USFS Qualifying Season Plans

Sylvia

TBD
They said foreign athletes who train in the US cannot compete in this series. Then they said citizenship as of September 1. Does that mean that no foreign athlete can compete, it's only for US citizens? Or does that mean that any Team USA member can compete? Or... My interpretation was US Citizens as of 9/1, or you can't compete. I'd be interested in clarification on this.
Last year Yaroslav Paniot filed a CC-01 non-citizen application and was approved by USFS' Competitions Committee chair to compete in qualifying comps (Regionals/Sectionals, then Nationals). I believe the same rules re. non-USA citizens will apply this season.

concorde

Last year Yaroslav Paniot filed a CC-01 non-citizen application and was approved by USFS' Competitions Committee chair to compete in qualifying comps (Regionals/Sectionals, then Nationals). I believe the same rules re. non-USA citizens will apply this season.
They referenced CC-01 and CC-02. I did not know what they were but they were mentioned.

Last edited:

concorde

5 of the 8 sites selected to participate were the original planned locations for (I believe the competition series?), the rest were based on using the home address data of athletes to identify the most central locations v. where athletes are. Know that this isn't perfect.

5 of the 8 sites were scheduled to be hosting Regionals.

Sylvia

TBD
I count 4 original locations being used for the new format:

Fort Wayne, IN (originally EGL Regionals & Midwestern Dance Challenge)
Alpharetta, GA (originally SA Regionals & Eastern Pairs Challenge)
Norwood, MA (originally Eastern Sectional Singles/Pairs Final on the same dates)
Spokane, WA (originally Pacific Coast Singles/Dance Final on the same dates)

concorde

I count 4 original locations being used for the new format:

Fort Wayne, IN (originally EGL Regionals & Midwestern Dance Challenge)
Alpharetta, GA (originally SA Regionals & Eastern Pairs Challenge)
Norwood, MA (originally Eastern Sectional Singles/Pairs Final on the same dates)
Spokane, WA (originally Pacific Coast Singles/Dance Final on the same dates)
Not disagreeing but they told us 5.

concorde

Many people asked this one: what about the 14 day quarantine period for Massachusetts - especially since that's one of the only two comps that take pairs. Pairs skaters keep asking about the quarantine in Mass., as it determines which competition they'll sign up for when entries open on Monday. The folks holding the meeting are obviously deliberately avoiding the 14 day quarantine period for Massachusetts questions. They absolutely deliberately ignored those questions. Wow.

This is the real issue. Our rink requires (Pennsylvania only recommends but some State requires) that one quarantines for 14 days after returning from a hot sport. Right now both Texas and Georgia are on that list. There is a very good chance that in three months, that list is going to change and who knows what states will be added/dropped. Hmmm ...

Last edited:

meggonzo

Banned Member
At this point, there will be no spectators. There will be a live stream. Jr and Sr will be on NBC Sports Gold. Lower levels on USFS Fanzone.
I'm glad there will be a live stream, but I was hoping they'd allow spectators since I live close to one of the locations.

Carolla5501

Well here's what they should have said in response to the Mass question.

" 72-hour Testing Rule: The individual can produce, upon request, proof of a negative test result for COVID-19 from a test administered on a sample taken no longer than 72 hours before your arrival in Massachusetts. "

Provide that and you are good. Probably should be something they should consider for all events anyway, but I know that getting the quick tests is a problem in some locals.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
The USFS responded to my question about foreign skaters competing. They said that foreign skaters who compete for a non-US federation can't participate in these events. Foreign skaters who compete for the US can. And as with Paniot, if a foreign skater wants to compete for the US, they can submit certain paperwork by 9/1 (per rules 2230 and 2240)

This is not how they said it in the webinar last night.

Last edited:

GarrAargHrumph

" 72-hour Testing Rule: The individual can produce, upon request, proof of a negative test result for *********-19 from a test administered on a sample taken no longer than 72 hours before your arrival in Massachusetts. "

Provide that and you are good. Probably should be something they should consider for all events anyway, but I know that getting the quick tests is a problem in some locals.

I've asked USFS what their refund and etc. policy will be if a skater doesn't get their test result back on time for the comp.

concorde

" 72-hour Testing Rule: The individual can produce, upon request, proof of a negative test result for *********-19 from a test administered on a sample taken no longer than 72 hours before your arrival in Massachusetts. "

The problem here is how to get the results in time.
Some places are taking 6-7 days to get the results. Do you take the test, then hop on a plane and hope you get the results in time for you child to skate.

Our pediatrician can get the results in <24 hr but you need a valid reason. Not sure if a skating competition counts. Not sure how the parent/coach gets the results in a short period of time - if an adult goes through the county, results take 6-7 day and they will not perform the test on those under 18.

Massachusetts is not looking doable unless you live in one of the adjacent states that Massachusetts has declared "low risk."

Not sure why NJ is low risk but PA is high. I thought the case numbers showed the opposite.

acraven

I don't pretend to be up to date on the testing situation, but there has been occasional discussion of the subject on a travel forum I read often. Dual citizens can travel, in some cases, if they can get a quick-turnaround test.

I think the trick is to have the test conducted right at a lab that actually processes specimens. I'm guessing that will not be more expensive than working through a personal physician, but I don't know whether it will be necessary to pay for expedited processing.

I'd recommend working the phones, starting with the family's GP's office, to pull together a list of logistically feasible and affordable options, then checking with the lab(s) again a few days before the test is needed.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Ok while you guys argue the technicalities, dumb fan wants to know if we can watch online or am I buying a hazmat suit and driving to Leesburg?

Thank you!!!!!! Same thing I was wondering!

concorde

I don't pretend to be up to date on the testing situation, but there has been occasional discussion of the subject on a travel forum I read often. Dual citizens can travel, in some cases, if they can get a quick-turnaround test.

I think the trick is to have the test conducted right at a lab that actually processes specimens. I'm guessing that will not be more expensive than working through a personal physician, but I don't know whether it will be necessary to pay for expedited processing.

I'd recommend working the phones, starting with the family's GP's office, to pull together a list of logistically feasible and affordable options, then checking with the lab(s) again a few days before the test is needed.
From what I have heard, going to a doctor's office gets faster results BUT you need a valid reason for the test.

With the County, you do not need a doctor's prescription to get the test BUT you get the 6-7 turn around time.

The above are for those 18 and over. Under 18, you have to go through your pediatrician. Our peditrician is part of the hospital so we can get the results fast.

In this scenario, I can see my daughter getting the results fast enough. My sure about me (mom) and her coach.

acraven

It seems that some Walgreens have their own labs. I'd guess it's not very many of them, but that would be easy to check out.

I'm trying to get additional information from someone who needs to be tested soon before flying out of Washington-Dulles and has done a lot of research. All I've got so far is that there's a lab in Sterling, Virginia.

Last edited:

emilieh

A friend of mine needed to travel and so she had her doctor at home order a test for her in another state (NY or CT, I think). She had to agree to pay for it as insurance wouldn't cover it. The test was ordered at a hospital lab, I believe, where it was supposed to process within 3 days. She ended up getting the result the following day so didn't have to quarantine for long at all. This was last week.

Who knows what procedures will be in November, though.

concorde

The dilemma for opting for Massachusetts if you are coming from a non-low risk state (i.e., the majority of states). Fines are $500 per day.

Do you think you can get three test results back on time - skater, chaperone, and coach? Chaperone is the least important but what happens if you don't get the skater's back on time?

What happens if you do the test at the 72 hour point (maximum time to get results back) from when you expect to be arriving into Massachusetts but your plane gets delayed from a morning flight to an evening flight. Now those results are no good.

If you are a low-risk state now, how do you know that MA will not change it policy over the next couple of months.

I suspect that MA will be mostly MA skaters. For the rest of us, lots if hurdles to cross.

GarrAargHrumph

The dilemma for opting for Massachusetts if you are coming from a non-low risk state (i.e., the majority of states). Fines are $500 per day.

Do you think you can get three test results back on time - skater, chaperone, and coach? Chaperone is the least important but what happens if you don't get the skater's back on time?

What happens if you do the test at the 72 hour point (maximum time to get results back) from when you expect to be arriving into Massachusetts but your plane gets delayed from a morning flight to an evening flight. Now those results are no good.

If you are a low-risk state now, how do you know that MA will not change it policy over the next couple of months.

I suspect that MA will be mostly MA skaters. For the rest of us, lots if hurdles to cross.

Skaters who can go to Massachusetts without having to quarantine include skaters from NY, NJ, CT, VT, NH, HI, ME. The list of states (which no doubt will change over time) can be found here. I'm thinking that skaters from most of New England, and also NY can register for the Mass. competition, and have a decent shot at not having their state come off the list by November, but there's always a risk. USFS says that if a skater can't compete due to COVID - for example, they can't get their test results back on time - they'll refund the entry fee. For singles skaters, they'll also help them find another competition that might work for them. For pairs skaters, they'd do the same, but since there's only one other comp for pairs, and most skaters say they want to do two comps, what probably makes the most sense is for pairs teams to just go ahead and register for both competitions up front.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Ive been way from FSU for a few days...I found this new Challenge series USFSA is peddling to be a bit funny... they are touting "diverse geographical areas"....lol, why? How bout secure a rink where most skaters live during this pandemic to keep risks and traveling down?

I dont know who all these senior level skaters based out of Indiana and Georgia are but seems silly to me.

Soooooooooooooo many skaters in CA but lets make them travel to washington or Nevada. lol

Ice dancers have Indiana or Virginia as their choices? lolz

gkelly

Ive been way from FSU for a few days...I found this new Challenge series USFSA is peddling to be a bit funny... they are touting "diverse geographical areas"....lol, why? How bout secure a rink where most skaters live during this ********* to keep risks and traveling down?

This series is not aimed at senior or elite skaters only. It's for all skaters who would have been eligible to enter regionals (i.e., a few thousand individuals spread out across the country), but with later dates to allow skaters more time to prepare in case their rinks had been closed for months.

And to accommodate skaters who might now be based in different locations from where their home club is -- including some who used to train at training centers and are now home with their parents.

And to choose skaters to compete at Nationals, at junior as well as senior level.

The locations were chosen to spread out across the country so that singles skaters could find an event within a day's drive of wherever they happen to be, although if they're going to take advantage of the opportunity to do two they'd likely need travel further.

Some of the locations had already been scheduled to host regional (on earlier dates) or sectional competitions. Others were added to fill in geographic gaps. I'm sure much negotiation was needed to find appropriately located rinks that could offer sufficient ice time and safety protocols in the general time period, with host clubs willing to organize.

The ice dance locations are actually convenient for a large number of the junior and senior teams from 2020 Nationals who are based in Michigan, Illinois, or New York, Pennsylvania, and DC area.

In case you're interested in where the senior skaters at last year's Nationals were from:

ladies
pairs
dance
men

You can also look up the junior competitors for more geographic variety:

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
This series is not aimed at senior or elite skaters only. It's for all skaters who would have been eligible to enter regionals (i.e., a few thousand individuals spread out across the country), but with later dates to allow skaters more time to prepare in case their rinks had been closed for months.

And to accommodate skaters who might now be based in different locations from where their home club is -- including some who used to train at training centers and are now home with their parents.

And to choose skaters to compete at Nationals, at junior as well as senior level.

The locations were chosen to spread out across the country so that singles skaters could find an event within a day's drive of wherever they happen to be, although if they're going to take advantage of the opportunity to do two they'd likely need travel further.

Some of the locations had already been scheduled to host regional (on earlier dates) or sectional competitions. Others were added to fill in geographic gaps. I'm sure much negotiation was needed to find appropriately located rinks that could offer sufficient ice time and safety protocols in the general time period, with host clubs willing to organize.

The ice dance locations are actually convenient for a large number of the junior and senior teams from 2020 Nationals who are based in Michigan, Illinois, or New York, Pennsylvania, and DC area.

In case you're interested in where the senior skaters at last year's Nationals were from:

ladies
pairs
dance
men

You can also look up the junior competitors for more geographic variety:

Interesting. Thank you.

Still dont know why they dont choose CA since so many skaters are there... IN and VA...not so much. Not a days drive.

concorde

Interesting. Thank you.

Still dont know why they dont choose CA since so many skaters are there... IN and VA...not so much. Not a days drive.
Numbers wise, a good chunk of elite skaters are located in California but at the lower levels, not so. Lower level skaters (juvenile and intermediates) make up the majority of skaters (numbers wise) and these skaters are located on the East Coast.

Skater/parents were asked if USFS created such a series, would you participate. USFS used those responses to determine these locations.

sk8nlizard

Also, GA and VA are a days drive from most of the South Atlantic region. Florida has a LOT of skaters beginner through Intermediate, Georgia has some, as well as it’s only 4-8 hours from NC to Atlanta. This is a large number of people. It’s also easy for people from Tennessee and Alabama to access.
Virginia can get all of the skaters there and in Washington DC as well as Maryland, NC and SC again easily. Delaware and parts of PA are very close to VA as well. This well draw a large number of kids who typically compete at the lower levels, and many elites have buys to Nationals anyways.

GarrAargHrumph

It's not unusual for skaters from NJ to drive down to VA for competitions, and my old dance coach used to go down there to partner girls through dance tests; so I think the VA competition could get skaters from at least as far north as NJ. Likewise, the Massachusetts comp could get skaters out to PA and down to as far south as DC, conceivably, in terms of distance (not in terms of need for quarantine). The east coast seems to have a decent number of choices, but they also have a lot of skaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information