Pairs Discussion Thread 2017-18--"Two Skating as One"

antmanb

Okay... So besides Meagan&Eric, we've got these pairs doing sbs 3Lz:
- Deanna&Nate
- Miu Suzaki & Ryuichi Kihara (just did in both short and free in Asian Open)
- possibly Valentina&Ondrej plus the Austrian pair (have done in the past, haven't seen their programs this season yet)

Am I missing somebody?

Miriam Ziegler and Severin Kiefer who skate for Austria are also attempting SBS 3Lz. I don't know that they've successfully landed them in competition - he fell in the SP at Europeans: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/ec2017/ec2017_Pairs_SP_Scores.pdf

And she singled, and he stepped out in the FS there: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/ec2017/ec2017_Pairs_FS_Scores.pdf

They opted for 3T in the SP at worlds and didn't make it to the LP.

Quadjump

Amazing interview. Want to read more of this.

They still seem to be too reserved in everthing they do. I believe they need more strong will and more focus to be at the really top.

Last season's FS was definitly not the best. And their costumes were a mess. It must be hard to go on the ice with knowing your competitors have better programs. I do not understand why they did not change the costume at least after Euros. Two month of time should have been enough.

MAXSwagg

I don't get how Mozer had Volosozhar and Trankov (though I wouldn't say Mozer cultivated that talent, only managed it) and have Stolbova and Klimov, both of which had some pretty good programs (for me, Stolbova and Klimov have had the best free skates for the past two seasons by far)...yet there's Tarasova and Morozov who are so bland. Though last season was an improvement. Maybe only Robin needs to strictly work with them...or at least provide choreographic insight.

hanca

Values her privacy
Amazing interview. Want to read more of this.

They still seem to be too reserved in everthing they do. I believe they need more strong will and more focus to be at the really top.

Last season's FS was definitly not the best. And their costumes were a mess. It must be hard to go on the ice with knowing your competitors have better programs. I do not understand why they did not change the costume at least after Euros. Two month of time should have been enough.
Money? skating costumes cost quite a lot of money, and they may have felt that changing it for one competition (even if for the most important competition of the season) is wasteful. They have already changed it once before the season started.

Quadjump

Money? skating costumes cost quite a lot of money, and they may have felt that changing it for one competition (even if for the most important competition of the season) is wasteful. They have already changed it once before the season started.

Is this really the argument? There should be enough money for another costume for the Russian pair No. 1 (European Champions and GPF winners) if they want to fight for Gold. Even the first red dress looked better. The worst costume since I am a figure skating fan.

hanca

Values her privacy
Is this really the argument? There should be enough money for another costume for the Russian pair No. 1 (European Champions and GPF winners) if they want to fight for Gold. Even the first red dress looked better. The worst costume since I am a figure skating fan.
I think even European champions have to keep an eye on their budget. Even though they are funded from their federation, their resources are not unlimited. They decided to use the costume they have and spend money somewhe else. Winning a medal should not be about the costume but about their skating. Besides, they managed to win GPF and Europeans even with the costume they had, so it clearly was not the costume that prevented them to place better at worlds. The fact that she got injured and had ten stitches in her leg is more likely the reason for them skating much worse than at the Europeans, not the dress.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Yes, interesting to learn their thought process, and prep for last season. And how they are coming along for this season, even if they aren't ready to reveal too much about their new programs.

Interesting also to see that Evgenia is not a natural blonde. I wasn't aware of that previously. I respect and admire their talent, but they are not one of my favorite international pairs, and they are also far down the list of Russian teams I enjoy. Of course, that's possible to change if they are able to change and express on the ice more of who they are as people and how they actually feel about each other.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Aftershock...thank you for the C/LD link. That was beautiful.

Sure. :) That was a breakout event for C/L, where I believe they performed their throw 3-twist for the first time, and in both programs too (even after having a miscue attempt during practices).

Here's C/L's sp at Golden Spin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUxrvHzfaLw
Despite the view not being close-up, the fan-cam distance views, if unobstructed are often better than close-up broadcast views with the annoying cutting between cameras, odd camera angles, and too many close-ups on facial expressions which can be so disruptive to fully enjoying performances. For the umpteenth time, why can't network broadcasters employ a split screen view of skaters' full bodies whenever they cut to head-and-shoulder close-ups?! :duh:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Who will be the pairs breakout stars in 2017-18?

Icenetwork predicts which teams will come into their own this season

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/08/21/245716224

Those predicting are
Lynn Rutherford, Vladislav Luchianov, Philip Hersh, Jean-Christophe Berlot, Sarah S. Brannen, Wei Xiong, Nick McCarvel

International

James/Ciprès - 2
Alexandrovskaya/Windsor - 1
Della Monica/Guarise - 1
Iliushechkina/Moscovitch - 1
Moore-Towers/Marinaro - 1
Zabijako/Enbert - 1

Sylvia

TBD
Skating an open practice at the Wesley Chapel, Florida rink earlier today were visitors Duhamel/Radford (SP clip of "With or Without You" covered by April Meservy) and James/Cipres: https://www.facebook.com/floridahos...7716974095191/730959903770895/?type=3&theater

James/Cipres' music:
Make It Rain by Ed Sheeran. Not sure if it's the album recording or a different version because of the buzz from the speakers, but it probably is the original.
ETA that Duhamel tweeted they skated their short programs: https://twitter.com/mhjd_85/status/901196435168907264

Last edited:

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Pretty exciting field in Oberstdorf!

Savchenko/Massot vs Tarasova/Morozov
Cain/LeDuc (trying to get world standing points?), 2 weeks after Lombardia.

Debut of Hocke/Blommaert

Who is going to get those 4 spots for OWG?

My bets are Duskova/Bidar, Ryom/Kim with great chances

Alexandrovskaya/Windsor
Suto/Boudreau-Audet

spoiler: Ziegler/Kiefer

RoseRed

Ryom/Kim and Suto/Boudreau-Audet both competed at the Quebec Summer Championships. R/K (181.00 total) looked strong, and S/BA (140.86) didn't really. My bets are Duskova/Bidar and Ryom/Kim, probably Alexandrovskaya/Windsor, then a tossup between Ziegler/Kiefer and Suto/Boudreau-Audet.

nimi

Gotta say, watching DellaM/Guarise's free skate @ Lombardia today made me a happy pairs fan:
- matching sparkly onesies, bordering on hideous yet oddly (almost) flattering -- check!
- Matteo's silly little man bun (seems to be in vogue this season) -- check!
- perfectly synchronized falls on a sbs jump during an otherwise very solid skate -- check!
- program ends in a sbs spin that's actually in sync -- check!
- dorky kiss'n'cry moment (thanks to Matteo's birthday hat) -- check!

I mean, what more can you ask from a pairs team? GO MATTEO AND NICOLE! :cheer2:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Just an FYI for pairs fans. I'm trying to keep a list on my web site of all the interviews/articles I can find about pairs this season, both print & video. It may get difficult to keep it updated as we get deeper into this season, but I'll do my best.

Anyhow here it is: https://adivinesport.com/2017-18-pairs-press-links/.

is anyone still doing pairs tracker? with the comparison and tally of points so far?

Im thinking Cain & LeDuc aren't even top 5 of USA so far......

nimi

Kim/Kam were a pleasant surprise to me in Autumn Cl. Int! (link to their SP)
Kam is only 1.72m tall, though, so I sure hope Kim's done growing... and that they're able to get a 3Tw in the future.

Does anybody know how Kim/Kim are doing? Have they competed after Asian Open? They're the ones trying to get the Oly spot for S. Korea @ Nebelhorn, after all...

nimi

Word of mouth re: pairs Oly spots and citizenship issues heading to Nebelhorn

- from somebody who heard something on twitter: France not using the 2nd spot (probs because of Novoselov's citizenhip status/process?) so possibly 5 spots for pairs available in Nebelhorn
- from the German news thread: Bruno failed his oral German test for the 2nd time... Not good... :yikes:

ETA: the France thing tweeted by Europe On Ice, who also tell that Aljona&Bruno are the first to skate in SP!
ETA2: apparently it's the written exam that's giving Bruno trouble, not oral

Last edited:

barbarafan

Word of mouth re: pairs Oly spots and citizenship issues heading to Nebelhorn

- from somebody who heard something on twitter: France not using the 2nd spot (probs because of Novoselov's citizenhip status/process?) so possibly 5 spots for pairs available in Nebelhorn
- from the German news thread: Bruno failed his oral German test for the 2nd time... Not good... :yikes:

ETA: the France thing tweeted by Europe On Ice, who also tell that Aljona&Bruno are the first to skate in SP!

This is not good about Bruno..how long does he have to wait before he tries again? is there a limit to how many times they try?

nimi

This is not good about Bruno..how long does he have to wait before he tries again? is there a limit to how many times they try?
I just asked for more info in the German thread. I hope somebody there knows something... I tried a bit of googling and got some info from a gov website:
Language knowledge
You must have adequate knowledge of the German language. This is the case if you meet the oral and written requirements for the Zertifikat Deutsch language examination (level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages in all individual examination components). The ability to communicate in a simple, verbal manner will not suffice. The citizenship authority will determine whether or not your language knowledge is adequate.

You can prove that your German knowledge is adequate by providing the following documents:
  • (a bunch of bullet points that probably don't apply to Bruno...)
If you cannot provide any of these documents, the citizenship authority may call you for a language examination. The examination consists of a written and oral component.
...but then I hit a dead end. There were no links to what how that language exam is conducted and what rules apply etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ETA: An answer from the German thread...
The exam he has to do is most likely the "Zertifikat Deutsch" Level B1 (Intermediate).
It consists of three written parts (Reading, Writing, Listening -- usually done together) and one oral part. For each part you can get up to 100 points, from 60 points on the part is considered passed. You have to pass all four parts in order to get the certificate. You may repeat any of the four parts separately as often as needed.
That's what I know about this certificate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information