Canadian Ladies 2017-18 season news & updates

fsfann

Looks like 2 of her jumps are in 2nd half for the 10% bonus right? (this is hte SP I'm talking about)

pointbleu

I digress, but wanted to comment that this post stood out for me because it summarizes exactly why I don't like lyrics being allowed in skating.

I always thought that the skater's movements and program choreography were the lyrical elements of FS. IMO the presence of lyrics always seems like an unnecessary added layer of content to a program, and at times I even find it invasive.

Amen! :40beers:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ i have watched that jump sequence like 10 times now.

Will her +GOE on that match up to the +GOE on Medev with the arms over the head?

Bellanca

I was actually surprised and delighted when Kaetlyn selected Summertime for her SP. It's been so interesting to see (throughout the years) the various interpretations of those who have also used Summertime. Kaetlyn's will be no different, just unique, as the opera itself.

ETA: KO is on a roll! And, yes, her jumps are just crazy good when she is in the zone!

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Osmond's landing positions are glorious. Just perfection. If she can build up her consistency even more as the year goes on, she really has a chance at catching Medvedeva. And those transitions into and out of the jumps.. I'm always a sucker but she manages to show something unique each year. The edgework out of the loop is brilliant, for example.

With a few more outings and sureness in the choreography of the free skate, I really expect huge things.

coppertop1

I think the main question will be how Med deals with the pressure. She's a two-time world champion and will be the overwhelming favourite. If she struggles, it's a perfect opportunity for Kaetlyn.

Rock2

It's kinda funny how KO's 3T and 3S look better when done on the back end of a combination vs on their own. Go figure.

Anyway on the 3F+L+3S, interesting strategy call. My guess is that this element doesn't go into the program this year because the program wasn't designed around it. Easiest place to put it in is opening combo replacing the flip-toe but do you really gain anything in pts by repeating the 3S instead the 3T? Not really. You'd only integrate this element to gain pts if you have a plan to build elsewhere, by say not repeating either the sal or toe and turning one of your late jumping passes into a lutz combo. I don't see that happening for many reasons.

I think she has her elements locked in and is banking on more consistency and higher PCS to get her back onto the podium.

jenny12

I think the main question will be how Med deals with the pressure. She's a two-time world champion and will be the overwhelming favourite. If she struggles, it's a perfect opportunity for Kaetlyn.

I really hope Kaetlyn is consistent this season and gives Medvedeva a run for her money. I don't expect Medvedeva to struggle but it would be great if Kaetlyn emerges as a legitimate threat to her. Of course, I'm biased since I enjoy Kaetlyn's skating far more than Medvedeva, but I'm very impressed with Kaetlyn so far and I'm excited to see her just grow throughout the season.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Yeah it really would be so much easier to enjoy Osmond this season without knowing what a hypocrite the thread creator is. :D. It makes it difficult for the international crowd to be so enthusiastic about anything positive about her, especially in an Olympic year, knowing that your head fan is okay to disrespect the World champion so blatantly. Even though Medvedeva hasn't fallen ONE time in competition since you've had that up @danafan :) keep dreaming! And enjoy the "numbers and stats"

Oh crap there I go again... I just can't handle a self-righteous attitude from people who aren't able to admit when they're wrong.

[/I'm done]

I'd love to see her knock this long program out of the park, just to see... her jumps can rack up gigantic GOE when she lands them, she doesn't even need the arms over the head.

Rock2

For now Medvedeva's greatest threat is physical maturity. Like some of her predecessors, even a bit of growth or physical development will make it difficult for her to crank her jumps. Failing that, I see it as business as usual for her.

While you always skate to win, I half expect Osmond is thinking 'medal' instead of focusing too much on gold. There are a bunch of skaters for her to worry about that are currently behind her. It seems like her programs are constructed more to fend those guys off vs going hard after Med, who might need to sabotage her own chances for someone to fully catch up to her.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
While you always skate to win, I half expect Osmond is thinking 'medal' instead of focusing too much on gold.

I read somewhere (may have been in an article linked here) that she used to think "perfect" when she was competing, and when she wasn't perfect, she was really frustrated at herself even if she had done really well otherwise. So her coach persuaded her to think about "excellent" instead of "perfect" - and her programs became much more consistent and she was happier with how she did. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if thinking about 'medal' instead of 'gold' is what she's aiming for. An excellent medal :)

Marco

Osmond's landing positions are glorious. Just perfection. If she can build up her consistency even more as the year goes on, she really has a chance at catching Medvedeva. And those transitions into and out of the jumps.. I'm always a sucker but she manages to show something unique each year. The edgework out of the loop is brilliant, for example.

With a few more outings and sureness in the choreography of the free skate, I really expect huge things.

That beautiful 3loop was stuck in my head all day.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Thank you @danafan for being a man and taking that down. My respect for both you and the Canadian ladies rocket-launched from where it was before.

May we all have a fantastic Olympic season, and may all of our favorites kick some ass!!!! :40beers: go Kaetlyn and Gabby!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Rock2

That beautiful 3loop was stuck in my head all day.

KO landed only one 3F+3T in competition prior to last year (2014 worlds) and then reeled off 13 in a row during this past season. With that element firmly in her pocket you can be sure she attacked the loop over the summer such that it will no longer be a huge issue. She did it here like she was really ticked off by the trouble it had been giving her in competition.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
For now Medvedeva's greatest threat is physical maturity. Like some of her predecessors, even a bit of growth or physical development will make it difficult for her to crank her jumps. Failing that, I see it as business as usual for her.
Her body looks pretty mature already.

Seerek

To add to the list of things I never thought I'd see, is a triple flip-half loop-triple sal from Kaetlyn Osmond. That combo looks great.

https://instagram.com/p/BXlyKPRhiqd/

(and now back to the regularly scheduled fight about her short program)

Finally, someone doing a proper half loop - triple salchow combination (emphasizing the full rotation of the 1/2 loop).

It's fascinating how poor the half loops from many of the women and men really are (with some correctly applied an underrotation).

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Finally, someone doing a proper half loop - triple salchow combination (emphasizing the full rotation of the 1/2 loop).

It's fascinating how poor the half loops from many of the women and men really are (with some correctly applied an underrotation).

Yup and my girl Chartrand is one of the worst offenders and she has had the half loop downgraded before.

I wonder if Osmond might be able to do that combo in the second half where the second flip is and rework her other combos. I'd love to see her try it.

Japanfan

I really hope Kaetlyn is consistent this season and gives Medvedeva a run for her money. I don't expect Medvedeva to struggle but it would be great if Kaetlyn emerges as a legitimate threat to her.

I find it hard to believe that Kaetlyn can be as consistent as Med, but it's possible - this just might be her year to shine.

I agree that she looks mature physically and don't expect a growth spurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information