Cheese Glorious Cheese

Spun Silver

Caerphillly, starting with the (Welsh) name. But it's very hard to find good stuff. It's a hard cheese but should be crumbly. It's something like Gloucester.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Yum yum. I had a thing for a while with spreading chevre (soft goat cheese) on crusty bread. Totally unhealthy but delicious.

gk_891

I hate cheese now but when I was younger, I liked salty cheeses like parmesan and pecorino on certain dishes. They were easier to digest for me, probably because they were fermented for longer.

Lucy25

None of the super smelly ones, and NOT bleu (blue?) cheese. Pretty much anything else though. Cheese is delicious. On crackers, on burgers, sandwiches, nachos. etc. I nearly always prefer it melted. :swoon:
Same about blue cheese. It smells like vomit (not trying to be crude; it really does to me).

Artemis@BC

I never met a cheese I didn't like, though some I prefer as ingredients rather than for snacking. Soft cheeses are a bit bland but lovely topped with something like pepper jelly or fig jam or garlic scape jam. And blues cheese is just too harsh on its own, but is lovely in so many dishes.

This same brand has a white "English seaside" aged cheddar at Whole Foods that is amazing!

I haven't tried that brand, but I'm guessing it's very similar to the "Coastal Cheddar" that Costco carries. That's one of my go-to cheese, consistently good quality and excellent price. But I don't have a Costco membership myself so have to rely on others to be my suppliers.

Most of my favourite cheese are in the aged cheddar category. In addition to the Coastal Cheddar, Trader Joe's Unexpected Cheddar is very good, and I pick up some of that whenever I cross the border. But my all-time favourite is an aged goat cheddar from a local guy. It's phenomenal, probably the best cheese I've ever had. Luckily he's at the farmer's market almost every week so I never have to wait long to get a supply.

altai_rose

Everything except blue cheese (unless it's in a burger or with a steak salad, then yum!). I love brie (Trader Joes has some nice ones, like St. Andre's), drunken goat (Whole foods), fresh chevre (farmers market, and Trader Joes), sharp cheddar, aged cheddar, aged gruyere, grated PR, aged gouda (maybe my favorite, it's like eating a nutty caramel)... so pretty much everything!

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I love all cheese, the rotten, the smelly, give it to me.
My favorite is Gruyere though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruyère_cheese
A woman after my own heart.

Love cheese, almost anything but goat. No goat, please. But anything else, sheep, cow, soft, hard, stinky, delicate, bring in on!!! I had the most exquisite sheep's milk Spanish cheese called roncal with an apricot preserve during the NYE dinner at this Basque place. :swoon:

Last edited:

Allskate

None of the super smelly ones, and NOT bleu (blue?) cheese. Pretty much anything else though.

That's how I feel. Unless it's blue cheese or really funky, I like it. I love creamy cheese, semi-soft cheese, soft cheese, and hard cheese. I love not only cow cheese, but also goat cheese (especially cream cheese or chevre) and sheep cheese (especially manchego). I eat it melted and unmelted.

I eat cheese almost every day. It's one of the main reasons I could never become a vegan.

I second the aged gouda. (Trader Joe's has some good aged gouda. I also like their goat cream cheese, their Supreme Brie and mushroom brie, and their manchego. They've got a great variety and fairly affordable prices.)

I also really like the English Seaside at Whole Foods that has been mentioned, and it's not outrageously expensive. (I sometimes have to make myself avoid the cheese section at Whole Foods because cheese is what I'm most likely to splurge on when it comes to food and drink.) Another favorite for snacking that I get at Whole Foods is the Bellavitano Rum Runner. I have to buy a sample size or I'll eat too much of it.

clairecloutier

I also love cheese. My most recent fun discovery is Chebris, a semi-firm cheese that's a sheep/goat mix. Yum.

I love most cheeses, but the ones that are always in my fridge are: Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino, mild cheddar, Colby longhorn, Colby jack, cream cheese, mozzarella sticks for my daughters, sliced Swiss for sandwiches. Others making frequent appearances: Monterey Jack, feta, goat cheese, ricotta, kasseri, kefalotyri.

TheGirlCanSkate

I love the individual individual brie servings at trader Joe's. The rind ors thinner and the center is oh so creamy.

emason

Another cheese lover here. Oddly enough, I couldn't stand it as a child and never ate it. I think I was 26 before I had my first grilled cheese. Now I love all the varieties, including the stinky ones, but my favorites are the good melting cheeses. My easy to make grab and go breakfast is 3/4 of an ounce of cheese melted on half a Kaiser roll and washed down with some fresh squeezed OJ.

Only cheeses that don't make the cut are those disgusting fake processed American Cheese type of things that go on burgers.

moebius

I like the unripened brie that Trader Joe's has occasionally. No rind, just creamy cheese.
Sliced Spanish Manchego cheese from Trader Joe's tapas sampler is kinda creamy, but semi-hard. Really good, so I bought a block of TJ's Manchego, but it didn't taste as good. I wonder why..
Trader Joes's French Basque cheese is really good also. Semi-hard creamy cheese. One TJ's employee says it has a strong smell, but I don't think so. I don't like smelly cheeses, like bleu, feta, gorgonzola, etc.
Ice Alisa mentioned Italian Burata, which is also yummy, like soft pillowy fresh mozzarella cheese.
Trader Joe's also sells middle eastern Halloumi cheese. You can fry the cheese until it's brown without melting it. It's salty, though.
I had fresh ricotta cheese in Poland, and it tasted like fresh mozzarella cheese. Yum! I don't even like regular ricotta cheese.

myhoneyhoney

I have a TJ a few clocks away. I need to stop by tomorrow to try some of these different cheese!

Allskate

Sliced Spanish Manchego cheese from Trader Joe's tapas sampler is kinda creamy, but semi-hard. Really good, so I bought a block of TJ's Manchego, but it didn't taste as good. I wonder why..

Trader Joe's carries at least four kinds of Manchego. One is the sliced. Another is shaved. Then there are at least two different kinds of blocks of Manchego. My favorite is one of the blocks. It's nuttier than the other ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information