WEAVER AND POJE: The Future is Golden

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I love WeaPo's new programs and look forward to seeing them again (with new costumes?) at Skate Canada. It's always fun to see the progression of skaters' programs as the season goes along. I think their SD is just fine, just needs more performances of it to get that speed and precision. I love the Spartacus music and the program is beautiful. I am a little concerned with the ending, it needs a little more something for an Olympic program. I'm not sure what at this point but it just feels like there could be something more. But I'm excited to see them again this weekend! Wishing them all the best!

~tapdancer~

Whoa, I just saw a tweet from Beverly Smith saying that they are going back to "Je Suis Malade" for their FD, leaving Spartacus behind for a while. wow. I'm not complaining, Je Suis Malade, was amazing and they are even better skaters now than when they originally did it. So I'm super excited to see the new version! It's all over Twitter now so it's for real!

Rafter

Great idea. I loved the Spartacus number but Malade is special.

They probably figure if the Shibutanis and Papadakis/Cizeron skate the same type of FD year after year, going back to an old program is not the end of the world.

~tapdancer~

Lots of talk on social media about their decision! Which is a good thing. Really liked Beverly Smith's interview piece, good explanation for their decision and I agree with Kaitlyn that they are different skaters now, with more maturity and life experience, it will only make this FD even more special. I hope they will revisit Spartacus but for the Olympic season, this was an excellent decision and I'm very much excited to see it!

Marta24

puglover

I hope Kaitlyn has a similar dress to the original one for "Je Suis Malade". I know not everyone liked it but I personally thought it was a stand out and so appropriate for the theme. Even the off the shoulder strap designed to look like it was falling off said hot and steamy love affair gone bad. I think it was when they skated it at Worlds that Kaitlyn's hair started to come loose and she cut her knee that she really looked like she had come through a battle of the sexes. Not saying they have to reenact that, but it was moving.

RoseRed

I wonder if when it says that Spartacus will return sometime, that's a hint that they aren't planning to retire. I know it could just be for shows or as an ex, of course.

Shayii

I didn't know how I felt with them going back to Je Suis Malade, but seeing the FD practice made me remember how much I loved that FD when they first debuted it back then. Looking forward to seeing it over the season.

double runner

Maybe they weren't quite ready at ACI when they debuted Spartacus but to me it felt flat. Today, watching them practice Je Suis Malade, it just felt right-it suits them perfectly.

I don't think of them as reusing the same program, rather just the music. They've developed so much over 6 years and coupled with the changes in rules, I think it will feel more new than old.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I hope Kaitlyn has a similar dress to the original one for "Je Suis Malade". I know not everyone liked it but I personally thought it was a stand out and so appropriate for the theme. Even the off the shoulder strap designed to look like it was falling off said hot and steamy love affair gone bad. I think it was when they skated it at Worlds that Kaitlyn's hair started to come loose and she cut her knee that she really looked like she had come through a battle of the sexes. Not saying they have to reenact that, but it was moving.

Indeed. W/P's Je Suis Malade at 2012 Worlds almost looks like a hint of the P/C aesthetic well before P/C aesthetic was a twinkle in M-F Dubreuil's eyes. ;) It was back when P/C were still striving to find their way in Juniors -- before Haguenauer's tutelage too.

Kaitlyn's strap and dress would need to be constructed a bit better though. Close-ups on the floppy strap and the skin-colored doppelganger spoil the illusion.

ETA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDxwGQMf7W0&feature=youtu.be

Already finding back WeaPo. I want to see the final result, but I prefer those kind of FDs for them.

Yes, a nice look for W/P. And the styling of Kaitlyn's updated dress is well done. The strap falls nicely. Apparently, they still need the skin-colored one to hold the dress in place though. I like the tailoring details on Poje's shirt, and of course his pants are more streamlined than the looser style of 2012.

Last edited:

~tapdancer~

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yep, Kaitlyn and Andrew had a connection back in 2012 with this program, but it kind of got lost a little with their growing pains and trying to find the right vehicles for continued growth. Last season, they broke through on a deeper emotional level with their renewed commitment. They were wonderful at WTT earlier this year. I'm excited to see the growth of their new Je Suis Malade. I see more heartfelt passion and expressiveness on their faces, and it's hard won.

Good luck WeaPo! :cheer2:

puglover

Not sure this is a good draw for them for the short dance. They are sandwiched in between V/M and H/D - both coached in Montreal and both with great audience response. W/P's amazing long limbs are so impressive live. All the best to them!

Rafter

Not sure this is a good draw for them for the short dance. They are sandwiched in between V/M and H/D - both coached in Montreal and both with great audience response. W/P's amazing long limbs are so impressive live. All the best to them!

My sense at practice yesterday was W/P had more audience support after their FD than V/M or H/D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information