Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Irina Slutskaya

Erin

Banned Member
I normally don't appreciate programs if they are kept longer than a year, but Slutskaya should have kept her 2005 programs for Torino.

Her free program was already two years old at that point, so it would have been a bit much to keep it for another season (granted, I think she only skated it at Worlds during 2003-04). She could have kept the SP, although it was the free program that was weaker as a program IMO in 2006. Maybe she should have done what everyone did this Olympic season and started out with a new program and then switched back to the old one right before the Olympics.

Katarzyna

I know her win at Worlds in 2005 was probably the highlight of her career, but for me her Serenade sp in 2002 was the best she ever skated.
I’ve always thought and still think that Irina should have won the SP in SLC which would have meant she won the OG under the old judging system. But reading in that interview she would then have quitted immediately, I’m happy she didn’t win cause in that case we missed some great programs she performed later on. :)

SpeedySucks

For all her kvetching about the results when she didn't win, she neglects to mention things like the giant gift she got in the SP at 2005 Worlds, where there were clean programs from the ladies in 2nd through 9th, but somehow Irina was in 1st after a botched combo and a spin mistake. It might not have mattered in the long run, as she won the LP by a large amount, in spite of doing too many triple loops - although even there, I think she got the benefit of the doubt, this time from the tech panel, as she should have had her whole triple loop-double loop jumping pass invalidated under the rules at the time, but it appears from the protocols that she still got credit for the double loop.

Yes - or the 01-02 GPF in Kitchener where she skated quite poorly in the final free skate but still not only won but won that portion of the competition over Kwan and Hughes, who had fewer mistakes. You could make the argument that she still deserved to win that event, but there’s no way she should have won that free skate.

Japanfan

So the tie was not a win? Did B/S and S/P have to split the difference and each of them could only claim 1.5th instead of 1st place? :p

Yes, the tie was a win. But I always think of it as a shared win or a shared gold, rather than saying either team won.

I mean they still won so no, it's not incorrect. They won initially, and even a shared gold is still a win. And I also think you know what I meant as well but for some reason feel like correcting me.

No, what I said above.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
WOWWWW.... my favorite Russian figure skater.

How cool that you translated all this... I got to learn so much more about her life and times....

She was being told by a police officer how she burned Maria Butyrskaya's car?? Wow.....

What sticks in my mind is that there was no money.. and when they did promise her money they still spent it elsewhere....

However I dont think that Elena and Anton were far superior to S&P. I dont was to rehash this part at all here..but I disagree so much.. maybe its just a cultural thing.. She grew up Russian and preferred the Russian style, while I grew up North American and could identify with that style.

But the last thing that sticks out in my mind.. is I am SO CURIOUS to know which girl called her at the airport and wished her to f*ck up at The Olympics.... ohhhh, I want that answer.

I would also loved to see her sitting down with Maria recently..and see how they are as friends!

Japanfan

However I dont think that Elena and Anton were far superior to S&P. I dont was to rehash this part at all here..but I disagree so much.. maybe its just a cultural thing.. She grew up Russian and preferred the Russian style, while I grew up North American and could identify with that style.

It's possible to appreciate the Russian, western, and Chinese styles of pairs skating.

Although I was never a big fan of T/M (Tot and Mar) and found them to be about as exciting as watching pain dry, when I watch the pairs skaters do their jumps, I'm often reminded of T/M's amazing unison. Something I haven't seen for quite a while.

Bonjour Sherry

I don't think that the pairs' different styles was what should have made the difference -- what should have made the difference is that Elena and Anton have better basics and a far more complex program, objectively speaking. However, I did appreciate Love Story and it was delivered to perfection at Salt Lake.

Tinami Amori

But the last thing that sticks out in my mind.. is I am SO CURIOUS to know which girl called her at the airport and wished her to f*ck up at The Olympics.... ohhhh, I want that answer.
"to poop her pants at the Olympics" to be exact... Kristina Oblasova, i am quite sure... :D, given what she, while drunk at a boat party, said to Piseev in front his wife about "being in love with him and wanting to do it", and other shit... that phrase to Slutskaya are "roses".. :p

Here, i found an antique interview from 2004, from the last coach of Oblasova, Victor Kudryavtchev. He explained why Slutskaya is replacing Oblasova in the world team.
https://iz.ru/news/288079

"Накануне чемпионата мира наша женская сборная обновилась на две трети - места Татьяны Басовой и Кристины Обласовой заняли Ирина Слуцкая и Виктория Волчкова. Вы уверены в новом составе? - Сложилась такая ситуация, что другого выбора не было. - Настолько плохи дела у нашего "второго эшелона"? - Кристина Обласова - талантливая девочка, но тренируется она очень слабо. Поэтому она так и выступает. Перестроится, найдет в себе силы, чтобы работать так, как работает Соколова, Слуцкая или Солдатова, которые прокатывают на тренировках по две программы каждый день, тогда будут результаты. Она - моя подопечная, но я первым сказал, что на чемпионате мира ей делать нечего."

"Just before the WC, our ladies' team is 2/3 renewed - Tatiana Basova and Kristina Oblasova are replaced by Irina Slutskaya and Victoria Volchkova. Are we sure of the new replacements? - the situation is as such, there was no other choice. How bad were things with the second echelon? - well, Kristina Oblasova is a talented girl, but very weak (lazy) when it comes to practicing. That's why she skates the way she does (badly). (she) needs to reconfigure her approach, to find will in herself to work like Sokolova, Slutskaya, Soldatova, who do full run-throughs on both of their programmes twice a day, then there will be results. She (Oblasova) is my pupil, but i am the first to say, she has no business going to this championship.".

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Kristina Oblasova, i am quite sure... :D, given what she, while drunk at a boat party, said to Piseev in front his wife about "being in love with him and wanting to do it", and other shit... that phrase to Slutskaya are "roses".. :p

Ahhhhh, I always love a good Kristina Oblasova reference. There are some amazing articles in the archives from 2003-2004 where she goes on and on about how much she wanted Massimo Scalli and Brian Joubert. Apparently her FSU nickname was "foxy lady" for a couple years, too. Not to mention she'd spit water out onto the ice before starting her programs, swore loudly in the K&C after placing like 18th in a Euros SP, and claimed she had to leave Chaikovskaya because their astrological signs weren't compatible. :rofl: Good times.

And also, it's kind of surreal to read posts I wrote on FSU 16 years ago. :scream:

Last edited:
S

SmallFairy

Ahhhhh, I always love a good Kristina Oblasova reference. There are some amazing articles in the archives from 2003-2004 where she goes on and on about how much she wanted Massimo Scalli and Brian Joubert. Apparently her FSU nickname was "foxy lady" for a couple years, too. Not to mention she'd spit water out onto the ice before starting her programs, swore loudly in the K&C after placing like 18th in a Euros SP, and claimed she had to leave Chaikovskaya because their astrological signs weren't compatible. :rofl: Good times.

And also, it's kind of surreal to read posts I wrote on FSU 16 years ago. :scream:
I didn't know any of this! She's such an icon😍:glamor: Tell me more!

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I second the order of more Oblasova stories. I also thought of her while reading the interview.

MrMystery

Oblasova was very talented. And she was a hoot...

But in terms of Slute and this article... I've always liked Slute. She was charming, entertaining, and had a solid technical prowess. But this article does come across quite bitter. Not to rehash SLC ladies OR pairs, but she lost the gold due to a very odd night of ladies skating in terms of placements and ordinals and all that jazz.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
But Oblasova was never coached by Gromova, right? So it was some girl from the rink...Gromova had quite a few girls back then including Pingacheva, Nikolaeva, Nelidina, Naidenova, Martynova...

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I didn't know any of this! She's such an icon😍:glamor: Tell me more!

For anyone with access to the archives, here's a thread from 2004:

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/oblasova-russian-interview-translation-needed.11689/

the Kristina Oblasova era

You're being much too generous by calling it an "era". :lol:

I am so happy Oblasova is back in my life :glamor: :drama:

Yes! :cheer: Much better than rehashing SLC yet again (sorry Slute).

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.

muffinplus

That story about the French judge being pressured to vote for B&S always sounded suspect and invented to me to prop up the second gold medal...

Last edited:

VGThuy

I do think Marie-Reine Le Gougne spoke the truth about pressure from Didier and broke down and cried when she admitted it. I also do believe she repeated such things at the judges' post-even review meeting the day after. However, I also found it suspect that Sally Stapleford zoned in on Le Gougne after the event at the officials' hotel lobby. I think Stapleford already had a suspicion about some sort of deal between the French and Russians regarding pairs and ice dance whether they were founded or not and decided that Le Gougne should be interrogated based on nothing more than a gut feeling.

The book The Second Mark goes into more details about witnesses and such observing Didier's behavior and overhearing his conversations before the event and such, but it was so much I honestly don't remember it all.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
It did put the Russian Federation in a bad light and brought scrutiny to the ice dance judging. Two things that benefited the French team A/P. Hmmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information