German article on Oksana Grishuk Coaching near Hannover

Yuri

(not responsible for the German to English Google translation!)

Ice queen from the horse tower: Olympic champion Grishuk trains talents in Hanover​

The Indian figure skating talents have had a very special trainer for a few weeks now. Oksana Grishuk, gold medalist for Russia at the Olympics in 1994 and 1998, has been teaching at the horse tower since November. An ice queen for Hanover's talents.

When a new coach starts in a sports club, it's actually nothing special. If this trainer is a two-time Olympic champion, on the other hand, yes. Oksana Grishuk, gold medalist for Russia at the 1994 Games in Lillehammer and 1998 in Nagano in ice dancing, has been teaching figure skating with the Hanover Indians since November. She is in the Guinness Book of Records as the only two-time gold winner in her discipline - a real ice queen is a trainer at the horse tower.

With her light blue glitter trousers and medium blue shoes - also decorated with shiny stones - Grishuk cannot be overlooked. “Hold, hold, hold - step,” calls the trainer - hold, hold, hold, then put your foot down. Anyone who trains at Grishuk must understand English. Four girls do their laps, trying to get the movements right. In the brief moments when Grishuk doesn't shout anything to the runners, nothing can be heard but the scraping of the runners on the ice.

Grishuk lived in the United States for more than 25 years. Her mother has lived in Germany for about the same time - not far from Hanover. “I have two homes, one in California and one in Sarstedt,” says Grishuk. In the meantime she has decided to stay in Germany. Her daughter has moved out to study and is attending Princeton University on the east coast of the USA. “In terms of distance, it makes no difference whether I live in California or Germany,” says Grishuk.

The athletes practice their steps on the ice surface. "Okay, stop," calls Grishuk, raising her hand. The figure skaters gather around the trainer. She wants to see more curves, says Grishuk and shows the movement. Ten-year-old Lina Störmer says that the movements help to understand Grishuk. If there is still a lack of communication, Grishuk and Lina can also talk in Russian. The ten-year-old suits Grishuk not only because of her glittery headband, she also speaks the trainer's mother tongue.

A coincidence leads Grishuk to the Indians

It is a coincidence that Lina is now training with Grishuk. Grishuk had been to the ice rink with friends. There she met Indians managing director Andy Gysau, expressed her interest in the coaching job and got the job. Grishuk is now teaching Monday through Thursday.

For the first half hour of the session, Grishuk's group has the hall to itself. It's raining outside, the headlights hit fog above the ice surface. Suddenly it gets dark, suddenly it gets loud. “Without my team” resounds from the loudspeakers. Grishuk calls out: "Yeah, disco". "Speed, speed, speed" - speed, speed, speed. It seems like the atmosphere carries over to Grishuk's instructions.

Grishuk has big plans. She wants to organize shows and bring figure skaters from all over Europe to Hanover. She is still looking for sponsors for this. After her active career, the 49-year-old gained experience on TV shows and ran her own skating academy in California. With that she earned the money she still lives on. So far, the remuneration of her coaching job with the Indians has been a small additional income. If it were up to Grishuk, there would soon be professional equipment at the horse tower. She imagines a hall with mirrors and a ballet bar. However, this is still nothing more than a wish.

Until the big stars appear in Hanover's ice rink, Grishuk wants to continue promoting the young talents. Lina, for example. “I've always liked the ice cream,” says Lina. "I'm sure I'll learn something."

Grishuk likes promoting the young athletes. “I love to see the children happy and proud,” she says. The new trainer had to accept a setback, the Christmas show was canceled due to Corona. But Grishuk doesn’t want to let something like that get him down. “We're not giving up hope,” she says.

Hedwig

Antique member
And she is a really good coach for us ♥️

I have been learning lots from her in these last few weeks. (I am an adult skater not one of the kids mentioned in the article).

But it will be hard - the Hannover rink is an ice hockey rink and they are not really that interested in figure skating so far. We will see where it leads....

Stefanie

Thanks for providing the translation to the article. Good for her!

Also, I think either the Guinness Book of Records need to be updated with Tessa's name or maybe it was supposed to say Oksana was the first two-time gold medal winner in her discipline (but with a different partner).

Nonetheless, I love that you have been able to take lessons from her, @Hedwig !!!

VGThuy

Thanks for providing the translation to the article. Good for her!

Also, I think either the Guinness Book of Records need to be updated with Tessa's name or maybe it was supposed to say Oksana was the first two-time gold medal winner in her discipline (but with a different partner).

Nonetheless, I love that you have been able to take lessons from her, @Hedwig !!!
Different partner? :confused: Either way, that quote in the article is wrong because she didn't win her two golds alone...Evgeny Platov was right there next two her with his own gold medals.

Stefanie

Different partner? :confused: Either way, that quote in the article is wrong because she didn't win her two golds alone...Evgeny Platov was right there next two her with his own gold medals.
Thanks for the correction.

Hedwig

Antique member
She is absolutely tiffed and fit for sure.

And I am most blown away by how genuinely friendly and enthusiastic she is with all of us. I mean I am not even a middle level skater and neither is anyone else in Hannover. We are all deeply in love with skating. I happily get up at 5 to get an hour of ice time. In summer everything is closed and we sometimes drive several hours just to get ice just once a month. Our conditions here really suck (like I said we are an ice hockey town) - so we all who still skate really love to skate but we never had a lot of ice time and no coaches. I learned most from youtube which is not really that helpful if no one ever corrects you.

So you can imagine what she is working with! Not much!

But she is always cheering and supporting and correcting- she must be totally exhausted after our lessons. And it is very motivating and fun. I am already so much faster in a lot of the moves than before and can do things semi well that I never was able to do before. 😍😍😍

I❤️Marina&Sergai

Yuri

I had no idea her daughter was such a talented player.
Princeton traditionally has the strongest sports teams in the Ivy League, the premier American academic conference. The Princeton women have an ITA women's preseason rank of #23 in the United States and thus are favored to win another Ivy League title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information