2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

Tinami Amori

Over at the Caro thread, @Ka3sha just posted her new SP (Ne me quitte pas, I don't recognize the female singer)
So far, of all SPs, Caro's is the best for me. She is as always: elegant interesting dress, and classy music and choreography (which can be made a bit more interesting). Caro needs just a bit more fluidity in her arms.. Next favorite is Honda's "Tango"..... minus "Mama Roma" arm shaking.

I hope they have seen the movie and Enbert is dressed like the woman's "soldier husband" and not an under-aged teen who is try to lay her. Otherwise it is a beautiful piece of music and their elements look good (at this stage).

VGThuy

Someone said Caro's dress has the Suzuki logo on the back and that she's sponsored by them. Is that true? I mean I know the design really does look like the Suzuki logo, but I wonder if that was the intention. If it is, then I'm not sure if that dress would be allowed at the Olympics since they have strict rules about the size of logos and such.

Tinami Amori

Someone said Caro's dress has the Suzuki logo on the back and that she's sponsored by them. Is that true? I mean I know the design really does look like the Suzuki logo, but I wonder if that was the intention. If it is, then I'm not sure if that dress would be allowed at the Olympics since they have strict rules about the size of logos and such.
Oh SI !!!!! "Con Suzuki non si pattina" :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aWPRRaZAKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tn6XoBpujI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cByJ3-84g7A

http://www.canzonipubblicita.it/2016/02/canzone-pubblicita-suzuki-carolina.html
http://www.omniauto.it/magazine/36273/suzuki-carolina-kostner

she's been doing it since 2013/2014.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNmEx8hdpc

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
:rofl: I don't remember most of the music Marie-France chooses either, and I'm a fan of most of her teams!

He can remember that they wanted to skate to Pink Floyd, but can't remember the music that they actually went with? :rofl: The whole situation is hilarious when you consider they went with Carmen in the end. :lol: it must've been a big miss, a :DLauz1: program getting scrapped is a very rare occurance.

I'm actually kind of worried about their Carmen now and hope it wasn't just thrown together in a very generic way..

Their short is a sexy tango version of Besame Mucho, that's kind of cool. Some of the violin screeching is a bit much for me and they need to emote a lot more, opening is a bit dull, but it's better than Clair de Lune IMO. It has potential once they improve the interpretation a bit, I also love the footwork sequence.

VGThuy

Vincent has changed his free skate from Romeo and Juliet to Moulin Rouge.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/08/24/250373458

:blah: I really liked the R&J program. I've never understood the Moulin Rouge love with all these skaters.

I heard some uber Hanyu fans were vandalizing Zhou's YouTube video of his Romeo and Juliet and down-voting it because they claimed he was using the same exact edits that Hanyu used. I wonder if that inspired this change.

meggonzo

Banned Member
I heard some uber Hanyu fans were vandalizing Zhou's YouTube video of his Romeo and Juliet and down-voting it because they claimed he was using the same exact edits that Hanyu used. I wonder if that inspired this change.

So in the Ice Network article, it says Zhou's R&J was from the 1996 film. And I thought Hanyu used the Nino Rota version. Um ok then ... :wall:

seabm7

So in the Ice Network article, it says Zhou's R&J was from the 1996 film. And I thought Hanyu used the Nino Rota version. Um ok then ... :wall:

Yes, Hanyu did two R&J programs, which confuses many people. It seems some people like his first R&J (the 1996 film soundtrack) intensively.

Meoima

I doubt that. Han Yan used the same music and no one attacked him. Oh and Roman from Canada also used the same music and no one cared. I think it's mostly that Zhou found the music too bombastic for his stamina right now.

VGThuy

I doubt that. Han Yan used the same music and no one attacked him. Oh and Roman from Canada also used the same music and no one cared. I think it's mostly that Zhou found the music too bombastic for his stamina right now.

Well, here is the video. 32 comments, about 1/3 mention Hanyu and/or plagiarism and 47 dislikes with 59 likes. I'm sure people can find a lot to dislike outside the Hanyu accusations, but they're there and they're vocal. Not saying they're close to the majority of Hanyu fans, but people have noticed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFXr2t00ck

seabm7

I just read some replies on this YouTube clip, well...

ETD: OK. It's posted in the above, too. I guess this is because Zhou is perceived as a competitor at Hanyu's level, while Han Yan was not when he used R&J. This is the Olympics season, so fans may be more sensitive to music choices.

Last edited:

Meoima

Well, here is the video. 32 comments, about 1/3 mention Hanyu and/or plagiarism and 47 dislikes with 59 likes. I'm sure people can find a lot to dislike outside the Hanyu accusations, but they're there and they're vocal. Not saying they're close to the majority of Hanyu fans, but people have noticed.

You seriously think skaters change their programs just because of 1/3 the amount of the total 32 comments on YouTube (which they might not read)?
If so Hanyu must have changed his programs like 765525393 times because his programs last season were disliked by many people from various sites. Like the amount of criticism against his choices of music went from "elevator music" to "cheap and unsuitable". Even many his fans hated his music choices last season. If top skaters had time and energy to change the music just because several people on YouTube want to... they might have been millionaires.

Last edited:

Meoima

I just read some replies on this YouTube clip, well...

ETD: OK. It's posted in the above, too. I guess this is because Zhou is perceived as a competitor at Hanyu's level, while Han Yan was not when he used R&J. This is the Olympics season, so fans may be more sensitive to music choices.
Roman Sadowsky used the same music cuts and no one cared. I am laughing at people whining at like 11 comments on YouTube. If this makes a top skater change their programs then each top skater might have had like at least 10 new free skate each season.

Javi got called as skating to the same type of program for the whole 5 years, did he change his style?

Medvedeva was attacked from various sites, both here and GS and YouTube for her 9/11 free skate. They even called her by various horrible words. Do you mind if I quote like a hundred of comments against Medvedeva and her 9/11 program here to you to enjoy? Did she change her program at all?

Medvedeva (as well as many other skaters) is even active on Instagram and twitter and yes she (and they) sees all kinds of comments. Do they change their programs?

Remember, top choreographers aren't cheap. If skaters have to change their programs, it means they truly think they must get some better option. I am sure Zhou isn't that scared of several comments on YouTube.

From the interview, it seems Zhou changed the music mainly because he thinks the new option suits his stamina and his skating better.

Last edited:

seabm7

Remember, top choreographers aren't cheap. If skaters have to change their programs, it means they truly think they must get some better option. I am sure Zhou isn't that scared of several comments on YouTube.

From the interview, it seems Zhou changed the music mainly because he thinks the new option suits his stamina and his skating better.

I, too, am not saying Zhou changed his program because of YouTube remarks. But I got amused about those remarks appearing at this particular time of the season. ;)

SkateFanBerlin

Javi got called as skating to the same type of program for the whole 5 years, did he change his style?
This shows up once in a while. Long programs I can remember - Chaplin, Verdi, Rossini, Guys and Dolls, Elvis. Maybe people are talking about some other Javi. The one I know is one of the most successful at expressing different styles.

Meoima

I, too, am not saying Zhou changed his program because of YouTube remarks. But I got amused about those remarks appearing at this particular time of the season. ;)
If you want some ridiculous remarks on YouTube then I will give you the most remarkable I have seen: "Why Asada has to copy everything Yuna Kim does? Even the way Kim bowed down to the audience, Asada also copied it!!"
Note that I am not fans of both of them.

If we hung up on YouTube (and twitter and Instagram) comments, we will never have a life.
Too bad many people forget that Medvedeva was scrutinized to the very low low low level thanks to her 9/11 free skate. I don't like that program btw, but we all know she kept it.

VGThuy

I see the claws are out. I was just answering your original post where you wanted to deny people were sending him negative comments related to Yuzuru. Now that they're there, you're playing a game of well everyone gets criticized. I don't know why he changed his program, but you know when your first video comes out and most of it is negative comments about the sameness of another skater, it may play into your mind even if ultimately the decision to change programs is a result of many different factors and the comments end up playing a very little if any part in that decision. It was just a passing thought, not meant to be taken so seriously, but I do find your uber defensiveness to be extremely hilarious and revealing though.

Last edited:

Meoima

I see the claws are out. I was just answering your original post where you wanted to deny people were sending him negative comments related to Yuzuru. Now that they're there, you're playing a game of well everyone gets criticized I don't know why he changed his program, but you know when your first video comes out and most of it is negative comments about the sameness of another skater, it may play into your mind even if ultimately the decision to change programs is a result of many different factors and the comments end up playing a very little if any part in that decision. It was just a passing thought, not meant to be taken so seriously, I do find your uber defensiveness to be extremely hilarious and revealing though.
Because I didn't watch Zhou's program? Like most of Yuzuru's fans. You know if the majority of Yuzuru's fans go watch it, the views might be like half a million at least. But they didn't. So yes, my comment stand still, most Yuzuru's fans care NOT about Zhou's music choice.

About negative feedback, well maybe you should read the comments below Osmond's program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46LDrq6qmD8

What irks me is that you seem to imply that Zhou changed the music because of like... 10-11 comments on YouTube. So I give you various reasons why it's not the case.

If Medvedeva changed her program last season because the American fans found it offensive... oh wait she didn't.

Btw, I am sorry for some several comments on YouTube but the reality is top athletes and their reasonable fans care not about the trash section on YouTube. Not that anyone has time for that.

Last edited:

MAXSwagg

This shows up once in a while. Long programs I can remember - Chaplin, Verdi, Rossini, Guys and Dolls, Elvis. Maybe people are talking about some other Javi. The one I know is one of the most successful at expressing different styles.

LOL Nice try. He may have used different musics but the expression and emotion he invoked is the same. The general personality of the CHARACTER he portrays is the same. Of the top men, Javier Fernandez has the least diverse programs. Even Patrick has more diversity in the programs he's portrayed.

Anyway, even if Vincent's team changed the program because of what they're reading on Youtube, that's Charlie's fault. And yes, Med fans are now Yuzu fans and vice-versa, but they don't sit around and wait to criticize others. It can't be helped if they are the current stars of figure skating, and no other skater faces the degree of pressures they do.

nimi

I was just taking a look at JGP Brisbane ice dance entries and noticed that Sasha Fear (what a fierce name she has!) & George Waddell have now their musics listed on isuresults.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

shutterbug

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
:yikes: i didn't realize Hanyu's ubers are so intense...

Yeah, you don't mess with them. :yikes: they are the most dedicated and loyal skating fans in the world, and they keep our sport alive by selling out the senior B competitions like it's the Olympics. :rockstar:Hanyu is the man, period.

if they tell Vincent to wear blue, he better wear blue. If they say jump, he needs to say how high and how many times (and where)? :puppet: :shuffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information