Ice Dance Technical Rules for 2016/17

morqet

rising like a phoenix
http://static.isu.org/media/311223/1998_id_technical_requirements_season_2016-17.pdf

Non touching step sequence is back! And ladies may wear trousers for the SD!

Senior SD:
-One (1) Section of Midnight Blues (Man & Lady) comprised of Steps #5-14 [So no longer the full dance]
- One (1) Partial Step Sequence in Hold:
- Pattern: approximately one half circuit of the ice surface starting immediately after original prescribed Step #14 of the Midnight Blues and finishing at approximately the same point as the original prescribed Step #5 of the Midnight Blues;
- duration: any exact number of musical measures;
- Holds: Hand-in-Hand Hold with extended arms cannot be established and partners must remain in contact at all times, even during changes of Holds and during Twizzles;​
- The Partial Step Sequence must be skated to the same Tune and Tempo as the PDE Midnight Blues. Senior and
The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Element must be constant and in accordance with the required Tempo and character of the Pattern Dance: Midnight Blues, i.e. 22 measures of 4 beats or 88 beats per minute, plus or minus 2 beats per minute.
-One short dance lift
-One set of sequential twizzles
-One (1) Not Touching Midline, Diagonal or Circular Step Sequence skated to a different rhythm than the Blues,
The Not Touching Step Sequence must be skated on one of the other rhythms: either Swing or Hip Hop.

Junior SD:
-
Two (2) Sequences of Blues, either skated one after the other or separately. Step #1 of each Sequence must be skated on a different side of the ice surface.
The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Element must be constant and in accordance with the required Tempo and character of the Pattern Dance: Blues, i.e. 22 measures of 4 beats or 88 beats per minute, plus or minus 2 beats per minute.
- One (1) Not Touching Midline, Diagonal or Circular Step Sequence skated to a different rhythm than the Blues,
The Not Touching Step Sequence must be skated on one of the other rhythms: either Swing or Hip Hop.
-One short dance lift
-One set of sequential twizzles

Other changes:

After the clock is started with the first movement, the Couple must not remain in one place for more than 10 seconds. During the program, either up to two full stops (duration must not exceed 5 seconds each) or up to one full stop (duration must not exceed 10 seconds) are permitted. Any choreography appropriate to the music selection (including a separation of no more than two arms length apart) is permitted.

For season 2016/17, if the Hip Hop is chosen by a couple as one of the rhythms for the Junior Short Dance the following exception to Rule 709 paragraph1.j) will apply:
Touching the ice with the hand(s) is permitted while skating to this rhythm; (pending decision of the 2016 ISU Congress) Note: Touching the ice with the hand(s) is allowed if choreographed to enhance the character of the Hip-Hop and does not meet the definition of the fall. [Not sure why this is only there for juniors? Is it a mistake due to a hangover from the last time juniors were allowed hip hop in the SD?]

FD: The only difference I can see is that seniors are now required to do two different choreographic elements instead of one, choosing from lift, spinning movement & twizzling movement

laviemn

It's not surprising they brought back the non touching sequence for hip hop, but it limits what the dancers can do because it eliminates any interplay between partners.

Willin

ITA @Aussie Willy

I love the compulsory patterns. I think it was a bit of a waste to have them outside of the SD/OD because no one went to see them, but they are truly what makes top teams easily noticeable in comparison to lower teams. When I watch a dance competition on TV, it's sometimes hard to tell things like speed, pattern, and intended foot placement apart between the teams. The steps I can best see and judge to set teams apart are those of the compulsory dances because EVERY team should have the same pattern, timing, and foot placement. It's much easier to tell if something's off there.

In the past it's also determined competitions because those mistakes are also easier for the judges to nitpick. For instance, my dance coach argues that D/W beat V/M leading up to and in Sochi because they were just slightly more perfect on the patterns than V/M. With the patterns it's a lot easier to defend results. Someone can argue: "That CD result was due to corruption!" (To be fair, it probably was back in the day) At the same time, though, it's easier to defend that position. If someone cries corruption because Team A finished in 3rd but "were the best," you could also go back and watch to see if Team A had errors. It's written down to what judges should care most about for each dance and what mistakes are most common.

C

casken

Welp, all the programs are going to look alike, as if we didn't already know it.

Partial step sequence right after after the compulsory sequence, then a change to a faster rhythm for the second step sequence, which for 95% of teams will be the sbs option, then ending with a lift. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I agree that the compulsory is probably on the way out. I'll bet it doesn't make it past the 2018 games. It's a shame, it's usually my favorite part of most SDs.

SkateGuard

I think Blues/Hip Hop is going to be a breath of fresh air after a year of waltzes and marches.

"Ummm, you're packed and you're stacked 'specially in the back
Brother, wanna thank your mother for a twizzle like that..."

#AllOfTheSaltAndPepaShortDances

morqet

rising like a phoenix
From what I've heard, the idea behind reducing the compulsory but having the partial in hold sequence is that it should encourage the creation of new compulsory dances based on the partial patterns the couples come up with. Theoretically I think it's a great idea because in the last 20 years the Midnight Blues is the only new pattern dance that has been created and gone on to be competed at the international level. But none of the partial step sequences last year looked like something that could feasibly become a new pattern dance. It's not going to work while skaters still have to cram everything in to the partial to get a level 4 because there's so little freedom to create something interesting beyond that.

pp55

And ladies may wear trousers for the SD!

Or even shorts!

From the ISU communication:

If it is appropriate for the rhythm chosen by the couple for the Short Dance, the following
exception to the clothing restrictions applies:

Lady may wear trousers or shorts.

Last edited:
C

casken

Expect booty shorts.

I'm sure Chock and Gilles are being measured as we speak.

From what I've heard, the idea behind reducing the compulsory but having the partial in hold sequence is that it should encourage the creation of new compulsory dances based on the partial patterns the couples come up with.

This is great in theory, but I'll be surprised if it happens. The political :argue: over one teams pattern being chosen over others would probably be too much of a bother.

VGThuy

When SDs were first announced, I thought that the only way SDs will work long term where pattern dances would still be in the equation was for the ISU to invent new pattern dances to match existing OD rhythms that do not have a compulsory counterpart.

Maybe the ISU should make an announcement that they are hoping to adapt a team's partial step to a future pattern dance. That may add even more incentive for many teams to come up with great ones (outside medals and titles).

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Originated in 1995 so over 20 years ago ;)
The original OD was done by Rahkammo and Kokko in 1995. Parts of the dance were developed as a Pattern Dance. If you compare the dance as done by R&K it has some steps from the original but then other steps were added and also the order of the original steps is different. It was ratified as a PD in 2008.

skatfan

Or even shorts!

From the ISU communication:

If it is appropriate for the rhythm chosen by the couple for the Short Dance, the following
exception to the clothing restrictions applies:

Lady may wear trousers or shorts.

As long as C/D wear something hot, I'm on board.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
This is great in theory, but I'll be surprised if it happens. The political :argue: over one teams pattern being chosen over others would probably be too much of a bother.
Seriously? That will have absolutely no bearing on whether the ISU adopt any of the patterns from the dances from the SDs.

I would love to see some new PDs. There are actually heaps of dances out there from ice and roller (I have a book of about 100 patterns), but only very few get used in competitive and test streams. In fact roller are way ahead of ice when it comes to innovation and variety in dance.

C

casken

UGH. Two of those links are private at least for me, and the other two are SYTYCD routines.

To comply with the ethical values of sports, Hip-Hop music chosen for Ice Dance competitions must not include aggressive and/or offending lyrics.

Just scrap this SD theme. It's going to be a Disney-esque nightmare.

Seriously? That will have absolutely no bearing on whether the ISU adopt any of the patterns from the dances from the SDs.

If you say so.

gkelly

Quite a few of the compulsory/pattern dances that were new in the 1970s through 90s had started out as some teams' OSPs.

There may have been some politics in the selection, along with basic suitability of the dances for use in competition and social dance. Nevertheless, some of them became standards. Ravensburger Waltz for an example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information