Yuzuru Hanyu Cheer Thread

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Japanese TV companies used to record multiple shows and edit the programs where skaters fell. Some years ago TV Tokyo was criticized on a gossip magazine that they edited Mao's exhibition program skated at a show by calling it "manipulation." Since then I have impressions that TV companies tend to air show numbers without editing the misses that skaters made. Thus they tend not to record multiple shows done on the same day these days. How silly. Fans are just happy to watch/record the better version. Show broadcast is never a news coverage.

Meoima

Japanese TV companies used to record multiple shows and edit the programs where skaters fell. Some years ago TV Tokyo was criticized on a gossip magazine that they edited Mao's exhibition program skated at a show by calling it "manipulation." Since then I have impressions that TV companies tend to air show numbers without editing the misses that skaters made. Thus they tend not to record multiple shows done on the same day these days. How silly. Fans are just happy to watch/record the better version. Show broadcast is never a news coverage.
Thank you for the info. So that's why. To be fair they don't need to edit anything. Fans just want to watch the better version. They can broadcast program that skaters do the best of the day. Like using the performance that Kozuka does well on Sunday and the performance Yuzuru does okay on Saturday... No harm at all. :drama:

Anyways it seems today Yuzuru did well.
Today's Show from twitter:
Opening 4T clean
Seimei: 4S (step out) 2T, 3F, 4T-2T, 3A-3T

But there will be no video. :mad::mad::mad:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
It's impossible for TV companies to record everything since there are plenty of shows in Japan - almost every week during off-season. I really wish we fans and/or skaters' families are allowed to record during shows/competitions with our own cameras. The organizers are pretty much rude IMO.

adelia

Some information that is related to Yuzuru's FS choice, Seimei:

"Ichikawa Somegoro & Domoto Koichi to work together in the TV Asahi drama SP "Onmyouji"

Ichikawa Somegoro and KinKi Kids' Domoto Koichi will be working together in the TV Asahi drama "Onmyouji" which is based on the novel by Yumemakura Baku and due to be shown in summer this year. Ichikawa will play the lead Abe no Seimei while Domoto will play Abe's buddy Minamoto no Hiromasa. The same novel had been made into a NHK drama starring SMAP's Inagaki Goro and two movies starring Nomura Mansai in the past. This will be Domoto's first appearance in a period drama while Ichikawa last played Abe in the opening kabuki production "Onmyouji" in 2013 when the Kabukiza was reopened after renovations. As compared to the previous editions, this drama SP will make use of latest computer graphics to portray the world of the onmyouji, the monsters and magic. Filming was done primarily in Oshu City, Iwate Prefecture over a month from early May...

Co-stars also include Kawahara Kazuhisa who is also Ichikawa's brother-in-law in real life, Wada Masato, Musaka Naomasa, Shigaki Taro, Uesugi Shozo, Hinagata Akiko, Wada Toshihiro, Jinbo Satoshi, Kunimura Jun."

http://doramaworld.blogspot.com/2015/06/ichikawa-somegoro-domoto-koichi-to-work.html

Some really big names in the cast. Ichikawa Somgegoro is the heir to Matsumoto Koshiro (famous Kabuki actor, actress Matsu Takako's father) and cousin to Ebizo.

The timing coincides nicely with Yuzuru's FS.

Meoima

Latest news is that Yuzuru will keep his Chopin SP. He will use the original version of Chopin before being injured last season which is spread eagle 3A spread eagle, 4T and 3lz3T.
He will compete at Skate Canada Autumn Classic on October 14th.
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/1519257.html

@Vash01 I hope you like this news as Chopin is one of your favorites.

Last edited:

Meoima

Maybe Yuzuru favors Tracy more than mama Orser: https://vine.co/v/ex3QjEKM3Kt

Ina bauer: https://vine.co/v/ed3Bvt0Y7Zj

Yuzuru’s message to the elementary and junior high school children participating in the Anti-Bullying Forum:
https://youtu.be/F0huXLuLtxM

“Hello to the elementary and junior high school children in Miyagi prefecture. This is Hanyu Yuzuru.
I understand that you are now disseminating activities to eradicate bullying from schools. In fact, I also had some unpleasant experience during my school days myself. As I was always doing figure-skating since my childhood, I hardly had a chance to play with school friends and I was often lonely. However, I now feel very pleased and happy that I can deliver a speech in front of you like this, and that many people support me.
Each one has different feeling and thought. Some people like tomatoes, while others don’t. Similarly, it’s totally natural that you like someone while you don’t like someone. But even if you cannot come to be fond of someone, perhaps, we could still enjoy some time together, chatting and playing, if we stay together.
Not all of you can stay close forever. All the more for it, I would like you to create an enjoyable school life, by studying, eating and playing together.
I always support your activities from afar. Do your best! Yuzuru Hanyu.”
Translated by Sophie Moroi from YH fb group.

Sylvia

TBD
Published on Sept. 22 at the end of this "Salt Lake City Snippets" article:
Orser added that Hanyu, who arrives at the Cricket Club this week, will train far more in Toronto this season than he did for the 2014-15 campaign.

"He will stay right through until Skate Canada, and stay after Skate Canada, and then we will go to NHK," Orser said. "I will have a lot more time with him, which was kind of missing last year."

MAXSwagg

How is Yuzuru's health this season?

Not really any major news about him (I'm a member of his Facebook fan page and haven't seen anything about this skating lately) other than that he's been back in Toronto, so not sure, but I assume he's fine and training as usual.

Meoima

Yuzuru rocked the Peggy Fleming spread eagle-axel-spread eagle choreography.
Well they gave him +3 GOE for that spread eagle-3 axel-spread eagle. :40beers: Too bad about the quad, I hope he will reduce the steps before it to make it easier but the boy is stubborn.
Anyways the score doesn't matter, it's good that he seems to be in ok condition compare to this time last season. I love that his spins are even getting better.

Meoima

And Yuzuru is so smart as he adjusted the layout when mistake happened, the boy surely knows how to count:

4S - Landed
4T - Landed
3F - Landed
4T - Fall, maybe marked as UR? (Planned 4T-2T)
3A-2T - Landed (Planned 3A-3T)
3a - Shaky landing (Planned 3A-1Lo-3S)
3lo-1lo-3s - Landed (Planned 3Lo but he added missed combo here)
3Lz

:encore::encore::encore:No wonder he was a straight A student in high school and his best subject was math!

Last edited:

martyross

The SP almost made me cry. It should become a classic, "The Chopin". Yet I find he ought to skate it showing a complete immersion in the music, like a musician (i.e. pretending, for the sake of the interpretation, that, while skating such a "serious" music, he's not fiercely competing for the first place at the same time :) ). I remember his performance at NHK, I sensed in him a sort of desire to show himself as "the champion", "the golden Japanese boy”" It took something from the whole thing (which was breath-taking anyway).
Because this Ballade is art, and art is life, what he presents should go beyond the fight for a medal or a big score (yet just pretending that it goes beyond, as I said... of course he's competing). It's easier said than done, but that would be the final touch that makes this short an absolute masterpiece. A little suggestion in the clothes department. The belt is a very nice addition, but I would change the color of the shirt. Something more mature, because the music is mature. He keeps looking like a kid every year, which is adorable and creates a unique contrast with his adult-like spirit and passion. But a skater grows, both as an athlete and as a person, and it would be great to see a mature Yuzuru in Pyeongchang. Could be the next Yagudin or something. (The guy is also striking and I can't even imagine how gorgeous he will look in his late 20's-early 30's)
As for the FS, I say it's much more interesting than the previous ones, finally a step in the right direction (or, at least, a direction). If the program is about struggle, well, he was faithful to the theme because it looked like he was struggling all the way through. Maybe bc of stamina, nerves, or the complexity of the new choreography. With Yuzuru's long programs, one always finds himself wondering whether he will make it to the end or whether he'll collapse, so he kind of creates an internal real-life drama within the drama of the performances themselves :) Never saw this before. It's like his trademark.
I'm still reflecting on his "Seimei", bc, as I said, it goes on a new route.
Have to say that I'm not completely sure that Shae Lynn-Bourne is the right choreographer for him. I would like to see what he would do under Tom Dickson's guidance, for example, or maybe even an ice dance choreographer. (Sadly, I doubt that until he's under Brian Orser's coaching, he will explore other options choreographers-wise.)
The issue, as I said, is that he tends to look very young. As the sp, Seimei could be a nice vehicle to go on the next level (i.e. maturity). Hence I would add more drama to his Eastern poses. More depth. Despite the atmosphere of the piece (a good representative of contemporary Japanese music) being much more ethereal and subtle than the overly melodramatic "Phantom of the opera", his voracious passion is there as always. (That never fails. I could almost see it with my eyes, not only feeling it with my perception, and it impressed me and made me smile at the same time :) ) This raw passion should be channelled in a more intense commitment to the artistic side of the program. And if he makes it more genuinely Japanese, Seimei could evolve in something very unique and memorable.
Kudos to Yuzuru for everything!

arakwafan2006

The SP almost made me cry. It should become a classic, "The Chopin". Yet I find he ought to skate it showing a complete immersion in the music, like a musician (i.e. pretending, for the sake of the interpretation, that, while skating such a "serious" music, he's not fiercely competing for the first place at the same time :) ). I remember his performance at NHK, I sensed in him a sort of desire to show himself as "the champion", "the golden Japanese boy”" It took something from the whole thing (which was breath-taking anyway).
Because this Ballade is art, and art is life, what he presents should go beyond the fight for a medal or a big score (yet just pretending that it goes beyond, as I said... of course he's competing). It's easier said than done, but that would be the final touch that makes this short an absolute masterpiece. A little suggestion in the clothes department. The belt is a very nice addition, but I would change the color of the shirt. Something more mature, because the music is mature. He keeps looking like a kid every year, which is adorable and creates a unique contrast with his adult-like spirit and passion. But a skater grows, both as an athlete and as a person, and it would be great to see a mature Yuzuru in Pyeongchang. Could be the next Yagudin or something. (The guy is also striking and I can't even imagine how gorgeous he will look in his late 20's-early 30's)
As for the FS, I say it's much more interesting than the previous ones, finally a step in the right direction (or, at least, a direction). If the program is about struggle, well, he was faithful to the theme because it looked like he was struggling all the way through. Maybe bc of stamina, nerves, or the complexity of the new choreography. With Yuzuru's long programs, one always finds himself wondering whether he will make it to the end or whether he'll collapse, so he kind of creates an internal real-life drama within the drama of the performances themselves :) Never saw this before. It's like his trademark.
I'm still reflecting on his "Seimei", bc, as I said, it goes on a new route.
Have to say that I'm not completely sure that Shae Lynn-Bourne is the right choreographer for him. I would like to see what he would do under Tom Dickson's guidance, for example, or maybe even an ice dance choreographer. (Sadly, I doubt that until he's under Brian Orser's coaching, he will explore other options choreographers-wise.)
The issue, as I said, is that he tends to look very young. As the sp, Seimei could be a nice vehicle to go on the next level (i.e. maturity). Hence I would add more drama to his Eastern poses. More depth. Despite the atmosphere of the piece (a good representative of contemporary Japanese music) being much more ethereal and subtle than the overly melodramatic "Phantom of the opera", his voracious passion is there as always. (That never fails. I could almost see it with my eyes, not only feeling it with my perception, and it impressed me and made me smile at the same time :) ) This raw passion should be channelled in a more intense commitment to the artistic side of the program. And if he makes it more genuinely Japanese, Seimei could evolve in something very unique and memorable.
Kudos to Yuzuru for everything!

Great post! No one needs to reword what you said because you said it all.

The only, and I mean ONLY complaint I have about Shae- Lynn's choreography is that it sometimes leaves a little to be desired. Her M.Rouge free skate for Ashley is an innovative concept but it's bare to me. Her pagliacci program for Daisuke, i LOVED it but it felt like a 3 course meal that needed another side and dessert to be complete. The free she's done for Yuzuru is masculine, cool, totally in the character of the music and appropriate. The only thing lacking is sometimes opportunities for him to skate faster though that may be strategic given his Asthma. That short program is incapable of being able to be explained with words.

Sylvia

TBD
Beverley Smith: HANYU MANIA AT AUTUMN CLASSIC
Hanyu won the short program with 93.14 points, after stumbling out of his quad toe loop. He’s using his exquisite [Chopin] routine by Jeff Buttle from his troubled last season, because, said coach Brian Orser, “it had never had a home run with him.

“I’d hate to retire it,” Orser said. “It’s such a beautiful piece.” Hanyu has the world record of 101.45 for a short program, set at the Sochi Olympics, but Orser thinks Hanyu could score 105 with this routine.

Last edited:

Meoima

Great post! No one needs to reword what you said because you said it all.

The only, and I mean ONLY complaint I have about Shae- Lynn's choreography is that it sometimes leaves a little to be desired. Her M.Rouge free skate for Ashley is an innovative concept but it's bare to me. Her pagliacci program for Daisuke, i LOVED it but it felt like a 3 course meal that needed another side and dessert to be complete. The free she's done for Yuzuru is masculine, cool, totally in the character of the music and appropriate. The only thing lacking is sometimes opportunities for him to skate faster though that may be strategic given his Asthma. That short program is incapable of being able to be explained with words.
Actually he skated much faster in practice, his elements were much better in practice too: http://youtu.be/FvkCejzJQ6E
Of course this is the combination of 2 practice in 2 days. But we can get a glimpse of how his free skate Seimei will be when he lands all of his big elements.
I remember Yuzuru said the current choreography of his free skate was still not completed and he and Shae would upgrade the program throughout the season.
I think the program has the potential to be much better. And I think among all programs that Shae has done this season, this might be the most memorable.
Orser said current Yuzuru's stamina isn't 100% yet. So of course there is some room to improve, actually big room to improve because he left too many points on the table at AU.
But of course I'd rather see him as he is right now because there is no need to peak at the beginning of the season, too early. I'd prefer Yuzuru to improve and upgrade his programs as the season goes. And the most important thing is to peak at World Championships in Boston.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information