Yuzuru Hanyu Cheer Thread

Meoima

Fiero425

Jack Gallagher invented words on his own. Yuzuru never said he would definitely go for the third Olympics. He might go but he never stated it clearly

Call me a negative nelly, but if he did go, it would probably be only a symbolic appearance! Yuz was lucky to have won twice when his 2 top competitors flamed out; Patrick Chan in his LP in Sochi, then Nathan Chen in his SP (from #ell) in PyeongChang! Yuzuru would be sporting Silver instead of GOLD if you want to be honest! By 2022, he'll need to pull out more than luck! :40beers:

Meoima

Call me a negative nelly, but if he did go, it would probably be only a symbolic appearance! Yuz was lucky to have won twice when his 2 top competitors flamed out; Patrick Chan in his LP in Sochi, then Nathan Chen in his SP (from #ell) in PyeongChang! Yuzuru would be sporting Silver instead of GOLD if you want to be honest! By 2022, he'll need to pull out more than luck! :40beers:
Call me an optimistic person, I think if Yuzuru decided to go, he would have a chance to win. But he never stated he would definitely go. People should stop putting words into his mouth. He even said he could not think of Olympic Bejing when Olympic Tokyo has yet to happen.
And nope, regardless of what his opponents do, in the end, it was his own demons to defeat at the Olympics. He overcame his demons and those achievements were timeless.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Yuz was lucky to have won twice when his 2 top competitors flamed out; Patrick Chan in his LP in Sochi, then Nathan Chen in his SP (from #ell) in PyeongChang!
You could say Hanyu was lucky, or you could say that Hanyu, in addition to being incredibly talented, is a competitor with nerves of steel. He delivered twice under the highest pressure when his competitors could not - the mark of an exceptional champion.

Do I think he's a lock for a 3-peat? Of course not. But I certainly wouldn't count Hanyu out.

Fairuza

Right, that as luck, busting his ankle 3 months before the Olympics?

Meoima

Damage to Ice Rink Sendai due to the earthquake. The Sendai rink will be closed until they can determine the building is safe. Probably all ice rinks in earthquake-affected areas, including in regions outside Tohoku, will be temporarily closed until they can be sure facilities are safe. Aftershocks are also a problem.
From https://twitter.com/fsnanchara/status/1360630192406810629?s=20

Sad news... it seems Yuzuru's practice rink in his hometown Sendai is currently closed until the end of February due to the earthquake last night. It is unclear if the rink will be safe to open by March. :(:(:( I can only hope everyone will stay safe and that Yuzuru, as well as other skaters who are affected by this earthquake, will find the location to practice. Worlds is so near, practice rink is very important.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
He handled the pressure twice, while his opponents could not. That is not luck. In any case there is some luck involved in most cases. Are you implying that Hanyu “pulled out his luck”- Twice? Won’t it be nice to have such control over one’s luck?!

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
He handled the pressure twice, while his opponents could not. That is not luck. In any case there is some luck involved in most cases. Are you implying that Hanyu “pulled out his luck”- Twice? Won’t it be nice to have such control over one’s luck?!
Agreed, it's more than luck. Katarina Witt comes to mind too, would you call that luck or talent? She was able to withstand the intense pressure.

Sylvia

TBD
Yuzuru Hanyu donates 2.11 million yen to his hometown [Sendai] rink, over 30 million yen :respec::

"At 2:46 pm on March 11, 10 years have passed since the Great East Japan Earthquake, which caused enormous damage to the central Tohoku region. Yuzuru Hanyu (26 = ANA), a figure skating boy who was affected by the disaster in Sendai and lived in a shelter..."

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just got up and saw the men's results. Sounds like a disastrous free skate for Yuzuru. What happened? I was hoping for a gold.

The good thing is the reigning mens world champ rarely wins the OGM. I hope Yuzuru wins that in 2022.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Just got up and saw the men's results. Sounds like a disastrous free skate for Yuzuru. What happened? I was hoping for a gold.

The good thing is the reigning mens world champ rarely wins the OGM. I hope Yuzuru wins that in 2022.
I secretly hope it's the silver medalist that wins gold at the Olympics. His skate was mindblowing.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I secretly hope it's the silver medalist that wins gold at the Olympics. His skate was mindblowing.
Let us see if he is consistent next year. His SP was impressive. More important, who has enough quads to beat Chen? Nobody, right now.

nimi

Yuzu talking about his pursuit of 4A while training on his own. It's quite YIKES :eek: and also quite unsurprising...
"If I can get 1/8 more rotation, I can land it. I’m certain. I have really tortured my body to get this far so I am sure damages have been piling up. I had decided earlier on that if I could land this by February, I would do this at Worlds 2021. I was trying to get there as though my life depended on it. This is why I haven’t done any other jumps. I have only been working on my Axel, sometimes working on this for 2 hours straight on. The average time I spend on this though is usually 45 minutes."
(source for translation: https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus/status/1376166142100770818)

He also says that securing 3 spots for Olys and not getting c*vid were in the forefront of his mind and he ”wasn’t really thinking too much about how to win versus Nathan.”

His beautiful gala performance is on YT.

clairecloutier

:oops: I would love to see a quad Axel, but I want to see a healthy Yuzuru much more than that!! I would have been very satisfied with another beautiful clean LP at Worlds, like JPN Natls. Would have been interesting to see how that matched up against Nathan's magnificent LP.

But, this is who Yuzuru is, I guess.

When you are already 2-time Olympic champion, finding motivation is a whole different game.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
When you are already 2-time Olympic champion, finding motivation is a whole different game.
That's just it. Skaters don't really owe anyone anything to begin with (first and foremost a select group of his fan club), but with Yuzuru, he has made his goal very clear and that's all about the 4A. Those quotes show how badly he wants it, how he wasn't really concerned with the result at Worlds, how he's not really focusing on other jumps, etc; he has one quest. I'm sure he would 'like' to win another Olympics, but obviously the motivation is elsewhere first.

Doing the same old thing is something we see really often (whether that be using the same exact choreography year after year with music changing or giving up working on advancing technically), so it's refreshing that Yuzuru has such a goal still in mind IMO.

Sylvia

TBD
His beautiful gala performance is on YT.
Unfortunately the YT video is blocked in USA but can be watched (for now) starting at the 2 hour 2 minute mark of this German replay: https://www.sportschau.de/winterspo...aulaufen-der-sieger-in-voller-laenge-100.html
It was the highlight of the Worlds gala for me. :)

I thought it was very poignant that Hanyu chose to bring back his program to the song "Hana wa Saku" / "Flowers will Bloom" (info about the song: http://www.nhk.or.jp/ashita/english/song/ ) on the 10th anniversary of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami that affected him personally in his hometown of Sendai. I was told he first performed this exhibition program at 2014 NHK Trophy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcRlanbiA24

March 11, 2021 article in English (Japanese news links are in post #1630 above):

Sylvia

TBD
Has it been announced if Yuzuru is going back to Canada with Orser
This article ("I can't say I'm going back to Canada") seems to indicate he would like to return to Toronto but isn't sure yet:

clairecloutier

In this translated interview bit, Hanyu says: "I'd like to perfect these programs more." He explains that he specifically wants to do 4A in the Heaven & Earth program.

So, based on this, I don't know what the likelihood is of him getting new programs for next season.

At times he sounds like a bit of a mad scientist when talking about his skating. :lol: I mean that in a good way mostly (although I do worry about him spending hours on quad Axels). :biggrinbo

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
In this translated interview bit, Hanyu says: "I'd like to perfect these programs more." He explains that he specifically wants to do 4A in the Heaven & Earth program.

So, based on this, I don't know what the likelihood is of him getting new programs for next season.

At times he sounds like a bit of a mad scientist when talking about his skating. :lol: I mean that in a good way mostly (although I do worry about him spending hours on quad Axels). :biggrinbo
He really wants the 4A. That's what motivates him. I would love to see him win a third OGM but that seems like an impossibility now. If he lands the 4A in a competition will he be satisfied?

I hope he will give us many more memorable performances. I feel lucky that we are still seeing the two time Olympic champion give the sport his all.

S

ShuPa

I'm a bit late for this but congratulations to Yuzu on his brilliant SP and on helping to secure the 3 spots for Japan at the Olympic Games. It was his 7th medal on a Worlds podium which is a record itself as he is the first to do this feat in the past 40 years. He first Worlds podium was in 2012 -- almost ten year years ago, which is insane given how much the men's discipline changed with the quad revolution and the fact he's been struggled with so many injuries, illnesses and harships over his senior career. His longevity speaks for itself, and I think his consistency is amazing.

I'll be happy if he keeps his free program and we will see Ten To Chi To more next season. I hope he stays healthy the next few months and we will see the birth of 4A soon. But before all that, I wish him good luck at WTT in 2 weeks. Go, Yuzu!

BittyBug

Disgusted
I guess I am finally paying attention, but I just noticed that Hanyu did not jump either flip or a lutz in his free programs this year, when both (especially the lutz) are usually very reliable jumps for him. I guess with his current quad layout and repeating the 3A there would only be two places to fit a lutz or flip - in lieu of the triple loop (not much of a point difference), or if he can do a flip off the Euler like Chen, he could do that in lieu of the salchow. Still, I'm wondering does he have some type of injury that is influencing their omission?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I guess I am finally paying attention, but I just noticed that Hanyu did not jump either flip or a lutz in his free programs this year, when both (especially the lutz) are usually very reliable jumps for him. I guess with his current quad layout and repeating the 3A there would only be two places to fit a lutz or flip - in lieu of the triple loop (not much of a point difference), or if he can do a flip off the Euler like Chen, he could do that in lieu of the salchow. Still, I'm wondering does he have some type of injury that is influencing their omission?
The only thing he could really do under the current plan is switch out a 3Lo for either a F or Lz. But he has a 4Lo, 4S, two 4T (can only repeat one quad, he chooses T), two 3A so his repeated jumps are maxed out there, and then he's free to do whichever remaining triple as the last spot. Since he does a Euler combination with a 3S and could do an additional combination with a 3T (didn't do it in Japan), his remaining options are: 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz. He always used to throw a Lutz at the very end and it sometimes went very wrong, so maybe he's just most comfortable with Lo. Not that big of a point difference and probably a better assurance rate.

Sylvia

TBD
"During the practice session for the gala, #YuzuruHanyu attempted the #4A, 12 times and fell all 6 times excluding the attempts where he popped it...he shouted at himself saying: 'Let's land it!' before his last attempt."
Televised clip of one of his 4A attempts in the gala practice on Saturday: https://twitter.com/fujitubo5963/status/1383361676779474951

"The final goal is not to win the gold medal in the Olympics, but to succeed in four and a half rotations."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I thought it was very poignant that Hanyu chose to bring back his program to the song "Hana wa Saku" / "Flowers will Bloom" (info about the song: http://www.nhk.or.jp/ashita/english/song/ ) on the 10th anniversary of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami that affected him personally in his hometown of Sendai. I was told he first performed this exhibition program at 2014 NHK Trophy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcRlanbiA24
THANK YOU to Taiwan's ELTA Sports for uploading Yuzuru's EX performances from WTT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxEfoTvkCIk
His encore was part of his "Let Me Entertain You" SP.

Fairuza

He said that toepick jumps don’t fit this program well. He’s been jumping lutz and flip in practice.

Sylvia

TBD
This article by Susan Russell was originally published in the IFS March/April 2021 issue and made available online on May 2, 2021:
Excerpt re. his FS that was choreographed remotely by Shae-Lynn Bourne:
Hanyu’s long program represents the Battle of Kawanakajima, which took place in 1561 between two feudal lords, Uesugi Kenshin and Takeda Shingen, who fought for control of a plain in the Shinaro province that is part of the present-day city of Nagano.
“The beginning of the piece was Shae’s idea. I imagine that I am fighting and my front arm is the armour of a samurai,” Hanyu explained about his opening pose. “I used the title of the taiga drama ‘Ten to Chi to’ (a long running Japanese television series). But for me, it is ‘Ten to chi no hito’ (a man between heaven and earth). My arm is the transition between where I am, and the sky above and the earth below.
“Then the part with the Biwa (a Japanese short-necked lute) begins. This was part of the actual piece of music. It symbolizes that I actually don’t want to fight, but have to in order to protect my loved ones.
“The song is full of determination, like I am going to fight, or filled with a sense of preparing for battle. At the end, after the Ina Bauer, the Biwa sound while I am spinning is one I included from a different piece of music and layered it to make it original. I wanted to incorporate typical Japanese elements with traditional instruments and the Biwa was best suited for this.”
Hanyu also added a koto (a 13-stringed harp-like instrument) because he wanted to make the program even more ‘Japonesque.’ “I developed many different versions of the piece, but since I’m not a professional musician, I just adapted it to the step sequences and the choreography. The way Kenshin fought and his philosophy touched me deeply. My situation is similar and I could identify with him. Fighting and still not winning you can say is painful, so I am somewhat influenced by Kenshin’s overall sense of values about battles.

S

ShuPa

Yuzu participated in Dreams on Ice show on 9-11 July, there were four shows in three days. He skated to his exhibition program 'Masquerade'. He skated the programs with 3A, 3F and delayed 1A, all of them beautifully executed. I loved his mature performances of this program. Here his performance from Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UifSp2vT5Tw

Huge and effortless triple Axel: https://twitter.com/RlKABOT/status/1414103036679557121?s=20

Fans say the delayed 1A with both of his hands up in the air without holding them should be called the 'hanyu Axel' :)https://twitter.com/tegomass/status/1413736034907602947?s=20

Interview with Yuzu from DOI (thanks to the Axel with wings for the great translation):
Some parts from it:

― Regarding next season’s programs, have you decided on your SP?

Y: The music is decided. But, the editing is not done, so I cannot announce it yet.

― Will the free program [from last season] continue on?

Y: Yes, I am thinking I want to keep the free (program) “Ten to Chi to”.

―Once again, what are your thoughts on the Beijing Olympics?

Y: I don’t particularly have the same feelings that I absolutely must get the gold medal like I did during the season of Pyeongchang (Olympics). However, I am very determined to definitely land the quad Axel this season. I will take up that challenge this season with that resolve and determination.

― Is [the Beijing Olympics] something beyond that goal?

Y: If it happens to be part of the journey [towards the 4A]. It’s just…hm. Like I said before, I feel I don’t have the same degree of passion or fervour that I did at the time of Sochi or Pyeongchang.

― Will your training base this season be in Japan?

Y: First, in order to return to Canada now, there are many difficult procedures involved. I’m not certain whether it is even possible or not, but for the time being, based on my experiences from last season, I feel that I can grow even if training on my own, so I am not thinking of returning to Canada at the moment. However, I think with regards to the choreography, that it will be done with remote assistance [from Canada].

Interview after DOI. "For me, I think 4A is the last dream of my life as a competitive skater. I will achieve it with everything that I have." https://twitter.com/flowerforyuzu/status/1414268229707386886?s=20

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information