USFS Qualifying Season Plans

Bob Mc

Forgot to mention that only ONE segment will be skated/judged for 2021 Nationals qualification:

Senior Singles Free Skate
Senior Pairs Free Skate
Junior Singles Free Skate
Junior Pairs Free Skate
Junior Free Dance
Will we be able to view the Nationals Qualifying Videos?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Yes, they will be posted on the Fan Zone, I think the week of the 21st.
Just in time for Christmas...and about the time of Russian & Japanese Nationals. What a crazy week, dealing with wild time-zone differences, that will be.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Just in time for Christmas...and about the time of Russian & Japanese Nationals. What a crazy week, dealing with wild time-zone differences, that will be.
I will be lost. I am so
messed up in my brain by being inside all the time I have to ask Alexa what day is it every morning.

I used to at least know that Tues/Thurs I ride. Now I don't even have that.🤢

Sylvia

TBD
Will we be able to view the Nationals Qualifying Videos?
The links I posted last month don't work any more but I copied this part from the original FAQ and a specific date was not mentioned for when the videos will be made public:
VIRTUAL SERIES TIMELINE (As of Nov. 9, 2020. Subject to change)
Excerpts from the FAQ on pages 5-6:
Results will be posted on usfigureskatingfanzone.com upon conclusion of the virtual series (the week of Dec. 21).

Video submissions will be available on public formats including usfigureskatingfanzone.com and NBC Peacock Premium.

concorde

Wondering how things are going with this.

From what I understand, entries were given assigned a day/time to film their programs. I believe those started early December and are ongoing.

So what happens if before your assigned day/time, the governor shuts down your rink? And even if you have filmed your entry, how do you practice if all the rinks in your state are closed?

I live in Pennsylvania and all indoor rinks close tomorrow until Jan 4. I believe our rink had two teams vying for a spot at Nationals. One team filmed their program on the 4th ; the other team was to film their program on the 19th. Now they would have to go to a neighboring state to practice if they wanted to be in reasonable shape for Nationals. (Would you since you don't know if your skater even qualified?)

Really a mess. I feel bad for the skaters but even worse for the parents of the skaters trying to navigate the mess.

Sylvia

TBD
From what I understand, entries were given assigned a day/time to film their programs. I believe those started early December and are ongoing.

So what happens if before your assigned day/time, the governor shuts down your rink? And even if you have filmed your entry, how do you practice if all the rinks in your state are closed?

I live in Pennsylvania and all indoor rinks close tomorrow until Jan 4. I believe our rink had two teams vying for a spot at Nationals. One team filmed their program on the 4th ; the other team was to film their program on the 19th.
Dec. 19th? I thought the filming/video submission window closed on Dec. 8 and judging is underway now. Results are supposed to be published the week of Dec. 21, according to the original timeline posted earlier in this thread - I found a more up-to-date timeline:
Nov. 17 – Dec. 8: Self-Scheduled Performance Dates (UPDATED)
Dec. 9-20 – Ongoing Scoring (Protest window of 12 hours. Athlete receives PDF protocol.)
Week of Dec. 21 – Notification of results for all events and confirmation of advancement to 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships.
NEW working link: https://www.uschampionshipseries.com/juniorsenior

Last edited:

concorde

Makes me wonder what the filming on the 19th was for. Hmmm ...

Daughter got injured in early October so have been following all of this from a distance since then. I feel so bad for the parents trying to navigate all of the obstacles this year.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I wonder if the performances will be made available for fans to watch online?!
Yes - as per an above post, on the USFS Fan Zone website, the week of Dec 21. Also on the Peacock streaming service.

I’m hoping that all US Qualifier films will be up a few days before Japanese & Russian Nationals “hit” us!

5Ali3

Dec. 19th? I thought the filming/video submission window closed on Dec. 8 and judging is underway now.

The announcement included a provision to apply for an extension to the filming deadline under extraordinary circumstances such as a rink closure, a skater testing positive or having a mandatory 14 day quarantine due to a household member testing positive, etc.

concorde

The announcement included a provision to apply for an extension to the filming deadline under extraordinary circumstances such as a rink closure, a skater testing positive or having a mandatory 14 day quarantine due to a household member testing positive, etc.
That probably explains it! Couple of skaters at our tested positive within the last couple of weeks and I know the 19th was "push back" date.

Dobre

I really appreciate how flexible USFS has been this season. Virtual competitions, safety procedures at SA, and extended deadlines have made a huge difference. I can't begin to imagine how challenging this season has been for the coaches, athletes, and their families; but I appreciate that for so many plan A's, there has also been a plan B.

maureenfarone

This is from Sylvia's post in TV Alerts this evening:

"In addition to coverage of the Championships, the 2021 U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series presented by Toyota will debut on Peacock on Dec. 22. The competition, which will be conducted virtually, enables junior and senior athletes from across the country to qualify for the U.S. Championships."

Sylvia

TBD
Update posted at https://www.uschampionshipseries.com/juniorsenior
"Advancement will be processed on Tuesday, December 22nd.
Note: athletes and coaches will receive their IJS protocols via email (from EMS/Product Support) to review prior to final posting."

USFS' Fan Zone lists the virtual qualifying competition as beginning on Tuesday, December 22 so it looks like the "live" streams on Peacock Premium were listed prematurely/are not available yet. I would expect a press release sometime today with more information on the streaming schedule, etc.

I can start a competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section when more is known (ETA link): 2021 USFS Championship Series (virtual qualifying competition for 2021 US Nationals)

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Posted originally in the Figure skating comes to Peacock thread:

I see something on my Peacock but trying to watch it doesn't work. There is Sr. Ladies' Free Skate 1 which claims to have started 2:15 ago but when I watch it, I just get a spinning cursor. There is also Jr Ladies Freee Skate 1 which it claims starts at 1:30pm my time (4:40pm on East Coast) No other items come up.

Also, I got these from typing F into the search box. They go away if I type FI! They seem to be listed as under "Ice Skating" and not "Figure Skating" but typing in ICE doesn't bring them up either. Neither does "U.S. F" (For US Figure Skating)

If anyone figures out how the various events are classified, please let us know!

Sylvia

TBD
Posted originally in the Figure skating comes to Peacock thread:
I've replied to you in the Peacock Premium thread in TV Alerts.

I came across this Portland, Oregon area article published earlier this month that details one coach's many challenges this season, including procuring ice in order to film the free skates for her students' virtual Nationals qualifying competition:

ETA that the streaming schedule appears incomplete still - this is what I found when searching Peacock on Monday evening (Dec. 21): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...rting-in-fall-2020.107653/page-4#post-5917016

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Juvenile, intermediate and novice programming and virtual competitive events will be moved to January through March 2021 as outlined below <snip>
New link: https://www.uschampionshipseries.com/juvintnov
"Novice Singles, Novice Pairs AND Juvenile, Intermediate and Novice Ice Dance will submit a video of a Free Skate or Free Dance for evaluation and qualification to the National High Performance Development Team."

Results are available for Novice Ladies, Men and Pairs; Juvenile, Intermediate and Novice Ice Dance (top 4 videos for the Novice disciplines are linked from here; Intermediate & Juvenile top 4 FD videos still to come):

Qualifiers for the 2021 National Development Team (alphabetical): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...rs_for_the_2021_National_Development_Team.pdf
(Athletes performing in the juvenile/intermediate singles & pairs audition who qualify for the 2021 National Development Team will be added to this document the week of March 29, 2021.)

2021 National High Performance Development Team qualifying/advancement info: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/documents/2021/3/2//Advancement_Information.pdf
Novice Ladies – Top 30 scores (83 submitted FS videos)
Novice Men – Top 20 scores (22 submitted FS videos)
Novice Pairs – Top six scores (9 teams)
Novice Ice Dance – Top nine scores (10 teams)
Intermediate Ice Dance – Top nine scores (10 teams)
Juvenile Ice Dance – Top nine scores (10 teams)

VIRTUAL RESULTS & ADVANCEMENT FOR AUDITIONS – JUVENILE / INTERMEDIATE EVENTS
Results will be posted publicly the week of March 29. The top scores in the nation as outlined
below will qualify for the 2021 National High Performance Development Team (age as of
Sept. 1, 2020):
Juvenile / Intermediate Girls Age 10 and younger – Top 10 scores
Juvenile / Intermediate Girls Age 11-13 – Top 20 scores*
Juvenile / Intermediate Girls Age 14 and older – Top 10 scores
Juvenile / Intermediate Boys Age 13 and younger – Top 10 scores
Juvenile / Intermediate Boys Age 14 and older – Top 10 scores
Juvenile / Intermediate Pairs - Top three scores
There are no alternates for the 2021 National High Performance Development Team.

*Please note this is an increase in the number of girls in the juvenile/intermediate 11-13 category, due to higher than
anticipated entry numbers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information