Zimmerman suspended for 2 years by U.S. Center for SafeSport

Sylvia

TBD
As reported by Christine Brennan (note: the original article has been updated since I first posted):
Excerpts:
John Zimmerman, a 2002 Olympian and member of the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame, has been suspended for two years by the U.S. Center for SafeSport ...
The suspension, which was announced on the SafeSport website Tuesday evening, is subject to appeal. SafeSport, which described the offense as "abuse of process, emotional misconduct, failure to report," did not disclose the length of the suspension, but a person with knowledge of the investigation told USA TODAY Sports that Zimmerman received a two-year suspension plus one year of probation.
The person requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
[Silvia] Fontana and [Vinny] Dispenza are not listed on SafeSport's centralized disciplinary database, however they each received six months of probation, according to the person with knowledge of the investigation.

ETA that USFS' Grievances page is updated: https://www.usfigureskating.org/grievances

On March 9, 2021, the U.S. Center for SafeSport issued the following sanction regarding John Zimmerman IV.

Sanction: Two (2) year Suspension. Beginning on March 9, 2021, John Zimmerman IV is prohibited for two (2) years from participating, in any capacity, in any event, program, activity, or competition authorized by, organized by, or under the auspices of the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee (USOPC), the National Governing Bodies recognized by the USOPC, a Local Affiliated Organization as defined by the Code, any High Performance Management Organization (HPMO), or at a facility under the jurisdiction of the same.

Pursuant to U.S. Figure Skating Bylaw Article XXV, Section 2, U.S. Figure Skating hereby adopts the Sanction imposed by the Center suspending John Zimmerman IV for two (2) years effective March 9, 2021.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

All of these seem pretty mild for coaches who violated the most basic precepts around keeping sports safe (i.e., engaging in a coverup).

Better than nothing, of course, but I don't see how any of them have any business being allowed to coach again.

Orm Irian

I am very glad to read this, I hope any appeal fails and I wish the penalties applied to Fontana and Dispenza had been considerably more stringent.

Mandatory reporters who fail to fulfil their duties really, really, really make me angry.

ETA: I especially wish the penalty for Dispenza had been heavier because of this, which I hadn't seen in previous reporting:

Dispenza also allegedly issued a threat. “If I said something, he said I would never skate again,” the girl said.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If Fontana and Dispenza have received penalties, is there a reason why those penalties would not be listed on SafeSport?

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Yes, so since Fontana only got probation, it seems like she will be able to coach skaters at USFS events. All three will be able to continue teaching at their rink. since the rink leadership thinks the whole problem was the fault of the girl and her parents. I don't see how this will affect them much at all, other than a little public notoriety. which will probably be laughed off and excused by the coaches, rink staff and parents who still hire them.

The whole thing sounds like one small step from the wheeling and dealing that went on for years under the previous system. Figure out a way to slap hands a little without affecting anyone's bottom line. If I'm wrong in this assessment, please explain.

chachacha

Yes, so since Fontana only got probation, it seems like she will be able to coach skaters at USFS events. All three will be able to continue teaching at their rink. since the rink leadership thinks the whole problem was the fault of the girl and her parents. I don't see how this will affect them much at all, other than a little public notoriety. which will probably be laughed off and excused by the coaches, rink staff and parents who still hire them.

The whole thing sounds like one small step from the wheeling and dealing that went on for years under the previous system. Figure out a way to slap hands a little without affecting anyone's bottom line. If I'm wrong in this assessment, please explain.
Maybe the parents should sue the rink for employing these coaches who basically got a slap on the wrist

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That seems like a rather big flaw in the SafeSport process. If a coach is taken off the ice as a penalty for any kind of misconduct, IMO that misconduct and the penalty need to be publicly stated.
People on probation aren't taken off the ice though.

What does a probation prohibit Fontana and Dispenza from doing?
Nothing. It just means they better be on their best behavior.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Oh my, Morgan... why? I just have a word for you: Karma. You'll pay (whatever you have to pay) in life hell or heaven, by your own
I don’t get it, I clicked on the link and it’s some guy I’ve never even heard of. It looks like Morgan hasn’t posted on Twitter in three years. That’s Morgan? And he’s wearing it today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information