Ice Dance Technical Rules for 2016/17

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Generally, they wait until the creators of the pattern are no longer competing before their dance becomes a new compulsory. Not sure if it's on purpose but the whole process does take a while so it's unlikely a new dance would be created and approved in less than one Olympic cycle.

Dobre

If my memory is correct--probably not--the Silver Samba was created as an original compulsory dance in 1996, without the need for an OSP or OD. (Also 20 years ago). Having a model pattern is likely helpful but not a prerequisite.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
If my memory is correct--probably not--the Silver Samba was created as an original compulsory dance in 1996, without the need for an OSP or OD. (Also 20 years ago). Having a model pattern is likely helpful but not a prerequisite.
Who would have thought - it was created in 1963

https://info.skatecanada.ca/hc/en-ca/articles/202696220-Gold-Dance-Patterns-3677-Silver-Samba

But it came into ISU I think in the 90s. I have the video at home of when they introduced 4 new CDs, including Golden Waltz, Austrian Waltz, Silver Samba and Cha Cha Congelada. I think it was around 1992. Will need to check.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Here is the ISU written description of Hip Hop with Youtube links basically giving the dancers an idea of what they're looking for:

http://static.isu.org/media/104308/hip-hop-2c.pdf

Quite a history; imagine it being read out loud in a proper British accent! "Hip Hop was created by African Americans..." (duh!) and is associated with "rap" and "jazz funk"...which are further defined. Imagine the creative possibilities next season! I'm looking forward to seeing the various interpretations, hopefully nothing as embarrassing as the infamous "Russian aboriginals." :watch:

Last edited:

nuge

UGH. Two of those links are private at least for me, and the other two are SYTYCD routines.

Just scrap this SD theme. It's going to be a Disney-esque nightmare.

It's getting a bit messy.Scrap the SD and bring back the OD:p

Dobre

OMG if their references are SYTYCD, I will die :(

I would prepare myself then. SYTYCD has already been the inspiration for several ice dance programs, I think. At least one exhibition, but also a few competitive free dances. Some very well received. Of course, it's possible both SYTYCD and the ice dance choreographers shared the same original inspiration; but with SYTYCD's broad range and reach, I don't think it's a surprise that similar themes, music, and movement are appearing in the ice dance world.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
The ballroom choreographer Jean Marc who was on SYTYCD worked with Tessa and Scott. It is natural to get choreographers cross over from one field to another.

Willin

I think several SYTYCD choreographers/competitors have worked with skaters. One that comes to mind is Benji Schwimmer working with Jeremy Abbott.

Nmsis

I don't get what's so wrong with those two SYTYCD videos...?
I won't speak for MarieM but for me, this is wrong if this is the orientation the ISU wants.
It's entertainment.
Fine.
But there are other options.
Some being closer to the original meaning of hip hop or truer to hip hop development beyond street culture.

Willin

@Nmsis That makes a lot of sense. I was confused as to why people were complaining about the SYTYCD videos, but your reasoning makes sense. I would much rather see regular, intense, gritty hip hop than is displayed in those two videos.

Also, another note on the whole ISU specifically mentioning no bad language thing - I get synchro tends to use more pop music and such, but they don't seem to care about it in that discipline. Just today and yesterday that I can remember there was Uptown Funk a song that includes a few bad words and a reference to cocaine (D*** went uncensored) and Emergency by Icona Pop (A** and B**** uncensored). And since when have they cared about bad lyrics considering some of the songs they've let play in the stands during ice cuts...

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Hip hop often features a lot of use of the n-word though. I respect an artist's right to express themselves as they see fit, but I turn the station if there is too much of it because I find that word deeply offensive. It's more than just "bad" language for me.

VGThuy

I think the vast majority do not use that word, and teams, who speak English and understand that word, are smart enough to not use a song or a section of a song that has that word. It would be easy to find since most of it wouldn't have that word. I also don't think the ISU is looking for teams to utilize some of the more gritty Southern rap or styles like that when they introduce hip hop to ice dance.

Jayar

I think that hip hop is going to be a colossal failure. It's very much an into the ground kind of dance, and skating is completely the opposite. Plus this isn't something that ballroom bodies pick up quickly. There will be exceptions, but I see myself cackling at the ridiculousness that will be presented from the stands.

caitie

My prediction for hip hop: Everyone will do the blues pattern and partial, the beat drops, stop for a ten second hip hop dance break, go into the no touching step sequence with hip hop "moves" from the waist up, and we're done. (Lift and twizzles fit in at a team's discretion.)

Willin

@MacMadame @VIETgrlTerifa
I don't think teams will pick things with excessive swearing or any truly offensive words, but I am not entirely convinced that the ISU will be careful of policing the use of occasional colorful language here and there. That's why I find it funny - no matter how hard they try (and with synchro they haven't tried all that hard), a few swears will slip through.

Admittedly, the language barrier is what I'm most concerned about team-wise. I don't think anyone will intentionally have a bad word in their music, but I know there's many cultural differences in what counts as a swear and translation difficulties particularly with slang. Music editors forgetting to put in the radio edit of the song or silence the bad words might also happen. I'm willing to bet we'll see a minimum of one slip through. Maybe not the N-word, but maybe D***?

jiejie

I think that the majority of the elite senior teams are going to choose the alternative, the swing option, rather than deal with hip-hop.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
http://static.isu.org/media/320383/2003-id_requirementsfortechnicalrules_2016-17.pdf

Updated technical rules. The main change I can see is that for a level 4 spin, an entry or exit feature is required - woolly definition as it is for the lifts, but it's either entry without clear preparation or exit immediately followed by intricate steps or movements. For example, the exit feature for lifts last season, an ina bauer was allowed as the intricate movement.

There's also an additional option for Group C twizzle variations; creative/difficult/unexpected entry. Again, no examples given for what would qualify for this, but a dance jump entry into the first set of twizzles is already specified as a separate Group C variation.

VGThuy

I sort of wish there was a way for them to incorporate what they want (the high number of required difficult turns, the 3 changes of hold and them being different holds, multidirectional skating, etc.), which are all important and show mastery, throughout the whole dance while allowing teams to be a bit more free to dance with the step sequences. I know the challenge is to have teams achieve level 4 while still being able to make the choreography distinctive and dancey but a lot of teams had to change their sequences last season to get level 4. This past season, it seems a lot of teams took out a lot of the original choreography that fit the music but also seemed to incorporate more movement in order to simplify the movements so the callers can see without question they did hit the correct edges and hit all the bullet points to get level 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information