Yanny or Laurel

Rob

Beach Bum
I only hear Laurel! I can’t believe people can hear Yanny....

Now the question is whether there’s any relation to whether you saw the dress as blue or white.;)

Same here, I hear Laurel and nothing anyway near a Y sound at all. I am on my computer now. I heard Laurel when I heard it on the radio today too on my car speakers. They sped it up and slowed it down on the radio, and I still heard Laurel.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The one where they play with the frequencies sounds like Yanny, Yammy, Jerry & then once they get into the deeper version of the voice, Laurel. But the original link is still Yanny to me.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I went and listened again and got Yanny, then turned up the volume a bit a tried really hard, and it kicked over to Laurel. Once I did that, though, I couldn't get back to Yanny, no matter what I did with the volume.

This is an obsession :p

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Finally heard Yammy distinct from Laurel in the second video. But still only Laurel in the original.

screech

FINALLY, I hear Laurel!

ETA: Just checked the original and now it sounds like "Laurel" and not "yammy" any more!
I tried multiple times and only got Yanny. Then I went back a while later and got Laurel (even if I tried straining for Yanny).

When it comes to the dress, I saw an ugly light blue/gold. No white, no black, blue and gold and ugly.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
This has been all over the radio this morning. I kept hearing Laurel. Then I searched for it on my phone and actually heard Yanny but then it switched over to Laurel. Very strange.

screech

And going back to the clip for the first time since last night, I'm back to Yanny.

Maybe they change the audio links every few minutes just to mess with people?

Lorac

Just to be contrary, I always see the dress as blue/gold instead of white/gold or blue/black.

When I listened on my computer and phone I heard Yammy. However, I found a video on twitter that plays around with the frequency and I was able to hear both Laurel and Yammy.

https://twitter.com/iSigFreud/status/996748100147597318

YES - finally someone else who sees the dress blue and gold. I thought I was the only one :respec:

BaileyCatts

all I hear is Yanny. Multiple computers, multiple people's phones since that's all anyone was doing all day, even on TV this morning on Kelly Ripa show. Yanny Yanny Yanny. :p

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
So this has me all :rolleyes: because I’ve been non stop asked about this all day. I first heard it in the radio while taking my sis to school this morning and I heard laurel. Then one of my co workers also played it a and I heard Janny. My boss and one of my clients also played the sound and both times it just sounded like gibberish to me :lol:

Susan1

all I hear is Yanny. Multiple computers, multiple people's phones since that's all anyone was doing all day, even on TV this morning on Kelly Ripa show. Yanny Yanny Yanny. :p

They announced on the local news that they were going to play it after the break so people would be ready. I stood in front of the t.v. and I still heard yanny. There's a "ya" sound at the beginning, an "n" sound in the middle and "ee" sound at the end! Where do people get "L" and "R" sounds out of that - just on a computer/phone or with earphones?

Last edited:

Veronika

gold dust woman
Why isn't this a poll? ;)

I only hear Yanny...but then I heard a slowed down version of it and I hear Laurel. It's really weird.

The dress was blue and black!!!

BaileyCatts

Okay ... what the feck! All day long, on multiple devices and even different TVs, all I've heard is Yanny Yanny Yanny. I just went and played the clips again and NOW all I hear is Laurel!!! :wideeyes:

debo

After several plays, Yanny for me every time.. My sleeping cat is annoyed as shit and has no choice.

screech

The vocabulary.com site from which the original recording came. It's from the definition for the word 'laurel' which is apparently the correct response. Even when playing from the official site, I hear a nasally "yanny"

LeafOnTheWind

Am I the only one hearing Yuri?

I do have hearing loss from too many ear infections and ruptured eardrums. I also think I'm fighting off yet another ear infection again. So not sure how that's playing into all this.

BaileyCatts

Okay ... what the feck! All day long, on multiple devices and even different TVs, all I've heard is Yanny Yanny Yanny. I just went and played the clips again and NOW all I hear is Laurel!!! :wideeyes:

Not to quote myself but ...... now I just heard it again on Kimmel and all I hear is Yanny again!!!! :wideeyes: What the feck?! I think someone is just fecking with us all and keeps changing the links or something. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MRani

Explanation from a linguist: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/05/dont-rest-on-your-laurels/560483/

And another one about frequencies: https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/15/health/yanny-laurel-audio-social-media-trnd/index.html

But the louder/softer trick works perfectly for me; as soon as the bass kicks in, the lower pitch kicks in and laurel it is. Turn down the sound, the bass disappears and the lower fades with it, and yanny it is.

The Atlantic article by the linguist was super interesting! When they lowered the pitch, that was the first time I was able to hear something other than “Laurel,” but it sounded more like “Yalie” to me.

VGThuy

I went and listened again and got Yanny, then turned up the volume a bit a tried really hard, and it kicked over to Laurel. Once I did that, though, I couldn't get back to Yanny, no matter what I did with the volume.

This is an obsession :p

So I figured out that "Yammy" is my default until I go to this tweet that @katmari linked:

https://twitter.com/iSigFreud/status/996748100147597318

Listen to the video, and then it switches to "Laurel" and stays that way. In order for me to hear "Laurel" I have to listen to that video first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information