Cheese Glorious Cheese

Japanfan

Extra sharp white cheddar (preferably melted) and reggiano parmesan are my favourite. I also like Boursin, and there is one particular French creamy cheese I'm partial to. I can't remember the name, though as the specialty market I get it at didn't have any when I was last there. It is packaged in a small brown glass bowl.

I also get a wonderful Bulgarian feta from an independent grocery.

All these cheese likely pale in comparison to what you can get in France, but alas, I am not in France.

clairecloutier

Okay, this thread has convinced me that even though it's a work night, I must have a glass of wine and a nice chunk of CHEEESSE!
(Ya'll are bad influences on me. :p)

@clairecloutier, you must need a separate fridge just for your cheese! :lol:

:lol: We actually do have a second fridge downstairs!! (Although it's not JUST for the cheese :D)

Artemis@BC

Trader Joe's also sells middle eastern Halloumi cheese. You can fry the cheese until it's brown without melting it. It's salty, though.

Mmm, saganaki! One of my favourite cheese-based dishes. I hadn't noticed the halloumi at TJ's, but one of my local supermarkets carries it, and it's not as salty as some.

Someone else brought up fondue: what's your favourite blend for fondue? I like the classic Emmenthaller & Gruyere combo, with just a bit of sharp cheddar for bite. Last time I made it I used smoked Gruyere, that was yummy.

And Welsh rarebit, another delicious thing to do with cheese. I'll use Caerphilly if I can find it, but it works just fine with a good cheddar.

Ok, hungry now ...

gkelly

My favorite is very sharp white cheddar not just melted but toasted to the point that it bubbles and browns a bit.

Other sharp melted/broiled/toasted cheeses such as parmesan on popcorn or pizza are yummy.

I can't stand bleu cheese or any others with visible* mold, Swiss cheese and its relatives, or cottage cheese.

Otherwise I generally like other cheeses sliced/spread on bread or crackers, but even in that context a sharp cheddar would still be my first choice.

*My sixth-grade science teacher warned us that if we ever looked at cheese under a microscope we would never eat it again. I never looked.

rjblue

Having a great day!
To eat by itself, Wensleydale is probably my favourite. I love a plate of mixed cheeses and charcuterie. I usually buy cheddar, havarti, and smoked gouda.

My favorite sandwich is grilled with zucchini, eggplant, and goat cheese.

On hamburgers I like a good dollop of boursin.

Cachoo

Ita about boursin and burgers or with roast beef sandwiches. Mom loves pimento cheese. I don't know if this cheese or "cheese product" which, of course, isn't cheese. But she wanted the little jar of Kraft Pimento Cheese for her water crackers to munch during the Oscars.

icie

Keeping up appearances
You have all mentioned some great cheeses to try out. I do have a Trader Joes gift card that will be used to try some new cheese. :)

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I love all cheese, the rotten, the smelly, give it to me.
My favorite is Gruyere though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruyère_cheese
I have only come across two or three cheeses that were too "rotten and smelly" for me. :lol: My mainstay is sharp cheddar and there is a locally-produced one that I really like called Prairie Breeze. I also am partial to the fresh chevre that is even more local (farm and creamery is just a few miles from my house). I like Stilton (both blue and white varieties), Jarlsberg, brie, smoked Gouda -- just about any kind of cheese -- except the fake stuff (Kraft Singles processed cheese food :yikes:) or the awful vegan ersatz "cheese" products. :scream:

Artemis@BC

My favorite is very sharp white cheddar not just melted but toasted to the point that it bubbles and browns a bit.

Oooh, toasty browned cheese is food of the gods. Whenever I make grilled cheese, I always add extra cheese to the outside of the bread so it gets all brown and crispy. Mmmm ....

Jenny

From the Bloc
Mom loves pimento cheese. I don't know if this cheese or "cheese product" which, of course, isn't cheese. But she wanted the little jar of Kraft Pimento Cheese for her water crackers to munch during the Oscars.

Not being from the south, I had heard of pimento cheese but never tried it when I saw a jar of Kraft in the store, so I bought it. Tasted pretty much like a slightly fancier Cheez Whiz. Then I found a recipe and the lightbulb went off! It's the easiest thing in the world to make with so many variations possible beyond the basic sharp cheese/mayo/pimentos (or roasted red peppers), I highly recommend whipping up a batch and dividing it in two next time - one for Mom, and one for yourself :)

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
^ @Jenny -- Yes, the home made pimento cheese spread is really easy and really good. (I don't like the texture of Cheez Whiz, although I won't turn up my nose and refuse Rotel/Velveeta dip :lol: ).

Lucy25

Trader Joes has the best selection of cheeses. A huge variety at very reasonable prices. Love that place.

clairecloutier

Someone else brought up fondue: what's your favourite blend for fondue? I like the classic Emmenthaller & Gruyere combo, with just a bit of sharp cheddar for bite. Last time I made it I used smoked Gruyere, that was yummy.

I also do Emmenthaler/Gruyere for fondue. There's another French Swiss cheese that I sometimes add--Appenzeller. I may have also used Comte at times.

I sometimes do your trick of adding a little cheese to the outside of a grilled cheese sandwich. Yummm. (Side note--To spice up my grilled cheese, I also often add pepperoncini to the sandwich. The tangy hotness is a great counterpoint to the rich cheese.)

Allskate

On hamburgers I like a good dollop of boursin.

I like to smear Boursin onto bell peppers and just snack on it that way. (I'm about to each some red bell pepper with dill goat cream cheese smeared on it.)

I'm not very into hamburgers. But I love portobello "burgers" with melted mozzarella (or smoked mozzarella). I also like mushrooms and cheese in eggs.

Cachoo

Mmm, saganaki! One of my favourite cheese-based dishes. I hadn't noticed the halloumi at TJ's, but one of my local supermarkets carries it, and it's not as salty as some.

And Welsh rarebit, another delicious thing to do with cheese. I'll use Caerphilly if I can find it, but it works just fine with a good cheddar.

Ok, hungry now ...

That is exactly what I am talking about although I've never had smoked Gruyere. I'm trying to track down a Mac and Cheese recipe using gruyere and fontina. There used to be a small café that is long gone but their macaroni and cheese was delicious. I'm not sure of the blend they used though I know the two I mentioned were included. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
All of you blue cheese haters are making me have death in my soul.

CHEESISTS!!!! I have no idea which is my favorite, it's like trying to pick my favorite matryoshka or Hello Kitty doll. With each new post, I was like ooo, I love white cheddar! JARLESBURG! All the abandoned stinky cheeses.

Love melted cheese but prefer it in its natural state.

Japanfan

or the awful vegan ersatz "cheese" products. :scream:

I find it amusing that people who don't eat something like to substitute it with another food that can't even pretend to be the same, as if it somehow becomes more palatable. I bought a vegan 'cream cheese' by mistake, and it tasted like cardboard. And, there is vegetarian restaurant here that serves soy products in the shape of chops or beef slices, something like that. :confused:

I'm reminded of another cheese I love. It's not available in Canada, only in the US, and is a thick, spreadable orange cheese that comes in a small red plastic container with black letters on it. Anyone know the name of that?

Last edited:

nyrak

I'm reminded of another cheese I love. It's not available in Canada, only in the US, and is a think, spreadable orange cheese that comes in a small red plastic container with black letters on it. Anyone know the name of that?

Sounds like Imperial Cheddar?

I grew up thinking cheddar and cheese were pretty much synonymous because that's all we ever had at home...unless we had mozzarella for making pizza. For years I didn't think I liked parmesan because all I'd had was that awful shakeable Kraft stuff that doesn't have to be refrigerated.

Then 8 years ago I started working in a deli. I've tried numerous cheeses and am willingly turning into a cheese snob.

My favourites - Applewood Smoked Cheddar, Dubliner Cheddar, Parmigiano Reggiano, dill havarti, Jarlsberg and most spicy cheeses. Nothing from a sheep or goat.

Has anyone tried Gjetost?

mrr50

I live in Wisconsin. There are a lot of fabulous cheese factories here that make artisan cheese. My favorite is Sartori's Balsamic Bellavitano.

Jenny

From the Bloc
That is exactly what I am talking about although I've never had smoked Gruyere. I'm trying to track down a Mac and Cheese recipe using gruyere and fontina. There used to be a small café that is long gone but their macaroni and cheese was delicious. I'm not sure of the blend they used though I know the two I mentioned were included. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

This one has gruyere and parmesan, not fontina, but it is hands down the very best mac and cheese recipe we've ever had (and make frequently I might add!) - from Balthazar restaurant in NY.

Artemis@BC

I'm reminded of another cheese I love. It's not available in Canada, only in the US, and is a thick, spreadable orange cheese that comes in a small red plastic container with black letters on it. Anyone know the name of that?

MacLaren's Imperial Sharp Cold Pack Cheddar Cheese. And it most definitely is available in Canada, I buy it every year for a couple of Christmas dishes I make. Look for it near the cream cheese. And Costco sells it in 2-packs.

Artemis@BC

This one has gruyere and parmesan, not fontina, but it is hands down the very best mac and cheese recipe we've ever had (and make frequently I might add!) - from Balthazar restaurant in NY.

Ok, adding that to my list of recipes to try! (sans bacon for me though)

I'm constantly searching for the perfect mac & cheese. My current favourite is a copycat from S'Mac restaurant in New York, their "Parisienne" style with shiitake and figs, and brie, muenster, pecorino romano, and provolone cheeses. It's quite elaborate though and I rarely have all those cheese at the same time, but oh so good!

recipe here

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
There's a great cheese shop in Vancouver called Benton Brothers, with one branch in Kerrisdale on 41st or 43rd (whichever is the bigger cross street) and Arbutus (or it might be West by then) and another in Granville Island Market. (They closed their little shop on Cambie, near the Park Theatre :drama:) I've had so many great cheeses from Quebec, Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, and Greece from them.

My favorite may be Parrano. They recommended it as a great grating cheese, about the softest that would be used, but while I was grating, a piece crumbled off and I ate it, and not much of the rest got grated. :swoon:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
All of you blue cheese haters are making me have death in my soul.
Slightly off topic but I LOVE that Joubert's quote from however many years ago ("death in my soul") is living on. It's infinitely useful!

Forgot to say how much I LOVE fresh mozzarella. It absolutely MAKES a homemade pizza. Something about the texture and flavor just makes me want to keep eating and eating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information