U.S. Ice Dance 2017/18 season news & updates

chapis

I think it should be for P/P because they are the jr. World champions, but I prefer the programs of M/C, so I hope they get it :).

Dobre

Talk about an insane decision to try to make.

Junior World gold-both
JGPF gold-both
Junior National titles-both (M&C 2, The Parsons 1)
JGP gold-M&C 5, Parsons 4
Undefeated international seasons-both
Most recent major international & national gold-The Parsons
Most recent head-to-head win-McNamara & Carpenter

Solution? I guess they'll let us know when they have it figured out.

chameleonster

I agree that both American teams skated stronger in Austria than at LPI. Amoia/Becker made mistakes at both events, but over all stronger in Austria and their scores were a few points lower. Than LPI. Their twizzles seem to be a problem element for them. I'm wondering if their performances will be enough to earn a second assignment?

Anothy and a Christina are awesome. They've really matured this season as well.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108210.htm
For now Amoia/Becker have been assigned a second event(alongside with the Greens, who compete this week).

Sylvia

TBD
Finlandia Trophy entries (yet to be confirmed on USFS' Assignments page):
Julia BIECHLER / Damian DODGE
Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER

Subs:
Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER S
Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS S
Elliana POGREBINSKY / Alex BENOIT S

ETA: If we "read between the lines" here, it would appear that Parsons/Parsons may be getting the Skate America TBA based on the fact that McNamara/Carpenter now are listed for a second Challenger. Names will appear on USFS' International Assignments page once the JGP/Challenger/Skate America selections are finalized.

Last edited:

Jun Y

ETA: If we "read between the lines" here, it would appear that Parsons/Parsons may be getting the Skate America TBA based on the fact that McNamara/Carpenter now are listed for a second Challenger. Names will appear on USFS' International Assignments page once the JGP/Challenger/Skate America selections are finalized.

That's my thought exactly when I saw the Finlandia roster.

It's fine. It's a toss-up anyway. Without the official announcement I'll refrain from congratulating anyone right now, but I'd be happy to see the Parsonses get SA.

sammyf

I'm guessing they are waiting to see if one of the two get one of the substitutes list so they can assign the other to SA and give them both two events.

Dobre

I'm guessing they are waiting to see if one of the two get one of the substitutes list so they can assign the other to SA and give them both two events.

Crossing my fingers, but it's hard to get off the sub list when three host countries have already skipped you to invite lower-ranked teams and two host countries are full with three U.S. teams.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Crossing my fingers, but it's hard to get off the sub list when three host countries have already skipped you to invite lower-ranked teams and two host countries are full with three U.S. teams.

Looking at the assignments, I suppose CoR could select M/C for a sub, since they only have two US teams currently and they picked the Parsons, so they wouldn't be afraid to. For SC, they picked Loboda/Drozd who were close in scores to the Parsons, so I don't think they'd be afraid to pick one of them (though it would be back to back for either team) and there are only two US teams. I think though they might give a sub spot to the Danish team since they train with the Gadbois school. CoC is out since they have three US teams already. NHK only has 1 US team currently. I suppose they skipped over P/P or M/C in favour of less dangerous teams (specifically Lauriault/Le Gac and Nazarova/Nikitin). IdF has two US teams currently. They picked Loboda/Drozd, so again, they probably wouldn't be afraid of P/P or M/C. You could say the skipped over M/C and P/P by picking Kaliszek/Spodyriev.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Per the U.S. Figure Skating page, the Elders have been assigned to Croatia instead of Lewis & Bye.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=84032&menu=TeamUSA

Lewis/Bye could still get JGP #6 or JGP #7. Gropman/Somerville deserve to get to be the top American team at a JGP event after JGP #1 in AUS. Glad they get this opportunity.

And what a great learning experience this could be for Elder/Elder. Yeah, they won't contend, but neither did/will some of the other young teams we're sending. You have to start somewhere, and the Elders had a good showing at Dance Chicago and earned this opportunity.

Lara111

Lewis/Bye could still get JGP #6 or JGP #7. Gropman/Somerville deserve to get to be the top American team at a JGP event after JGP #1 in AUS. Glad they get this opportunity.

And what a great learning experience this could be for Elder/Elder. Yeah, they won't contend, but neither did/will some of the other young teams we're sending. You have to start somewhere, and the Elders had a good showing at Dance Chicago and earned this opportunity.
I have nothing against sending young teams who earned it. Chicago is almost home for Elders so their scores are not surprising. They lost to other young teams this year to those who are not even considered for JGP. This is obviously a political decision. Good luck to them though.

Sylvia

TBD

And what a great learning experience this could be for Elder/Elder. Yeah, they won't contend, but neither did/will some of the other young teams we're sending.
I agree with what you wrote re. both Gropman/Somerville and the Elders. :)

All the best to the 2 junior teams skating their SD overnight/early hours of Friday (Eastern time):
Emma GUNTER / Caleb WEIN #5 and Caroline GREEN / Gordon GREEN (JGP debut) #12 of 14 teams in Riga, Latvia.

chameleonster

Greens didn't have the SD they wanted, but plenty good enough for third and they should be able to hang on to a medal tomorrow. Will be hard to move up in the free but a bronze at your first JGP is not bad at all.

Dobre

I have nothing against sending young teams who earned it. Chicago is almost home for Elders so their scores are not surprising. They lost to other young teams this year to those who are not even considered for JGP. This is obviously a political decision. Good luck to them though.

I certainly want to see Lewis & Bye in a second event. (Leaving behind a team that is easily in the battle for our #2 would only hurt the U.S., IMO). But as her grace says, they could just be moved to another event. I'm assuming at the least that Amoia & Becker lost their shot at a second one, and I believe that means a spot opened for the Elders.

I also believe they were the next team in line without an assignment. The Elders went to at least four events this summer season. They did lose to DelCamp & Gart in Texas, but they outscored them at Lake Placid (albeit in separate events). It's a tossup there. And the Elders put themselves on the line more often, going to Chesapeake and Chicago as well. They had a fall in the free at Lake Placid and slipped behind Efimova & Petrov there, but only in the free & the Elders bested E&P both at Chesapeake and pretty thoroughly in Chicago. DelCamp & Gart and Efimova & Petrov are the only two other dance teams on the ISP without an event. So it's logical that the Elders were next in line.

Yes, there are a couple teams that didn't get the mandatory ISP score who could challenge the Elders. Haines & Koszuta are one, though they lost to the Elders at Chesapeake. Cesanek & Usanov are the other. They lost to the Elders at Chesapeake in the free, but bested them in the short there and did defeat the Elders in both portions of the event at Lake Placid. H&K and C&U are right with the three lower-ranked dance teams (of those that made the ISP) and didn't go to the Texas Open event with the higher scores. But that's life. They had too many mistakes when it counted and could not be selected. And neither were signed up for Chicago. So hopefully H&K and C&U are home working and and preparing for the battle later in the season.

Lara111

I certainly want to see Lewis & Bye in a second event. (Leaving behind a team that is easily in the battle for our #2 would only hurt the U.S., IMO). But as her grace says, they could just be moved to another event. I'm assuming at the least that Amoia & Becker lost their shot at a second one, and I believe that means a spot opened for the Elders.

I also believe they were the next team in line without an assignment. The Elders went to at least four events this summer season. They did lose to DelCamp & Gart in Texas, but they outscored them at Lake Placid (albeit in separate events). It's a tossup there. And the Elders put themselves on the line more often, going to Chesapeake and Chicago as well. They had a fall in the free at Lake Placid and slipped behind Efimova & Petrov there, but only in the free & the Elders bested E&P both at Chesapeake and pretty thoroughly in Chicago. DelCamp & Gart and Efimova & Petrov are the only two other dance teams on the ISP without an event. So it's logical that the Elders were next in line.

Yes, there are a couple teams that didn't get the mandatory ISP score who could challenge the Elders. Haines & Koszuta are one, though they lost to the Elders at Chesapeake. Cesanek & Usanov are the other. They lost to the Elders at Chesapeake in the free, but bested them in the short there and did defeat the Elders in both portions of the event at Lake Placid. H&K and C&U are right with the three lower-ranked dance teams (of those that made the ISP) and didn't go to the Texas Open event with the higher scores. But that's life. They had too many mistakes when it counted and could not be selected. And neither were signed up for Chicago. So hopefully H&K and C&U are home working and and preparing for the battle later in the season.

Great summary. Thank you! All teams, including selected teams, made many mistakes at the beginning of the season. I understand that teams that were eventually selected/added to ISP were invited to these summer events specifically to allow them to make minimum scores for ISP. I think is anybody of those lower level ISP teams deserves to go it would be H/Kozuta since they are stronger skaters then the other lower teams in ISP and they were Champions last year.
As far as Lewis & Bye I agree that they are top three in US Juniors now but I do not understand why they are getting hummered at the international competitions. If the issues that they have are not addressed it does not make sense to send them again. I would rather see new young teams go to get the experience.

platniumangel

Anyone know the roster for The international in Utah this month? I see the senior event is posted, but not Junior. I wonder if some of these wild card junior teams will competing there, and if that will play in to the selection process. Or is it too late? Perhaps H/K, DG/G, E/P, C/U, E/E?

I was surprised to see how harshly Lewis and Bye were scored in Australia. Not sure it was entirely fair I would imagine they would get a second JGP. The US took a gamble on sending new team Amoia/Becker, and they made several mistakes in Austria and had underwhelming scores. Also, the other new team of Nguyen/Kolesnik (going to Belarus) just look completely mismatched to me- physically and skill wise. He is quite good. Not sure if she is just much younger than him or if there is just a big size differential. They placed low in Texas, only did fd at Chesapeake, decent in LP, well in Delaware.

Elders did well in advanced Novice last year at Bavarian Open, and were 3rd in Novice. Maybe they appear to be a safe bet?

Not sure how they're making the decisions regarding who to send where. There are many promising junior teams this year. Some have different strengths than others. I Think the top teams will be the Green siblings and Christina/Anthony.

Dobre

Avonley Nguyen is my :biggrinbo junior ice dance girl of the summer.

Brand new partnership. She skipped novices after winning silver with Gart in intermediates. Competed as a solo dancer last year at Lake Placid. But there she & Kolesnik are on the JGP list. With the two, probably three, highest summer FD scores after the established teams (C&P, L&B, the Greens, and G&S). Nguyen & Kolesnik are undoubtedly wildcards. New teams almost always are, and these two had that fall in Texas, plus took one during the warm-up at Lake Placid. But gosh it is fun to watch her perform.

chameleonster

I was surprised to see how harshly Lewis and Bye were scored in Australia. Not sure it was entirely fair I would imagine they would get a second JGP. The US took a gamble on sending new team Amoia/Becker, and they made several mistakes in Austria and had underwhelming scores. Also, the other new team of Nguyen/Kolesnik (going to Belarus) just look completely mismatched to me- physically and skill wise. He is quite good. Not sure if she is just much younger than him or if there is just a big size differential. They placed low in Texas, only did fd at Chesapeake, decent in LP, well in Delaware.

Elders did well in advanced Novice last year at Bavarian Open, and were 3rd in Novice. Maybe they appear to be a safe bet?

Not sure how they're making the decisions regarding who to send where. There are many promising junior teams this year. Some have different strengths than others. I Think the top teams will be the Green siblings and Christina/Anthony.
I think they're maybe trying to spread out experience, because while the field is still very deep with talent, its very young, new, inexperienced talent for the most part. I'd expect to see several teams being sent out to competitions like NRW Trophy. Carreira/Ponomarenko are putting up competitive scores, but they have only one more season of junior eligibility, and that's assuming they don't go senior next season.

I like Nguyen/Kolesnik, although I agree their size difference is a touch awkward. I haven't been able to find out their exact ages but I do think she's on the younger side and will likely grow to match him better, and that will help their look as a team. Otherwise they're fun performers that work well together.

Lutzlvr

Looks like there are a couple of competitions happening in the next week: Novice/Jr Challenge Skate in Salt Lake City, Challenge Cup in Philadelphia, and Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs. It could be a good preview (for us) and an opportunity for teams to get some feedback before Sectionals/Nationals

Jammers

I think they're maybe trying to spread out experience, because while the field is still very deep with talent, its very young, new, inexperienced talent for the most part. I'd expect to see several teams being sent out to competitions like NRW Trophy. Carreira/Ponomarenko are putting up competitive scores, but they have only one more season of junior eligibility, and that's assuming they don't go senior next season.

I like Nguyen/Kolesnik, although I agree their size difference is a touch awkward. I haven't been able to find out their exact ages but I do think she's on the younger side and will likely grow to match him better, and that will help their look as a team. Otherwise they're fun performers that work well together.
Carreira/Ponomarenko have more then one season of junior eligibility left . Michael Parsons and Quinn Carpenter were both 20 or older last season when they competed on the JGP and C/P are only 17/16 so they probably have at least 3 more seasons left on the JGP though if they run the table like the Parsons or M/C did the last two years they will probably move up because i don't see Igor keeping them on the JGP forever like those two teams did.

Lutzlvr

Carreira/Ponomarenko have more then one season of junior eligibility left . Michael Parsons and Quinn Carpenter were both 20 or older last season when they competed on the JGP and C/P are only 17/16 so they probably have at least 3 more seasons left on the JGP though if they run the table like the Parsons or M/C did the last two years they will probably move up because i don't see Igor keeping them on the JGP forever like those two teams did.
I think the age limit for JGP eligibility is they cannot have turned 19 by July for the girls and 21 for the guys.

chameleonster

They actually don't, the rule is that ladies can't be 19 before July 1st and men can't be 21 by the same date. Carreira/Ponomarenko are in the uncommon position where she's older than him so she will age them out, much like with Davis/White. She will be 19 in April of 2019 and they will have to go senior for the 2019-20 season.

Jun Y

JGP Belarus: Carreira/Ponomarenko, Nguyen/Kolesnik
JGP Croatia: Elder/Elder, Gropman/Somerville
JGP Poland: Green/Green (almost certain), ???
JGP Italy: ???, ???

So 3 more open spots to be decided. Since Lewis/Bye's total score in Australia is about the same as Green/Green's, I'm thinking they still may get a second event.

Lara111

Australia field was weaker then Riga. You cannot compare two different competitions I think

wickedwitch

Lewis/Bye should get a second event. They may wait until next week to see what Nguyen/Kolesnik do to assign the last spots, because I can see them skating well enough to earn a second spot as well.

Sylvia

TBD
Since Lewis/Bye's total score in Australia is about the same as Green/Green's, I'm thinking they still may get a second event.
Lewis/Bye should get a second event.
Yes, I think so too.

Congrats to Caroline & Gordon Green on winning bronze in their JGP debut! :) Their 3rd place FD (71.76): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6LotlYidIU
SD (52.82): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_gLCx0Wj2k

JGP Riga results for both U.S teams:
3 Caroline GREEN / Gordon GREEN USA 124.58 3 3
7 Emma GUNTER / Caleb WEIN USA 113.08 7 8

Gunter/Wein's FD (66.12): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMk5_4xcMmc
SD (46.96): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQZTa3suMZk
2 new ISU personal best scores in Riga (SD and total).

Lara111

Lewis/Bye should get a second event. They may wait until next week to see what Nguyen/Kolesnik do to assign the last spots, because I can see them skating well enough to earn a second spot as well.
6th place would be the best N/K can get in Minsk. We will see its sport anything can happen.
No reason to wait for N/K to decide about L/B second trip to JGP

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information