Who Was the Best Television Character of All Time?

Tinami Amori

All my favs and role models/influences.... :D
In Russia (until age of 14)
  • Mowgli and Bageera
  • Clever Rabbit (from Ну Погоди! Watch out!)
  • Flipper
  • Lassie
  • Peppi Langstrump
  • Cpt. Nemo (J.V.’s novel on TV)
  • Ostap Bender (adventurer from “12 Chairs”)
  • Janek the Tank operator (fr Polish TV series “4 Tank-men and a Dog”)
After Russia 14+ (shows fr USA, UK, Italy, Germany, etc..)
  • Mr. Spock/USA
  • Mrs. Peel/UK
  • James West/Wild Wild West/US
  • Sabrina/Bewitched/US
  • Fonzie/Happy Days/US
  • Fallon/Dynasty/USA
  • Sonny Corinthos/Gen. Hospital/US
  • Hercule Poirot/UK
  • Corrado Cattani/La Piovra/IT
  • Commissario Brunetti/GER
  • Sherlock Holmes/UK
  • Lovejoy/UK
  • Don Draper/Mad Men/US
  • Zeeva David/NCIS/US
  • Bertie Wooster/Jeeves and Wooster/UK

Last edited:

Cachoo

Chris from Northern Exposure
Reader, poet, philosopher with not even a HS diploma. Hottest man in Alaska. Piano-flinger.

Woof! (How I miss Northern Exposure)

I love that supporting characters in programs are also mentioned. Where would we be without Carlton the Doorman?

Someone mentioned Omar from "The Wire" and I think he is easily the one supporting character I'll never forget: And Aubrey Plaza in "Parks and Rec" was one of the reasons I watched faithfully. She was so bizarre and I loved her.

Last edited:

smurfy

CJ Craig on West Wing
Joyce Davenport on Hill Street Blues
Mrs. Peel
Catwoman (Julie Newmar)
Mr. Spock
Kate on Lost
and of course, Colin Firth as Darcy in the BBC Pride and Prejudice

How could I forget Mrs Peel. As a young girl in the 60s - she was the coolest thing!
To adjust to Martin Sheen - just make it the whole cast of the Wet Wing.
Colin Firth - yes!
Captain Jean LucPicard -- Patrick Stewart
Walt Longmire

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
And how could I forget about Matt Houston - Lee Horsely. :swoon: :summer:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Dr. House
Weezy Jefferson
Lucy Ricardo
Charles Emerson Winchester III
Rose Nyland
Claire Huxtable (yeah, he's a dirtbag, but her character still rocked at the time)
Mr. Rogers
Dana Scully

Last edited:

screech

Eli Stone (RIP George Michael! That show should have lasted way more than 2 seasons)

I mentioned Veronica Mars before, but I also have to mention Keith Mars - IMO one of the best TV fathers of all time.

And speaking of TV fathers, I absolutely have to mention Jack Bristow from Alias. He went from seeming like such a huge SOB at the beginning to really being someone who just did absolutely everything out of love for his daughter.

Japanfan

Yes! Maggie Smith in ANYTHING. I've loved her from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie to all the Harry Potter movies.

I agree that Maggie Smith is always wonderful. But I thought her role in Downton was particularly special because she had nine seasons in which to develop her character and the writers made sure to give her lines worthy of her sarcastic delivery.

For example, "I have many friends I don't like". Or, when a young woman who had worked as a prostitute is invited to lunch as Mrs. Crawley's home (IIRC Mrs. Crawley is helping her get out of the trade). Lord Grantham finds out and is furious. But the lunch continues anyway, and the Countess says: "Shame to waste a good pudding".

paskatefan

Archie & Edith Bunker
Alex Keaton
Marcus Welby, MD
Mary Richards & Rhoda Morganstern
Clair Huxtable
Don Adams' character in Get Smart
The cast of WKRP Cincinnati
The cast of Room 222
George & Weezy Jefferson
Carol Burnett
Kermit the Frog
Mr. Rogers

aliceanne

I remember Steed and Mrs. Peel fondly. They were a campy send-up of all the Cold War spy dramas that were so popular in the mid-sixties, but there were some sincere moments. I saw earlier versions of the series with Honor Blackman and it was more noir detective.

Al Bundy/ Married with Children is another show I like to revisit. It was a refreshing change from the too-perfect family that few of us could relate to. Although the Bundys would rather die than admit they cared, you knew deep down inside they did.

Currently I like Sister Michael in Derry Girls. She doesn’t let spirituality get in the way of getting things done.

I like satire as long as it isn’t relentlessly mean-spirited. I don’t relate to shows where people wear their heart on their sleeve, I don’t know adults like that.

VGThuy

It took me a long time to think of somebody who really resonated with me, and after much thought, it really is Liz Lemon from 30 Rock. I mean...the good, bad, and the ugly. Also...*shameful whisper* Ally McBeal planted the seed of being a lawyer in my head when I was in middle school */shameful whisper* So yeah...

screech

It took me a long time to think of somebody who really resonated with me, and after much thought, it really is Liz Lemon from 30 Rock. I mean...the good, bad, and the ugly.
Liz Lemon! YES! I love that she was so unashamedly nerdy/dorky and was a smart lady boss. She had her quirks, but that's what made her so lovable. Also love that her eventual husband Criss Chros (had to double check his spelling) absolutely adored her for who she was.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
A few little-known ones:

Patricia Wettig as Nancy on thirtysomething was amazing.

William Daniels as Dr. Craig on St. Elsewhere.

And she wasn’t a character, but Gwen Ifill was the best TV moderator ever

kedrin

Sally Rogers from the Dick Van Dyke show. A very early example of a career woman. I'm also going to add Selma Hacker from Night Court- played by Selma Diamond, who was an early comedy writer for TV, in addition to being an actor. Sally was based on her.

smurfy

A few little-known ones:
And she wasn’t a character, but Gwen Ifill was the best TV moderator ever

ITA - loved her on Washington Week. I have watched that show for years before she was on, and now it is hard to watch without, sames with the PBS NewsHour. She is someone you would want as your best friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information