.

I guess the "bright side" is I'm more frustrated than sad since he's already been to the Olympics.

katmari

The program content PDF is on the ISU Four Continents page and Jason is not attempting a quad. It looks like the layout will be similar to the Team Challenge Cup FS 2016 except switching around the 2nd triple axel and double axel.

Along with his skating, I'm looking forward to Jason grinning with Grant, high-fiving with Han and shoulder-shimmering with Shoma. I'm sure someone can come up with alliterations for the other guys. :lol:

Sylvia

TBD
Jason was one of 5 figure skaters (3 singles, 1 pair) featured in TeamUSA.org's "My Focus" series -- here's his video and Karen Price's article that was published before 2018 Nationals ended: https://www.teamusa.org/My-Focus-presented-by-milk-life/Athletes/Jason-Brown

Here's hoping he gives a great performance to "The Scent of Love" in his 4CC free skate later today/overnight (2:45 am Eastern time) in Taiwan! :kickass:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over from the U.S. Men's thread in GSD...

4CC BRONZE! :) 269.22 4 3 (ISU Season Best scores in FS & Total)

3 Jason BROWN USA 179.44 87.88 91.56 8.89 8.96 9.25 9.25 9.43 0.00 #19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxtt1O6S3Zo

His quick quotes to the ISU afterwards: I feel great. You know it’s been a tough year I feel like I’ve been chasing something all year. When I got assigned with this event, I (know that I) just can be me. And I want to be me, the best I can be me. Kind of embrace who I am, love who I am. I went out there, and it wasn’t trying to prove anything or trying to be someone I wasn’t. It wasn’t an easy road to get here.
(on returning to “The Scent of Love”) I love this piece of music, so it’s really exciting to go back to. My goal for next year is to skate with all my heart.
(On preparing for the Free Skating) I was just using the day in between and continue to build my confidence and my strength. And I come out and kind of look at today as a new slate.

His quick quotes to the ISU after the Short Program [89.78, 4th]:
I had so much fun on my ice tonight. I know I had a little fall out on the triple Axel. But I went forward, I did not hesitate and hold back. Something that kind of upset me in the season is that hesitation. I came here today and I was not going to hesitate. It was huge and exciting. The crowd’s energy was amazing. Oh my God I heard it (the cheering from the audience), I felt it, and I’m just so touched. It has been a blast being out (on the ice) here and being able to be in front of such an awesome crowd.
(Whether he feels tired coming here right after the National) I wouldn’t really use the word “tired.” Nationals in the U.S. was little bit a disappointment. It not always your day when you are out there and compete. (I have been) picking myself up and try to get the energy back.
(On the fans) They are just amazing. It’s my first ever in Taiwan. Amazing. I’m obviously loving it here. So many of my friends have competed here before and I’ve never had the opportunity to come. (I’m glad to have the chance) being here and just getting to understand what they talked about (Taiwan) and how much they love it. And to be here, I completely understand why.

Jason's 4CC Gala performance to "Waving through a Window" from Dear Evan Hansen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxW_5HVcwuk

Last edited:

Dr.Siouxs

Shame he couldn't do this at Nationals, now we have to sit through that drab novice w/ quads Vincent Zhou and vapid Adam, who we all know is going to mess up in Pyeongchang. :yawn:

Sylvia

TBD
Unlike some fans who seem to enjoy posting negative things about others in skaters' cheer threads, I'm glad Jason always displays classy sportsmanship... even in the face of personal disappointment (tweeted back on Jan. 7): https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/950074822469431296
"Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we'll ever do" -Brené Brown Nothing is easy about this moment, but I'm proud of my fight. So excited for Adam, Vincent, & Nathan! I'll be cheering them on like crazy this February!
:respec:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information