Yanny or Laurel

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
It's the blue/black/white/gold dress all over again.

Apparently people online are getting into it over whether this robotic voice is saying 'Yanny" or "Laurel". Personally, I hear "Yanny." I've been listening to it for a few minutes on a loop and can't figure out how it's heard as "Laurel".

Turn the sound on your computer up louder. The bass will kick in and you should hear Laurel. Turn the sound down to where the bass isn't working, and you will hear Yanny. Hit it just right in the middle and you can kind of hear both.

It doesn't work if you have crappy speakers.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
It's the blue/black/white/gold dress all over again.

Apparently people online are getting into it over whether this robotic voice is saying 'Yanny" or "Laurel". Personally, I hear "Yanny." I've been listening to it for a few minutes on a loop and can't figure out how it's heard as "Laurel".
I'm the opposite; all I hear is "Laurel", and I can't imagine how it could be heard as "Yanny" :)

oleada

I only hear Laurel! I can’t believe people can hear Yanny....

Now the question is whether there’s any relation to whether you saw the dress as blue or white.;)

quartz

scratching at the light
On my ipad which counts as crappy speakers, at less than half volume, it’s Yanny - turn it up louder and it’s Laurel. And I am a half deaf person, so sometimes I don’t get the full range of sounds.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I hear Yanny no matter how loud I put my speakers. They are the built-in ones on my laptop though.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I hear Laurel loud and clear - my GF hears Yalie. Neither can hear the other at all. We tried different volume settings and even moved around the room. Far away I could kind of hear it as Glora or Flora, but no Yanny.

ETA: I went back and listened through another link an hour later, with headphones, and ALL I can hear is Yanny, with it converting to Yalie after about 15 seconds. I pulled out my headphones and went to listen on the link in this thread, and it's the same thing - Yanny. :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I'm the opposite; all I hear is "Laurel", and I can't imagine how it could be heard as "Yanny" :)

Same! So weird.

One coworker also heard Laurel, two said Yalie (same PC/headphones and volume).

Susan1

Same! So weird.

One coworker also heard Laurel, two said Yalie (same PC/headphones and volume).
I've seen it on t.v. several times (good speakers), and I hear yanny. I tried to think laurel while it was playing and I just don't hear that.

Gazpacho

Turn the sound on your computer up louder. The bass will kick in and you should hear Laurel. Turn the sound down to where the bass isn't working, and you will hear Yanny. Hit it just right in the middle and you can kind of hear both.

It doesn't work if you have crappy speakers.
My husband and I listened to it together, so same device at same sound settings. I only heard yanny, and he only heard laurel.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
It's a couple of hours later and I listened again, with headphones, and only head Laurel, no possibility of Yanny or Yalie, no matter the volume. weeeeeiirrrdd

UGG

I heard Laurel then listened again and heard Yanny now I can hear both at the same time. Laurel is low pitch and Yanny is high pitched 😂

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Officemate just brought this up! She played it on her phone - we both heard "Laurel"

VGThuy

It's always "Yammy" to me no matter where I watch it. Even in videos where they play with the bass and whatever to show you how it changes, I don't hear anything but Yammy. At least with the white/gold...blue/black thing I was able to see both once I worked at it. This one is sort of bothering me, haha.

oleada

It's always "Yammy" to me no matter where I watch it. Even in videos where they play with the bass and whatever to show you how it changes, I don't hear anything but Yammy. At least with the white/gold...blue/black thing I was able to see both once I worked at it. This one is sort of bothering me, haha.

No matter what I do, I only hear Laurel. And no matter how hard I tried, the dress was only white and gold. I do not think my brain is very flexible.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
And listening to it today, on the same link and same laptop, all I hear is "Yammy"!! I feel like someone is doing a massive gaslighting!

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Last edited:

VGThuy

Just to be contrary, I always see the dress as blue/gold instead of white/gold or blue/black.

When I listened on my computer and phone I heard Yammy. However, I found a video on twitter that plays around with the frequency and I was able to hear both Laurel and Yammy.

https://twitter.com/iSigFreud/status/996748100147597318

FINALLY, I hear Laurel!

ETA: Just checked the original and now it sounds like "Laurel" and not "yammy" any more!

vgerdes

Listened to it several times, all I heard was "Laurel." The vote was pretty evenly split among my coworkers, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information