Virtual Worlds

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Saw this amazing idea from Kristi Yamaguchi on twitter:

Love this. It would be fun to see everyone's programs one more time and could put a little closure on the season.

Can someone make this happen, please?

mjb52

I think it's a well intentioned idea on the one hand but on the other, I worry about applying a sort of collective pressure on skaters to do this. Different people may want to deal with this in a different way but if a lot of people pick this up, it might make skaters who just want to rest and take some time to process what's happened feel like they have to come up with a video and realistically like it will be judged by fans and compared to others. I don't think I would like that personally, it would feel like an extra source of stress for me.

aftershocks

Banned Member
This virtual idea should be considered fun, no pressure. It could be creative and a release for the athletes as well. Not everyone has to take part, ya know. Not a requirement. Just a fun way to engage fans and to bring a bit of closure, as we really don't know if ultimately 2020 Worlds will ever take place. The logistics are really not in favor of such a major event being rescheduled, even in the fall. So much is up in the air at the moment.

Orm Irian

When I saw the thread title it made me think of that old Press Gang episode where they had to get the paper printed before a soccer match because of a strike or something, so they 'played' a predictive game using stats and tiddlywinks and reported on that.

Hey, we could do something like that...D & D skating? Get protocols for each skater, figure out their common errors, nine independent fans around the world roll dice to assign GOE? :lol: PCS would be trickier, but maybe dartboards...

floridaice

I'd like to see a 'competition' using exhibition programs. Different categories for comedy and drama.

Or categories for programs using warhorse music, Buble programs, etc.

skatingguy

decently
I'm sorry to throw cold water on this idea, because I love it. The City of Toronto has just closed all municipal facilities in the city including rinks, and I wonder how far behind the private facilities will be in doing the same. I think it's likely that most skaters will not be able to get on an ice rink by early next week anywhere.

bardtoob

I'm sorry to throw cold water on this idea, because I love it. The City of Toronto has just closed all municipal facilities in the city including rinks, and I wonder how far behind the private facilities will be in doing the same. I think it's likely that most skaters will not be able to get on an ice rink by early next week anywhere.

If they are high level skaters, somebody can give them the keys or let a dozen people in.

Bellanca

I think the suggestion of a virtual (no judge) World champs is quite unique and would be a nice break for both competitors and fans.

No judging equals no manipulated or over-inflated scores, no K&C drama (I know, I know, some of you live for that! 😜) etc., etc. Not too shabby. 😎 Count me in!

Kristi’s silver lining in the no World’s cloud could be a lot of fun. Hope this comes together somehow. If not, it is still a unique and brilliant idea to think of something so original with the best intentions in mind for skaters and fans, alike.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

When I saw the thread title it made me think of that old Press Gang episode where they had to get the paper printed before a soccer match because of a strike or something, so they 'played' a predictive game using stats and tiddlywinks and reported on that.

Hey, we could do something like that...D & D skating? Get protocols for each skater, figure out their common errors, nine independent fans around the world roll dice to assign GOE? :lol: PCS would be trickier, but maybe dartboards...

Gosh, that takes me back to being a teenager.

I used to watch Press Gang, Degrassi High, and Grange Hill all the time.

Not to mention The Goodies, Dr Who, and Monkey Madness as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information