WEAVER AND POJE: The Future is Golden

Mad for Skating

I was just trying to think about what they could improve to get better marks in the FD at Worlds, as I really want them to get another Worlds medal. I think there is a place for that in their fan thread.

Thank you, chantilly.

It’s okay to love a team but dislike a program. We just try to keep it extra positive in this thread.

lauravvv

Mad for Skating - I don't dislike W/P's FD. In my original post I actually wrote that I like it. And it's true - it's definitely a lovely program, just not among my favorite FDs of theirs or the favorite FDs of this season (which there are very few of, to be honest). To me, it also pales in comparison to their RD which, in my (in this case very popular) opinion, is one of the best this season - I'd say, top two along with P/C's.

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I wonder if W&P's FD would have had more impact if they hadn't returned to Je Suis Malade last year? It's a different mood/performance despite being dramatic French music, but... when G&P pull out a big step up for them, W&P's FD may not have the same punch. I still enjoy it more than Vincent, but that's just personal taste.

Mad for Skating

Mad for Skating - I don't dislike W/P's FD. In my original post I actually wrote that I like it. And it's true - it's definitely a lovely program, just not among my favorite FDs of theirs or the favorite FDs of this season (which there are very few of, to be honest). To me, it also pales in comparison to their RD which, in my (in this case very popular) opinion, is one of the best this season - I'd say, top two along with P/C's.

I gotcha! My favorite is still always going to be Malade.

Sylvia

TBD
@alilou originally posted this audio link to CBC's Players Own Voice podcast interview with Kaitlyn in the Canadian Dance news thread:

https://podcast-a.akamaihd.net/mp3/podcasts/playersownvoice-H6FKYOq6-20181110.mp3

Kaitlyn Weaver on turning setbacks into successes [mp3 file: runs 00:23:07]

Kaitlyn Weaver is one of Canada's most celebrated figure skaters. But the three time world champion, two time Canadian champion, and two time Olympian's road to success hasn't always been a smooth ride. Kaitlyn and her partner, Andrew Poje, missed being on the Canadian Figure Skating Team Event that won gold at PyeongChang - but turned the disappointment around almost immediately with killer performances at the worlds. Listen as Kaitlyn opens up about the highs and lows of her career, how she finds motivation in the setbacks, and what Canada has come to mean for the American born skater.

Host Anastasia Bucsis, Two-time Canadian Olympic speedskater, brings her unique backstory to funny, friendly conversations with high performance athletes. No formulaic jock talk here ... these are buddies who understand each other, and help us do the same.

Emdee

I am sure they were disappointed but why would Skate Canada field a second string team who had very little chance of an Olympic medal when VM needed the additional exposure on Olympic ice?

An olympic medal is not awarded for good behaviour but for exceptional performances. They are talented and charming skaters who may have been undermarked but I do not believe they were ever in the same level as VM.

I do not like this pity party that they were overshadowed in their careers either. They had a choice and made a choice to continue to skate.

I guess ubers can shoot me down but my opinion stands.

Last edited:

starrynight

Often the stories of those athletes who are *almost there* and the sacrifices and disappointments they go through are just as interesting and valid as the victory laps of the minuscule group of athletes who win.

Just sick to death of this view that no one is allowed to talk of their disappointments and all teams except the gold medalists should be silenced.

As a fan of Weaver/Poje, I want to hear about their experiences in full. This is about them and their own story for once.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

I am sure they were disappointed but why would Skate Canada field a second string team who had very little chance of an Olympic medal when VM needed the additional exposure on Olympic ice?

An olympic medal is not awarded for good behaviour but for exceptional performances. They are talented and charming skaters who may have been undermarked but I do not believe they were ever in the same level as VM.

I do not like this pity party that they were overshadowed in their careers either. They had a choice and made a choice to continue to skate.

Fine for you to have an opinion, but can you keep it out of the fan thread? Only good vibes allowed here, thanks.

VGThuy

I really enjoyed listening to Kaitlyn's interview on that podcast. I think hearing people air out their truths, especially ones in the shadow, is just as compelling as other people who have been in the spotlight winning accolades. She doesn't say anything negative about V/M at all and in fact said that V/M were just not Canada no. 1 but were a team of a generation or something like that. So she herself understands why V/M always had the spotlight and understood why the team event selection went down the way it did. She even says the hope she and Andrew had that they'd be able to do the FD at the Team Event may have been wrong to have since logically we all probably knew V/M would do both phases as Canada was in the running for gold and V/M was a near-guaranteed first place for both phases with the Shibs being a buffer between Canada and silver medalist Russia. However, that doesn't mean what she has to say regarding what she went through during that period is invalid. Those feelings are real and I bet many people can relate to that since we've all been in that position of being passed over by people who are simply perceived "better" even though we have hope we may come out on top at times.

starrynight

And the shadow due to competing for the same country at the same time is very real.

For example, people could say ‘I really love Hubbell/Donohue’ ... and no one would come rushing in immediately out of nowhere for a lengthy discussion about why Virtue/Moir (or P/C) are better.

And here we are again (for the thousandth time) having to reassure people about V/Ms status as number one just to even mention Weaver/Poje’s names. It's just beyond frustrating and has the unhappy side-effect of basically shutting down any attempt at talking about Kaitlyn and Andrew themselves.

Last edited:

barbarafan

And the shadow due to competing for the same country at the same time is very real.

For example, people could say ‘I really love Hubbell/Donohue’ ... and no one would come rushing in immediately out of nowhere for a lengthy discussion about why Virtue/Moir (or P/C) are better.

And here we are again (for the thousandth time) having to reassure people about V/Ms status as number one just to even mention Weaver/Poje’s names. It's just beyond frustrating and has the unhappy side-effect of basically shutting down any attempt at talking about Kaitlyn and Andrew themselves.
So true...They love V/M and have never in any way in any competition felt or said they should have won. It is just fate that at the exact time they competed...V/M also competed. They are allowed to express how hard over the years to keep plugging on but also acknowledging that it has made them the wonderful empathetic people they are. Scott helped them on their 2018/2019 programs a lot to make them better during the tour and was in their court all the way.

puglover

Back in 2015 Kaitlyn and Andrew won Skate Canada in Lethbridge beating the Shibs and B/S from Russia who were on the comeback trail. They were so regal and amazing. I happened to go to a downtown bistro with friends and in walked K/A with their families. The path looked straight and bright to 2018. I am sure nobody would have predicted all that would change, including the return of V/M. If there is some disappointment in how things played out for them, I think that is more than understandable. However, I remember how sincerely touched they seemed to be as they were so applauded in that little bistro and I think they are the genuine article - jut lovely people. On a shallow note - I love Kaitlyn's style and would love to know more about how she maintains that gorgeous figure.

barbarafan

I think WeaPo 100% had the right to be upset about V/M’s comeback. Papadakis/Cizeron weren’t exactly thrilled about it either. You have to deal with it when it happens, but I don’t hold it against either couple for being frustrated.
I can understand them being discouraged when they were told V/M would be competing but upset or indignant and any other emotion like Carol Lane tried to play up no. They never retired and always said they had unfinished business but needed a break first. Each yr they evaluated and the first yr they were on the team although took no funding. This whole thing of a comeback from retirement was Carol Lane and the media. They also made announcement early in the yr b4 anyone had made decisions about programs, changes etc. so they could choose with knowing in the fall they would be faced with V/M again. W/P had also grown in those 2 yrs and had more tools to fight with. I feel really bad that their whole career they had such obstacles which they have come through and still are just beautiful people with amazing chemistry. I know during the beginning yrs it was made quite clear that they are not a couple but I had hoped that had changed so I am sad. I wonder if when their competitive career ends if they will stay in figureskating in some way...coaching or in other ways together. I hope so.

Mad for Skating

I can understand them being discouraged when they were told V/M would be competing but upset or indignant and any other emotion like Carol Lane tried to play up no. They never retired and always said they had unfinished business but needed a break first. Each yr they evaluated and the first yr they were on the team although took no funding. This whole thing of a comeback from retirement was Carol Lane and the media. They also made announcement early in the yr b4 anyone had made decisions about programs, changes etc. so they could choose with knowing in the fall they would be faced with V/M again. W/P had also grown in those 2 yrs and had more tools to fight with. I feel really bad that their whole career they had such obstacles which they have come through and still are just beautiful people with amazing chemistry. I know during the beginning yrs it was made quite clear that they are not a couple but I had hoped that had changed so I am sad. I wonder if when their competitive career ends if they will stay in figureskating in some way...coaching or in other ways together. I hope so.

TBH, Carol Lane seems quite harsh on WeaPo. I know she is loyal to Gilles/Poirier (who are also talented in their own right), but she had no right to stir the pot for V/M and WeaPo, who always seemed to get along fairly well.

As for WeaPo, I’m not sure if they are dating, but they do seem very close, I suspected something may have happened in the past couple years. They work very well together and I could see them doing some kind of project together after retirement.

VGThuy

Well Carol Lane did think Weaver/Poje were one of two teams that were undermarked in the Pyeongchang SD. The other team she felt were undermarked was not Gilles/Poirier.

Mad for Skating

She said after the 15-minute mark of her podcast interview with Anastasia Bucsis that they are not dating (in a whisper).

Echoing others, this is an interview well worth listening to.

Oh. That’s okay, I still love them! They’re sweet people and they deserve to find love, whether that’s with each other or with someone else.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

This is just nuts. What W/P has done is simply talking about THEIR feeling of being disappointed. Yes yes yes we know your fave is the better team, but not everything has to be about V/M. Skaters less successful than Tessa and Scott have feelings too, how surprising! :shuffle:

Last edited:

Emdee

This is just nuts. What W/P has done is simply talking about THEIR feeling of being disappointed. Yes yes yes we know your fave is the better team, but not everything has to be about V/M. Skaters less successful than Tessa and Scott have feelings too, how surprising! :shuffle:
I don’t see any problems in them talking about their feelings.
Everything is not about VM.
I love some of WP performances and also some of GP.

What I felt uncomfortable with was a feeling of life not treating her well that she projected when she said that they didn’t get the team gold and were in VMs shadow. In the heyday of Russian ice dance and pairs this was the norm with so many very talented skaters jockeying for position.

GP could make the same point as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information