Which Non-Russian Lady has the best chance of stopping a Russian Ladies Sweep in the 2022 Olympics?

Which Non-Russian lady has the best chance of stopping a Russian ladies sweep in the 2022 Olympics?

• Alysa Liu

Votes: 45 31.5%
  • Rika Kihira

Votes: 34 23.8%
  • Kaori Sakamoto

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • Bradie Tennell

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Karen Chen

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • A Korean lady

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 20 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Just chill, guys. I believe that the question of this topic will be answered as the Sr Grand Prix progresses. WHO may be the highest-performing non-Russian who goes up against a top-ranked Russian woman in SkCan and other events packed with Women’s talent...I mean the Big Six in #TeamEteri + Tuktamysheva...not Sinitsyna, Samodurova and other Russians in the 2nd tier.

It also will be interesting to see how “Non-Russia Russians” fare. In this argument, we tend to forget all of the big talent in all of the former-USSR countries...Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Ukraine, etc. Top-ten Olympic & Worlds material there.

What used to be THE USSR could conceivably place seven of the top 10 in Beijing 2022:

Three Russians
One Belarussian
One Georgian
One Estonian
One Ukrainian

PeterG

I'm not sure who really sees Alyssa as the no. 4 US lady. So no, that's not what AA was arguing. :)

Umm...everybody? At the most recent competition where the U.S. ladies all got to compete against one another, Alyssa Liu was expected to retain her crown from the previous year. Instead, she failed so poorly, she doubled her way right off the entire podium. A repeat performance of THAT will get her a nice twelfth place finish at the Olympics.

Vagabond

Umm...everybody? At the most recent competition where the U.S. ladies all got to compete against one another, Alyssa Liu was expected to retain her crown from the previous year. Instead, she failed so poorly, she doubled her way right off the entire podium. A repeat performance of THAT will get her a nice twelfth place finish at the Olympics.
She went through puberty last season. Have you watched any of her performances this season? She is quite a different skater in every way from what she was like back in January of this year.

Sylvia

TBD
Instead, she failed so poorly, she doubled her way right off the entire podium.
Alysa won the pewter medal :) - 2nd through 4th were VERY close at 2021 Nationals: Amber 144.50 in FS/215.33, Karen 143.99 in FS/214.98, Alysa 137.03 in FS/213.39 (ETA that Alysa's only problematic jumping pass that received negative GOE in her FS was 2F+1Eu+3S<<).

Alysa has had the best international showing of the U.S. women to date in the current season, winning Cranberry Cup, Lombardia Trophy & Nebelhorn Trophy.

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

Do you just really like being wrong? Or is this a special occasion for you?

Sylvia

TBD
Loena Hendrickx won her first GP medal (bronze) today in Torino in a pretty close finish with Mai Mihara (4th for the second straight week) - really enjoyed both of their performances. :)

Maybe we can use this thread for 2022 Olympics-potential women's discussion?

ETA current top 14 women on ISU SB total list after GP #3 in Italy:
1 Kamila VALIEVA RUS ISU GP Skate Canada International 2021 (gold) 265.08
2 Anna SHCHERBAKOVA RUS ISU GP Gran Premio d'Italia 2021 (gold) 236.78
3 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2021 (silver) 233.30
4 Sofia AKATEVA RUS ISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 2021 233.08 J
5 Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS ISU GP Skate America 2021 (gold) 232.37
6 Maiia KHROMYKH RUS ISU GP Gran Premio d'Italia 2021 (silver) 226.35
7 Alysa LIU USA ISU CS Lombardia Trophy 2021 (gold) 219.24 (206.53 in her GP debut at Skate Canada)
8 Loena HENDRICKX BEL ISU GP Gran Premio d'Italia 2021 (bronze) 219.05
9 Alena KOSTORNAIA RUS ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2021 (bronze) 218.83
10 Daria USACHEVA RUS ISU GP Skate America 2021 (silver) 217.31
11 Young YOU KOR ISU GP Skate America 2021 (bronze) 216.97
12 Veronika ZHILINA RUS ISU JGP Kosice 2021 216.92 J
13 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN ISU GP Skate America 2021 (4th) 215.93
14 Mai MIHARA JPN ISU GP Gran Premio d'Italia 2021 (4th) 214.95

Last edited:

Marco

Loena Hendrickx won her first GP medal (bronze) today in Torino in a pretty close finish with Mai Mihara (4th for the second straight week) - really enjoyed both of their performances. :)

Maybe we can use this thread for 2022 Olympics-potential women's discussion?

ETA current top 14 women on ISU SB total list after GP #3 in Italy:
1 Kamila VALIEVA RUS ISU GP Skate Canada International 2021 (gold) 265.08
2 Anna SHCHERBAKOVA RUS ISU GP Gran Premio d'Italia 2021 (gold) 236.78
3 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2021 (silver) 233.30
4 Sofia AKATEVA RUS ISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 2021 233.08 J
5 Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS ISU GP Skate America 2021 (gold) 232.37
6 Maiia KHROMYKH RUS ISU GP Gran Premio d'Italia 2021 (silver) 226.35
7 Alysa LIU USA ISU CS Lombardia Trophy 2021 (gold) 219.24 (206.53 in her GP debut at Skate Canada)
8 Loena HENDRICKX BEL ISU GP Gran Premio d'Italia 2021 (bronze) 219.05
9 Alena KOSTORNAIA RUS ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2021 (bronze) 218.83
10 Daria USACHEVA RUS ISU GP Skate America 2021 (silver) 217.31
11 Young YOU KOR ISU GP Skate America 2021 (bronze) 216.97
12 Veronika ZHILINA RUS ISU JGP Kosice 2021 216.92 J
13 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN ISU GP Skate America 2021 (4th) 215.93
14 Mai MIHARA JPN ISU GP Gran Premio d'Italia 2021 (4th) 214.95
Thanks Sylvia. So the top 2 non-RUS women at this stage of the season are Alysa and Loena. And since only 3 Russian women can compete at the Olympics, Alysa is statistically the most likely to stop a Russian women sweep at the Olympics (at this stage) - although she is still a good 15 points away from Liza's score...

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Outside Liu and Hendrickx I wouldn't count You or Sakamoto out? both of them has higher PB than Liu and Hendrickx. We also don't know what shape Tenell and Kihira will be in by February.

But no matter, I do think whoever Russia sends are very likely to sweep, unless they have multiple blunders and mistakes. But that can happen, of course.

museksk8r

Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy
The lackluster performances and deteriorating health of Trusova and Shcherbakova as displayed at Nationals should have been a wake-up call to the rest of the world that the Olympic silver and bronze medals are not yet claimed by the Russian team. I would be absolutely stunned if an international Olympic panel of judges turn a blind eye to all those under-rotations that Sasha and Anna produced at Nationals. Their scoring was absolutely ridiculous for those performances and an international panel will not be so kind. I would love to see Kaori and Wakaba crash the podium party at the Olympics! They were both an absolute joy to watch at their Nationals!

DreamSkates

The lackluster performances and deteriorating health of Trusova and Shcherbakova as displayed at Nationals should have been a wake-up call to the rest of the world that the Olympic silver and bronze medals are not yet claimed by the Russian team. I would be absolutely stunned if an international Olympic panel of judges turn a blind eye to all those under-rotations that Sasha and Anna produced at Nationals. Their scoring was absolutely ridiculous for those performances and an international panel will not be so kind. I would love to see Kaori and Wakaba crash the podium party at the Olympics! They were both an absolute joy to watch at their Nationals!
I would think and hope that every judge is aware of inflated scores at most national championships. And that they will make every effort to fairly evaluate every skate, equally. Any and all UR should be called as such.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Based on their nationals, I think Sakamoto and Higuchi are both capable of winning medals in the Olympics. The Russian ladies, except Valieva, are oddly vulnerable.

alj5

Now that Rika is out, I'm leaning towards Young You or Kaori Sakamoto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information